50th birthday August 2019 or Just November 2020?

NY Pirate Princess

DIS Veteran
My dream is to be in the magic kingdom on my 50th birthday in mid-august, but my husband and daughter can't take the heat and humidity of Orlando. We have never gone in the summer but did visit during a very hot and humid May. My husband has bravely told me to book and he will make it work. We have a 7 day two family trip coming up late fall of 2020. We live in upstate New York with humid summers but nothing like florida. Should I just wait until 2020 or go for it in August 2019 too?

Only you can decide that. Florida in summer is hot...and humid. You'll get pop up t-storms. Some day you'll get them, some you won't (it's not daily). It could be storming in MK and sunny in AK at the same time. A little common sense goes a long way with dealing with the heat, but some people just don't like it. If you go, just do things like CoP or Philharmagic during the heat of the day.

I used to be in the 'go for it' camp until we visited with someone who could not enjoy her trip and almost ruined ours because of the heat. In the end she stayed in the room and pool and the rest of us had a much better last few days - as did she.

We live in Ontario which I believe can have similar weather to upstate NY.

My recommendation is to think of the VERY hottest and most humid day you can imagine in NY and could your husband handle that? Yes, there are many places that are air conditioned amazingly well but there are also many times when reality is you are outside walking in the heat and humidity.

If he thinks he can take one for the team and go for your 50th I'd highly recommend you do. If thinking of the above gives him second thoughts, you may wish to reconsider.

If it's an either or, stick to the fall 2020 trip. The weather will be better and there is so much more to do there in the fall - MNSHHP, F&W, etc.

If you can do both, go for it! We go the last week of August every year and, yes, it's really, really hot and humid. If you go at RD, take mid-day breaks and go back to the parks in the evenings, it's doable.

I’ve personally never gone in August, but we did go at the end of September and it was HOT! It was pretty brutal, but manageable. If you can do both trips, I say go for it! Stay hydrated and take afternoon breaks. If you can only do one of the trips, then stick with fall 2020.

Thanks everyone. We are a star wars family so 2020 is happening. I think scrappinginOntario has nailed my fear. I will have to find a cooler place for my celebration. I guess I already knew, I just wanted to float the idea in the disney universe for a while.

I live in upstate New York and went last year at the end of August. Some
Days it was over 100 due to humidity. I found myself needing to rest more often but besides that I still had a blast. If you take breaks from the heat I think it is manageable but going forward I wouldn’t go in August again. Lol

August is the hottest month of the year. I'm not sure if your husband would enjoy it. Sure there's plenty of a/c but it does you no good if you're trying to enjoy rides that require you to stand in a line that lacks a/c.

Sooo hard to give up a trip that is within your grasp. Having been there for record heat in June and Sept, and being a cool weather lover, I can appreciate your husband and daughter's point. Being a Disney fanatic, I can truly appreciate yours.

How nice that your husband is willing, and even nicer that you are willing to delay for him. With those attitudes, you will have a wonderful trip whenever you go.

I've learned to embrace the Disney heat and rain of late summer, despite the fact that I'm living in dry southern California with a cool ocean breeze. I'm not prepared to move and work somewhere that hot and humid, but on a theme park vacation, I have come to embrace it but it required a change in mindset. I was almost a little wistful when I went in November and the evenings got chilly.

Or... what about changing your 50th birthday to visit be at "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom," which is Disneyland? It will still potentially be hot, but the chances of humidity and rain are very low in Anaheim.

Thank you! We traveled to the World November of last year and the idea of giving up my birthday and NOT going for three years is a lot to navigate.

Disneyland is on my radar but it doesn't have the draw for my milestone birthday.

Maybe i can get by this one with a 60th birthday in mk come heck or high water!

QUOTE="LuvMyEAR, post: 59330441, member: 252922"]Sooo hard to give up a trip that is within your grasp. Having been there for record heat in June and Sept, and being a cool weather lover, I can appreciate your husband and daughter's point. Being a Disney fanatic, I can truly appreciate yours.

How nice that your husband is willing, and even nicer that you are willing to delay for him. With those attitudes, you will have a wonderful trip whenever you go.[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter