6ft tall 500lb 5x shirts 60x30 slacks

Just an FYI for the future reference, if he ever decides he does want to use a scooter. (And I'm not saying he should, only if at some point he does...) Both the heavy duty scooter from outside rental places and the Disney Scooters can hold the weight (I currently use a scooter due to knee issues and weigh more than that limit). As for walking, before my knee issues (and I still would have been close to his weight) my pedometer on a 12 day trip averaged 8 miles walked per day! And that was with two days being resort days. Glad you had a great time on your trip and hope you have even better times in the future.

We had a amazing time. He had no problem walking all 7 days in the parks. New iPhone app showed he averaged over 10k steps per day. King beds at Kidani were comfy. Chairs at Merakesh, Teppan Edo, TRex, Be Our Guest, Sanaa, and O'hana all fine. Got some great advice about rides and attractions from BigFatPanda before heading there in October. Trip was such a success DH and I are going back 12/7-12/13 just the two of us because as DH put it, "Was the most fun I ever had walking."

10k was absolutely great. Glad you enjoyed your trip and may you have many more there.

Ok now I'm just laughing. Suffice it to say we travel frequently and eat out frequently. I'm certainly not worried about beds or chairs. Although I admit we aren't fans of booths. I don't know what you are picturing in your mind but these have never been issues.
Hi. I know I’m like 4 years too late lol but worth a shot. I am 5’10 500 pounds and planing on going to Disney in July with a couple of friends and my godchild. I honestly don’t plan on riding rides because of my weight. Most times when I go to fairs or theme parks it’s just join in on my godsons excitement. Paying $328 (3 days) just to enter the park to walk around sucks but hey. Could you possibly give me an idea of what rides your husband did ride? Imma start doing some more conditioning because I was like your husband a few years ago until I broke my ankle on a job site. Now it’s been down hill for me with conditioning lol. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Hi. I know I’m like 4 years too late lol but worth a shot. I am 5’10 500 pounds and planing on going to Disney in July with a couple of friends and my godchild. I honestly don’t plan on riding rides because of my weight. Most times when I go to fairs or theme parks it’s just join in on my godsons excitement. Paying $328 (3 days) just to enter the park to walk around sucks but hey. Could you possibly give me an idea of what rides your husband did ride? Imma start doing some more conditioning because I was like your husband a few years ago until I broke my ankle on a job site. Now it’s been down hill for me with conditioning lol. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Not the original poster, but I am a 3L - a Large Lovely Lady - and I can say from experience that your size may matter less in some cases than the overall condition of your hips and knees!

For example, you might find that you can climb in and out of the boats for Small World and Jungle Cruise just fine. My size doesn't stop me from riding many rides (although some I don't ride because of other reasons) but I have bad knees and hips, and some of the ride seats are pretty dang low; there are a few that I swear aren't much more than 12 inches off the floor of the ride vehicle, and a lot of them are in the 18 inch range. Doesn't sound bad until you have to lever yourself back up from down inside the ride vehicle.

One ride I currently avoid, simply because it hurts my hips and knees for them to dangle is Soarin' at EPCOT. It can be (depending on where you carry your weight) difficult to get comfortably seated if you are a person of size.

However, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you *can* do. There are TONS of shows (think Country Bear Jamboree, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, and Philharmagic at MK alone) to see, not to mention experiences at the Parks like the Grand Circle Tour at MK on the steam train, the Safari at AK and if you are OK with the moving ramp, the TTA at MK. Outside the Parks you can ride boats all over WDW (think from Disney Springs to several different Resort hotels - or even the water taxi service from dock to dock at DS - or the boat from HS to EPCOT's International Gateway that stops at several Resorts along the way plus the boats to and from WL and FW - as well as the boats to and from GF & Poly!) The Monorail is still popular - it's truly an icon of the Parks, and the ride through Contemporary, as well as the loop through EPCOT are still as amazing to me now as they were as a kid. Disney Springs is free - no Park ticket required! and there is an abundance of things to see and do down there, especially in the evening when the entertainers are out and about. Some of the street musicians are amazing. The LEGO store is great fun, even if you never buy anything, just go in to see all of the bricks!

There's other forms of entertainment too - you can sign up for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue* (dinner and a show!) over at Fort Wilderness - and again, no park ticket required. While you are over there, hang around and wait for the Electrical Water Pageant - it still runs every night on the lake! There's a dinner show at Poly* too - and if those aren't your cup of tea, you might like something like the Pirates N Pals fireworks cruise* out on the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you are on a budget (and that's totally cool) then while you are at Disney Springs, grab a boat over to POR in the evenings to see YeeHaw Bob (or other live entertainment). It's always a great show, and if you have your Resort mug, you can fill it in the QS, no cost! *extra cost or fee per person required

Maybe you want more things to do while in the Parks? OK, you can collect and trade pins - there's tons of info on that all over the Internet, but it can be a lot of fun - and every Resort has a pin trading board where you can trade once a day for free!

Smashed pennies are probably one of the cheapest souvenirs, and are just a lot of fun! Disney has the machines everywhere - keep your eyes peeled, and ask CMs if they know of any in their area; sometimes they kind of blend in to all of the theming!

Last but not least, you can always be the Official Photographer Of The Trip (registered trademark LOL) and while you wait for everyone to get done with the rides, you can take all of those artsy Instagram-worthy shots that we all *want* to take, but never get to. Don't worry about lugging along a camera (unless you happen to have all the equipment and you want to) just use your cellphone's camera, and snap away! You can pick a theme (flowers, Hidden Mickey's, princesses, whatever strikes your fancy) or you can just take pictures of everything. Pictures are my favorite keepsake from every trip, so I know I would really appreciate having someone along who took pictures from their unique perspective to add to my digital album! :)

Don't give up - and don't worry about what you can't do. Focus instead on what you *can* do, and have as much fun as you can!

You are not too late! After the Halloween trip in 2014 he had so much fun we came back just the two of us for a Christmas trip first week of December 2014. That was so enjoyable we packed up and moved to Orlando from Illinois the following Halloween. This past 10 months he has lost 125lbs (375lbs size3x 50x30 slacks) and I have lost 60lbs since we stopped eating carbs (no additional conditioning necessary). Here is the list of rides and shows(denoted with *) he enjoyed at his old weight. We are annual passholders now at both WDW and Universal and definitely get our money's worth. Trust me $328 is a bargain these will be lifetime memories. We love Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach as well. You will find the biggest smiles and on more people's faces there than any of the other parks and I warn you JULY IS HOT. On the boat climbing in and out issue he has no problem but at six feet and knee bending issues we always ask for the front row. Before our first trip BigFatPanda (John who is not as tall as my DH) guest of the DIS Unpluggged and popular youtube vlogger was kind enough to call me and talk about his list of ToDos and I will be forever grateful.

Magic Kingdom
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Country Bear Jamboree*
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tales with Belle*
Hall of Presidents*
Haunted Mansion
It’s a small world
Jungle Cruise
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor*
Peter Pan’s Flight
Peoplemover
Pirates of the Caribbean
Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney world railroad
Enchanted tiki room*

Epcot
Frozen Ever After
Gran Fiesta Tour
Journey into the Imagination with Figment
Living with the Land
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Spaceship Earth
Turtle Talk with Crush*
The American Adventure*
Reflections of China*
O Canada*
Impressions of France*

Hollywood Studios
Muppet Vision 3D*
Star Tours
Toy Story Mania
Frozen Sing Along*
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular*
Fantasmic*

Animal Kingdom
It’s tough to be a bug*
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Na’vi River Journey
Festival of the Lion King*
Finding Nemo the Musical*
Winged Encounters*
Rivers of Light*

Feel free to private message me with any other questions.

Be
OP, if your husband is as healthy as you say he is, I have to wonder why you decided to post this on the DISabilities board instead of Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies.

Is he disabled?

Being too large to fit on some rides is certainly a disability, whether he is healthy or not. Questions about size restrictions and comfort on rides are common here and, to my experience, uncommon on TPAaS.

Your implication here is that a healthy person cannot be disabled and healthy people problems do not belong in a DisABILITIES thread. I can get you in touch with a half dozen amputees who, while clearly disabled, are still models of health.

ETA burned by worst zombie thread ever. I'm usually better than this. Blaming mamabunny, I love reading her helpful posts and just feel motivated to chime in. And the dbaggery of earlier posts got me typing red just a bit.

Last edited:

I tried to private message you, but was unable to do so. Please do so more posting on the boards, I guess you have to get your post count up before you can private message.

...ETA burned by worst zombie thread ever. I'm usually better than this. Blaming mamabunny, I love reading her helpful posts and just feel motivated to chime in. And the dbaggery of earlier posts got me typing red just a bit.

LOL OK I will take the blame, since you gave me such a sweet compliment! :)

"Typing in the red" is the *perfect* description though - I have that problem too! Usually, I can overcome it by going away, and coming back 24 hours later LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter