6..5..4..3..1..Blast off (May 2010)--updated itinerary

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
6, 5, 4, 3, 1 refers to the ages of the children on this trip! Blast hopefully applies to the great time we will have and not what we want to do to ourselves by the end of this vacation! ;)

First let me say that although I'm a long time reader of TR's and DIS boards in general, this is my first attempt at a TR. Since half the fun is in the planning, I thought I'd start a preTR.

Who's going?

My family:
IMG2_0006.jpg
14778620000.jpg

:idea: DH: Almost 40 :laughing: (He's going to get tired of me saying that this year!) A big Disney fan in his own right but prefers people to think I'm the Disney nut. He appreciates my OCD planning, but questions me too much!

:wizard: Jacob (DS5): A five year old boy who had his first trip to WDW at 5 months old. 3 trips total to WDW, 1 trip to DL, and 1 Disney cruise. A well traveled 5yr old who has been to over 15 states and a few countries all before even starting Kindergarten! He is really wants to be a magician when he grows up and was thrilled when he got a magic hat and wand for Christmas.
DSCF5687.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

(The first pic was just before our first extended family trip in 2007. It was his way of preparing for our trip! He was almost 3yrs old. The second picture was taken on our Disney cruise when he was almost 5. Snow White is his favorite princess!)

:sulley: Max (DS3): A three and a half year old boy who didn't get to go to WDW until he was 15mos old. He's had 2 trips to WDW, 1 trip to DL, and 1 Disney cruise. He also has traveled to as many states and countries as his brother, just not quite as many times. He's a little tough guy with a quick temper, but a real soft side too. He wants to be a mommy when he grows up and will get real mad if you tell him that's not possible!
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG2_0004.jpg
IMG2_0005.jpg

::MinnieMo Ella (DD1): She's 11 months old now, but will be 16 months old on our trip. Her first trip to WDW was at 7 months old, but we only stayed on property for a few days and only visited MK for MNSSHP--no other park time, so she hasn't been fully initiated. She was on the Disney cruise with us too. She's only been to six states so far and at least two more planned this year. She's a little angel! :littleangel: A little shorty with a super round face, beautiful big blue eyes, a smile that goes on for miles, and one big dimple that is like the cherry on top of her cuteness!
IMG.jpg
ella3mo.jpg
(She's 7mos old in the first pic and only 3 mos old in the second picture. Her plentiful hair has turned from dark brown to red to blondish now.)

:wave2: Me: I'm 37. My first trip to WDW was when I was 20. I went with DH who was my boyfriend at the time. Looking back on it, we were such amateurs! We went to DL on our honeymoon and actually wasted our "Magic Morning" eating breakfast in the park instead of riding rides. We even skipped Indiana Jones (just opened) because the line was too long! I've never been on it because I was pregnant with DD on our only other trip to DL. We did have a good time though--just weren't nutty like we are now! I've been to WDW 5 times (DH beats me by 1 'cause he went with his family when he was a teen), DL twice, and of course the DCL cruise. I'm the bread winner in our family. I own my own business and work 4 days a week. DH is a stay at home dad.

SIL's Family:

:) SIL: My husband's only sibling. She's 34 I think. Doesn't like roller coasters or anything like a thrill ride. Likes pool time. Her family accompanied us on a trip to WDW in 2007 also. They also went on a Disney cruise last year with another family. They enjoy Disney, but can't be classified as nuts like us.

:cool2: BIL: 32 maybe? A good dad. Likes thrill rides. Easy to get along with. Funny.

:charac4: Kyle (Nephew): 6 year old boy. Loves super heroes! Has a great imagination. The ring leader of the boys.

princess: Avery (Niece): 4 year old girl. As close to a real princess as they come. A pretty little girl. Knows all about all the Disney princesses. Ariel was her favorite--don't know if that's changed.

Grandma and Grandpa:
:flower3:MIL: My husband's mother. Great with all the kids and has plenty of energy. Likes Disney but not a nut. Often refers to MK as Disney World--know what I mean?

:joker:FIL: MIL's husband. DH's step-father. Is a nut--but not a Disney nut. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. He's a ton of fun, the life of any party. A good grandpa to all the kids.

Here are links to the important stuff (not all the little ramblings of mine in between.) ;):
Background
The Plan
Projects from the last BIG family trip
A Hitch in the Planning
More Past Projects

The Revised Plan
Last Set of Past Projects
Planning Dining for Universal Orlando...help!
Final Itinerary Revision!
Scratch that--Completely changed it again!
Analyzing the DxDDP
Should we use DDP for second part of trip?
Oops! Forgot about the tax! Recalculating Dining

Yay! Welcome! I have readers! :yay: Now can someone tell me how to reply to multiple posts all at once? I'm hoping to learn tricks like that while I undertake this TR. I also want to learn how to make the cool links to different sections of the TR in the main post. I really appreciate that when I join a TR long after it was started--which is almost always! :rotfl:

I finished the description of our travel party in the main post. It's bath and bedtime around here now, so maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to give some history of our last trip together and lay out the plans for the trip in May.

We started planning for this trip over a year ago. Here's the plan:
Wed. May 5th - Thurs. May 6th: Beach Club Villas (Studio--just our family)
Friday May 7th - Saturday May 8th: Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Studios (Three separate rooms for our three families.)
Sunday May 9th - Thursday 13th: Bay Lake Towers at The Contemporary (Grand Villa for all three families to share.)

We are all from the Chicago area. Our family is flying, SIL's family is driving--which is why they are joining us later, and as of recently MIL is undecided.

Anyone think we are crazy yet? Well, we did a similar trip in 2007 and all went very well! We all flew down together that time and stayed in a Grand Villa at the Boardwalk. I made the schedule of which parks to go to on which day and touring plans for every day. I planned what was important to me and we just invited everyone to do what we had planned to do or to go off on their own if they preferred. We had dining reservations together for the whole trip. We ended up spending almost the whole time together as a big group and it was quite nice.

This time, like I mentioned, SIL's family is driving and possibly MIL & FIL too. They've recently been reconsidering that choice. We also plan to work in Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure this time. They've never been there. SIL's family is intending to skip Epcot completely. We'll spend some time there the first couple of days before they get there.

Maybe we can convince MIL & FIL to fly down at the same time we do and spend some time at Epcot with us. I know they would enjoy seeing the Flower and Garden Festival. We better talk to them soon though, because we will need to change our dining reservations if they join us.

I have layed out rough park plans but they're subject to change since TGM's recommended park days for May have come out now. I just haven't had time to analyze it yet. I'll share our plans soon. For now I'll just tell you that we plan to do the Deluxe Dining Plan for the first two days of our trip and the regular Dining Plan for the second part of our stay. Dining is one of my favorite things to plan so more on that later!

Your plan sounds great so far. I'm interested to hear more about your split stay. We travelled with a big group in 1999 and haven't done it since. Can't wait to hear more!

Tip: If you want to multi-quote just hit the + in each post and then hit "Post Reply" and it will put all of the quoted posts in reply box. These instructions probably aren't the best but maybe they are close enough that you will be able to do it. Have a nice evening!:goodvibes

Here's our plan: (subject to change)

Wed May 5:
Arrive at Beachclub Villas
DHS
Fantasmic Dinner Package at Brown Derby

Thu May 6:
Breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery using snack credits
Pooltime at StormAlong Bay
Lunch at Beaches 'n Cream
Epcot
Dinner at Teppan Edo

Fri May 7:
Breakfast at Cape May Cafe
Epcot
Lunch at Rose & Crown
Taxi to Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando
Islands of Adventure

Sat May 8:
Meet up with the rest of our group
Universal Studios

Sun May 9: (Mother's Day)
Islands of Adventure
Dinner at Citywalk
Taxi to Bay Lake Towers (at the Contemporary Resort)

Mon May 10:
Magic Kingdom
Lunch at Pecos Bill or El Pirate Y Perico
Pooltime
Dinner at 'Ohana

Tue May 11:
Animal Kingdom
Lunch at Yak & Yeti (CS)
Jammin' Jungle Parade
Dinner at Chef Mickey's

Wed May 12:
DHS
Dinner at Captain's Grille at Yacht Club

Thu May 13:
Magic Kingdom
Princess lunch at CRT
Pinnochio's or Cosmic Ray's Dinner
Spectromagic
Wishes

Fri May 14:
Possibly breakfast with group before they leave...Chef Mickey's?
Magic Kingdom
Fly home 7:55pm

Tip: If you want to multi-quote just hit the + in each post and then hit "Post Reply" and it will put all of the quoted posts in reply box. These instructions probably aren't the best but maybe they are close enough that you will be able to do it. Have a nice evening!:goodvibes

Thanks! So easy! Now I'm embarassed it's taken me years to learn this! :lmao:

hmmm, let me see if I can explain this... to make the links to your post click on the number in the top right corner of your post which open up a new page- copy the url. Then go back to edit your first post, type in the title you want people to see to click on (such as "The Cast"), then highlight the title and click on the globe with the chain link at the top of the message box. It should open a box (you may have to click on a yellow box to 'allow scripted windows' and paste the url into that box. Click close and voila, you've made a link.

Great start to your PTR btw, can't wait to read more. :)

I'm in! popcorn:: We're making a May 2010 trip, too, but we'll be there at the end of the month. Your plans sound great so far! We took a trip with extended family last fall and it worked out really well. Like you, I made out touring plans for each day (and ADR's) and gave everyone the option to join or not. We all stuck together for the most part. I really enjoy traveling with family. The more the merrier, right? ;)

Today we booked our flight home. We're flying Southwest and it doesn't cost any more to book each way separately than it does to book round trip. We had booked our trip TO Orlando quite a while ago as soon as the fares came out for May 5th. At the time, they weren't booking May 14th yet and I never gave another thought to it until two days ago when my DH mentioned it. He's convinced I did that on purpose. :rotfl: Since we'll have annual passes and all--why return home? ;)

On another note, my MIL & FIL have definately decided to fly, but haven't told us which days yet. My DH mentioned to them that we should all stay Friday night (the 14th) too. My immediate family was originally going to stay that night, but didn't want to switch rooms for one night or stay in the 3BDR unit all by ourselves. At first when DH told me what he told his Mom about staying Friday night I was excited to stay another day. Then I looked up how many more points we'll have to use--140! For those not familiar with DVC, it's complicated to explain the worth of one point, let's just call it 1point=$10 for simplicity sake. Even though we're shelling out big points for the five night stay and I'm well aware of that. At this point I don't want to add one more night at that cost. I'd rather use the 140 points for a return visit next Spring! :rolleyes1 I would like MIL & FIL to join us for the first part of the trip though. It wouldn't be THAT many more points to get a 2BDR at BeachClub instead of the studio we are getting. I think the chances are slim to none though. Even though they were going to take those days off of work to drive with their daughter to Orlando, now that they're flying, I bet they won't want to take those days off.

Since I brought up the topic of DVC points, this is a good place to mention that we pay for the accomodations for the trip for the whole group. We are happy to do it. We did this on our last family trip--and gave it to them as a Christmas present. MIL & FIL then bought everyone's (our family and SIL family) park tickets as their Christmas presents to us. SIL paid for limosine service to and from the airport for us. Everyone in our group is very generous. It's almost like tradition now, because they did the same thing for Christmas this year!

If I get some time, I'll post some of the projects we made for our last trip--Epcot passports, lots of t-shirts, a journal, letters for the kids, etc. I've made t-shirts for all of our trips since including the cruise. I'm sure I'll get the bug and do it for this trip too. It's quite a task for such a large group though! BTW, I drool over the boutique clothes people sew for their kids for Disney trips! I wish I could do that!

Just found your PTR and you will be there some of the same dates as us!! On Weds 5/5 we are doing DHS with the Fantasmic Package at Mama Melrose. Then Thursday the 6th we are going to be at AK but going to Epcot for a 7:00 Le Cellier ressie and Illuminations. This is the first May PTR I've seen with some of the same dates--how exciting!!! :goodvibes

Today we booked our flight home. We're flying Southwest and it doesn't cost any more to book each way separately than it does to book round trip. We had booked our trip TO Orlando quite a while ago as soon as the fares came out for May 5th. At the time, they weren't booking May 14th yet and I never gave another thought to it until two days ago when my DH mentioned it. He's convinced I did that on purpose. :rotfl: Since we'll have annual passes and all--why return home? ;)

On another note, my MIL & FIL have definately decided to fly, but haven't told us which days yet. My DH mentioned to them that we should all stay Friday night (the 14th) too. My immediate family was originally going to stay that night, but didn't want to switch rooms for one night or stay in the 3BDR unit all by ourselves. At first when DH told me what he told his Mom about staying Friday night I was excited to stay another day. Then I looked up how many more points we'll have to use--140! For those not familiar with DVC, it's complicated to explain the worth of one point, let's just call it 1point=$10 for simplicity sake. Even though we're shelling out big points for the five night stay and I'm well aware of that. At this point I don't want to add one more night at that cost. I'd rather use the 140 points for a return visit next Spring! :rolleyes1 I would like MIL & FIL to join us for the first part of the trip though. It wouldn't be THAT many more points to get a 2BDR at BeachClub instead of the studio we are getting. I think the chances are slim to none though. Even though they were going to take those days off of work to drive with their daughter to Orlando, now that they're flying, I bet they won't want to take those days off.

Since I brought up the topic of DVC points, this is a good place to mention that we pay for the accomodations for the trip for the whole group. We are happy to do it. We did this on our last family trip--and gave it to them as a Christmas present. MIL & FIL then bought everyone's (our family and SIL family) park tickets as their Christmas presents to us. SIL paid for limosine service to and from the airport for us. Everyone in our group is very generous. It's almost like tradition now, because they did the same thing for Christmas this year!

If I get some time, I'll post some of the projects we made for our last trip--Epcot passports, lots of t-shirts, a journal, letters for the kids, etc. I've made t-shirts for all of our trips since including the cruise. I'm sure I'll get the bug and do it for this trip too. It's quite a task for such a large group though! BTW, I drool over the boutique clothes people sew for their kids for Disney trips! I wish I could do that!

140 points for one more night? Yikes! :eek: I agree with you, much rather use that for another trip. :thumbsup2

That is awesome that your family is so generous with each other! Mine is similar. It's great!

I would love to see pics of your past projects if you find some time to post them. I'm trying to get ideas for our next trip. ;)

Just found your PTR and you will be there some of the same dates as us!! On Weds 5/5 we are doing DHS with the Fantasmic Package at Mama Melrose. Then Thursday the 6th we are going to be at AK but going to Epcot for a 7:00 Le Cellier ressie and Illuminations. This is the first May PTR I've seen with some of the same dates--how exciting!!! :goodvibes

Welcome! When do you arrive at WDW? I take it 5/6 is your last day? Do you use any tools (TGM, Ridemax, etc.) in your planning? I'm always interested in other people's plans!

I would love to see pics of your past projects if you find some time to post them. I'm trying to get ideas for our next trip. ;)

I'm working on uploading some pics to photobucket. Anyone know how to reduce the picture size when I post it here? My pics always come out huge!

Welcome! When do you arrive at WDW? I take it 5/6 is your last day? Do you use any tools (TGM, Ridemax, etc.) in your planning? I'm always interested in other people's plans!

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific! We are going to be there 5/2-5/9. 5/7 We are doing the Magic Kingdom with a CRT breakfast at 10, then 5/8 we are leaving open for anything we missed or want to do again. I have the UG and access to the touringplans site, but have mainly been using the disboards for planning help! I have a PTR (link in my siggie) if you want to check it out!!! :goodvibes

I'm working on uploading some pics to photobucket. Anyone know how to reduce the picture size when I post it here? My pics always come out huge!

I don't know if there's another way, but I always just reduce mine on photobucket. There's a button at the top of each pic that says resize, and I click on medium. Hope that helps!

Here are some projects from our first BIG family trip to WDW (September 2007):

Epcot Passports:
DSCF5745.jpg

Autograph books:
004.jpg

A journal (we all wrote in during the trip):
007.jpg

T-Shirts: I made 38 t-shirts for this trip!
Shirts the 4 kids wore on traveling day:
DSCF5673.jpg

The 3 boys had yellow and the pink for my niece:
DSCF5675.jpg

The boys' shirts for an MGM day:
DSCF5677.jpg

Some of my favorites. The number also reflected their ages:
DSCF5680.jpg

Grown-ups and kids wore these. Three different family shirts:
DSCF5691.jpg

Name shirts filled with characters:
DSCF5693.jpg

My boys wore these to Epcot:
DSCF5743.jpg

Animal Kingdom Shirts:
DSCF5744.jpg

Niece and Nephew wore these to MGM:
DSCF5783.jpg

Shirts for the adults for MNSSHP: (The kids dressed up like Dorothy, Tin Man, Lion, and Scarecrow -- sooo cute!)
DSCF5736.jpg

Cards to track our DDP usage: (Because we stayed in a Grand Villa--all of our 7 paying people's credits were pooled together on one account. The cards really helped to keep things straight. Especially snack credits.)
002.jpg

Letters from the characters inviting the kids to special meals. We left one out on the table for the kids to find each morning of a special event.
001.jpg

My daily park plans:
009.jpg

And when we got home and pooled our pictures together I made a mosaic from our photographs and had one large picture (18"x24" or so) for each family. When you stand close to it you can see the individual pictures.
CastleMosaic1.jpg

I got the idea from my sister, who made a mosaic from a trip we took with my family. She free handed the Mickey image and individually placed each picture. (I used someone's photograph for mine and had a computer program place the photos.)
mickeymosaic.jpg

With enough encouragement, I'll post pics of t-shirts from our more recent Disney trips. I posted these because they're from the trip with the same group of people we're going with this coming May.

LOVE how all the shirts and books came out! It is getting me in the mood to start working on mine- I have all the stuff on my computer but have only made a few things so far!

Also loving the collage pic- awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter