• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

503 errors plaguing the site?

I have the same issues, only sometimes I get it when I try to open a thread. I can open some without getting the error and others give me the error. Also, I often can't go to "view first unread" or move on the the next page. The inconsistency is what's so baffling.

Errors that are random and that cannot be consistently reproduced are a bane of tech support. The more information we can get on this, the more chance there is that we can help them figure out what the problem is.

When I get home, I'm going to see if there's any firefox logs I can find and post them (or PM them to webmaster).

OP checking in here. I can appreciate the complexity of dealing with intermittent issues.

I can also tell you that for no obvious reason, I seem to experience the 503 problem very little now. I have been reading the board mostly with Safari for Windows, but when I go back to Firefox I don't see the problem nearly as much as I used to. I also continue to read the site without problems using Firefox for OS X.

I've actually been using Firefox on 3 different computers and I simply can't recreate the issue. Totally weird

I'm getting the same error message on 2 different computers when using Firefox. Another error I'm getting (Firefox) is when I try to edit a post and click on preview I get a message that the boards will be closed for 30 min. for maintenance. (also have seen 45 min.) I click on go back arrow and then on Submit button and it goes through. Anyone else?

I can confirm the editing/preview error, running Firefox, looking at Firebug it is returning a 503 error for that particular function hence the fallback message.

I'm getting the same error message on 2 different computers when using Firefox. Another error I'm getting (Firefox) is when I try to edit a post and click on preview I get a message that the boards will be closed for 30 min. for maintenance. (also have seen 45 min.) I click on go back arrow and then on Submit button and it goes through. Anyone else?

That's interesting, the database maintanence message comes up because when I have the boards shut down I have to manually swap that page out and people "get" that message better than a generic database error message. I have replaced the page with the database error page so if it happens again you will get a specific error message. If you could post the message you get it might help us figure this out

As I can reproduce this one here is the error message:

Database error
The The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
* Open the www.disboards.com home page, then try to open another page.
* Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.disboards.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

(503 service unavailable)

Here's a new error I am getting when trying to preview a posting after editing it.

Database Error Database error
The The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
* Open the disboards.com home page, then try to open another page.
* Click the Back button to try another link.

The disboards.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

This is the same error the above poster is mentioning. In order to post my edit I use the go back button and then submit revised posting. Then if I have an error in the posting I have to do it again.

This is while using Mozilla Firefox.

I am not having any problem using my laptop (firefox) however I am getting the 503 error 2/3rds of the time on my phone. Not sure what browser its running, but its a HTC Hero Android based phone.

Am getting 503 error message that the server is busy only on some threads. Anyone else or is it just me?

No, you aren't. I only get it on some threads, too (but only with Firefox). For now, I'm using IE just for the Disboards to avoid the problem.

I only just was able to open your response. The threads are inconsistently opening.

Threads you have previously opened will still open, but threads you haven't opened before will not.

I have always had this problem intermittently, but right now I can't access any new threads -- on Firefox, Opera or Safari -- and it's been going on since yesterday evening.

I can open everything just fine in the eTicket app on my iPhone.

What is causing this? It's so frustrating!

Is anyone up to trying an experiment?
I've seen some evidence that if you create a new profile in firefox it clears up the problem. You can create a new profile without losing your old one. If a few people that were having the problem could do this, it would help diagnose the problem. Just to warn you this should probably be tried first by power users, if you don't do it correctly you could lose your bookmarks etc.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows

I am only having problems on my macbook but none on my work computer or the kids desktop. I will have my DH look into it. So you think the firewall maybe? TIA.

WebMaster Alex, I found my problem, I updated my software, the darn MacBook:cool1: has been prompting me for a while, but I never want to shut her down, but I did tonight, and TADA, NO MORE ERROR messages while trying to open threads. Yahoo!

WebMaster Alex, I found my problem, I updated my software, the darn MacBook:cool1: has been prompting me for a while, but I never want to shut her down, but I did tonight, and TADA, NO MORE ERROR messages while trying to open threads. Yahoo!

That is what worked for me a few months back. I hate updating sometimes because I fried a HD once during an update. BUT in this case, it worked. No problems since. :thumbsup2

What version are you using now? It might be helpful for other people to know what version you updated to

I've been getting 503 errors yesterday and today. I was using FF 3.5 I think, I even upgraded to 3.6 and I'm still getting them. I can open them in IE and they work but only a few work in Firefox. The Tech threads work and the Trip Reports that I already had open work. I've been trying to open threads in the Theme Park Strategies section and they are all giving the 503.

What version are you using now? It might be helpful for other people to know what version you updated to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter