• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Big part of the Big Problem... Staffing

Personally, I'm getting tired of the "we are understaffed" issue. If there are so many jobs that need to be filled, why did the US pay $2.54 billion in unemployment benefits in March 2022? Maybe we need to stop paying people to not work.
You’re right. Instead of supporting people asking for what they’re worth in the job market, and instead of putting the pressure on corporations to stop exploiting workers, we should just cut off all public services so those bums just die in the streets.

Last edited:
Disney College Program is downstream from a bigger college enrollment issue. Can't utilize a college student when young adults are not staying in college.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/derekn...ot-for-the-reasons-you-think/?sh=2213548c417f
From the article:
"More accurately then, if new student enrollment is up, what colleges have is not an enrollment crisis. What colleges have is a retention crisis. The drop in attendance, in other words, is being driven entirely by those in college not staying in college. Nuance, but an important distinction."
"In announcing the new data set, Doug Shapiro of the Clearinghouse told reporters that it 'suggests that there’s a broader question about the value of college and particularly concerns about student debt and paying for college and potential labor market returns.'"
"
"Students who signed up for and took out loans to experience the college experience found themselves on soulless zoom calls. They’ve been pushed off campus and yanked back again. Classes are suddenly “hybrid” or worse. They’ve rightly found that online learning is not anywhere near the quality or experience of the real thing and they don’t understand why they’re being asked to invest – financially and otherwise – in a noticeably inferior product. [emphasis mine]"

Forgive me if you've answered this in 14 pages - what kind of operations training are newcomers who at least know the basics getting on the job?

Well, we are not hiring a lot of operations people at the moment. Drivers are an issue. We do not give training to drivers; we are looking for experienced drivers who already have those skills. If you do not have a good log, we can't use you unfortunately.

We are hiring yard workers. They too do not get a lot of operations training since that's not their job. Although if you are asking about things like how to operate a forklift, yes - we teach them that. We do not have a lot of qualifications for those jobs other than you have to be willing to work hard, and understand that the job is largely outdoors (although we have free water and gatoraide). If they are interested in learning about operations and show drive and initiative, their manager will often look for opportunities for them to help out in those areas. But these positions are mostly for moving material around.

My apologies if that was not the question you were asking.

People chose to retire early. People got laid off and decided to retire early. Parents left the workforce due to childcare costs, Covid fears, and/or remote learning, then decided not to return for whatever reason. A million people died. Many other people got long Covid or became caregivers. People who catch Covid have to call in sick for 1-2 weeks.

It's a wonder staffing isn't MORE of a problem, tbh.

Many people got fired because they wouldn’t get a Covid shot, and many people took an early retirement or quit so they wouldn’t be forced to get one.
They are almost all back in the work force in one way or another now that those requirements have all but been abandoned. But it had an impact, to be sure.

They are almost all back in the work force in one way or another now that those requirements have all but been abandoned. But it had an impact, to be sure.
I know someone that worked in healthcare that refused to the get the shot and got fired. Now, she has a new job, but it pays way less.

And it's really not surprising that the boomers are retiring.

People chose to retire early. People got laid off and decided to retire early. Parents left the workforce due to childcare costs, Covid fears, and/or remote learning, then decided not to return for whatever reason. A million people died. Many other people got long Covid or became caregivers. People who catch Covid have to call in sick for 1-2 weeks.

It's a wonder staffing isn't MORE of a problem, tbh.
Not to mention 2+ years of significantly reduced immigration. US population is reducing based just on domestic births.

Personally, I'm getting tired of the "we are understaffed" issue. If there are so many jobs that need to be filled, why did the US pay $2.54 billion in unemployment benefits in March 2022? Maybe we need to stop paying people to not work.
There is no such thing as zero unemployment. Zero unemployment is a bad thing. Full employment is considered around what 4%.

The reason for the shortages is baby boomers retired en mass and younger workers have options and don’t have to take **** jobs because of all the vacancies. Who wants to work for low wages in shot jobs when there are an abundance of openings in better paying jobs. Right now you have a labor friendly job market.

However you now have businesses doing mass layoffs because of an impending recession. Essentially they are trying to reset the labor market to be back on the employer side and less friendly towards labor. Funny how the wealthy win on the way up and then win on the way down. Musk, Bezos, the billionaire ruling class et mostly all benefited greatly by the fiscal and monetary policy of the Covid era and the inflation that has occurred. Now they are going to win on they way back down. The handouts to individuals did not cause the inflation. We the people got chump change compared to the cheap and/or free trillions that were funneled to businesses and the financial markets.

Last edited:
The bigger issue with open iobs is that many of the businesses are just not viable because they never factored labor into their business plan.

Yes even a place like Disney and Universal.

"We can't pay our workers more. If we do we will have to raise prices and reduce profits."

If you can't afford to pay your workers enough to provide your product at a reasonable price, all that means is you business model doesn't work.

For at least a decade now Disney has skirted by with running short staffed. Now it's at a breaking point.

Raise wages and prices or cut into profits and bring the stock to the level it should actually be at?

There is no such thing as zero unemployment. Zero unemployment is a bad thing. Full employment is considered around what 4%.

The reason for the shortages is baby boomers retired en mass and younger workers have options and don’t have to take **** jobs because of all the vacancies. Who wants to work for low wages in shot jobs when there are an abundance of openings in better paying jobs. Right now you have a labor friendly job market.

However you now have businesses doing mass layoffs because of an impending recession. Essentially they are trying to reset the labor market to be back on the employer side and less friendly towards labor. Funny how the wealthy win on the way up and then win on the way down. Musk, Bezos, the billionaire ruling class et mostly all benefited greatly by the fiscal and monetary policy of the Covid era and the inflation that has occurred. Now they are going to win on they way back down. The handouts to individuals did not cause the inflation. We the people got chump change compared to the cheap and/or free trillions that were funneled to businesses and the financial markets.
Totally off topic, but as a professor of management I have to interject that 0% unemployment being a bad thing that we were all taught is only from the perspective of a capitalist market. For labor it’s a good thing as it drives up wages.

As someone who has been unemployed for almost a year and a half, I find this type of post very painful. I had a job I enjoyed, a department of people I enjoyed working with, and a great manager. Covid took that away, right around the time the extra unemployment benefits went away. My unemployment lasted 13 weeks. I have excellent qualifications, and that is my problem. I can’t get an interview because when a company looks at my resume, they see one of two things: either they will have to pay me for my experience (so they decide to go cheap) or if it’s an entry level position, they know as soon as I can find something better, I will leave (because I can’t live on the low entry level wages). It’s not just me. Others who worked with me are running into the same issue. We want to work and we can’t even get an interview. I am living on savings right now and believe me, if I could find a position paying 2/3 of what I used to make, I would be the most loyal employee on the planet. It’s frustrating and discouraging when others assume people are lazy or unmotivated because they aren’t working.

As someone who has been unemployed for almost a year and a half, I find this type of post very painful. I had a job I enjoyed, a department of people I enjoyed working with, and a great manager. Covid took that away, right around the time the extra unemployment benefits went away. My unemployment lasted 13 weeks. I have excellent qualifications, and that is my problem. I can’t get an interview because when a company looks at my resume, they see one of two things: either they will have to pay me for my experience (so they decide to go cheap) or if it’s an entry level position, they know as soon as I can find something better, I will leave (because I can’t live on the low entry level wages). It’s not just me. Others who worked with me are running into the same issue. We want to work and we can’t even get an interview. I am living on savings right now and believe me, if I could find a position paying 2/3 of what I used to make, I would be the most loyal employee on the planet. It’s frustrating and discouraging when others assume people are lazy or unmotivated because they aren’t working.
I agree 100%. During Covid I was working a minimum wage job and I was job hunting on the side. It was like pulling teeth trying to get an interview. And what happened when I managed to get one? Ghosted immediately afterwards. It feels like employers are putting up "We are hiring" signs but are not actually hiring. Keep in mind that even places like Dick Sporting Goods were ghosting me LOL. I eventually found a better paying job where I could work from home but it took A LOT of work to do so.

The vision requirement to be a bus driver is sadly also still in place.
Not exactly the same thing and I think you know that. Just pointing out that the vaccine requirement didn't go away everywhere and whether you think it should be a requirement or not there are people leaving the healthcare field due to not being able to or not wanting to take the vaccine. It is just a fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter