8 Months...That will go by fast right??---A January 2014 First Trip to WDW PTR!

MotoWifey185

.:dirt bikes to doom buggies:.
Greetings my friends! Welcome to my awesome pre-trip report. Join me as I plan our *FIRST* trip to Walt Disney World! :ccat:

It might be just a little early to start one of these, but I have learned by jumping on this side of the boards, that planning a trip to WDW is a bit different than planning a trip to DLR (Which DH and I have been to many times!) I also have to have a place where I can obsessively plan/talk to others about this trip because although DH loves Disney, I don't think he wants to talk about it during every meal/car ride/shopping trip/tv show...etc. He must be crazy!! :lmao: So out with the Matterhorn... let's bring on the Everest (or some other mountain that WDW has and DLR does not ;)).

First off, I will start by introducing the characters of this adventure.

IMG_1089_zps7468909c.jpg

My name is Ashley and I am 23 years old. I have been to DLR many times and I've always loved it. I do have to admit that I have been to WDW before, but only for 2 days and I was so young I don't really remember it! So this is pretty much my first time, since it will be my first time at most of the parks there also. :cutie:

List of my favorites: :)
Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Treat: Dole Whip
Show: Fantasmic!
Pixar Movie: Finding Nemo
Disney Movie: Peter Pan

myloves2.jpg

My husband's name is Matt and he is 25. I took him on his first Disney trip in September 2007! He was one of those people that was under the impression that Disney is for babies. But now he really enjoys it and is really looking forward to going to WDW! I am proud to be the person that finally took him there and now he loves it. :p

List of his favorites: :)
Ride: California Screamin'
Treat: Tigger Tail
Show: Fantasmic!
Pixar Movie: Cars
Disney Movie: Peter Pan (also) :)

I am still trying to figure out the specifics, which is fine, cause I've got time to figure it out! One thing I do know is that we will be going at the end of January 2014. January has always been our favorite time to go to DLR (for the low crowds and cold weather) and from what I've learned the same pretty much applies for WDW as well. ::yes:: Where we will be staying depends on how much money we will be willing to spend. I love the Boardwalk and the Polynesian based on what I've seen here. But I also think the POFQ or POR is really nice too, and gives more money for other things we want to do! I've also come up with the idea of a split stay, so that will be something we can figure out once the prices for Jan '14 show up on the WDW website! :thumbsup2

So here we go, this is the beginning of a vacation that we've been planning since our first DLR trip together in 2007. We are FINALLY going and it will all be totally worth the time we've waited. This year has gone by so fast already that I know it will be here before we know it. I hope you will all read and comment along with me as I try to plan my first trip to the World! pixiedust:

Hi there...I am also planning my (family) first trip to WDW! Our plan is the last week of January 2014.
:dance3:

Quick Update:

Sorry I've been kinda MIA from this thread, I've been doing a little more research and fixing up our new house we just bought. Since it is pretty far away still I am not really able to do much planning anyway. Does anyone know when WDW will put up their 2014 prices?

:upsidedow

:wave2:

:welcome:

Maybe we will be there the same time. :) End of January is what we are planning too! Are you doing a PTR before you go? It would be cool to compare notes since it is your first time too! It's a lot to learn. :teacher:

Well you are one big step ahead of me because you have the acronyms down pat :) I had to search to figure out what a PTR is, and I could have just looked at your first post to figure that out. Yes, I am looking forward to comparing notes as well. Right now I've been trying to read up on the restaurants since the ADR's (got that one) have to be done so far in advance.

Quick Update:

Sorry I've been kinda MIA from this thread, I've been doing a little more research and fixing up our new house we just bought. Since it is pretty far away still I am not really able to do much planning anyway. Does anyone know when WDW will put up their 2014 prices?

:upsidedow

I think mid July sometime.

Well you are one big step ahead of me because you have the acronyms down pat :) I had to search to figure out what a PTR is, and I could have just looked at your first post to figure that out. Yes, I am looking forward to comparing notes as well. Right now I've been trying to read up on the restaurants since the ADR's (got that one) have to be done so far in advance.

Haha yes I have the acronyms down, I've been a member for a while (mostly over on the Disneyland part of the boards) and have been a "lurker" for as long as I can remember now! I can't think of doing ADR's yet... that's going to be a tough one! My DH and I are not good at planning out what park to go to each day let alone what to eat! :)

I think mid July sometime.

Thank you! :)

Hi Ashley! :wave2:We will be heading to WDW the second week of February of 2014, so I will be planning right along with you! We are actually taking our first trip to DL this July! I see your DH favorite treat is a Tigger Tail, I have read about these and I am really looking forward to trying this treat in July!! We have stayed at both POFQ & POR and while we enjoyed both we liked FQ just a bit more. It's a smaller resort and really easy to get around!

Congrats on the new home!! Looking forward to reading about more of your plans!!
~Beth

Hi Ashley! :wave2:We will be heading to WDW the second week of February of 2014, so I will be planning right along with you! We are actually taking our first trip to DL this July! I see your DH favorite treat is a Tigger Tail, I have read about these and I am really looking forward to trying this treat in July!! We have stayed at both POFQ & POR and while we enjoyed both we liked FQ just a bit more. It's a smaller resort and really easy to get around!

Congrats on the new home!! Looking forward to reading about more of your plans!!
~Beth

Yayy! Happy planning! :thumbsup2 I think Jan/Feb is going to be a great time to go for weather and crowds! It is definitely our favorite time to go to DLR. The parks close earlier.. but it never seemed to matter to us since we got to do so much throughout the day anyway!

Good to know about FQ being smaller. I was leaning towards FQ anyway. :) We are still considering doing a split stay with POFQ and Boardwalk or Polynesian, but we will see once we get all the prices and dates worked out! I just got my free Disney planning DVD in the mail so I am going to watch it with my DH soon! :goodvibes

Yes he loves the Tigger Tails! They are a lot to eat though so you might get away with sharing or just having leftovers. :)

Just a quick update and to say that 2013 is nearly HALF WAY over already!! I can't believe it. When we first started talking about WDW being in Jan 2014 I remember thinking it was over a year away. Now we've only got 6 months (plus however many days) to wait! We have 225 days but that makes it sound like it's forever away. :lmao:

Well I've been doing some more research, and even though it seems like the dining plan may be too much food for us and not save us money... the convenience factor comes into play. I've also been checking out prices of some of the places and it seems like instead of having a heart attack when we see the bill, we'd rather enjoy ourselves and pay through credits. Even though we plan to over budget for this vacation, I know our frugal personalities will show through and we'll try to save money anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Trying to figure out dining plans isn't something I'm used to for vacation. We've only ever had one ADR in all of our trips to Disneyland! :eek:

Other than that.. I'm pretty much waiting til January prices are up on the website so I can obsessively search all of our options for hotels and such! :thumbsup2

I have wondered your same question about the dining plan whether it is really worth it.

I had read a suggestion from someone that they took the same money as what the dining plan would cost and bought it with gift cards and used those to pay for meals. Anything left over they used for souvenir.

I also posted this same question on another thread and a lot of the responses I received back was it is worth the convenience, just live in the magic.

So, after all of my babble I have decided we are going to go with the dining plan. If I don't I know I will be stressing about paying $6 for an ice cream bar, or a $30 plate of food.

A little late but I'm in! So lucky you only have 6 months left! I still have a year!
Welcome! Glad to have you along. :)

It will go fast.. trust me! :thumbsup2

I have wondered your same question about the dining plan whether it is really worth it.

I had read a suggestion from someone that they took the same money as what the dining plan would cost and bought it with gift cards and used those to pay for meals. Anything left over they used for souvenir.

I also posted this same question on another thread and a lot of the responses I received back was it is worth the convenience, just live in the magic.

So, after all of my babble I have decided we are going to go with the dining plan. If I don't I know I will be stressing about paying $6 for an ice cream bar, or a $30 plate of food.

Yeah I did think about doing the gift card with money on it, and I may still do that, but otherwise I totally agree with you on worrying about the prices all the time. I read some of the dining reviews and some of them will list the prices. I don't want my husband and I to feel guilty at all about what we want to eat during our vacation. Living in the magic is the BEST way to go! It is funny you say that though, because I posted a similar question and the majority of my answers were NO, it is not worth it! :confused3 I guess it just depends on the family. For our first trip though, I think we need to at least see for ourselves! ::yes::

Hi All! I'm in!
We're going the first week of February and I've been contemplating as to whether or not to start a pre-trip report yet as I have like a billion more days to go.Glad to see someone else has started one. Now I need to get it together and start mine.

As of now our intention is to stay at POFQ. Never stayed there before and I'm looking forward to it.

As for the dining plan.....I prefer it. I'd rather have it taken care of and I don't have to worry about it at all. (Dining may be included in an offer so keep your eyes open).

I recommend O'hana for dinner. FANTASTIC and the bread pudding is to die for.

Hi All! I'm in!
We're going the first week of February and I've been contemplating as to whether or not to start a pre-trip report yet as I have like a billion more days to go.Glad to see someone else has started one. Now I need to get it together and start mine.

As of now our intention is to stay at POFQ. Never stayed there before and I'm looking forward to it.

As for the dining plan.....I prefer it. I'd rather have it taken care of and I don't have to worry about it at all. (Dining may be included in an offer so keep your eyes open).

I recommend O'hana for dinner. FANTASTIC and the bread pudding is to die for.

What other restaurant recommendations do you have?

What other restaurant recommendations do you have?

O'hana at the Polynesian is my favorite and is a must for me. If you can time it right you might be able to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from here.

50's Prime Time or Sci-Fi at Disney's Hollywood Studios (very themed dining)

I'm not up to date on my Character dining but last time we ate at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary and I didn't think it was very good. The food was bleh, it was way over crowded and I only saw the waitress once. My suggestion would be to go to Crystal Palace with an early reservation so you can get in to the park early.

Ragland Road at Downtown Disney used to be good. It wasn't the last time but that may have been an off night.

If you are not an adventurous eater (like me) but want to try something different, try a counter service in the World Showcase at Epcot. That way you aren't wasting time and money on something you may or may not like.

I haven't eaten at the Animal Kingdom so I can't offer any suggestions for there.

O'hana at the Polynesian is my favorite and is a must for me. If you can time it right you might be able to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from here.

50's Prime Time or Sci-Fi at Disney's Hollywood Studios (very themed dining)

I'm not up to date on my Character dining but last time we ate at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary and I didn't think it was very good. The food was bleh, it was way over crowded and I only saw the waitress once. My suggestion would be to go to Crystal Palace with an early reservation so you can get in to the park early.

Ragland Road at Downtown Disney used to be good. It wasn't the last time but that may have been an off night.

If you are not an adventurous eater (like me) but want to try something different, try a counter service in the World Showcase at Epcot. That way you aren't wasting time and money on something you may or may not like.

I haven't eaten at the Animal Kingdom so I can't offer any suggestions for there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually wondering Crystal Palace vs. Chef Mickey's. Crystal Palace sounds like a better option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter