• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5, 4, 3, 2, FUN! 02/28 - 03/04 Disneyland Trip Report *Completed 4/18*

Very much enjoyed your trip report! I'm very jealous of you staying onsite (we're totally going to do that, but not with our kids, as we are WAY too expensive, needing like 2 rooms these days) and of your upcoming annual pass to WDW! I hope your Halloween trip is wonderful, and somewhat healing. I understand you wanting to be in a better place mentally and emotionally before getting pregnant. I don't normally struggle much, but when I'm pregnant are my roughest periods. Thankfully, everyone is different, and hopefully you'll sail through it when you're ready!

Thanks for reading! I was just talking to my husband about going back to Disneyland, but we need to figure out when we could possibly afford to stay on site again. I don't think I want to go back and not stay at the Disneyland Hotel. We've really spoiled ourselves now. :laughing: It is really expensive though and with three trips in the works over the next year to the World, we'll have to discuss deeply about what our plans are.

And thanks for your kind words and understanding. It's really a difficult time for me right now and I know that emotions can really go into overdrive when you do get pregnant so it's just safer this way. :)

I want to tell you how brave I think you are in facing the devastating loss of your dad head on and being open about it. That takes guts, girl! I know we haven't met, but I want to say that I'm also very proud of you in how you have used this to work on your own "stuff" (and we all have "stuff") and how you have also reached out to others in the midst of your own pain.

I wish you all of life's best, and tonight I will hold you up in my prayers. God bless and keep you.

Your trip reports were fun. I grew up in Southern California and I just loved strolling down memory lane with you in this trip report. YES! POTC at Disneyland is WAY better! THANK YOU! My DH doesn't believe me--oh, the dense thing he is! And Disneyland is just...more magic. I love WDW, and since I live in Texas we are making new multi generational memories at WDW but ONE DAY I will take my grandchildren and children to Disneyland and I will get to walk down the original Main Street! I will also take them to the Pacific Ocean, where I spent so many happy days...

You totally get it. I also loved what you wrote about the imagineers at the Chicago museum, about looking forward, moving ahead. A good reminder for all of us, when life seems better viewed over our shoulders, because in fact....There's a Great BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW, waiting just around the bend...

Be at peace, my friend, because your dad is. And the best is yet to come. There is lots of :flower1: and :love: and pixiedust: waiting for you and your husband.

Take care and be happy.

I want to tell you how brave I think you are in facing the devastating loss of your dad head on and being open about it. That takes guts, girl! I know we haven't met, but I want to say that I'm also very proud of you in how you have used this to work on your own "stuff" (and we all have "stuff") and how you have also reached out to others in the midst of your own pain.

I wish you all of life's best, and tonight I will hold you up in my prayers. God bless and keep you.

Your trip reports were fun. I grew up in Southern California and I just loved strolling down memory lane with you in this trip report. YES! POTC at Disneyland is WAY better! THANK YOU! My DH doesn't believe me--oh, the dense thing he is! And Disneyland is just...more magic. I love WDW, and since I live in Texas we are making new multi generational memories at WDW but ONE DAY I will take my grandchildren and children to Disneyland and I will get to walk down the original Main Street! I will also take them to the Pacific Ocean, where I spent so many happy days...

You totally get it. I also loved what you wrote about the imagineers at the Chicago museum, about looking forward, moving ahead. A good reminder for all of us, when life seems better viewed over our shoulders, because in fact....There's a Great BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW, waiting just around the bend...

Be at peace, my friend, because your dad is. And the best is yet to come. There is lots of :flower1: and :love: and pixiedust: waiting for you and your husband.

Take care and be happy.

Thanks so much, CaliTex. :) I appreciate the kind words and support. It's been a rough couple of months. I never realized how much my life could possibly change. I have to deal with this as openly and honestly as I can. It's the only way I'm going to get through it. I feel like it's helped me grow and move forward at a better pace had I held back.

I cannot believe that your husband doesn't believe you about Pirates of the Caribbean!!! I mean, either way it's one of my absolute must dos in the Disney parks... but it's hands down the best ride when talking about the Disneyland version. I'm already dying to get back to Disneyland but I think having to wait a few years always makes it so much more special. It the mean time, I'll get to enjoy the World. ;)

One Little Spark was such an inspirational presentation and experience. I loved getting to see a Disney Legend talk about his journey and his experience with Walt. Hearing younger Imagineers too that are currently bringing us new rides - it was wonderful.

Thanks for reading and I'm so glad you enjoyed my report. And thank you again for taking the time to write to me. I appreciate it!

mindylee847, :hug: You really are being very brave and strong. Yes, life changes in the blink of an eye. We have a saying in our family, "we are always in the middle of change". Its a way we have to remind each other to appreciate the good times and to persevere in the bad times.

I believe no pain is ever wasted, not if we allow the pain we experience to make us more compassionate people. Mental illness is a terrible illness, and it's often devastating to those that are its victim, and those that love the sufferer. It bothers me very much that there is a stigma involved to mental illness. People can say, "I have cancer" and receive much empathy (as well they should) but if they say, "I have life-altering anxiety" they are told to pull themselves together. Would we tell someone with stage 4 cancer to toughen up? Pull themselves together? Of course not. Yet, that is how the mentally ill are often treated. And until we get past that Salem-Witch-Trial-Mentality, many more people will suffer needlessly, and alone, and that's just...wrong. We can do better, and we must.

<end of rantlet>

POTC and DL in general: my DH is like, "How can it be better? It's the same ride, the same stuff." So literal minded. :rolleyes: Now I'm curious---when he eventually goes to DL (he's been once, but it was a long, long time ago) will he notice the difference? And YES--the fresh air feel of DL makes a difference. So observant of you!

I love the Main Street, and all of New Orleans Square and Frontierland! For me, Liberty Square just isn't as cool, the "Frontierland" is virtually non-existent, and the HM at WDW is kinda stuck in a weird place, IMO, whereas with DL there is a better themeing/story to these areas where POTC and HM are. (Geeking out here.) DL is summertime and sunshine and long, brilliant blue sky days. WDW is Christmastime and enjoying the special events and also hoping it isn't too hot.

Granted, I am extremely sentimental about DL and I recognize that colors my perceptions, but still, DL just has that extra *something*. I have made a vow though, to not compare, but rather to appreciate each for what they have. DL has that extra magic (to me, anyhow) and that more laid back California feel, while WDW has four theme parks all within one complex, some really great eateries and uh....humidity. :flower3: LOL. But WDW also holds lots of great memories.

And I had to grimace about the rude CMs you encountered. That's kinda California, too, I'm afraid. Flapping her hand at you? Ugh. My joke about California people is that they aren't deliberately rude, they are just super self-absorbed, so it comes off as rudeness. :bitelip: Lots of nice people, too, though.

I wanted to ask you, was the place you liked to eat at in the park the old Plaza Restaurant, do you know? Is that still there? My family loved that place. I think the old Carnation cafe was on the left of the castle, a little further back, the old Plaza was to the right forward of the castle, as you faced the castle. They used to have a band stand at the Carnation cafe and they had musicians that played big band music and swing, and my mom and dad used to dance there. They also used to have a jazz combo in New Orleans Square. Did you notice one when you were there? So great just to hang out and listen.

I really enjoyed your post about the imagineers. You definitely need to try to do the dining experience. I'm sure the imagineer would greatly enjoy it as well!

mindylee847, :hug: You really are being very brave and strong. Yes, life changes in the blink of an eye. We have a saying in our family, "we are always in the middle of change". Its a way we have to remind each other to appreciate the good times and to persevere in the bad times.

I believe no pain is ever wasted, not if we allow the pain we experience to make us more compassionate people. Mental illness is a terrible illness, and it's often devastating to those that are its victim, and those that love the sufferer. It bothers me very much that there is a stigma involved to mental illness. People can say, "I have cancer" and receive much empathy (as well they should) but if they say, "I have life-altering anxiety" they are told to pull themselves together. Would we tell someone with stage 4 cancer to toughen up? Pull themselves together? Of course not. Yet, that is how the mentally ill are often treated. And until we get past that Salem-Witch-Trial-Mentality, many more people will suffer needlessly, and alone, and that's just...wrong. We can do better, and we must.

<end of rantlet>

POTC and DL in general: my DH is like, "How can it be better? It's the same ride, the same stuff." So literal minded. :rolleyes: Now I'm curious---when he eventually goes to DL (he's been once, but it was a long, long time ago) will he notice the difference? And YES--the fresh air feel of DL makes a difference. So observant of you!

I love the Main Street, and all of New Orleans Square and Frontierland! For me, Liberty Square just isn't as cool, the "Frontierland" is virtually non-existent, and the HM at WDW is kinda stuck in a weird place, IMO, whereas with DL there is a better themeing/story to these areas where POTC and HM are. (Geeking out here.) DL is summertime and sunshine and long, brilliant blue sky days. WDW is Christmastime and enjoying the special events and also hoping it isn't too hot.

Granted, I am extremely sentimental about DL and I recognize that colors my perceptions, but still, DL just has that extra *something*. I have made a vow though, to not compare, but rather to appreciate each for what they have. DL has that extra magic (to me, anyhow) and that more laid back California feel, while WDW has four theme parks all within one complex, some really great eateries and uh....humidity. :flower3: LOL. But WDW also holds lots of great memories.

And I had to grimace about the rude CMs you encountered. That's kinda California, too, I'm afraid. Flapping her hand at you? Ugh. My joke about California people is that they aren't deliberately rude, they are just super self-absorbed, so it comes off as rudeness. :bitelip: Lots of nice people, too, though.

I wanted to ask you, was the place you liked to eat at in the park the old Plaza Restaurant, do you know? Is that still there? My family loved that place. I think the old Carnation cafe was on the left of the castle, a little further back, the old Plaza was to the right forward of the castle, as you faced the castle. They used to have a band stand at the Carnation cafe and they had musicians that played big band music and swing, and my mom and dad used to dance there. They also used to have a jazz combo in New Orleans Square. Did you notice one when you were there? So great just to hang out and listen.

I really enjoyed your post about the imagineers. You definitely need to try to do the dining experience. I'm sure the imagineer would greatly enjoy it as well!

Thank you! :) I'm so happy to know that there are people out there that understand mental illness. It's been a really huge eye-opening experience for me throughout all of this.

So... the Plaza Restaurant is still on the right when you are practically in the hub and the Carnation Cafe is on the left in the middle-ish. I think. I'm trying to remember. :) I absolutely adored the Carnation Cafe and hearing the Dapper Dans and the Main Street music. It was pure magic. I didn't see the jazz band in New Orleans Square but I think that's just because I wasn't over there at the right times for it.

And yes!! I should definitely do that Imagineer dining experience. I keep wanting too but I never book it in time. I should plan on doing it on my March trip! Which I'm in a deep debate with my husband about whether we should stay at Coronado or Fort Wilderness. There aren't any discounts yet so it's a good $1000 difference and I don't know if I can swallow that for a room! lol But I definitely want to do that dining - I'll have to remember to make that ADR! :D

What about renting points? We are doing a split stay in December. December 10 through 16 on rented points at BWV, just my DH and I for our anniversary :love: then December 16 through 19 at Wilderness Lodge, Courtyard bunkbeds free dining, with our two oldest grandkids, DGS, 10 and DGD, 6. :love::love:

I was happy with how "affordable" the villa was. We also want to check out if we like staying in the villas because we are considering DVC ownership. Or permanent rentership, is more like it.

Yep, that sounds correct on the restaurants. Plaza was always great, too. Right on Main Street pretty much. But it is way mo' bigger than the plaza at WDW, and also the DL version was buffet style. Great chocolate cake.

We can make ADRs in 12 days! Now if I could just make up my mind....Narcossee's is for sure, and Yachtsman Steakhouse, and I think CP with the kids, and for sure Askershus..but then maybe....:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter