• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Dad and His Two Ladies Trip Report. LIVE UPDATES!

DisneyKentucky

DIS Veteran
Well, you didn't listen.

Greetings from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I have no clue how these work but, I'll jump right into the nuts and bolts.

Cast of Characters:

Unlike most of these I've read I am the father (seems not enough Dads are posting here or maybe I need to search more) of a great 4 year old Daughter named Sarah:
542822_4278579455694_1343892995_n.jpg
We were stoked she was chosen as "The Beast" this past year. She got air for her "Roar" at Belle (3 in that photo).

My DW and I this November will be kicking off our 3rd straight Disney Christmas time visit. The last two years we go right before December but moved it up this year. We've been with DD 2 other times so this will be DD 5th trip in 4 years (and we'll be back again in Jan. 2014 for Marathon weekend).

Oh, BTW.... this is a couple of "family photos" from this past Christmas trips:

884320_4278601936256_1565863057_o.jpg

Can't ever get them to ride with me:
578550_4278613176537_2061133140_n.jpg

Time Period:

We plan on arriving November 1st (hoping that MNSSHP has one more day left) and leave the 16th. So, we should have time to hit Food and Wine and the beginning of MVMCP. As I mentioned in the title "running" we've found our run bug again and after 8 years of running to the fridge I started running between 8 and 10 miles a day. So, we'll also be running the Jingle Jungle 5K on the 9th (daughter will be strollering it) and then head over to the kids run after. Wanted to do the half marathon but, we'll be back in January for that Half Marathon.

We are right now deciding between a week at Port Orleans and One at our RCI resort or both weeks at the RCI resort (as we will be on property in January).

Food:
Well, obviously no reservations yet. FWIW, we have an adventurous eater for a DD so we like to try some newish things. We'll probably pig ourselves at Food and Wine and I'd love to try some resort TS restaurants. We've only been able to try Kona Breakfast, O'hana Dinner, 1900 Park Fare character breakfast, Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast, Liberty Tree Lunch, Via Napoli Dinner, 50's Prime Time Lunch, Hollywood and Vine character Lunch, Be Our Guest Dinner and Mama Melrose Lunch for TS Reservations. We've never *GASP* set foot into Animal Kingdom so everything is new there.

Itinerary:
Basically we've got the run and we've got check in and check out dates planned. This will form the closer we get and the more suggestions you give. We will ride more rides this time as DD is now 44 inches as opposed to 41 our last trip.

*Oh, just remembered. I plan on boring my family with "Behind the Seeds" at Epcot.

My Plea to You:

Give me great Food and Wine suggestions, running tips, any restaurant advice, fashion tips, words of encouragement to keep running (although I've lost 25 lbs in 5 weeks that should be enough) and general discussion and tips. I am all ears. Even on choosing between 2 weeks at the off site place or half and half. It's about a grand cheaper two weeks off property. I know my Little one is packed and ready to go:
419743_4041436687273_1857267471_n.jpg

Made my first mistake last night. I signed us up for the Jingle Jungle 5K run (DW and myself) and then for DD to do kids run. I should have recognized that there wasn't a "Stroller Division separate fee" when I filled it out. So, one of us has to cheer the other since we can "roll the 5K." Kind of a bummer but totally my fault for not being up to speed they changed it from last year.

Hopefully this is the only snag on plans.

I have been BAILED OUT! Friends of ours are coming in for the Wine and Dine to run and can watch our daughter during the 5K.

We also have booked the MVMCP for Tuesday the 9th of November. We opted to not go to MNSSHP. Also, looking at our planned trips we've opted to buy an annual pass since we stay off property and the savings on parking and the usage of Park Hopper made it the cheaper expense. Which means, DW and I can plan more Disney trips this year.

Now for this planning I already have a hit list of where we will eat, let's see if I can hit it (already planned but not booked on and off property):

Fantasmic Mama Melrose (We fell in love the first time, hope it remains up to par)
Cinderella's Royal Table Breakfast (We always start each trip with this)
Yachtsman (Never eaten here)
Jack's BBQ (Off Property a buddy used to work there as a kid and said we should try)
The Ravenous Pig (Off Property and have been told by multiple chefs it's a must)
Cookes of Dublin or Earl (I just like it better than Ragland)
Beach Pool Bar and Grill Wyndham (Where we stay the first week and saw the review on DFB) http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/...ton-bonnet-creek-resort-in-walt-disney-world/
Yellow Dog Eat (Off Property)
Ohana Dinner (not sure if I'll keep)
Beaches and Cream (Never eaten here)
Whispering Canyon Breakfast (Never eaten here)
Via Napoli
Yak & Yeti (Never eaten here)

Any other suggestions for a foodies with a daughter that is semi-adventurous?

First of my 180!

First Day, Magic Kingdom:
Cinderella's Royal Table (Booked)
O'hana (Booked)
Be Our Guest (Booked)

We'll cancel BOG if I can book it another night since I got a 9pm.

Here we go my final list (not sure anyone's following but at least if I lose the plan I can consult the DIS). We've also decided with 3 to 3.5 weeks in Disney for Nov/Jan we will buy AP and TiW:

Nov. 1st Friday- We arrive and will attend the MNSSHP

Nov. 2nd Saturday- Royal Table 10:15 Bumped this back since we are at the party the night before), Be Our Guests 9:00pm

Nov. 3rd Sunday- Hacienda de San Angel Dinner 8:30pm for Illuminations (enjoying Food & Wine)

Nov. 4th Mon- Fantasmic Mama Melrose 12:30

Nov. 5th Tues- Yak and Yeti Dinner 4:45

Nov. 6th Wed- My wife said we need a "rest day." This was my idea of "rest" in Orlando: BoardWalk Ballyhoo Guided Tour at 9:00 Lunch at Ravenous Pig Lunch, got to Themepark Connections store and then 4rivers for dinner.

Nov. 7th Thur- Whispering Canyon 9:30, Via Napoli 4:30. Not sure if we will hit Animal Kingdom or go resort touring. We will hit the Race expo to pick up stuff.

Nov. 8th Fri- Beaches and Cream for Lunch, Flying Fish 7:30pm (Epcot day)

Nov. 9th Sat-Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K is first up (friends watching our daughter). Then Kids Race and later that night our friends run the Wine and Dine. We'll probably play around at Festival of the Masters.

Nov. 10th Sun- Cask and Larder for Brunch! We'll then come back and enjoy food and wine and shuffle our feet around Epcot.

Nov. 11th Mon- It's Veterans day, so we have to see the flag ceremony at Magic Kingdom. It's also where we will be at for the Christmas Party!

Nov. 12th Tue- Brown Derby Lunch 1:10 (Hollywood Studios Day)

Nov. 13th Wed- Kona Breakfast 8:50/ Yachtsman Steakhouse 7:35 (Side Note, we had AWFUL service at Kona last time. This is to try to redeem it)

Nov. 14th Thur- Crystal Palace 8:25 and Ragland Road 7:45. (Magic Kingdom Day will be the last day)

Head home and continue training for the Half Marathon in January!

Oh, also forgot. We are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort one week and Sheraton Vistana Resort-Fountains Villas. I know, I'm off property this trip.

First of all, absolutely MELTED at the picture of your daughter as the Beast. She is too adorable!!

It is awesome that you get to do two parties! We are doing the Christmas party on Dec. 1. I did it when I was two but obviously do not remember much so it'll be exciting!

We stay off property more than we stay on property. We just like having more space and find we can get a suite off property for less than a single room on property. I do love the magic of Disney resorts but a lot of the time it's just more practical so I feel ya!

First of all, absolutely MELTED at the picture of your daughter as the Beast. She is too adorable!!

It is awesome that you get to do two parties! We are doing the Christmas party on Dec. 1. I did it when I was two but obviously do not remember much so it'll be exciting!

We stay off property more than we stay on property. We just like having more space and find we can get a suite off property for less than a single room on property. I do love the magic of Disney resorts but a lot of the time it's just more practical so I feel ya!

Yeah. For what I pay to be 4 miles away in a resort that gives me a kitchen and 2 rooms I would get a budget resort small room. Now, I will stay at AOA in January for a few days.

FINAL UPDATE! We decided to leave early and head down to be in Orlando for Halloween night. We'll most likely crash at the hotel but, there will be an attempt to be at Downtown Disney for the evening.

Oct. 31st Thursday- Arrive at Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista. The plan is to either on this day or Friday eat at Tijuana Flats since Kevin from DisUnplugged suggested it. May do some resort hopping just to take in the Halloween day.

Nov. 1st Friday- Día de Muertos day, wake up late. Head to parks to pick up annual pass. Check into our resort Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Get changed and head to the final day of MNSSHP. Overeat on Halloween candy.

Nov. 2nd Saturday- Royal Table 10:15 Bumped this back since we are at the party the night before), Be Our Guests 9:00pm

Nov. 3rd Sunday- Hacienda de San Angel Dinner 8:30pm for Illuminations (enjoying Food & Wine See list below of must hit). Most likely will watch Christopher Cross for about 15 minutes and then move on. Just play Arthur's Theme and Sailing and I'm good.

Nov. 4th Mon- Fantasmic Mama Melrose Package dining 12:30.

Nov. 5th Tues- Yak and Yeti Dinner 4:45. We'll hop back over for some syrup Pop at Epcot for Hanson. (Oddly, I've seen them playing at an event in Nashville and they are pretty solid)

Nov. 6th Wed- My wife said we need a "rest day." This was my idea of "rest" in Orlando: BoardWalk Ballyhoo Guided Tour at 9:00 Lunch at Ravenous Pig Lunch, got to Themepark Connections store and then 4rivers for dinner.

Nov. 7th Thur- Whispering Canyon 9:30, Via Napoli 4:30. Not sure if we will hit Animal Kingdom or go resort touring. We will hit the Race expo to pick up stuff. Domo Arigato that night with Dennis Deyoung at Epcot.

Nov. 8th Fri- Beaches and Cream for Lunch, Flying Fish 7:30pm (Epcot day). Our friends from Charlotte are driving in for dinner. They'll watch Sarah during 5k and then themselves run the Half Marathon.

Nov. 9th Sat-Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K is first up (friends watching our daughter). Then Kids Race and later that night our friends run the Wine and Dine. We'll probably play around at Festival of the Masters. I'm a member of Tide Pride at Alabama so, I have to find a TV for the LSU game sometime during the day.

Nov. 10th Sun- Cask and Larder for Brunch! We'll then come back and enjoy food and wine and shuffle our feet around Epcot. (NASA is doing a Sat. Launch that night at Cape. May drive over)

Nov. 11th Mon- It's Veterans day, so we have to see the flag ceremony at Magic Kingdom. It's also where we will be at for the Christmas Party!

Nov. 12th Tue- Brown Derby Lunch 1:10 (Hollywood Studios Day)

Nov. 13th Wed- Kona Breakfast 8:50/ Yachtsman Steakhouse 7:35 (Side Note, we had AWFUL service at Kona last time. This is to try to redeem it)

Nov. 14th Thur- Crystal Palace 8:25 and Ragland Road 7:45. (Magic Kingdom Day will be the last day)

Head home and continue training for the Half Marathon in January!

I did sort of a budget for Food and Wine. I know this will grow at least 40% with us there in the park probably 5 days (counting evening shows):

$358.55 Total

Africa: $4.25
Berbere Style Beef with Onions, Jalapeños, Tomato, Okra and Pap – $4.25

American Adventure Coffee Cart: $9.05
Shakin’ Jamaican Coffee – Made with Kāhlua, Vanilla and Caramel. Served Hot or Frozen — $8.49 ($9.05 with tax)

Argentina: $9.50
Beef Empanada - $4.25
Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée - $5.25

Australia: $6.00
Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies – $6.00

Belgium: $10.50
Potato and Leek Waffle with Braised Beef – $4.00
Belgian Waffle with Warm Chocolate Ganache and Whipped Cream – $3.25
Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote featuring Driscoll’s® Berries and Whipped Cream – $3.25

Brazil: $18.75
Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Onions, Avocado and Cilantro – $5.25, x2
Frozen Caipirinha featuring LeBlon Cachaça – $8.25

Brewers Collection: $26
Flight #1 $13
Flight #2 $13

Canada: $22.50
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup – $4.25 x2
“Le Cellier” Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce – $7.00 x2

Cheese: $8
Almond Crusted Blue Cheese Soufflé with Fig Jam - $3.25
Artisan Cheese Selection: Flagship Reserve Cheddar, La Bonne Vie Triple Crème Brie, Wijngaard Goats Gouda - $4.75

China: $3.95
Silky Spun Ice with Toppings (three flavors: Coconut, Strawberry, Chocolate) – $3.95

Craft Beer Stand: $3.50
Florida Beer Company, Devil’s Triangle - $3.50

Desserts & Champagne: $8.25
Guylian Belgian Chocolate Seashell Truffles – $1.75
Frozen S’mores – $3.00
Pyramid™Weiss Cream Beer – $3.50

Florida Local: $17.75
Florida Grass Fed Beef Slider with Monterey Jack and Sweet & Hot Pickles – $3.75
Florida Shrimp Ceviche with Fire Roasted Vegetables and Micro Cilantro – $4.25
Cigar City Brewing Florida Cracker Belgian-style White Ale – $3.50
Florida Orange Groves, Key Limen-Key Lime Wine – $2.75
Orlando Brewing, Sun Shade Organic Pale Ale – $3.50

France: $28.50
Escargots Persillade en Brioche (Garlic and Parsley Snails in Brioche) – $5.25
Boeuf Bourguignon (Braised Short Ribs in Cabernet with Mashed Potatoes) – $5.50
Crème Brûlée au Chocolat au Lait (Chocolate Milk Crème Brûlée topped with Caramelized Sugar) – $4.00 x2
Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush (Vodka, Grey Goose Cherry Noir, Grand Marnier, Cranberry Juice) – $9.75

Germany: $21.75
Schinken Nudel (Pasta Gratin with Ham & Cheese) – $3.25
Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll – $5.00
Apple Strudel with Werther’s Original Karamel and Vanilla Sauce – $3.50
Altenmünster Oktoberfest – $3.50
BraufactuM Darkon - $3.50

Greek: $3.50
Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey – $3.50

Hawaii: $20.25
Kālua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole® Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise - $3.50 x2
Kona Brewing Company’s Big Wave Golden Ale – $3.00
Kona Brewing Company’s Pipeline Porter – $3.00
Aulani Sunrise featuring Ocean Vodka – $7.25

Hops and Barley: $32.50
Griddled Lobster Tail with Garlic Herb Butter - $7.50
Lobster Roll with Lemon Herb Mayonnaise - $7.50
New England Clam Chowder with a side of Tabasco® – $3.00
Craisin® Bread Pudding with Grand Marnier Anglaise – $3.25
Beer Flight $11

Ireland: $20
Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie – $6.25
Kerrygold Cheese Selection: Reserve Cheddar, Dubliner with Irish Stout, Skellig – $3.75,
Warm Chocolate Pudding with Bailey’s® Custard – $3.50,
Chilled Irish Coffee featuring Bunratty Potcheen – $6.50

Italy: $25.25
Ravioli de Formaggio All’Emiliana – $5.75
Salsiccia e ‘Papacelli” Napoletani – $5.75
Cannoli al Cioccolato – $3.75
Italian Margarita $10

Japan: None

Mexico: $17.50
Shrimp Taco with Purple Cabbage – $5.50
Rice Pudding – $3.50
Mango-Habanero Margarita – $8.50

Morocco: None

New Zealand: $4.25
Venison Sausage with Pickled Mushrooms, Baby Arugula and Black Currant Reduction – $4.25

Outpost: None

Poland: $8.25
Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream – $5.25
Zapiekanki (Toasted Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Cheese Bread with House-made Ketchup) - $3.00

Refreshment Port: None

Scotland: $6.75
Scottish Banoffee Tart with Bananas, Scottish Whisky Toffee, Walkers Shortbread Crumbles and Sweet Cream – $3.25
Innis & Gunn® Original Beer – $3.50

Singapore: $12.25
Seared Mahi Mahi with Jasmine Rice and “Singa” Sauce – $4.25
Singapore Sing featuring Hendrick’s Gin and Cherry Herring (garnished with Cherry Man Farm-to-Market All-Natural maraschino cherry) – $8.00

South Korea: $7.25
Kimchi Dog with Spicy Mustard Sauce and Kimchi – $3.75
Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw – $3.50

Terra: $2.50
Fresh Watermelon Juice – $2.50

Ahh this thread is making me hungry. Looks like a blast.

Love love love the photo on the luggage cart!!

Good luck with your training. I think loosing 25 pounds is awesome. I just started a new weight loss journey and am down 3 in 2 weeks. Hoping to be down at least 15 by our Christmas trip as we will eat ourselves silly while there.

Good luck with continued training.

Side note - hubby is huge dis fan ans TA but he prefers Facebook to the dis??? crazy I say, but anyhow you are not alone

Ahh this thread is making me hungry. Looks like a blast.

Love love love the photo on the luggage cart!!

Good luck with your training. I think loosing 25 pounds is awesome. I just started a new weight loss journey and am down 3 in 2 weeks. Hoping to be down at least 15 by our Christmas trip as we will eat ourselves silly while there.

Good luck with continued training.

Side note - hubby is huge dis fan ans TA but he prefers Facebook to the dis??? crazy I say, but anyhow you are not alone

Yeah, I am at that point where I am building muscle and not shedding huge lbs but I am down about 40 pounds. I am ok with just being able to go long distance and healthy. Not too worried what the scales say.

Thanks for following along.

Looks like we'll add a trip to the Citrus Bowl for Sunday Nov. 10th for US Women's Soccer vs. Brazil.

16 more days till we arrive!

How fun. How Fun How Fun. Can not wait to see all the food pictures...

The last Halloween party of 2013 and we went. All of us were part of Monster's University. Princess "Sully" Sarah!
1453470_10200477553454347_135122479_n.jpg

Love the Winnie The Pooh set-up more than the Jack Skellington:
1375055_10200478762044561_518169963_n.jpg

This was a highlight. We were dazed, couldn't find Lotso and we look up and see 'The Girls':
996944_10200479493222840_64504913_n.jpg

Somehow we left around 1am and back at Cinderella's Castle at 10am..... I am dragging. We are currently taking a break in the room:
1384228_10200481558714476_1769423287_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter