• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

I have not read the entire thread, but have any of you with AG doll loving children seen the camper that Target has?! SO cute!!! I bought the last one at my store. My DD is going to LOVE it! Has anyone seen the food in the store that goes with it? I couldn't find that

http://www.target.com/p/our-generat...rodSlot=medium_1_1&term=our generation camper

14226101_121010143000.jpg

Hmm, has your dd actually seen the Target camper? My DD8 saw it and said, "What a piece of plastic crap!" If your daughter has actually played with the real AG campers from a few years ago, this one is truly lacking.
Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen it in person yet.

Hmm, has your dd actually seen the Target camper? My DD8 saw it and said, "What a piece of plastic crap!" If your daughter has actually played with the real AG campers from a few years ago, this one is truly lacking.
Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen it in person yet.

She is 5, so I'm sure she won't mind :) and the price is probably a third of the AG one. She has 7 AG dolls, so have to cut corners somewhere ;)

I just saw that Lanie's camper was $295 before it was sold out. Um, not going to happen in this house EVER LOL! My kid will be happy with her "plastic piece of crap" ;)

Is everyone done w their shopping?

I finished a couple days before Thanksgiving. Nice to be done. Now I have to wrap it all but I have no idea where to put it since we have an 8 month old golden retriever who tears everything up. I'm certain if I put gifts under the tree he will go after them. I may have to stack everything on the dining room table.

I'm almost finished. I need to pick up a few gift cards and will do that at Kroger this week when I do my grocery run and while I can get the 4x fuel points. I also have a small Amazon order to place for a few things for DH and DD's ballet leo and skirt that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I wrap as I go because I hate to wrap so that's almost finished too. Today I've spent the day working on Spa Jars for DD's dance teachers and speech therapist. Just finished swapping out her bathroom decor for the holiday bathroom decor and just redid the tree in her room because the lights went out :(. Now I'm off to fold laundry and then work on downloading instrumental holiday tunes for a "name that holiday tune" game for DD's class party (I'm room mom).

I'm done! I've been following along with all of you and have gotten some great ideas. Here's what I ended up with:
2 year old son: Disney steam train set from Santa (bought at WDW in August!) and a Thomas track master set from us, along with lots of books, several little cars and trains, and 3 Melissa and Doug puzzles and a Thomas DVD

Husband: north face jacket bought on clearance last spring, ear buds, new socks and underwear

Dog: stuffed bone from Target, dog treats

Mom and Dad: photo calendar, and since I got Dad's name in the name draw he got pajamas, a book about Seal Team 6, and a flannel shirt

Brother: I have 4 brothers but since we draw names I only bought for one. He loves REI so I got him a logo stainless steel coffee mug and a gift card

10 year old niece: her birthday is this weekend so I got her a tinkerbell cup and put a Justice gift card inside for the birthday, and got her a duct tape crafts book and 3 rolls of fun tape for Christmas

12 year old nephew: snap circuits set

Husband's sister: gift card to Target

We do dinner out with husband's brother's family so only need to buy for their son (above)

Good friend's 3 year old: roll and play game from amazon

Other good friend's 2 year old and infant: duplo read and build set and Cinderella little people figurines

Sister in law, my grandparents, son's godparents: photo calendar

Also bought Legos for the giving tree at church, and my mom and I make almond roca for friends and family each year.

White elephant exchange with friends: chia head Obama and a roll of pink duct tape packaged with almond roca to make it more desirable.

Still haven't decided on the white elephant for work but other than that, I'm done! Yay!

Wait-I knew that list wasn't nearly long enough! Haha. We get my husband's aunt a flower delivery right before Christmas. That's ordered and paid for. And then I got my son's daycare provider $25 to Fred Meyer on a gift card, and $5 each to Starbucks for her 2 daughters that help her. And that's it-I think!!!!

For my side, YES! I actually shipped off boxes to my sister and brother before Thanksgiving and just finished wrapping for the box to my parents and grandmother (it's packed -- just have to ship). I have everything bought now for the kids minus one puzzle for DS and it's more a matter of restraint! Need a medium gift for DH and to pick up some more GCs for daycare workers, etc. and make up my usual treats for the holidays. Then done!

Hey I have a randomish question/dilemma here. I thought I was mostly done. Then I discovered that the inlaws already have what we got them. So DH actually asked his mom what she wanted. I was expecting something crazy since she usually asks for $200 purses for Mothers Day, etc. Anyhow, she said that she wants the girls birthstone charms for her necklace. This is what I consider a very reasonable request. However, the charms for both girls is more than what we had budgeted for both MIL and FIL together. So what do I do? FIL is not really about gifts so we could just get him something small and he would be fine. I can't really go cheaper with the charms because she is going to put them with the charms for my stepkids so they should probably match (especially since DSD and DD4 have the same birth month so their charms would be the exact same). I was thinking maybe get her one this year and one next year (maybe for her birthday or mothers day or something) but would that be wierd? Another option would be to cut back on what I am getting DH or return something that I got one of the littler girls. Thoughts?

Hello ladies!!!! WOW!!! It's been non-stop for the last two weeks since Disney...got home on Sat, was sick on Sunday and thought I was better after some OTC meds....kids had school Mon and Tues,. Wed we went out of town for Thanksgiving...still wasn't feeling too hot....but of course Doc's were closed for the holiday weekend,...Mon night my 16 yo had an appendicitis and we ended up having emergency surgery Tues morning...Came home late Wed afternoon and I finally got a Drs appt....have had a UTI since before vacation!!!!!! DANG!!! No wonder I was so tired!!! So,...we are all recouping and on the mend...got most of my shopping finished last week thank goodness! And my ds16 will be 17 tomorrow...where does the time go? So,...it's been crazy here, but I only have a few stocking stuffers left to get for the kids... For others I do the goodie baskets and I will make my lists and grocery shop for all the baking stuff at the end of the week.....as of tomorrow we will be 3 weeks out from Christmas Day!!!!!!

Hey I have a randomish question/dilemma here. I thought I was mostly done. Then I discovered that the inlaws already have what we got them. So DH actually asked his mom what she wanted. I was expecting something crazy since she usually asks for $200 purses for Mothers Day, etc. Anyhow, she said that she wants the girls birthstone charms for her necklace. This is what I consider a very reasonable request. However, the charms for both girls is more than what we had budgeted for both MIL and FIL together. So what do I do? FIL is not really about gifts so we could just get him something small and he would be fine. I can't really go cheaper with the charms because she is going to put them with the charms for my stepkids so they should probably match (especially since DSD and DD4 have the same birth month so their charms would be the exact same). I was thinking maybe get her one this year and one next year (maybe for her birthday or mothers day or something) but would that be wierd? Another option would be to cut back on what I am getting DH or return something that I got one of the littler girls. Thoughts?

Maybe....get both charms now and nothing for birthday or mothers day except something the kids make her.

I was thinking maybe get her one this year and one next year (maybe for her birthday or mothers day or something) but would that be wierd? Another option would be to cut back on what I am getting DH or return something that I got one of the littler girls. Thoughts?

I would do either getting her one now (hint at a future one coming) and another for a combo MD/bday gift or give both now as a combo Christmas, MD, bday gift. I would not stiff FIL or reduce the gifts for your DH or the girls because she is asking for something that is beyond your budget. She might as well continue to get the message that you have not yet won the lottery and your budget is limited. :)

I would do either getting her one now (hint at a future one coming) and another for a combo MD/bday gift or give both now as a combo Christmas, MD, bday gift. I would not stiff FIL or reduce the gifts for your DH or the girls because she is asking for something that is beyond your budget. She might as well continue to get the message that you have not yet won the lottery and your budget is limited. :)

I'm with Pesky. I don't know your situation but we had to have a sit down after our 2nd child was born and explain to my in laws that we couldn't afford big Christmases. We were spending $300 on each on them every year! :eek: Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do. I know how tricky in laws can be.

I'm just about finished. I still need a couple more things for DS15, I think I'm going to pick up a tv for his room and I need to buy another gift certificate. I'm getting him a gc to indoor skydiving and one for indoor go-karts, does anyone know of a creative way to package them? I was going to wrap them together, but all I can think of is putting them in a shirt box :confused3 but that seems a little boring.

Besides that I need a couple more stocking stuffers for DH, probably candy, one more McDonald's GC for the kids' stockings and a gc for a teacher. I know she has a husband and two kids so I was thinking about maybe a movie theater gc, but maybe I should just stick to Walmart.

I'm just about finished. I still need a couple more things for DS15, I think I'm going to pick up a tv for his room and I need to buy another gift certificate. I'm getting him a gc to indoor skydiving and one for indoor go-karts, does anyone know of a creative way to package them? I was going to wrap them together, but all I can think of is putting them in a shirt box :confused3 but that seems a little boring.

Besides that I need a couple more stocking stuffers for DH, probably candy, one more McDonald's GC for the kids' stockings and a gc for a teacher. I know she has a husband and two kids so I was thinking about maybe a movie theater gc, but maybe I should just stick to Walmart.

You know those little paratrooper toys that float down from the sky? They are cheap at the Dollar Store and it would be a cute thing to package that with the indoor skydiving. For the go-carts, I would package that with a hot wheels. Just something to add a little mystery to the package.

I'm with you, trying to make gift cards more fun for my DS14. I'm adding cheap headphones (he goes through them like water) to an itunes gift card. Any ideas for clothing store gift cards?

Maria :upsidedow

You know those little paratrooper toys that float down from the sky? They are cheap at the Dollar Store and it would be a cute thing to package that with the indoor skydiving. For the go-carts, I would package that with a hot wheels. Just something to add a little mystery to the package.

I'm with you, trying to make gift cards more fun for my DS14. I'm adding cheap headphones (he goes through them like water) to an itunes gift card. Any ideas for clothing store gift cards?

Maria :upsidedow

Those are great ideas, I love the paratrooper :)

How about tucking the clothing cards into a wallet or a shirt pocket (maybe a cheap pocket t-shirt from walmart).

la79al said:

Hello, I know this situation is a tricky one, but my vote is to buy the two charms so she has a whole set. Otherwise, it will give her an excuse to comment in a negative way, why she has X out of y grand kids represented on the necklace. She obviously is clueless in the appropriate gift department ( 200 dollars for Mother's Day gift?!)' so don't expect her to get in line with your expectations, expenses, budget. I agree, skimp on the 2013 gifts, go creative rather than $$$$$, and it might even out. Good luck.
Thanking God for the Mother in Law I had! :) Deb

So how are folks doing now? Resting on your gift-wrapped laurels? Or fighting anxiety attacks at the thought of all there is to do yet?

The shopping is mostly done for me but just completing the wrapping. And now I need to get the teacher gifts, etc. Plus bake the homemade stuff and I have NO idea when I'm going to get a chance to do that. One day at a time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter