A bit bored at the Studios

We always leave DHS by noon or no later than 1pm. We've done the shows and Star Wars dessert party multiple times. After we do our fastpasses and do some shopping, we usually leave.

Oh, I totally agree with the OP. It's funny to me how many people are on the defensive for HS in it's current state. It is clearly a poor value and waste of a ticket if you don't have hoppers. Disney basically took away all of our family's favourites: Great Movie Ride, Backlot Express, Lights, Motors Action, Streets of America and the Honey I shrunk the kids playground (our kids far prefered that playground over meeting a character). Most of these lost attractions were good for all ages. They replaced these with...2 rides, one of which small children cannot ride. Waiting years to open up more attractions than that and keeping half the park under construction was a dumb decision on Disney's part. Great Movie ride should not have been closed until SWGE was open.

I feel like those who don't understand the OP's position are possibly fans that are newer to the parks and didn't visit / don't remember what HS was like in the past.

Oh, I totally agree with the OP. It's funny to me how many people are on the defensive for HS in it's current state. It is clearly a poor value and waste of a ticket if you don't have hoppers. Disney basically took away all of our family's favourites: Great Movie Ride, Backlot Express, Lights, Motors Action, Streets of America and the Honey I shrunk the kids playground (our kids far prefered that playground over meeting a character). Most of these lost attractions were good for all ages. They replaced these with...2 rides, one of which small children cannot ride. Waiting years to open up more attractions than that and keeping half the park under construction was a dumb decision on Disney's part. Great Movie ride should not have been closed until SWGE was open.

I feel like those who don't understand the OP's position are possibly fans that are newer to the parks and didn't visit / don't remember what HS was like in the past.
I loved MGM back in the day and I love HS now. I don't think it's impossible to love both. I can find more than enough to do in the park to fill an entire day now, even 1.5 days when I have the time. Just because some people don't want to experience everything a park has to offer doesn't mean it's a poor value for everyone.

RNRR
ToT
Beauty and the Beast
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy
Frozen Sing a Long
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction)
Disney Jr. meet and greets
Disney Jr. Dance Party
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Meet Mike and Sully
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Saucers
TSMM
Meet Toy Story characters
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies)
Muppets

Assuming you spent 30 minutes at each one, that's an 9 hour day
Add in Fantasmic, the Star Wars stage shows, meal breaks, longer lines, shopping, bathroom breaks, I do not see how this is a 1/2 day park, unless you are just intentionally skipping half of the park
I believe the OP mentioned the prevalence of meet and greets, which I've noticed have increased exponentially over the years. Your list highlights this fact. It makes sense, something to put on the map that costs Disney little.

Actually glad OP posted this. DH and I are taking a couples trip next month and I had decided to use DHS as our arrival day park for just those reasons. The earliest we can get to the park is 2pm. We plan to use our three FP and have a sit down dinner then wander around and stay for either Fantasmic or the fireworks show Just isn’t enough to appeal to DH right now Because he isn’t into character M&G which is what we usually use to fill the time with the kiddos. I will say if we had the kids with us it would still be a full day park for us even with all the closed attractions and stores. But as a couple not so much right now.

I'm struck by the number of people that would never dream of skipping a dark ride at MK like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc. that never changes. It's the same ride you have ridden the 15 previous times.

Yet, many of these same people talk about how the shows at HS are a one and done. While the general script may be the same, the individual performances ensure there is at least something new every time you watch it.

So, why are dark rides repeatable and shows are not? Please don't counter your argument with thrill rides like RNR or ToT. I get that thrill rides are different (though if you only want thrill rides, Disney is not the best place to spend your money).

So, someone please explain to me why Peter Pan must be repeated every trip, while Beauty & The Beast, Frozen Sing A Long, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, etc. do not.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions, like many people are, and mischaracterizing things, like many people are.
All of those rides may have been your favorite, but they were getting old and stale. Let's be honest, many kids nowadays wouldn't recognize many of the films featured in Great Movie Ride, and with current technology employed in the parks the scenes were very dated. The whole theme of HS being about a Hollywood backlot was entertaining and neat, but it too was getting tired. The idea was for the new Mickey and Minnie ride to be open at the same time, which took place of Great Movie Ride. That was delayed though. That park has always had a bit of an identity crisis when they never truly stuck with the Hollywood theme. When they started putting in movie and character specific rides, things got messy. And that happened many years ago. HS is indeed in a transitional stage that's going to last for a handful of years.

But it is NOT clearly a waste of a ticket. It's all personal preference. I don't think it's a poor value, as I know some people that make it their first stop. Myself, I love AK and could easily spend a day there. Others can only spend 2 or 3 hours there max. I visited HS/MGM in the past (yes, I was there when it was MGM), and remember all there was. I understand why HS is the way it is now. I respect everyone's opinion about how they feel about parks and rides, but I don't agree with people making wide assumptions and acting as though those in disagreement don't understand.

We always have park hopper so it is not a waste of a ticket for us at all. I find myself loving that park. For some reason I get the same feeling I get at the MK (I don't know why). As far as a half day park/full day park, to each their own. I can see it both ways. We take an afternoon swim/rest break and in 2017 I think we went to Disney Springs after our break and last year we went back to DHS after the break and stayed until park closing. We really enjoyed walking Grand Ave and Commissary Lane at park closing. We felt like we had the park to ourselves until we reconnected to the courtyard by the theater.

Disney basically took away all of our family's favourites: Great Movie Ride, Backlot Express, Lights, Motors Action, Streets of America and the Honey I shrunk the kids playground (our kids far prefered that playground over meeting a character).
I feel like those who don't understand the OP's position are possibly fans that are newer to the parks and didn't visit / don't remember what HS was like in the pa

It’s not a matter of not understanding, its personal preferences.

We started going to HS a month after it opened so I’m fully aware of how it used to be. All the things you listed with the exception of GMR, we disliked. It wasn't until TSL opened that I actually enjoyed it enough to spend several half days there. We never do full days at any park, we open 1 park, close another. Before TSL, HS got 2 half days, but only to see both Fantasmic and the fireworks. With SWGE, HS will probably be the park that gets the most visits per trip for us.

What I don’t get is not being able to understand that just because you don't like something and others do, they must not know how good it used to be, they’re newbies or they’re apologists. I also don’t get the one and done with a show, but the desire to ride the same roller coaster dozens of times. I’ve probably seen Fantasmic 20 times and I’m still excited to see it again n our next trip.

I don’t want WDW to become an amusement park packed with dozens of rides and nothing else. If I wanted that, I’d go to Universal.

It’s not a matter of not understanding, its personal preferences.

We started going to HS a month after it opened so I’m fully aware of how it used to be. All the things you listed with the exception of GMR, we disliked. It wasn't until TSL opened that I actually enjoyed it enough to spend several half days there. We never do full days at any park, we open 1 park, close another. Before TSL, HS got 2 half days, but only to see both Fantasmic and the fireworks. With SWGE, HS will probably be the park that gets the most visits per trip for us.

What I don’t get is not being able to understand that just because you don't like something and others do, they must not know how good it used to be, they’re newbies or they’re apologists. I also don’t get the one and done with a show, but the desire to ride the same roller coaster dozens of times. I’ve probably seen Fantasmic 20 times and I’m still excited to see it again n our next trip.

I don’t want WDW to become an amusement park packed with dozens of rides and nothing else. If I wanted that, I’d go to Universal.

I am not even going to bother typing up my original reply, since yours completely nailed it. I'll add this:

HS is my favorite park. Our best trip memories happened there. We love characters, shows, eating at Baseline and people watching. We love the atmosphere and the feeling we get there. ToT is my husband's favorite ride. Slinky is my daughter's favorite ride. We are huge Toy Story fans, so that added even more to how much we love it.

First time I went to HS was 10 years ago. We did the Backlot tour and loved it. We did GMR and loved it. I'm ok with change, though. GMR scared the heck out of my kid when she rode it in 2015. People like different things.

That's what I love about WDW. So many things for so many different people. I would never call someone an apologist for liking what I don't.

RNRR
ToT
Beauty and the Beast
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy
Frozen Sing a Long
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction)
Disney Jr. meet and greets
Disney Jr. Dance Party
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Meet Mike and Sully
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Saucers
TSMM
Meet Toy Story characters
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies)
Muppets

Assuming you spent 30 minutes at each one, that's an 9 hour day
Add in Fantasmic, the Star Wars stage shows, meal breaks, longer lines, shopping, bathroom breaks, I do not see how this is a 1/2 day park, unless you are just intentionally skipping half of the park
As noted...mostly meet and greets,or some toddler fare. Even with the newer Toy STory rides(saucers....ummm maybe not worth waiting for?) it's 5-6 rides,whether they're great rides is debatable to each person. When we visited last year, we found it to be a 1/2 day park also. Not much of the previous atmosphere left to soak in, not much in the way of great new atmosphere to soak in...just a few rides and then we left.

I went a couple years ago. And yes there wasn't that much there. I did all the Star Wars Stuff and then I left. However, It was a park that was changing. With the Addition of Toy Story Land and Galaxy Edge, it will be a more substantial park. I hope they continue to improve it. Disney is at it's best is when they aren't resting on their Laurels.

Our family doesn't do the toddler rides and we find it hard to do a full day there. We there there a couple weeks ago and saw a lot of the stores on main street closed. I get that the app says everything is up and running, but that's because many of the previous attractions we enjoyed are gone forever. Studio Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride, Magic of Disney Annimation, and Lights, Motor, Action. Plus, some of the shows are so old, we find them hard to enjoy. There are no suprises at Indy Jones.
For us, there are a handful of rides, RRC, TT, and TSM. Slinky Dog is OK, but falls somewhere between Barnstormer and BTM.

As noted...mostly meet and greets,or some toddler fare. Even with the newer Toy STory rides(saucers....ummm maybe not worth waiting for?) it's 5-6 rides,whether they're great rides is debatable to each person. When we visited last year, we found it to be a 1/2 day park also. Not much of the previous atmosphere left to soak in, not much in the way of great new atmosphere to soak in...just a few rides and then we left.
12 of those things are not toddler fare or meet and greets. And only 3 I would say are toddler fare. Just because you don't find them interesting doesn't mean they're toddler rides.

12 of those things are not toddler fare or meet and greets. And only 3 I would say are toddler fare. Just because you don't find them interesting doesn't mean they're toddler rides.
That list that someone posted a few posts back,about 2007-2019 differences?I'm one of those who heartily prefers the older version of the park. I know it may be just opinion, but it's mine. There is no discernible atmosphere currently in this park making it special. There used to be. There might be again in the future. When the streetmosphere characters began to be thinned out,and stuff started closing....this park lost it's luster overall for me. I consider it a few rides and then out. I'm sad to hear ToT is under construction, it's still a gem as far as I'm concerned and I hope they don't change it. Honestly our last visit was approx. 10-3.

That list that someone posted a few posts back,about 2007-2019 differences?I'm one of those who heartily prefers the older version of the park. I know it may be just opinion, but it's mine. There is no discernible atmosphere currently in this park making it special. There used to be. There might be again in the future. When the streetmosphere characters began to be thinned out,and stuff started closing....this park lost it's luster overall for me. I consider it a few rides and then out. I'm sad to hear ToT is under construction, it's still a gem as far as I'm concerned and I hope they don't change it. Honestly our last visit was approx. 10-3.
No, it was a list that mentioned it being a 9 hour day. I was just calling out the fact that there aren't that many toddler rides, even though people keep saying there are. That's my real complaint with this topic; a lot of people are generalizing that the rides are for toddlers or everything is a show, simply because they don't like it. It's factually wrong.

It's just their perception of the park. They perceive it as catering more to younger guests. None of us need to agree. And we don't need to defend liking the park or defend the park itself. It's fine for someone else to perceive the park as being mostly for little kids. Others don't see it that way at all, and that's okay too. :)

But sometimes we perceive something one way even if, when stacking up the "facts" of the situation, our perception seems illogical to others. It's a bit like when people are afraid of something and you hit them with statistics to try to prove that there's no reason to be afraid of it. But after all of your work, they're still afraid. :)

Our family doesn't do the toddler rides and we find it hard to do a full day there. We there there a couple weeks ago and saw a lot of the stores on main street closed. I get that the app says everything is up and running, but that's because many of the previous attractions we enjoyed are gone forever. Studio Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride, Magic of Disney Annimation, and Lights, Motor, Action. Plus, some of the shows are so old, we find them hard to enjoy. There are no suprises at Indy Jones.
For us, there are a handful of rides, RRC, TT, and TSM. Slinky Dog is OK, but falls somewhere between Barnstormer and BTM.

There is one, count it ONE, ride at HS that could be considered primarily for toddlers, Alien Swirling Saucers. And, honestly, even rides like that can be full of surprises.

On Thanksgiving Day last year, we rope dropped HS. We had done TSM on a previous day with a FP, and had a Slinky FP scheduled for later. So, at rope drop, we decided to do Alien Swirling Saucers. My kids were 14 and 12 at the time. My 12 year old daughter rode with my wife. I rode with my football player sized 14 year old son. An old guy and a large teenage boy aren't going to enjoy the Saucers....right? Wrong!. We totally over-exaggerated every whip and spent the entire ride trying to intentionally squish the other as hard as we could. We laughed hysterically through the whole thing. That ride will be one of the top 2-3 memories I have for the whole trip. And it turned out that way because we gave it a chance and did not let perception tell us how we should feel about the ride.

I agree with OP. It's a half day park for us even with TSL open. I really dislike the dance parties (seems like a cheap 'attraction' and they've often been poorly attended when we've passed by them). We don't do Meet & Greets - lots of time spent standing in lines - unless we have star struck kids with us who really want to do it. Shows have been the same for years so no great appeal there. SDD FP was a no go when we tried for it, same for the Alien Swirling Saucers. And, the food choices at this park are 'meh' (we miss Starring Rolls, Writers Stop...). So we do a few things, look around and say, 'On to another park!'
Maybe GE will help extend our stay next year.

I agree. We usually do one morning at DHS to get the rides in (and spend some time at the Brown Derby Lounge) and one evening to get in the nighttime shows. All in all, less than a full day over a 9 day trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter