_Chat: How old were your parents when they became grandparents?

My mom was 63. My dad had passed away 20 years before.

Our first Grandchild is due June 22, DW will be 61, I will be 61 or 62 (my birthday is June 30).

My stereotype of a first time grandparent is someone in their 60's. Wow, 40's seems VERY young to me. My kids were 6 and 10 when I turned 40. My dad was 47 when I was BORN!

My mom was 63. My dad had passed away 20 years before.

Our first Grandchild is due June 22, DW will be 61, I will be 61 or 62 (my birthday is June 30).

My stereotype of a first time grandparent is someone in their 60's. Wow, 40's seems VERY young to me. My kids were 6 and 10 when I turned 40. My dad was 47 when I was BORN!

40s isn't really that young to be a grandparent...even now when the age of women having their first has gone up to 24.9 (used to be several years lower) so 24.9x2=49.8

My mom and dad were 45 and 43. My mom was 20 and married when she had me; I was 24 and married.

my parents became parents for the first time at 17, and had their first grandchild at 44.

40s isn't really that young to be a grandparent...even now when the age of women having their first has gone up to 24.9 (used to be several years lower) so 24.9x2=49.8

My mom and dad were 45 and 43. My mom was 20 and married when she had me; I was 24 and married.

My parents became parents for the first time at 17, and had their first grandchild at 44. They were 46 when my first child was born, and he is the 4th grandchild. I was 25 and married.

My MIL was 15 when she had her first child, and he had his first child at 16, so she was only 31! Now THAT's young! She was 49 when DS18 was born, and he is her 8th grandchild. Wow.

mom was 71, had my dad lived he would have been 82.

My mom was 43 when my nephew was born, 44 the next year when my DD was born. My brother was 19 when his son was born and I had my daughter at 23. I know she is glad to have been a young grandma. She's only 65 now, but has debilitating osteoarthritis in both knees. While the kids were younger, she was able to do lots of stuff with them.. zoos, amusement parks, beaches, boardwalks, water parks, etc.

Yeah, everyone just has a different perception/experience. Just a quick search shows it depends where you live, but 24.9 seems much younger than stats I can find show. Many over over 30.
Actually, 24.9 was 15 years ago. It has gone up
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-of-first-time-moms-keeps-climbing-in-the-u-s

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/04/upshot/up-birth-age-gap.html

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-average-age-to-have-a-baby-in-the-u-s-4582455

Last edited:
My mom was 61. I don't have a father.

What really strikes me is that my grandmother became a grandmother at age 41, which is how old I was when I became a mother!

Sadly both parents had passed before they became grandparents. My mom died at 49 and my dad at 57. My brother and his wife were expecting when my dad passed. They had just found out and never got a chance to tell him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter