6ft tall 500lb 5x shirts 60x30 slacks

btr2trvl

Mouseketeer
I have seen a bunch of threads on Pooh sized but my husband is more of Baymax. We are making our first trip to WDW this Halloween and staying at Kidani Village for a week and bringing our daughter, son-in-law and 8 year old grandson. What can my husband ride? I don't want him to suffer any embarrassment at the last minute. I am a 100 plus visit veteran of Disneyland and I seem to think rides like Soarin' won't work. What about shows do they have any seats without arms?

I cant say for sure they don't have test seats like Universal I'm not as big as your husband but I don't fit in any e-ticket rides in Universal but fit in any ride in Disney. I hope he fits on most rides. Allears dot net has a section Walt Disney World At LARGE there might be some info there that will help

You need to consider renting a scooter. This will be tough though; because, I couldn't find scooters beyond 500 pound capacity to rent. He will be maximizing the weight capacity of a heavy duty scooter which means the battery charge will decline more rapidly; so, you will have to watch the charge diligently. You can do an emergency charge at the park, but that will take time, a lot of time to do. Prices seem to go $300 to $350/week for a deluxe model from an outside vendor. The Disney park scooters will not tolerate his weight.

The average Disney guest goes 6 miles a day of walking at the parks. There are some that go double that amount. This isn't constant walking and includes getting in and out of shows and rides.

The scooter arms lift up; so, you can manually make that adjustment. Scooters give you handicap access. He can sit in the scooters during shows.

You need to remember to shut the scooter off during shows, parades, and fireworks to conserve the battery power. I would not add extra weight to the scooter's basket. Don't add a camera, or drinks or whatever; this will add to the weight capacity of the scooter.

Thank you but he's an avid walker and healthy in health rate no diabetes or high blood pressure no Rx. Just wants to ride the rides with his family.

I'm not sure how much he can realistically ride, but, I second the idea of the scooter. Although he is too heavy for most scooters, I think you should try to find one he can use, because wdw is rough on normal sized people, he may as healthy as you say but after a while just being in the parks his feet are going to hurt and he may get swollen feet and ankles and hurt.

OP, if your husband is as healthy as you say he is, I have to wonder why you decided to post this on the DISabilities board instead of Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies.

Is he disabled?

I won't enter a debate on the relative health status of someone who weighs in excess of 500 pounds. I'm not sure what the OP considers an avid walker, but I wonder if her DH is accustomed to walking more than 5miles every day for the duration of the trip in the heat and humidity of WDW. I would reconsider the decision about an ECV. This in itself would assure him a seat in any of the theatres, at least.

As for rides, the links already provided should help. One ride that I KNOW he wont fit in is SDMT. It is a very uncomfortable fit even for normal sized men.

Most rides (except those at MK for some reason) have a tester seat. They are not usually as open as the ones at Universal and are more for those in wheelchairs to practice load and unload.

The problem will be the harnesses. All harnesses have a safety click they must meet. He might be able to ride Splash and Big Thunder but I imagine Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space, Rocking Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and similar attractions would be a no go.

He should be able to enjoy most shows. Many have a bench that wheelchair patrons transfer to so he could possible use that. It would be up to the individual CM though I believe because they have to be saved for people in wheelchairs.

I think he would be ok on the boat rides but just be prepared they may only load your family due to weight constraints on the boats. The front of the boats are usually the toniest.

I believe most of the simulators would be a no go as well.

Most rides (except those at MK for some reason) have a tester seat. They are not usually as open as the ones at Universal and are more for those in wheelchairs to practice load and unload.

The problem will be the harnesses. All harnesses have a safety click they must meet. He might be able to ride Splash and Big Thunder but I imagine Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space, Rocking Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and similar attractions would be a no go.

He should be able to enjoy most shows. Many have a bench that wheelchair patrons transfer to so he could possible use that. It would be up to the individual CM though I believe because they have to be saved for people in wheelchairs.

I think he would be ok on the boat rides but just be prepared they may only load your family due to weight constraints on the boats. The front of the boats are usually the toniest.

I believe most of the simulators would be a no go as well.

At DLR they provide seatbelt extenders on some rides. However there are some that don't have restraints that have tiny turnstiles you have to pass through. I'm not sure if they still have them at WDW.

At DLR they provide seatbelt extenders on some rides. However there are some that don't have restraints that have tiny turnstiles you have to pass through. I'm not sure if they still have them at WDW.

There are a few attractions that still have turnstiles. But those also have a swing gate for wheelchair access, as a rule. The OPs DH can use that.

I honestly believe you and hubby will change your minds with regard to the scooter. Just be prepared with a scooter rental that carries a larger scooter for him. You can call while you are there and get one if you won't do it ahead of time.

Endurance is one aspect, but you also have to consider the speed in which you travel to a certain degree. You will accomplish so much more if hubby uses a scooter. Besides, he will feel so much better using a scooter. Park tickets are expensive and to be able to do more shows, rides, and attractions will pay for the scooter. You might be able to go to a local scooter store and check one out and ride it in their parking lot and all for free.

You can practice at the resort with the scooter; so, he can gain confidence using one.

Without a scooter you may have a hard time with certain shows even like American Adventure in Epcot's World Showcase. There are many stairs to get to that show. Whether or not they will let him use the elevator which is reserved for handicap I can't really say. And how long he will have to wait going up or down on it I can't say. I'm sure they will give preference to those in wheelchairs and scooters for the elevator. Some shows are an uphill ramp climb that can be tough like Fantasmic in Hollywood Studios. You can get a planning video for free Fromm Disney where you can see how some of the rides work.

I think you do have to make other considerations, too. If you are not using a car to the parks can he climb the bus stairs?
I'm not sure about the chairs at the restaurants, either holding his weight. There are some restaurants where it can be tight seating areas and he may have a tough time maneuvering through the place.

You can probably call Disney for special needs and see what they can help you with in this regard. I would do my homework on all the rides you want to attempt with him.

Then, there's the standing aspect for parades and fireworks. There are few seating areas for these events. Any seating areas will be taken at least an hour before the parade or fireworks begins.

Just an FYI we are here now and on our low walking day we walked over 16000 steps. Our high walking day was 23000. This is measured by my husband who is 6'7" with a 40 inch inseam (so long steps) so I probably walked a bit more with my shorter legs.

OP, you say that this is your first trip, so I'm thinking you really don't realize like most of us just how much walking is required at the parks. I would say 6 miles is 'very' conservative, unless you just mosey around. We have checked our miles with several different measurements, and we average '10' miles at least, sometimes more, but we are 'movers'!

As for what rides you dh will be able to ride - I would say 'very' few. We are not over size, but we have seen some people in the 350# range that have had big problems fitting in the rides.

Hope you have a good first trip and many more! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter