50 Points Enough?

We just bought boardwalk and waiting for points to be loaded and already freaking out that we won’t be able to book. Maybe it’s because or refurbishment?

You will be able to book at some point. Just remains to be seen whether you will be able to get the room and dates you want.

Personally I give little thought to refurbishment. My room is clean when I go. I do prefer the villas that have the Murphy bed such as at Polynesian, and if they come to BWV, that would be a plus. I'm not up on who is getting what new features.

You will be able to book at some point. Just remains to be seen whether you will be able to get the room and dates you want.

Personally I give little thought to refurbishment. My room is clean when I go. I do prefer the villas that have the Murphy bed such as at Polynesian, and if they come to BWV, that would be a plus. I'm not up on who is getting what new features.

Hoping we can get points by end of January. Our dates our 3-8 sept .. right in the middle of refurbishment time. We are ok with any kind of room as we have quite a few points (contract was loaded) and we are a family of 6. Hoping we can get something. Thanks.

We just bought boardwalk and waiting for points to be loaded and already freaking out that we won’t be able to book. Maybe it’s because or refurbishment?
I understand you! We are waiting to see if our BWV passes ROFR so we don’t even have it yet, and I’m already worried about availability too. I knew the standard studios were difficult, but I didn’t think as an owner that I’d have a hard time with garden view at 11 months, even in the fall.

I understand you! We are waiting to see if our BWV passes ROFR so we don’t even have it yet, and I’m already worried about availability too. I knew the standard studios were difficult, but I didn’t think as an owner that I’d have a hard time with garden view at 11 months, even in the fall.
All the best with your offer. Hoping the ROFR lady is still quiet enough to let it pass through. We beary have dvc resale members first time this month when our contracts closed.. wanted to buy direct but can’t buy from Bermuda. Have to visit orlando first. We got impatient and got resales 😅. This dec was awesome - most of the contracts got cleared so we got 3 😅😅😅. Only worried about BWV as our UY is Feb and there are points banked from prev year. Probably will bank this year to next year if availability is thin. Fall is our fav month to visit (esp sept) so hoping we can get some reservation by waitlist if if none is available.

For those of us on the younger side, the newer resorts make a lot of sense. And direct makes sense so that we can stay at the future resorts about to be built.

That’s why I plan on mostly purchasing small direct contracts.

If buying a small contract (like the 50 points, for example) to add on to an existing membership and to be able to have the home resort advantage at a resort you would stay at less frequently, how often would you be able to use 150 points at once (when using the current UY’s points and banking and borrowing from the previous and next UY)?

If buying a small contract (like the 50 points, for example) to add on to an existing membership and to be able to have the home resort advantage at a resort you would stay at less frequently, how often would you be able to use 150 points at once (when using the current UY’s points and banking and borrowing from the previous and next UY)?
Every 3 years.

Hi! I am in ROFR for a 50 points resale contract at BWV. I do realize it’s 2042 expiration and we are fine with that. Quick info… we travel to WDW every other year..always Deluxe. Big Disney fans but kids are teens now so trying to think long term. We love EPCOT resorts. My husband and I particularly love BW and want to stay for maybe 4-5 days every other year hence the small contract. We do want to stay in a one-bedroom occasionally when kids are still willing to join but mainly looking at studios. We are ok to bank/borrow but I am thinking I should pick up one more 50 point contract either a) direct at RIV b) resale at BCV or c) resale AKV as we do love that resort as well although we have never stayed there.
Realistically, what are the minimum points to not go crazy every other year? We also do want a little flexibility to have sleep around points occasionally.
50 points to stay in a studio every other year using the borrowing system for a 4-5 days is very doable. BWV 1br standard view with borrowing might be doable but it would take a bit of planning, along with being online ready to go at 8a or walking. We had a 55 point contract with BC that we used for about 5 years that way. When we decided we wanted to use it every year we purchased an additional 30 points and now can stay every year for 4/5 nights in a BC studio villa.

Ok thanks! That’s what I figured, but just wanted to make sure there weren’t any rules or caveats that would make it be any different.
The caveat is that Disney has the right to change the borrowing and banking procedures, which could render the 3 year scheme less beneficial or useless. Will that happen, who knows, but probably not barring more unusual circumstances like COVID.

We only have 50 points at SSR. We either do a split stay between a DVC resort and a cash stay or between Disney and Universal since the kids are more into that lately. We homeschool so we can go when our points can be stretched further. It works for us

I think it's because rooms are being taken out of inventory due to the refurbishment. We know that all Boardwalk rooms were taken out starting in September through Thanksgiving (probably due to exterior work. They usually don't take out entire booking categories for interior refurbs).. That means many BWV members booked Pool/Garden view. My guess is that portions of the Pool/Garden and Standard view inventory have also been removed. I don't remember Pool/Garden categories booking up this quickly in other years.

Anyway, although Fall 2023 may be difficult to book, history suggests that it won't be the pattern going forward. I do agree that standard view studios will continue to be a challenge for most times of the year.

Last edited:
I think it's because rooms are being taken out of inventory due to the refurbishment. We know that all Boardwalk rooms were taken out starting in September through Thanksgiving (probably due to exterior work. They usually don't tke out entire booking categories for interior refurbs).. That means many BWV members booked Pool/Garden view. My guess is that portions of the Pool/Garden and Standard view inventory have also been removed. I don't remember pool/Garden categories booking up this quickly in other years.

Anyway, although Fall 2023 may be difficult to book, history suggests that it won't be the pattern going forward. I do agree that standard view studios will continue to be a challenge for most times of the year.
Thank you for this. We will try to book .. if nothing’s there for our dates - better to then bank the current year points to next year and rent the previously banked points so we don’t get stuck with them.
Will use our other owned points for sept dates … if only Disney releases them soon. It’s been a week since closing so still time I guess.

We only have 50 points at SSR. We either do a split stay between a DVC resort and a cash stay or between Disney and Universal since the kids are more into that lately. We homeschool so we can go when our points can be stretched further. It works for us
I would do 200 total, so a rolling 600 in a 3-year span.
This would be ideal but honestly we don’t want to pay more than 100 points worth of dues yearly.

I did just that with two 50 point resale contracts, one at BWV and VGF. Every other year gives us 200 points for a nice split stay in a 1 bed or a longer stay in studios. I plan on adding another 50-75 direct for the possibility of booking the new hotels down the road.

I did just that with two 50 point resale contracts, one at BWV and VGF. Every other year gives us 200 points for a nice split stay in a 1 bed or a longer stay in studios. I plan on adding another 50-75 direct for the possibility of booking the new hotels down the road.
How is your split stay? Is it a pain booking wise? I am kind of thinking about this with VGF.

I think 50 points is just not enough. You should get twice as much, or more, if you can. I REALLY don't think you would ever REGRET having the additional points. But DO make sure they are the same resort and Use Year, so you can roll them into one account. 50 points each in two different accounts would just be frustrating. I kind of run into that because I have Animal Kingdom points with two different Use Years and I always wish they were together. I get by and make it work, but it is just an extra hassle.

I would NOT recommend buying the additional points at BCV or Riviera. 50 points scattered out here and there just IS NOT ENOUGH to be comfortable with. At 7 months to 11 months you would have to book at two different resorts and only try to combine them into one resort after 7 months, and by that point EVERYONE else is booking, too, and it is hard.

I say this from experience. I have over 1000 points at 3 different resorts (AK, Poly and BLT) so I have enough to play around with and I can ALWAYS get something I like, BUT, I have a lot of points. If I had less, I can see exactly how hard it would be.

Trust me on this. Get the same resort and Use Year.
Someone else mentioned that they have two small contract, same UY different resorts and they do split stay every other year with 200 points. Is that a pain?

You can buy up to 24 each UY. They can only be bought when making a reservation but you can do them over the course of several trips.

If you need to cancel those pints would still expire at the end of the UY.
And you can only add them at the 7 month mark not 11. Correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter