6 AM South West Flight - PHL to MCO This Thurs - When to Arrive at Airport?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Last Nov we had pretty much the same flight time, I forget exactly when we got to PHL but there was nobody at the SW counters, it was even a while before they started to set up the ropes for the cattle pen. I'm a bit paranoid about missing a flight or even being rushed but I'd rather not be the first ones there needlessly. When would be a safe, sane time to arrive? We're doing the Park/Sleep/Fly thing from Sheraton 4 Points and they have the most dependable bus service to the airport I've ever used so I'm not too concerned about delays there.

Thanks,

Bill From PA

I know many don’t like this but I arrive an hour before my flight for domestic travel. Yes, anything can happen but this is what works for me.

Do you know what terminal you’re at? Most open quite early but A-West doesn’t open until 5:15am (security checkpoint that is).

I know many don’t like this but I arrive an hour before my flight for domestic travel. Yes, anything can happen but this is what works for me.

Do you know what terminal you’re at? Most open quite early but A-West doesn’t open until 5:15am (security checkpoint that is).

It's been terminal E the last few years and the same flight number for tomorrow is E also. Apparently they'll open for business as early as 4 AM. Given my paranoia about missing a flight we'll probably leave our room at 4 AM. If we just miss a shuttle another will be along in 20 mins, the actual ride is very short so we should make it comfortably. Don't know why I've got this issue, we've never come close to being late. Hopefully we'll get free pre-check again, got this the last 3 times down.

Bill From PA

I have a 6 am flight out of PHL on SW in a little over two weeks. I'm about 15-20 minutes from the airport in South Jersey. I plan on leaving my house at 4 am. I'm being dropped off so I should be there by 4:20. I think that'll be good enough.

Good luck!

If you can please post your experience. DH has the same flight in December and I am driving him and buddies to the airport. He has TSA pre but his buddies don't. Not sure if they should do the skycab or risk it and go inside. I hear its pretty busy at that time. Have a nice trip!

If we catch a shuttle quickly we'll be there around 4:30ish and I'll be happy with that. I will report my experience.

Bill From PA

We also fly SW out of PHL to MCO and take the 6am flight. Last year we got dropped off at the airport at 4:30am and the check-in counters were open. For our trip in a few weeks, we are parking at one of the airport parking lots nearby PHL and a shuttle will take us over, so we will give ourselves a little more time so we can arrive at the airport at 4:30am again.

Last Nov we had pretty much the same flight time, I forget exactly when we got to PHL but there was nobody at the SW counters, it was even a while before they started to set up the ropes for the cattle pen. I'm a bit paranoid about missing a flight or even being rushed but I'd rather not be the first ones there needlessly. When would be a safe, sane time to arrive? We're doing the Park/Sleep/Fly thing from Sheraton 4 Points and they have the most dependable bus service to the airport I've ever used so I'm not too concerned about delays there.

Thanks,

Bill From PA
No helpful advice, but I was wondering what made you choose Sheraton 4 Points? I'm doing that same flight in December and I haven't needed to stay overnight in Philly since I was a teenager. There are so many hotel options and I don't want something rundown with possible bugs but I also don't want to spend too much for a hotel I will only be in for a few hours!

It's been terminal E the last few years and the same flight number for tomorrow is E also. Apparently they'll open for business as early as 4 AM. Given my paranoia about missing a flight we'll probably leave our room at 4 AM. If we just miss a shuttle another will be along in 20 mins, the actual ride is very short so we should make it comfortably. Don't know why I've got this issue, we've never come close to being late. Hopefully we'll get free pre-check again, got this the last 3 times down.

Bill From PA

I have the same paranoia. I love to travel, and nothing stresses me out about it EXCEPT making sure I am at the airport an ungodly-obscene time. We fly (typically) out of the smaller of the two MSP airports, and only once in our 20 years of traveling, have we even cut it CLOSE to missing our plane (fall break week..). Most times we check in and get through security in under 30 minutes. But, we are still there, ready to go, 3 hours before our flight. We try to take the earliest flight in the day, too. Next month we fly at 8am...I guarantee we will be walking across the skyway to the airport at 5am. It's why I love the 3-hours-before DME pickup.. gets me there with plenty of time...

I have the same paranoia. I love to travel, and nothing stresses me out about it EXCEPT making sure I am at the airport an ungodly-obscene time. We fly (typically) out of the smaller of the two MSP airports, and only once in our 20 years of traveling, have we even cut it CLOSE to missing our plane (fall break week..). Most times we check in and get through security in under 30 minutes. But, we are still there, ready to go, 3 hours before our flight. We try to take the earliest flight in the day, too. Next month we fly at 8am...I guarantee we will be walking across the skyway to the airport at 5am. It's why I love the 3-hours-before DME pickup.. gets me there with plenty of time...
This is why I won't take a 6am flight when traveling with my mother! She is the exact same way, even with precheck.

This is why I won't take a 6am flight when traveling with my mother! She is the exact same way, even with precheck.

To be fair, I LOVE the airport...the vibe, the smells and sounds. I could probably live there. So, being super early is really selfish because I am so happy when I am there. The 10 minutes before I leave home and the walk to security (before I know what the line looks like) are the only things that set me on edge :) Thankfully, my husband and kids are the exact same as me and love it all!

The orlando flight at 6am is the first flight of the morning for Southwest so counters open at 4am.

Airports are often very busy weekday mornings with business travelers. TSA can be a nightmare before 8am. I usually check TSA wait times online beforehand and plan accordingly.

The orlando flight at 6am is the first flight of the morning for Southwest so counters open at 4am.

Airports are often very busy weekday mornings with business travelers. TSA can be a nightmare before 8am. I usually check TSA wait times online beforehand and plan accordingly.

Every time we have flown out of PHL between 6-8 am it's been pretty dead. We usually get to our gate within 30 minutes of arriving. We still arrive about 2 hours before our flight because you never know. We usually fly out of PHL on weekdays. This year it's a Friday.

Now that same time at MCO I've seen it be a complete nightmare!

I arrive at the airport one hour before the scheduled departure for domestic flights. I recognize that's probably too close for comfort for many folks here, especially those without PreCheck. Even still, 90 minutes should be more than sufficient.

Airports typically recommend 2 hrs before departure as a general guideline. You just never know how long it will take to get through TSA or how many will be in line ahead of you. If you have TSA precheck, you can get through security is less time and cut it closer. As someone else mentioned, even if a very early flight you might also find a lot of business travelers as well. If you arrive late, flights won't wait for you.

Soooo... We caught the shuttle at 4 am from Sheraton 4 Points, short ride to PHL then curb checked the bags, security was not crowded or hectic and so we had a relaxed breakfast near the gate, dining on hoagies we bought the day preior drom a Wilkes-Barre takeout place called, no joke, Philly's Finest. We fly home tomorrow after a Happy Hour at MCO. Great vacation,BTW.

Bill From PA

Soooo... We caught the shuttle at 4 am from Sheraton 4 Points, short ride to PHL then curb checked the bags, security was not crowded or hectic and so we had a relaxed breakfast near the gate, dining on hoagies we bought the day preior drom a Wilkes-Barre takeout place called, no joke, Philly's Finest. We fly home tomorrow after a Happy Hour at MCO. Great vacation,BTW.

Bill From PA

Good to hear!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter