• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Big part of the Big Problem... Staffing

Yes Pickles I was going to say the same see its RIGHT THERE "hard work" "Good decisions" - they pretend that's what separates them from others. Like other people haven't worked hard, or like they haven't made any bad decisions. This isn't a meritocracy, no matter how much people want to think it is. For ever $1M income that exists hundreds (thousands?) of low incomes have to exist, for ever 100K income that exists, dozens of low incomes exist. Its a pyramid. If everyone "worked hard" and "made good decisions" you'd still have the exact same pyramid, the same number of low income earners, etc.
Is there SOME merit in the system? Do "good decisions" and "hard work" make a difference ? Partially / sometimes, absolutely. But its mostly just luck. Even the ability to be in a position to work hard / make good decisions is luck. Who / how we are born, what mentors / social environments we are born into, its all luck.
Absolutely. And this illusion of a meritocracy is perpetuated by the people at the top of the pyramid so that the people in the middle of the pyramid never give too much thought to the plight of the people at the bottom of the pyramid. It’s a lot easier to believe “you just did a better job at life” than it is to believe “you’re participating in systemic exploitation”. You want to believe it. You have to believe it. So, you believe it.

Yes Pickles I was going to say the same see its RIGHT THERE "hard work" "Good decisions" - they pretend that's what separates them from others. Like other people haven't worked hard, or like they haven't made any bad decisions. This isn't a meritocracy, no matter how much people want to think it is. For ever $1M income that exists hundreds (thousands?) of low incomes have to exist, for ever 100K income that exists, dozens of low incomes exist. Its a pyramid. If everyone "worked hard" and "made good decisions" you'd still have the exact same pyramid, the same number of low income earners, etc.
Is there SOME merit in the system? Do "good decisions" and "hard work" make a difference ? Partially / sometimes, absolutely. But its mostly just luck. Even the ability to be in a position to work hard / make good decisions is luck. Who / how we are born, what mentors / social environments we are born into, its all luck.
I guess I think of it as a blend of both luck as well as making good choices. There definitely aren't absolutes. I agree that there are a lot of people will most likely never be what's considered 'successful' due primarily to sets of circumstances outside of their control.

I guess I think of it as a blend of both luck as well as making good choices. There definitely aren't absolutes. I agree that there are a lot of people will most likely never be what's considered 'successful' due primarily to sets of circumstances outside of their control.
I agree that there is definitely an element of good luck involved but in general if you work hard you will go farther in life than if you just expect everything to be handed to you. There is meritocracy in the US. You have to work for what you get. There are many people who came from nothing that are very successful.

So your daughter had to work two jobs to save up that money? I, for some reason, thought the first online job was a volunteer position?

I think, like with attractions, any specialized position is going to depend on how many they have staffed for. If they have filled the position appropriately they aren’t going to have enough hours for you to pick up because you can’t just pick up at any position. You were trained for a certain location. However if they don’t have enough staff you can pick up quite a few it sounds like. (All location and role dependent.)
No, the person with the second job was a friend. You are trained for a location but can also pick up hours in other parks doing the same job if hours are available. And they fill the hours appropriately with their perceived minimum and then people opt out of them and others can pick them up.

Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing. It’s luck that people are born into situations that allow them to make these “good choices” and “work hard” at a job that will provide upward mobility. Many other people make good choices and work hard at jobs and will still always struggle.

Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing. It’s luck that people are born into situations that allow them to make these “good choices” and “work hard” at a job that will provide upward mobility. Many other people make good choices and work hard at jobs and will still always struggle.

There's also "Bad Luck" involved. I know people that worked countless hours for companies that jobs or whole companies suddenly went away overnight. I mean look at Netflix TODAY.

We are so grateful for everything they have done for Netflix and are working hard to support them through this difficult transition," the spokesperson continues.

They would pass it on. As I mentioned before I work for Costco. They pay living wages and yet don't pass on the labour costs to the customer.

Yep agreed.

There are many American Companies like Costco that treat employees very well.

Ours BIL works for them in Seattle Corp and loves it. He would be devastated if something went awry there.

There's also "Bad Luck" involved. I know people that worked countless hours for companies that jobs or whole companies suddenly went away overnight. I mean look at Netflix TODAY.

We are so grateful for everything they have done for Netflix and are working hard to support them through this difficult transition," the spokesperson continues.
Totally. A job loss plus some kind of emergency surgery or hospitalization would absolutely ruin the majority of Americans.

Some of that luck is knowing the right people. Frequently it is who you know rather than what you know that gets you a job.

Some of that luck is knowing the right people. Frequently it is who you know rather than what you know that gets you a job.
Certainly this is true. I know people who are in better "positions" than I am in life who are no smarter than I am, do not know more than me, and have not made better choices than I do. Likewise, I have some people working for me who are flippin' brilliant and make great choices (which is why I trust them with problems). However, they report to me and I make more than they do.

I am not jealous of the people who ended up in a better position than I am, and AFAIK the people who work for me respect me and the position I am in. Or at least they hide it darn well. :-)

I get into this argument all the time. People tell me that there are plenty of workers and there is not a staffing problem. But I sit in meeting after meeting where we can not find yard workers, and the ones we can find generally don't stay. We can not find truck drivers.... the ones we do find are generally newly licensed and really do not have the experience that our rigs require to properly get into and out of spaces, and they do not have or understand the complexities of the job - our drivers do not just sit while someone unloads the truck - they have to be competent on a forklift as well. We can find some - but none with experience. Mind you, we pay market rates - we are not undercutting. We have tried offering incentives; but they generally get people in the door, but they don't stay.

Even the fast food places around me - a lot of them have their lobbies closed because they can't get enough workers to cover it - and again those they they can get don't stay.

Staffing right now is VERY DIFFICULT.

Forgive me if you've answered this in 14 pages - what kind of operations training are newcomers who at least know the basics getting on the job?

Personally, I'm getting tired of the "we are understaffed" issue. If there are so many jobs that need to be filled, why did the US pay $2.54 billion in unemployment benefits in March 2022? Maybe we need to stop paying people to not work.
That's sooooo last year ;)

These days a lot is just migration to other industries.

You forgot year over year it was 2.81 billion less.

Unemployment you know still exists...like it did pre-pandemic shocking I know or just forgotten for whatever reason that it existed beforehand.

Personally, I'm getting tired of the "we are understaffed" issue. If there are so many jobs that need to be filled, why did the US pay $2.54 billion in unemployment benefits in March 2022? Maybe we need to stop paying people to not work.
People do not want to work for Disney (and similar theme parks) because they do not pay enough to make it worth it, especially with rising inflation. There really is not much more to it.

It also is important to note that Disney relies on the College Program to fill roles and even those kids are finding it difficult to work for Disney when they pay so little and the rent for their apartments at Flamingo Crossings are so high.

People do not want to work for Disney (and similar theme parks) because they do not pay enough to make it worth it, especially with rising inflation. There really is not much more to it.

It also is important to note that Disney relies on the College Program to fill roles and even those kids are finding it difficult to work for Disney when they pay so little and the rent for their apartments at Flamingo Crossings are so high.
I agree. But it's not just Disney. Airlines can't find pilots. Companies struggle to find cyber help. Restaurants can't find workers. Meanwhile, our government, who is already in massive debt, sends benefits and stimulus checks to people who don't work. What used to be a safety net has become a hammock.

I agree. But it's not just Disney. Airlines can't find pilots. Companies struggle to find cyber help. Restaurants can't find workers. Meanwhile, our government, who is already in massive debt, sends benefits and stimulus checks to people who don't work. What used to be a safety net has become a hammock.
It’s well documented airlines went and offered early retirement to a ton of pilots at the beginning of COVID to get them off the books. And now they don’t have enough pilots because shocker, COVID didn’t last forever.

And as has been documented earlier on, tons of people who worked lower wage jobs stopped going to them because childcare is so expensive and they realized they weren’t making anything to take home from that job, just funneled right to daycare. It’s a simple calculus; childcare needs to get cheaper (unlikely) or these jobs need to pay more.

Ah yes, let's hire the marketing agent who was just laid off by their tech firm to fly an airplane

It’s well documented airlines went and offered early retirement to a ton of pilots at the beginning of COVID to get them off the books. And now they don’t have enough pilots because shocker, COVID didn’t last forever.

And as has been documented earlier on, tons of people who worked lower wage jobs stopped going to them because childcare is so expensive and they realized they weren’t making anything to take home from that job, just funneled right to daycare. It’s a simple calculus; childcare needs to get cheaper (unlikely) or these jobs need to pay more.
Also, millions of Americans just walked away from the workforce forever. When so many retire at one time, many years ahead of their planned retirement, it creates a huge void. They void is higher up in the wage scale, so it raised a lot of boats. But it created a void at the bottom of the wage scale.

It will take years for America to fill this workplace void. And it really isn't anyone's fault. Covid happened, and it changed a lot of priorities.

Ah yes, let's hire the marketing agent who was just laid off by their tech firm to fly an airplane
Trying to find where I suggested hiring unqualified people. Maybe I missed it.
The airlines had pilots, they just sent them home to save money despite the government sending them money to maintain their workforce. That said, I'd rather pay for the former marketing agent to go to flight school than just provide a blank check.

Don't forget that the boomer generation was called that for a reason. It was a huge sudden increase in the population. Now they are retired. We don't have the workforce to support them and ourselves. Our only hope was to bring workers in from other countries before the vast majority retired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter