A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

I really loved the construction walls for Frozen Land! If you haven’t kept up, this one is supposed to have 2 rides. A semi-clone of Frozen Ever After and a coaster that is the same bones as Seven Dwarves Mine Train but Frozen themed. I do wish they were adding more unique attractions, especially since they have some really awesome ones at HKDL, but I think based on cost and payoff, they decided to save money!

XhVPNox.jpg
EJbJOYy.jpg
AI7UmNJ.jpg

The concept art for the land.

IDvYQ5V.jpg

I still had time so decided to take a ride on Dumbo!

ZOIbTCO.jpg
2X5TdYX.jpg
GBYVjCZ.jpg
ezy0kUb.jpg
TLShBC5.jpg
gs7UNtZ.jpg

Some cool views of the construction via flying around! Oh and it was active construction! I saw the cranes lifting up steel pieces throughout the day and construction workers walking towards backstage on a break before the parade.

nIgrf5x.jpg
CWTHC8C.jpg
eiHyESy.jpg
Q8AIydr.jpg

I ended up stopping for a treat at one of the booths, getting the Minnie Mouse Ice Cream Bar, which was basically versions of sorbet but chocolate on the back. And it was yummy!

v0CctpI.jpg
c8FqSGk.jpg

It was now time for Mickey and the Wondrous Book, HKDL’s stage show

b7cyOSx.jpg
7Rwk57j.jpg

Something super cool is that they have screens on each side of the theatre so it’s a trilingual show – showing captions for whichever of the two languages weren’t being spoken at that moment (English, Mandarin, Cantonese).

wK18FzQ.jpg

Something I think would be a good spot would be to talk about the language at HKDL. It really wasn’t an issue. Pretty much all the workers spoke English, because I believe many people in Hong Kong before the british left also speak English. Also, while there are a lot of locals visiting HKDL, it really feels like the most international of all the parks I’ve visited. Of course you get lots of different countries represented at DL, WDW, and for the most part, DLP. Shanghai and Tokyo have mostly locals. But HKDL did feel international!

Ok…on with the show!

There are some narrators who help out during the show

YtKVAPt.jpg
vJD7ugl.jpg

And the story is Mickey and Goofy accidentally disturb a magical book. Causing a very familiar snowman to accidentally pop out of the book. And so the group tries to help Olaf find his way back to his story!

3c2FwSB.jpg

Causing encounters with The Jungle Book

vQLEKPf.jpg
CDxvqtT.jpg
JDTNPe2.jpg
W2DC8z3.jpg

…Princesses

kfX0NVf.jpg
M2zJv46.jpg
g2zJENi.jpg
FJzfF4K.jpg
tuPJPCa.jpg
vpMdz0S.jpg

…Aladdin

NiOHmrr.jpg
3un9imJ.jpg
7GRD504.jpg
tmMkA2Z.jpg

Tiana and company!

nDXh2Co.jpg
TfSWShN.jpg
QAj01UW.jpg
xaL63dC.jpg
pOIwFe8.jpg
Jze6Jzg.jpg

I think at one point I must have lost camera battery or space or something, because I know they must have found a Frozen story for Olaf but I just don’t have photos!

But overall a cute show! I think most of the parks have a Mickey stage show of some sort, so it’s cool to see! I’d put this version on par with Mickey and the Magical Map (from Disneyland) but not as good as Mickey and the Magician (in Paris).

Coming up: Lunch and Fairytale Forest

Show looks great, I've heard people raving about it, interesting you put it as "cute". Obviously nothing like Frozen at the DL then.. ? As good as FOTLK?

I was wondering how the language barrier was, so thanks for sharing about that! The show looks so fun- I've been to the Paris version before, but not the DL one.

This was cool to see in the queue, so you knew when the photo was coming!

I love this idea, so you can pose if you want. I also love that they even put photos on a ride like WTP. It seems to me like they usually have more photos on the "thrill" type rides (which I rarely go on, or if I do, I'm too freaked out for photos lol)

That stage show looked cool with bits from a bunch of different Disney movies etc. I love that HKDL felt so international.

Show looks great, I've heard people raving about it, interesting you put it as "cute". Obviously nothing like Frozen at the DL then.. ? As good as FOTLK?
So for me, cute is a very positive term, lol! I did rewatch some show videos and maybe I wasn't giving it enough praise. It was very good, but not mind-blowing like the pirate show in Shanghai or some of the ones in Tokyo!

Frozen is on a totally different level - with that huge theatre it can be! And FotLK is just such a super different type of show.

But don't worry - HK has some awesome entertainment, which will come up in a couple installments!
I was wondering how the language barrier was, so thanks for sharing about that! The show looks so fun- I've been to the Paris version before, but not the DL one.
Yeah, no real language barrier here! Tokyo was the worst one for non-native speakers. In Shanghai they would always try to post a CM at all locations who spoke english to help. And HK and Paris are pretty much billingual.
I love this idea, so you can pose if you want. I also love that they even put photos on a ride like WTP. It seems to me like they usually have more photos on the "thrill" type rides (which I rarely go on, or if I do, I'm too freaked out for photos lol)

That stage show looked cool with bits from a bunch of different Disney movies etc. I love that HKDL felt so international.
Yeah I loved the photo warning info! And yeah, it was cool having a photo on a non-thrill ride!
The stage show sounds great! I love live entertainment.
It was fun!

Part 10 – Fantasy Gardens, Royal Banquet Hall, Fairy Tale Forest
After the show I headed to check another offering, the Halloween Gardens. During the day Winnie the Pooh characters meet in costume (and there is plenty of candy being handed out). I would have liked to take photos with the characters, but unlike during MNSSHP only one character was out at a time and I didn’t feel like waiting in line 4 times, so I skipped it. Don’t worry – I’ll be back for more atmospheric photos though!

Jlzlcsg.jpg
heALi7r.jpg
I8yzsOY.jpg
4b7apwW.jpg

And this is a photo from later in the day, but I just got so many of these candies throughout the day! And they were yummy – either marshmallows or gummy candies (chocolate would have quickly melted)! This was my "haul" without even really trying - I got some in the gardens and some in the Nightmare before Christmas house. CMs around the hotels also have them to give out!

1wxU6RT.jpg

I think at this point I was HUNGRY! While I did eat a lot at breakfast, I really hadn’t eaten Lunch yet! So I decided to check out Royal Banquet Hall, a quick service in Fantasyland. (Note: HKDL does have some Table Service options in the park but most of those were closed when I visited due to low crowds.)

G0XcuyK.jpg

The theming is cute

ppupjsF.jpg
Pxv50KZ.jpg

Beauty and the Beast room. I liked the artwork around the walls, especially Beauty and the Beast!

oyEoqax.jpg
hlVCwTp.jpg
TexAKu9.jpg
0d3CZb5.jpg
u8ZXZ0W.jpg

Cinderella Room

BqKy7kI.jpg
lkRacbR.jpg
lvGi8ge.jpg

A variety of food options, including grilled options, Japanese options, dim sum, and “international”

H63k65a.jpg
FBpNZgM.jpg
9T2m0Iv.jpg
nkv8WSf.jpg
3xRIPMS.jpg
sJDcJcn.jpg

I went with Japanese, as it was HOT, so I felt like something refreshing. I think I must have gotten Mickey Sushi and Assorted Sushi Combo, with what looks like some sushi pieces, some soba noodles, rice with fish roe, and watermelon. (I think also it was off-meal hours so not everything may have been available on the menu). Anyways, I believe it was good!

hzg5JER.jpg

The central food area. I actually really liked the murals with all the different princesses! And the forest critters holding up the banners were so cute!

eSeuWaJ.jpg
bP71vCo.jpg
ATx4Usu.jpg
ck7feFP.jpg
q4B4UFz.jpg
UjKUoIg.jpg
Z8oXlAX.jpg

After lunch I headed to the Fairy Tale Forest. Basically Storybook Land Canal Boats, but a walk-through! I do have in my notes that there were some annoying Gen Z’s who had to get the perfect Instagram photo in every spot, which caused me to be delayed…(but that was probably just my inner grumpy-old-man coming out) But overall I still like the walk through!

AP6IWSm.jpg
QyUok52.jpg
gBOFQez.jpg

Rapunzel’s section.

jOVHiTS.jpg
zqfCgzm.jpg
Rz8V4D5.jpg
tU6nTEZ.jpg
Ixawhek.jpg

All of the sections had a couple interactive pieces. A crank by the “book” which would cause something to happen in the diorama, and a little story scene with music and other things happening.

RH8Ov74.jpg
XurStUF.jpg
cay9zx1.jpg

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. I loved how the plants changed for each area to fit the theme!

xMHxQ9u.jpg
yJTdjno.jpg
YTOXDVd.jpg
R1mvkGV.jpg
xP9UOS8.jpg
qmPbmsL.jpg
noDiW4W.jpg

Beauty and the Beast

hte1M7n.jpg
FBHY6RD.jpg
tja2zPf.jpg
vSqcV9x.jpg
77MlWgE.jpg
Ym5sbVl.jpg
R5blzqX.jpg

Another castle peaking over the hedges!

MwHiYdF.jpg

Cinderella

98nfr4Q.jpg
dHfX8wr.jpg
8CGNtTV.jpg

Pixie Hollow – I think this is where Tinkerbell actually meets, but she wasn’t there at this time. Also, I’m not sure if this was supposed to be roped off, asI followed other guests into it but when I was done it looked like CMs were shooing people out!

ecEtlPi.jpg
fHV8pZq.jpg
59NtCf5.jpg
SFiqQnn.jpg
udOzZMV.jpg
X5fqBQe.jpg

The Little Mermaid – lots of fun water features! And the ground was even in-theme!

qWsISSL.jpg
KSULzk3.jpg
k4jnCme.jpg
WnYZb6u.jpg
4n08ho4.jpg
izt3DKR.jpg
fbrS273.jpg
UDYXq0e.jpg
nFC33Yi.jpg

icbH3uC.jpg
76SYRFb.jpg

lFtDlh6.jpg
MxOygRO.jpg
bSh5D66.jpg
BDPhnGt.jpg

Overall a cute spot and I’ll be back later in the trip!

Coming up - Let's Get WICKED!!!

How fun that they have special gardens themed up for Halloween and they hand out candy there too! I love it. I would've stocked up on ALL the gummies.

Ok, I think the Fairytale Forest might be the place I would end up living in in these foreign parks. It reminds me of like Fantasy Faire mixed with Snow White's Wishing Well aka my two favorite places at Disneyland. I would just never leave. I'd probably hang out by The Little Mermaid area the most. I love all the water features and special little elements. Ugh, I would thrive.

Love all the character pumpkins.

The theming is cute

This restaurant reminds me of a combination of CRT, Be Our Guest and Akershus.

A variety of food options, including grilled options, Japanese options, dim sum, and “international”

Lots of good choices.

After lunch I headed to the Fairy Tale Forest. Basically Storybook Land Canal Boats, but a walk-through! I do have in my notes that there were some annoying Gen Z’s who had to get the perfect Instagram photo in every spot, which caused me to be delayed…(but that was probably just my inner grumpy-old-man coming out) But overall I still like the walk through!

This is the cutest area and again so much detail.

I really like at the framed photo ops.

How fun that they have special gardens themed up for Halloween and they hand out candy there too! I love it. I would've stocked up on ALL the gummies.

Ok, I think the Fairytale Forest might be the place I would end up living in in these foreign parks. It reminds me of like Fantasy Faire mixed with Snow White's Wishing Well aka my two favorite places at Disneyland. I would just never leave. I'd probably hang out by The Little Mermaid area the most. I love all the water features and special little elements. Ugh, I would thrive.
Haha, yeah I thought you'd like that area!
Gorgeous gardens, and pics!
Thanks! It was a fun, unique thing at HKDL!
Love all the character pumpkins.

This restaurant reminds me of a combination of CRT, Be Our Guest and Akershus.

Lots of good choices.

This is the cutest area and again so much detail.

I really like at the framed photo ops.
The pumpkins were even cooler at night!
I can see that similarity. It's sort of in the castle (in the same building complex at least). And I liked having lots of food choices.

The frames were awesome!

Part 11 – Let’s Get Wicked!!!
I had another thing on my agenda, so walked through Adventureland…

E8JycUK.jpg
0P8Agds.jpg
TZXc8Tl.jpg
FTgFxHj.jpg

Love the Liki Tiki’s!

q3JlOmv.jpg
ceTa4aC.jpg
DJX43N0.jpg

But it was time for yet another Halloween offering, Let’s Get Wicked. This was a new stage show this year and I had heard good things about it! It actually was in the Festival of the Lion King theatre, so that show wasn’t happening when I was there.

QBENCrK.jpg

Walking in and it already looked cool! Even though I didn’t get there far in advance, I was able to get a second row seat, on the aisle, behind a little kid, so I ended up having a great view!

PCe6rkY.jpg
ueBvISq.jpg
JmYn9FN.jpg

And the pre-show already solidified this would be something different! The host did some magic tricks but also just the overall atmosphere was so cool!

dPQTJgv.jpg
iEFcp0A.jpg
aDEix2K.jpg
VNjN3qr.jpg
ui1uSAr.jpg
Xevwdks.jpg
EQ2HgF4.jpg

Especially how the cast was encouraged to interact with people during pre-show!

2aJQxJJ.jpg
EOPzTCn.jpg
bSTK8FK.jpg

The opening number…wow! Just so shocking when dancing suddenly happens in the aisles and everywhere around you! Oh and they taught us a movement to make with our camera lights, so you can see that in the crowds across the way!

nLkVDmO.jpg
0PuLLwb.jpg
BF6mJxo.jpg
MvwKvSY.jpg
IejH27O.jpg
A1g8pLY.jpg
mcm46FY.jpg
SK3o0ug.jpg
sPhIFHM.jpg

This show had 5 villains: Ursula, Dr Facilier, Mother Gothel, Cruella De Vil, and Gaston. Each getting their own show portion! Oh and the show was in a combo of English and Chinese (unfortunately I don’t know if Cantonese or Mandarin)!

vpFImZt.jpg
hX4GfzD.jpg
3JZtCoY.jpg
CZqlLFc.jpg
1pbLc4w.jpg

I believe I was in the Ursula section… Which I later discovered had some of the best views as the production booth was behind us, so performers would sometimes end up focusing on our section!

Wp6Fa15.jpg

Dr Facilier showed up. (Certainly this performer wasn’t exactly spot on in looks, but it worked in the show)

YCvy4wQ.jpg
RcdNeAl.jpg
LsKuyhk.jpg

And suddenly one of the hosts is flying around!

roHiO0v.jpg
c7jGnNL.jpg
xQEmmLl.jpg
lett6L7.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter