• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Big part of the Big Problem... Staffing

Whats funny is all the posters that think I am not being nice for judging employees dress codes, are being so judgemental themselves. Calling out a company lowering its standards was the point I was trying to make when pointing out a few employees I encountered. Hope you live up to the same standards you are applying to others. 😊
Yeah no I don't judge people on what they wear to their place of employment, nor their physical characteristics and I certainly am not saying that Disney is lowering their standards, goodness gracious do you know how much worse that sounds (again) because of how you explained what you meant? I'm far from perfect but I don't do what you described doing. You're trying to divert the heat away to other posters to take it away from your comments, it's clear. I get it you didn't think what you were actually thinking would come off so bad, but it did.

Which is why Disney will always pay a little less than others.
This is exactly what I mean when I say that Disney is using their brand to take advantage of people by paying them less. The allure of working at a world class theme park is enough to justify being paid like crap and be given 12-13 hour shifts where you're treated terribly by guests. What's happening right now is that people are realizing that it's not enough and are leaving to find better jobs elsewhere.

Yeah no I don't judge people on what they wear to their place of employment, nor their physical characteristics and I certainly am not saying that Disney is lowering their standards, goodness gracious do you know how much worse that sounds (again) because of how you explained what you meant? I'm far from perfect but I don't do what you described doing. You're trying to divert the heat away to other posters to take it away from your comments, it's clear. I get it you didn't think what you were actually thinking would come off so bad, but it did.
Like I said I guess its a generational thing, having dress codes for work. I remember the days of working in the office when they decided to allow casual Friday. I also remember Disney having their employees having the stricter dress code. I came here to make that comment some time ago. I not here to debate my ideas. You have yours, I have mine. Judge as you may.

Like I said I guess its a generational thing, having dress codes for work. I remember the days of working in the office when they decided to allow casual Friday. I also remember Disney having their employees having the stricter dress code. I came here to make that comment some time ago. I not here to debate my ideas. You have yours, I have mine. Judge as you may.
Nah what's a generational thing is your thoughts towards those workers although that would do a disservice to those in other generations who don't think like you on the subject matter. No one is truly debating with you, just trying to tell you you're not coming off how you think you are, that's why people responded the way they did, it's just one of those cases where your expanded explanation might have been better left unsaid, if you didn't want further comments that is. Either way enjoy your day :)

So is Universal Studios paying a lot more than WDW? I thought it was about the same, and they apparently have huge money (with all the expansion etc going on).

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer they both paid a LOT more.

So is Universal Studios paying a lot more than WDW? I thought it was about the same, and they apparently have huge money (with all the expansion etc going on).

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer they both paid a LOT more.
I think Universal is paying similarly to WDW (or at least that's what I'm finding according to Indeed). However, according to my sister's former Disney coworker that left WDW for Universal, he said the biggest change was the workplace culture. Universal has a WAY better workplace environment than Disney does. If I were to guess, it probably has to do with Universal employees not having to abide by a super clean, family friendly image that Disney employees do.

However if you read Indeed and Glassdoor reviews, a consistent theme that comes up is hands off management, long hours, low pay and terrible treatment from guests so this is not a Disney exclusive problem.

Call me crazy, but I think Disney will do just fine if they increase wages. We are getting gouged on the regular. It's a tough price to pay (no pun intended) to be a WDW fan.
Thinking Disney will be fine if they increase wages still doesn't mean they won't pass that on in higher prices.

I think Universal is paying similarly to WDW (or at least that's what I'm finding according to Indeed). However, according to my sister's former Disney coworker that left WDW for Universal, he said the biggest change was the workplace culture. Universal has a WAY better workplace environment than Disney does. If I were to guess, it probably has to do with Universal employees not having to abide by a super clean, family friendly image that Disney employees do.

However if you read Indeed and Glassdoor reviews, a consistent theme that comes up is hands off management, long hours, low pay and terrible treatment from guests so this is not a Disney exclusive problem.

That's a shame, but what I figured. They are just as bad when it comes to paying employees.

I think it’s human nature to minimize cost while maximizing gains. We all do it everyday. I don’t know why we should expect any different for business and companies?
I don’t know about you, but I don’t go out of my way to make sure I’m taking advantage of people to whatever extent they’ll allow while also making sure I offer as little back to those around me as they’ll tolerate.

But see, there you have it right there..”hard work”…”good decisions”. There are plenty of people that work hard and make the best decisions available to them that aren’t as fortunate for a host of factors. It’s the illusion of meritocracy.
Wow!
I don’t believe that at all.
We are just solid middle class people and got here because of hard work and good decisions about school, jobs, saving and spending.
I don’t think I’m better than my parents who were solidly lower middle class but worked as hard as we did.
I don’t think my hard working 25 year old son (works probably 10-12 hour days 5 days a week) thinks he’s inherently better than me because he makes more money now than I did after 33 years of being a nurse.
What a sad way to think!
Yes Pickles I was going to say the same see its RIGHT THERE "hard work" "Good decisions" - they pretend that's what separates them from others. Like other people haven't worked hard, or like they haven't made any bad decisions. This isn't a meritocracy, no matter how much people want to think it is. For ever $1M income that exists hundreds (thousands?) of low incomes have to exist, for ever 100K income that exists, dozens of low incomes exist. Its a pyramid. If everyone "worked hard" and "made good decisions" you'd still have the exact same pyramid, the same number of low income earners, etc.
Is there SOME merit in the system? Do "good decisions" and "hard work" make a difference ? Partially / sometimes, absolutely. But its mostly just luck. Even the ability to be in a position to work hard / make good decisions is luck. Who / how we are born, what mentors / social environments we are born into, its all luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter