A Cancellation, A Proposal and A Lot of Food - Marathon Weekend 2017 COMPLETE!

You're off to a great start. I mainly clicked on your report because of the word PROPOSAL, not even gonna lie. :lovestruc I'm a sucker for a proposal, especially when Disney is involved. I can't wait to hear more.

Joining! Congratulations on your engagement! Can't wait to read more about that and the marathon!

Thank you for joining me on my trip report of our latest journey to the Most Magical Place on Earth (our trip to the Happiest Place on Earth is coming up next week - I'm not even joking).

What?!?!? Already?? Nice!!

I am 29 years old

Don't think so. No way you could be 29. Unless that picture is of a younger sibling?

My partner on all Disney trips is Luke. He is 34, almost 35, and loves Dole Whips,

You had me at Dole Whip. I like him already.

That's right, this trip report includes a proposal (in case you didn't figure that out from the title).

What?!?!?!? No! TR ruined!!

I love our little fur family!

:goodvibes

but 7??? holy crap! (literally)

Luke was scheduled to run the half (which we all know by now ended up being cancelled)

Yup.

I can also get a little long-winded sometimes, so please bear with me!

What?!?!? I cannot stand long winded TR writers!

Wait... um................ :blush:

Go right ahead and talk as much as you'd like, dear.

(remember, these are in celsius since I'm Canadian!)

So... normal. Check.

Cute pups.

Their three year old daughter figured she should just come with us on our trip, and climbed into my suitcase haha:

Ha ha ha!.... move over kid.

Another perk to the valet parking we used is that it's owned by WestJet - the airline we were flying to Orlando with. Inside the main building of the valet parking, they actually have a gate agent so we were able to check in, get our boarding passes and check our bags there

Nice.

He scanned our boarding passes, and an actual picture of our suitcases appeared on the screen

::yes:: Have that here.

I was able to sleep a bit on the plane

Lucky.

. We got onto the Fake-O-Rail and enjoyed our first view of the Florida sunshine

isn't that the best?

So our first stop after getting off the fake-o-rail was baggage claim. It's not the end of the world, but it's one of my favourite parts of using DME.

Actually... I kinda like getting my bag... no worrying about when it will show up.

Of course, one of our suitcases was one of the first ones to appear on the baggage carousel,

Yay!

and the other bag was one of the very last ones...

oh

Pretty soon, we saw this glorious thing:

clouds. Yep. Cool.

January 3, 2017 - Arrival at Disney!

As soon as the bus dropped us off at Hospiltality House at Old Key West, we headed in to check-in. As Canadians, we can't by-pass this step as Disney is unable to mail Magicbands outside the country. Check-in was extremely easy, we didn't even need to wait in line (there was no line!). The cast member helping us was named Caleb I think? Carter maybe? It definitely started with a C, and he was very friendly! I feel bad for him, Luke and I hadn't ate in hours by this point (and hadn't ate much all day to be honest), and we were getting nervous we'd miss the ADR we had booked for tonight, so we were a little snappy with each other. I swear, we rarely, if ever, fight, but we were both more than a little hangry haha. We were both friendly to Caleb/Carter though - we're not that type of people! He could clearly tell we were a little stressed out, so after giving us a map of the resort, our room number and our magicbands (purple for me, yellow for Luke), he helped us out by carrying some of our luggage to bell services. It was really appreciated! We actually stopped by the check-in area a few times over the next few days, hoping to see him working so we could apologize for how short we were being with each other, but he was never there :(

Once we arrived at bell services, we asked about our Garden Grocer order. One of the cast members got our names, and was back out with our order almost immediately. He then told us to follow him to one of the golf carts, loaded our groceries and luggage in and then drove us directly to our room! So awesome! I joked to Luke that we were on our first ride of the trip, he was taking some of the corners pretty quick in that golf cart and I thought I might fall out a few times haha. He helped us carry everything inside, and we tipped him and thanked him. We didn't even have time to check out our room, we had to get moving! I grabbed my Dooney & Bourke Haunted Mansion purse I had treated myself to a few months back, and we headed out to the bus stop. We ended up being extremely lucky - we ended up with a room on the first floor in building 35, and the Turtle Pond bus stop was just across the road. It took us less than a minute to get there each day :) This was already a huge improvement over the All-Stars!

We didn't wait long before a bus to Disney Springs pulled up - I think we waited maybe 5 minutes? We were both a little nervous as we sat on the bus - we were both really looking forward to our ADR, but we weren't sure if we were going to make it on time! Luckily, Turtle Pond was one of the last stops on the Old Key West bus loop, so we were exiting the resort very quickly after a brief stop at Hospitality House. I knew OKW was close to the Springs, but I had no idea just how close! In less than 10 minutes, we were getting off the bus at the newly designed Disney Springs :) Of course, as soon as we stepped off the bus, we realized we had no idea where to go or how to get to our ADR...thank goodness for the MDE App!

We set off walking, and within a few minutes we saw this beautiful sign:

As I walked up to the check-in booth, I checked on the time - we were still 5 minutes early for our reservation! Go us! All that worrying for nothing :)

The actual review of the food will be over in my dining report - but just know we LOVED it. :love:

After eating, we decided to check out the Springs. When you first get off the bus, it definitely has an outdoor mall feel to it, but it's still very nice. There's so many new stores and restaurants since we were there in January 2016 as well!

We ended up at Uniqlo for quite awhile. There were so many great clothes to look at, and everything was reasonably priced! I told Luke I would buy him a present, and to pick out any shirt he wanted. He couldn't decide between two of them, so I just bought both of them for him. They were just under $15 each - not bad at all! I also bought myself two new shirts there, but I can't find a picture of one of them online (and it's currently packed into my suitcase for our Disneyland trip that starts tomorrow, so I'll have to come back and post the picture of that one).

Friend.PNG Green aliens.PNG Snow White.PNG
I wish Uniqlo would ship to Canada, there were so many things I wanted from there! The only stores in Canada are in Toronto, which is quite far from where I live. Oh well, now I know to save extra money for Uniqlo shopping next January when we go back to Florida!

We stopped and purchased a FuelRod for our trip from the photo store - that was $30 well spent! I know when these were introduced last year, there was a lot of complaints about it, that you can buy phone chargers much cheaper than that. For us, we were immediately sold on the fact that you can exchange it for fresh ones as many times as you'd like from a simple vending machine type thing located inside the parks. If we didn't drain it during the day, we would take it back and charge it in our room at night, but it was so convenient! The day we got engaged, I believe we swapped it out for fully charged FuelRods at least twice (so many people to call/text to let them know because we were so excited!). We only required one, and just shared it as needed. We brought it home with us, and have it fully charged for our Disneyland trip as well.

I knew I wanted a few new Christmas ornaments - one with the year on it and and for each resort we would be staying at. I decided to get this done on our first night, since we were already in Disney Springs.

2017ornament.PNG OKWornament.PNG SSRornament.PNG
Sorry those pictures are all different sizes, I just took them from Google searches. The actual ornaments I bought are wrapped in tissue paper and put away with all of my other Christmas decorations. The 2017 ornament is awesome, it lights up and has the tree and the TOT on the back of the ears (so all 4 parks are represented).

After paying for our ornaments, we decided to head back to Old Key West and call it a night.

Up next: runDisney Expo and the first park of the trip!

You're off to a great start. I mainly clicked on your report because of the word PROPOSAL, not even gonna lie. :lovestruc I'm a sucker for a proposal, especially when Disney is involved. I can't wait to hear more.

Thanks for joining!

Joining! Congratulations on your engagement! Can't wait to read more about that and the marathon!

Thanks for joining! The Race Expo will be covered in my next update!

Following along on this one. We leave for WDW in 9 days ourselves! Can't wait!

Have fun! Which resort are you staying at?

What?!?!? Already?? Nice!!

We leave tomorrow for Disneyland! I haven't packed, I need to stop at 4 million places on my way home from work...but I know it'll all be worth it once I get off that plane :)

Don't think so. No way you could be 29. Unless that picture is of a younger sibling?

Haha, as I creep closer to 30 it makes me so happy when I'm asked for ID.

You had me at Dole Whip. I like him already.

Spoiler alert: He had a few on this trip. I think 4? Maybe 5?

What?!?!?!? No! TR ruined!!

Sorry, I like to spoil surprises.

:goodvibes

but 7??? holy crap! (literally)

We take pride in only having one bag of garbage per week (most of our neighbours have 2-4), and at least half of our garbage every week is literal crap. Between poop bags from the dog's walks, the 4 litter boxes we have in the house and the 7 rodents, it adds up...

What?!?!? I cannot stand long winded TR writers!

Wait... um................ :blush:

Go right ahead and talk as much as you'd like, dear.

I blame it on the Maritimer in me.

Cute pups.

Thanks! We kind of like them...

Ha ha ha!.... move over kid.

I'm sure you would fit in that suitcase as well!

::yes:: Have that here.

So I guess I should stat trying to book connecting flights through Winnipeg?

isn't that the best?

Such a great feeling! You know you're so close to Disney at that point!

Actually... I kinda like getting my bag... no worrying about when it will show up.

This makes sense. It actually didn't turn into an inconvenience at all. When we did use the yellow tags on our first trip, it seemed to take FOREVER before our bags got to our room...[/QUOTE]

Hangry is definitely a big problem ... I'm glad you guys finally got some food in you!

I love the Uniqlo shirts - they're so cute! I've seen some of the stuff they have on the website and its super cute ... I keep meaning to stop in and see if they have the same stuff in-store (and I actually passed by a Uniqlo store today ... but I didn't have time to go in and look)

Those Christmas ornaments are beautiful - great choices!

We live just outside of Fredericton. I am interested to know what you thought of the points rental. Might be a nice change for our next trip.

Another NBer here - small world!

I've enjoyed reading your reports in the past and am looking forward to this one too!

Luke and I hadn't ate in hours by this point (and hadn't ate much all day to be honest), and we were getting nervous we'd miss the ADR we had booked for tonight, so we were a little snappy with each other.

No shame in that being hungry and afraid of being late for an ADR is definitely one thing that makes me a little snappy too :rotfl:

I'm currently in Disneyland, if you'd like to follow along on Instagram I'm fallonkendra there as well!

I'll continue updating this trip report next week once I'm home!

And I found it! Great to be along for another trip report.

any kitchen items that are Disney related
I can relate. I have a Mickey Mouse apron that I wear. Well, my wife borrows it a lot, but it really is mine!

(remember, these are in celsius since I'm Canadian!)
Is there any other way? :)

(like I've always had to do when I go through Toronto).
I head they have the same kind of system in Toronto now too. I've never done it there. The only time I experienced that was our last trip in 2015 we went through Montreal and it was the same as your experience in Calgary. I really is so much better.

Luke watched the newest X-Men movie (his review was: meh?!).
About the same as mine. I've tried watching it three times. I've fallen asleep every time. I have no idea what the movie was about. And I did enjoy all the previous ones.

Once we arrived at bell services, we asked about our Garden Grocer order.
I've never tried Garden Grocer but I have read about it a bunch of times in these trip reports. Maybe something to try.

We ended up at Uniqlo for quite awhile. There were so many great clothes to look at, and everything was reasonably priced!
I have never been to Uniglo but have heard they have some interesting things and not bad prices.

I'm already following you on Instagram (I love that you went to Trader Sam's for Luke's birthday!), so now I'm going to go stalk Luke on instagram...

Hangry is definitely a big problem ... I'm glad you guys finally got some food in you!

We were also really tired - not a great combination! Luckily once we did eat, the food was amazing!

I love the Uniqlo shirts - they're so cute! I've seen some of the stuff they have on the website and its super cute ... I keep meaning to stop in and see if they have the same stuff in-store (and I actually passed by a Uniqlo store today ... but I didn't have time to go in and look)

I could have spent so much money there! I limited ourselves to two shirt each, which was probably the right thing to do haha. Make sure you check it out sometime!

Those Christmas ornaments are beautiful - great choices!

Thanks! My Disney tree will be much fuller next year!

Another NBer here - small world!

Which part are you from? I didn't move full-time to Alberta until I was 22, all the time before that was spent in NB :)

I've enjoyed reading your reports in the past and am looking forward to this one too!

Thanks for reading!

No shame in that being hungry and afraid of being late for an ADR is definitely one thing that makes me a little snappy too :rotfl:

Glad I'm not the only one!

And I found it! Great to be along for another trip report.

Glad to have you here!

I can relate. I have a Mickey Mouse apron that I wear. Well, my wife borrows it a lot, but it really is mine!

I have a Minnie Mouse one, but I never cook haha.

I head they have the same kind of system in Toronto now too. I've never done it there. The only time I experienced that was our last trip in 2015 we went through Montreal and it was the same as your experience in Calgary. I really is so much better.

If Toronto is using that system now, maybe I'll actually look at connecting flights through there... I've only used the Toronto airport for domestic connections over the past few years - I always found that if you were connecting to a US flight you had to walk FOREVER while lugging all of your stuff.

About the same as mine. I've tried watching it three times. I've fallen asleep every time. I have no idea what the movie was about. And I did enjoy all the previous ones.

I loved all the previous movies, but for some reason I had zero interest in watching that one.

I've never tried Garden Grocer but I have read about it a bunch of times in these trip reports. Maybe something to try.

I really enjoyed using it! We were able to buy a case of 32 bottles of water for $9.99 - we knew we'd drink it, and it saved a lot of money off buying bottles in the park. Plus we had beer delivered, and the prices are fruit are cheaper than buying from Disney. We will be using it again for sure!

I have never been to Uniglo but have heard they have some interesting things and not bad prices.

I was really impressed!

I'm already following you on Instagram (I love that you went to Trader Sam's for Luke's birthday!), so now I'm going to go stalk Luke on instagram...

Haha, Luke got a few followers from me posting his Instagram, and he kept asking me if I knew the people that had just added him. He was excited to have more followers haha.

Sorry! Falling behind everywhere.

As Canadians, we can't by-pass this step as Disney is unable to mail Magicbands outside the country.

Totally unacceptable practice, don't you think?

The cast member helping us was named Caleb I think? Carter maybe? It definitely started with a C,

Chuck.

I swear, we rarely, if ever, fight, but we were both more than a little hangry haha.

OMG! So... human?

We actually stopped by the check-in area a few times over the next few days, hoping to see him working so we could apologize for how short we were being with each other, but he was never there :(

No worries. He has your names and hates you all. No biggie.

He then told us to follow him to one of the golf carts, loaded our groceries and luggage in and then drove us directly to our room

Nice!

We set off walking, and within a few minutes we saw this beautiful sign:

Never even heard of it! Obviously new.

The actual review of the food will be over in my dining report - but just know we LOVED it. :love:

Good! Glad you liked it.

They were just under $15 each - not bad at all!

So... just under $400 CDN, then. Not bad.

We stopped and purchased a FuelRod for our trip from the photo store - that was $30 well spent! I know when these were introduced last year, there was a lot of complaints about it, that you can buy phone chargers much cheaper than that. For us, we were immediately sold on the fact that you can exchange it for fresh ones as many times as you'd like from a simple vending machine type thing located inside the parks. If we didn't drain it during the day, we would take it back and charge it in our room at night, but it was so convenient! The day we got engaged, I believe we swapped it out for fully charged FuelRods at least twice (so many people to call/text to let them know because we were so excited!). We only required one, and just shared it as needed. We brought it home with us, and have it fully charged for our Disneyland trip as well.

Never heard of those either! What a great idea!

Spoiler alert: He had a few on this trip. I think 4? Maybe 5?

Oh! I didn't realize you only went for one day.

Between poop bags from the dog's walks, the 4 litter boxes we have in the house and the 7 rodents, it adds up...

No kidding!

I'm sure you would fit in that suitcase as well!

Well... since you're coming to Winnipeg now...

So I guess I should stat trying to book connecting flights through Winnipeg?

::yes:: So I can fit in your suitcase!

Joining in, I just read your last TR and PTR! Wow! a Disney proposal can't wait to read all about it!

Sorry! Falling behind everywhere.

Unacceptable.

Totally unacceptable practice, don't you think?

It can't cost that much to ship them to Canada...

That sounds right. Or maybe it was Charles?

OMG! So... human?

Haha, I guess that's true.

No worries. He has your names and hates you all. No biggie.

That's what I assumed.

It was unexpected, but totally awesome!

Never even heard of it! Obviously new.

You must check it out on your next trip!

Good! Glad you liked it.

Seriously, it was amazing.

So... just under $400 CDN, then. Not bad.

*pulls out calculator* $387.48 actually.

Never heard of those either! What a great idea!

It was great! We used it on our Disneyland trip as well, and I saw the vending machines in the Orlando airport and the Minneapolis airport as well.

::yes:: So I can fit in your suitcase!

I'll let you know once we book our flights for our next trip, so you can be at the airport ready to jump in my suitcase.

Joining in, I just read your last TR and PTR! Wow! a Disney proposal can't wait to read all about it!

Thanks for reading!

Reading along! Can't wait to hear about the proposal :love:

Thanks for joining in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter