A Canadian Deal ? An international Down turn ?

Disney will do what they always do, offer discounts when they have to and not before. Most likely they would be in the form of reduced resort pricing or free dining. The stuff that encourages people to stay longer.

One of the reasons the UK gets offered deals is because people in the UK are far more likely to be able to stay for a 3 week trip because of the vacation days they get. And a three week stay is worth a fortune to Disney which easily justifies throwing in a free dining package.

Great point on the vacation time, though Canadians also typically get much more vacation than the US counterparts ...

Great point on the vacation time, though Canadians also typically get much more vacation than the US counterparts ...

Yeah, by law here, everyone gets 2 weeks paid vacation, then after 5-8 years (NFLD requires 15 years) with the same company, it's increased 3 weeks. After that, it's up to the company if they want to offer more. Now, it is up to the company whether the vacation time is paid weekly directly into their paycheck (the onus is then on the employee to set it aside) or whether they pay for vacation time when they take it. And of course all federal holidays are paid as well, on top of your vacation pay.

I was shocked to learn that the US doesn't mandate paid vacation time, or federal holidays. In fact they're the only (highly) developed country in the world that doesn't. That said, we all know they're seriously lagging behind the times in regards to sick leave, maternity leave etc... so I guess why not vacation pay, too?

Oh wow, there isnt paid vacation?? Over here we get 30 days of paid vacation and can split it.

Yeah, by law here, everyone gets 2 weeks paid vacation, then after 5-8 years (NFLD requires 15 years) with the same company, it's increased 3 weeks. After that, it's up to the company if they want to offer more. Now, it is up to the company whether the vacation time is paid weekly directly into their paycheck (the onus is then on the employee to set it aside) or whether they pay for vacation time when they take it. And of course all federal holidays are paid as well, on top of your vacation pay.

I was shocked to learn that the US doesn't mandate paid vacation time, or federal holidays. In fact they're the only (highly) developed country in the world that doesn't. That said, we all know they're seriously lagging behind the times in regards to sick leave, maternity leave etc... so I guess why not vacation pay, too?

The US is incredibly "employer friendly" often to the extend of being employee unfriendly. Most companies will offer some paid vacation, though retail tends to be much worse about that.

If you compare the amount though it is noticeably less than Canada, the UK and particularly Europe. Don't get me started on the ridiculous notion that people should use short term disability leave (basically 60% pay) for maternity...

They actually DID to it in the past, and still do it today. UK folks for instance get Free Dining just about all year, they also get 14 and 21 day tickets, and serious discounts. Last time the Canadian dollar was so low they offered Canadian Dollar at par "discount". Currently they still tailor deals to people from Canada, the UK, the EU, and South America, different deals for different regions. Basically the premise of what you wrote is completely incorrect.
Couldn't an America buy "foriegn" tickets on the internet, and just pay the postage to have them mailed to their home?

Oh wow, there isnt paid vacation?? Over here we get 30 days of paid vacation and can split it.

After 20 years with the same company I now get 25 days (or in my case 200 hours) of paid vacation. I have heard that next year we are going to be allowed to buy another week of vacation. What I really want to do is SELL a week of vacation for Christmas presents but it doesn't seem like that is ever going to be an option.

If WDW is filling hotels and parks domestically with little to no discounts, why would they offer lower paying international guests in their place? I understand the repeat guest argument but Iger and his bunch are in it for the now. They dont think in years. They think in quarters.

If WDW is filling hotels and parks domestically with little to no discounts, why would they offer lower paying international guests in their place? I understand the repeat guest argument but Iger and his bunch are in it for the now. They dont think in years. They think in quarters.

But are they still filling the rooms and parks?

Also remember that many international visitors may have booked 12 or more months in advance, so only this very latest quarter will begin to show the result of the pound crashing last summer on uk visitor numbers really.

Couldn't an America buy "foriegn" tickets on the internet, and just pay the postage to have them mailed to their home?

I don't think so. Often with the U.K. Tickets you have to show proof of residency - same with the Canadian ticket deals they've done in the past.

Now at Disneyland Paris, you can book from any international website. The US version has horrible deals. You will get different prices and promo offers from the U.K., German, Dutch, Irish, and French sites. With a little google translate, you can score a decent deal there since they don't enforce residency requirements on offers like Disney World does for international visitors.

I know the most recent Canadian deal required you to show a Canadian passport or residency card to pick up and/or activate the tickets (they would only mail a voucher).

there is more disposable income in the system than there has been in a decade,

For what its worth, in my area and my career field (IT) there hasn't been a whole lot of recovery. Salaries are down and good jobs are still scarce.

For my family and I, we are still doing worse than we were 10 years ago. Our disposable income has pretty much ceased to exist.

Seeing as we come such a long way, free dining+memory maker+gift card does sweeten the deal...

Our exchange rate from pounds to dollars has been poor too lately, pushing our final prices up as well.

I don't think so. Often with the U.K. Tickets you have to show proof of residency - same with the Canadian ticket deals they've done in the past.

Now at Disneyland Paris, you can book from any international website. The US version has horrible deals. You will get different prices and promo offers from the U.K., German, Dutch, Irish, and French sites. With a little google translate, you can score a decent deal there since they don't enforce residency requirements on offers like Disney World does for international visitors.
Do you mean the ticket sellers enforce the residency requirements or DW themselves enforce them if you show up with the tickets?

I know the most recent Canadian deal required you to show a Canadian passport or residency card to pick up and/or activate the tickets (they would only mail a voucher).
You had to show it to Disney or the ticket selller? Once you show up at the gate with tickets in hand but no foriegn passport is there really any chance Disney would not let you use them?

But are they still filling the rooms and parks?

Also remember that many international visitors may have booked 12 or more months in advance, so only this very latest quarter will begin to show the result of the pound crashing last summer on uk visitor numbers really.

Not much availability for rooms so I would say so.

Do you mean the ticket sellers enforce the residency requirements or DW themselves enforce them if you show up with the tickets?

You had to show it to Disney or the ticket selller? Once you show up at the gate with tickets in hand but no foriegn passport is there really any chance Disney would not let you use them?

The Canadian discounted tickets advertised recently could only be purchased through Disney, and they gave you a voucher that had to be redeemed at the parks, not actual tickets. (You could link it in MDE for FP+.) Then, before you used the tickets for the first time you had to show proof of residency. The deal reminded me a lot of the types of deals Florida residents can get, where they have to show pretty strictly-controlled types of proof that they meet the requirements. And, yes, I heard stories of people buying the Canadian tickets and then having to pay the price difference on arrival when they didn't have a Canadian passport to show.

That's a specific recent deal, though. Normally, we don't get special pricing on tickets, we have to pay the US pricing. No idea what would happen if non-UK people tried to buy their special UK-only tickets. That's one of the few areas I can think of that has special pricing and ticket options as a regular thing.

Yep, absolutely. We bought the Canadian tickets for Disneyland and had to show passports for all of us at the entry, including our kid. They said they had been told to be absolutely 100% firm on this.

The Canadian discounted tickets advertised recently could only be purchased through Disney, and they gave you a voucher that had to be redeemed at the parks, not actual tickets. (You could link it in MDE for FP+.) Then, before you used the tickets for the first time you had to show proof of residency. The deal reminded me a lot of the types of deals Florida residents can get, where they have to show pretty strictly-controlled types of proof that they meet the requirements. And, yes, I heard stories of people buying the Canadian tickets and then having to pay the price difference on arrival when they didn't have a Canadian passport to show.

That's a specific recent deal, though. Normally, we don't get special pricing on tickets, we have to pay the US pricing. No idea what would happen if non-UK people tried to buy their special UK-only tickets. That's one of the few areas I can think of that has special pricing and ticket options as a regular thing.

Pretty sure UK tickets u don't have to show proof of residency. Now to book a package u better have a UK mailing address. I just used a UK package this year because I was travelling with my brother from the UK. At first, the travel agency said they couldn't sell to me in Canada. I told them about my brother and they put him as the lead guest and he received them mail. After that we could pay with whatever credit card from any country in the world.

I would argue that WDI is starting to see falling bookings for early 2018 (hurricane reschedulings aside). Disney Visa Cardholders got an offer this week on room discount that not only increased the typical room discount 5%, but also offered availability and discounts at resorts that don't typically see them.

On top of that, I got a personalized pin code offer for a similar time frame, but not as nice discounts.

I would have to think that if they're offering promotions like that they aren't currently at capacity and doing what they can to entice return travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter