A bit bored at the Studios

You dont see how its a half day park? Its quite easy. Its always been a half day park for me too.
Let me tell you why...

RNRR - Hell nah! Makes me dizzy/nauseous
ToT - DOUBLE HELL NAH! I dont want to die. Terrified of this ride.
Beauty and the Beast - Depends on the show times, if i have to wait too long for the next show, or if im busy, i'll pass.
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy - Depends on the show times, if i have to wait too long for the next show, i'll pass. Usually it doesnt work out.
Frozen Sing a Long - Hell nah!
Star Tours - Triple hell nah! I get sick on this ride
Indiana Jones - Saw it way too many times. No thanks
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction) - Meh, probably not
Disney Jr. meet and greets - Lol! Nope!
Disney Jr. Dance Party - LOL! Nope! Are you kidding?
Voyage of the Little Mermaid - Nope.
Meet Mike and Sully - If the line is too long, i'll pass.
Slinky Dog Dash - Yes!
Alien Saucers - Nope! makes me nauseous
TSMM - YES!
Meet Toy Story characters - if the line is long, i'll pass. Actually i normally dont take character pics.
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies) - No thanks!
Muppets - Yes, but not always. Depends on my mood
Fantamic - NOPE!
Not a fan

Now, how many definite "yes" are there on my list?? Lol. Really though, who actually does EVERY attraction at a park in one day? There are many reasons why people find this a half day park. These are mine. Keep in mind I dont travel with small children.

RNRR - super fun, love trying it from different rows
ToT - LOVE! Been riding since it opened, randomized drops make it new every time
Beauty and the Beast - One of the best show on property, Broadway quality, not to miss
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy - Depends on the show times, if i have to wait too long for the next show, i'll pass. Usually it doesnt work out. (I don't understand this, it runs consecutively all day, the wait is never more than 15 minutes and it's adorable)
Frozen Sing a Long - Always! Ben is so funny and gets me every time
Star Tours - Fun ride, randomization makes it fun every time
Indiana Jones - love! the different volunteers make it different every time
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction) - Some of our best character interactions happen here, my daughter played Miss Mary Mack with the Jawas and we will never forget that
Disney Jr. meet and greets - fun, unique characters
Disney Jr. Dance Party - LOL! Nope! Are you kidding? - not kidding, it's lively and fun and A/C and why not?
Voyage of the Little Mermaid - Nope. My favorite character so a must do
Meet Mike and Sully - If the line is too long, i'll pass. - they are a great interactive meet and greet
Slinky Dog Dash - Yes! - agreed
Alien Saucers - Nope! makes me nauseous - super fun
TSMM - YES! - agreed
Meet Toy Story characters - if the line is long, i'll pass. Actually i normally dont take character pics. - I don't either but Bo Peep is new and unique so I will stop by at some point
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies) - No thanks! - have you actually had a num num cookie? to die for. Plus I was "interviewed" on screen down there and met Edna Mode. It was such a good time
Muppets - Yes, but not always. Depends on my mood - same but worth it for the average guest
Fantamic - NOPE! Not a fan - it has ALL iterations of Mickey. Should be seen at least once. Watch the fireworks instead if Fantasmic isn't your thing. Still able to fill your night

I also love 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi and the encounters in the streets (Citizens of Hollywood, Stormtroopers etc) Baseline taphouse is soooo yummy. I don't get the hate for Hollywood at all. I don't have small children either (almost 11 and 14, and the 14 year old rarely goes) this is what I enjoy as an adult.
I can understand if you don't like the attractions they have, but it is not an empty half day park as people suggest unless YOU make it that way. There is plenty to see, do, eat, and buy

RNRR - super fun, love trying it from different rows
ToT - LOVE! Been riding since it opened, randomized drops make it new every time
Beauty and the Beast - One of the best show on property, Broadway quality, not to miss
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy - Depends on the show times, if i have to wait too long for the next show, i'll pass. Usually it doesnt work out. (I don't understand this, it runs consecutively all day, the wait is never more than 15 minutes and it's adorable)
Frozen Sing a Long - Always! Ben is so funny and gets me every time
Star Tours - Fun ride, randomization makes it fun every time
Indiana Jones - love! the different volunteers make it different every time
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction) - Some of our best character interactions happen here, my daughter played Miss Mary Mack with the Jawas and we will never forget that
Disney Jr. meet and greets - fun, unique characters
Disney Jr. Dance Party - LOL! Nope! Are you kidding? - not kidding, it's lively and fun and A/C and why not?
Voyage of the Little Mermaid - Nope. My favorite character so a must do
Meet Mike and Sully - If the line is too long, i'll pass. - they are a great interactive meet and greet
Slinky Dog Dash - Yes! - agreed
Alien Saucers - Nope! makes me nauseous - super fun
TSMM - YES! - agreed
Meet Toy Story characters - if the line is long, i'll pass. Actually i normally dont take character pics. - I don't either but Bo Peep is new and unique so I will stop by at some point
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies) - No thanks! - have you actually had a num num cookie? to die for. Plus I was "interviewed" on screen down there and met Edna Mode. It was such a good time
Muppets - Yes, but not always. Depends on my mood - same but worth it for the average guest
Fantamic - NOPE! Not a fan - it has ALL iterations of Mickey. Should be seen at least once. Watch the fireworks instead if Fantasmic isn't your thing. Still able to fill your night

I also love 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi and the encounters in the streets (Citizens of Hollywood, Stormtroopers etc) Baseline taphouse is soooo yummy. I don't get the hate for Hollywood at all. I don't have small children either (almost 11 and 14, and the 14 year old rarely goes) this is what I enjoy as an adult.
I can understand if you don't like the attractions they have, but it is not an empty half day park as people suggest unless YOU make it that way. There is plenty to see, do, eat, and buy
Oh yes, I enjoy 50's/Sci Fi and the street things too. Love it actually! But for A LOT of people this is a half day park (from what i've observed on these boards over the years lol). Back in the day when my son travelled to disney with me, when he was younger, yes we've spent a full day here maybe once or twice. But not more than that.

A few notes to mention. I was in disney in November. Havent been since. So I haven't seen the Lightning McQueen show yet. I havent even looked it up so I had no idea that it was running all day long. Good to know! And yes, i've seen fantasmic. Not a fan. I've seen the star wars show/fireworks.
I agree about Beauty/Beast. I love it too. But it doesnt always work out for me.

Here's what I don't get; why take out a perfectly good, beloved ride or attraction to add a new ride/attraction when the park really needs both? GMR and Animation Academy in DHS, Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, Maelstrom in Epcot, even Mr. Toad's in MK - imagine if all of these things existed in addition to what replaced them. The parks have space - why not keep them?

Well it's no secret that this is a half day park right now. It's been that way for awhile, so it's not like this is anything new. However, come SWGE this park is going to be a full day if not a day and a half. HS was great in the 1990's. It was my favorite park back then, but those attractions would not hold up in 2019.

Well for one, Horizons was falling into a sink hole. I missed GMR and am very bitter about it - and truthfully I think that ride could have continued into forever, just update a few sets. Maelstrom sort of lives on... sorta. Mr. Toad isn't on the same level as Pooh, and those other Epcot rides would have been put out of commission just because technology.

How is SWGE going to turn this into a full day? because you're going to be waiting in FOP esque ride queues all day?

Just because its a half day park to a single person doesn't mean its a half day park to everyone. I think its misleading to say DHS doesn't have enough attractions to warrant a full day, because they do - they just might not have enough that appeal to YOU for a full day. And if that makes it a half day park for you, that's fine! I would urge first timers to take these opinions with a grain of salt. As a best practice when planning, first timers should look up the attractions and determine which ones they want to see and do. They can then build in the time from there. Might only be a half day, but that's ok. There's a lot of people who like DHS or AK for a half day. Or don't visit Epcot because their kids don't like World Showcase. Or don't visit MK because they have too many kiddie rides. Not every attraction in every park has to cater to the masses.

Here's what I don't get; why take out a perfectly good, beloved ride or attraction to add a new ride/attraction when the park really needs both? GMR and Animation Academy in DHS, Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, Maelstrom in Epcot, even Mr. Toad's in MK - imagine if all of these things existed in addition to what replaced them. The parks have space - why not keep them?

Because it's cheaper to update an existing ride than to have to build it from the ground up, and actually MK doesn't have the space. I have complaints about some of the things that are happening at WDW right now, but one thing they're finally getting right is all of the new attractions that are in development.

Well for one, Horizons was falling into a sink hole. I missed GMR and am very bitter about it - and truthfully I think that ride could have continued into forever, just update a few sets. Maelstrom sort of lives on... sorta. Mr. Toad isn't on the same level as Pooh, and those other Epcot rides would have been put out of commission just because technology.

How is SWGE going to turn this into a full day? because you're going to be waiting in FOP esque ride queues all day?

It will turn it into a full day because the land itself is part of the experience. It's not just about rushing to queue. Folk will want to linger in SWGE for a few hours, get a drink at the Cantina, meet characters, etc.

It may occupy me for a full day when things settle down enough with SWGE for us to make an attempt. It amuses me that people argue over whether the park should be a full day or half day park. lol. Who cares if some of us do not want to stay all day or think most of the attractions are aimed at little kids? Clearly this just a matter of opinion and perspective. I do not hate the park or even dislike it. I usually go. But I do not normally get hopper tickets so yeah, sometimes I get aggravated when I realize I am bored at noon but have a dinner reservation at 5. lol. My own fault... I grew up on the west coast and was a DL kid way back in the 60’s. I still love all the “rides”. I am not a big fan of most shows, especially the ones where you wait in line to get in. Muppets is cute and good for a dose of air conditioning if we need a break. But I am not trying to convince anyone they are wrong if they disagree with me. Lighten up folks.

Well it's no secret that this is a half day park right now. It's been that way for awhile, so it's not like this is anything new. However, come SWGE this park is going to be a full day if not a day and a half. HS was great in the 1990's. It was my favorite park back then, but those attractions would not hold up in 2019.

Well, it is a secret, and a false one at that. Did you even read all of the reasons how/why people feel this is a full day park? It's only half day to someone that intentionally skips attractions. To do everything the park has to offer, it's a full day, even more, depending on crowds.

The half day park thing has been a debate for a longggggggggg time (years). it is a weird park, not what it was intended to be, morphed into something else.

I like HS well enough.

I will say the fireworks are terrible now. in 2015 the star wars fireworks were a highligh of our trip. Now it is movie clips on the Chinese theater and a few low level bottle rockt type fireworks and a few burst of hot flames. Terrible. Should have done fantasmic.

The half day park thing has been a debate for a longggggggggg time (years). it is a weird park, not what it was intended to be, morphed into something else.

I like HS well enough.

I will say the fireworks are terrible now. in 2015 the star wars fireworks were a highligh of our trip. Now it is movie clips on the Chinese theater and a few low level bottle rockt type fireworks and a few burst of hot flames. Terrible. Should have done fantasmic.
When the Star Wars fireworks were just fireworks and not the laser/light show, it was amazing. They were quite honestly the best fireworks I had seen anywhere. You could feel the impact throughout your body. Now, while the laser and light effects are neat, it's nowhere near as great of a spectacle as it was. I really wish they brought back the original Star Wars fireworks show.

I like HS well enough.

Yes its been a debate for years. Lol.

And I totally agree with you about the star wars show. I personally wasn't thrilled with it either.

This may get me thrown off the DisBoards, but ...... my family doesn't like Star Wars. We have our reasons, but generally just don't see the attraction. Two weeks ago we walked into a character meet and got our picture taken with a Staw Wars guy. He tried his best to interact with us, but we honestly had no idea what he was talking about. When we left, we asked the CM who the character was. The CM looked horrified, then told us Kylo Wren.
That said, we are excited for the opening of the Star Wars area because that could mean shorter lines at RRC and TT.

This may get me thrown off the DisBoards, but ...... my family doesn't like Star Wars. We have our reasons, but generally just don't see the attraction. Two weeks ago we walked into a character meet and got our picture taken with a Staw Wars guy. He tried his best to interact with us, but we honestly had no idea what he was talking about. When we left, we asked the CM who the character was. The CM looked horrified, then told us Kylo Wren.
That said, we are excited for the opening of the Star Wars area because that could mean shorter lines at RRC and TT.
Lol, you're not alone, many people haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies. Kylo Ren is from the newer movies, so he's not nearly as iconic as Darth Vader or Chewbacca. Though I do question why you went to a Star Wars meet and greet if you don't like them...

Lol, you're not alone, many people haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies. Kylo Ren is from the newer movies, so he's not nearly as iconic as Darth Vader or Chewbacca. Though I do question why you went to a Star Wars meet and greet if you don't like them...
Fair question. It was through the Disney Visa card character meet. There was no wait and we had 15 minutes to kill. They ended up being some of our favorite pictures because the awkwardness is so obvious. We went in hoping it would be one of the early characters like you mentioned. Kylo, or Mr. Ren, caught on pretty quick that we were Star Wars impared and made the best of it. I give those character folks credit - they do a really good job of reading their audience and making it work.

Fair question. It was through the Disney Visa card character meet. There was no wait and we had 15 minutes to kill. They ended up being some of our favorite pictures because the awkwardness is so obvious. We went in hoping it would be one of the early characters like you mentioned. Kylo, or Mr. Ren, caught on pretty quick that we were Star Wars impared and made the best of it. I give those character folks credit - they do a really good job of reading their audience and making it work.
That makes sense. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing, I just know I wouldn't do a meet and greet with people I didn't really know. But in your case that's very reasonable.

That makes sense. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing, I just know I wouldn't do a meet and greet with people I didn't really know. But in your case that's very reasonable.
Didn't take it as critisism, but thanks. When he started talking to me and asked questions about "the force", I immediately regreted going in there.

Didn't take it as critisism, but thanks. When he started talking to me and asked questions about "the force", I immediately regreted going in there.

Don’t feel bad. I like SW okay (the early ones more than recent and hate the middle ones] and would have had no idea about Kylo Ren either. haha. My son would be horrified, but if it wasn’t a wookie or C3PO I would have passed. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter