A DISers Book Club!

Thank you for posting about Hidden Mickeys! I'm reading it now and am really enjoying it. I would only recommend it to Disney lovers to read though. The writing is a little clumsy, but it's a interesting idea, like the DaVinci Code for Disney fans. I'm half way through and very curious to find out what the quest is all about, what it will lead them to in the end.

Hi WaltD4Me,

I'm delighted to hear that you are enjoying the book. I agree with your observation on the writing and the comparison to The DaVinci Code. It also reminds me of National Treasure.

When you've finished the book, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Also, I'd like to talk to you about a road one of the characters takes that I think was a significant departure from their personality that the authors wrote to propel the plot. I've been wanting to get another persons thoughts on that. Please feel free to PM me when you're done. I don't want to ruin it for others who might read it or bore others who are not.

Enjoy the adventure - the ending is a terrific roller coaster conclusion!

Hi WaltD4Me,

I'm delighted to hear that you are enjoying the book. I agree with your observation on the writing and the comparison to The DaVinci Code. It also reminds me of National Treasure.

When you've finished the book, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Also, I'd like to talk to you about a road one of the characters takes that I think was a significant departure from their personality that the authors wrote to propel the plot. I've been wanting to get another persons thoughts on that. Please feel free to PM me when you're done. I don't want to ruin it for others who might read it or bore others who are not.

Enjoy the adventure - the ending is a terrific roller coaster conclusion!

I will PM you when I'm done. I'm very interested to read futher to see what you mean. Glad to hear about the terrific conslusion. I hate when a book like this ends flat.

One thing about this book that got annoying fast is the "Lance is incredibly good looking" references.
I GET IT already! :rolleyes:

ETA: And to return the favor, I will recommend a sort of similiar book to you. It's called "Waking Walt." I think it's out of print, but it shows up on Amazon in stock. It reminds me a little of Hidden Mickeys. It's literally about "Waking" Walt, so he can save Disney.

I love books...growing up Tuesdays were my favorite day as that is the day my mom went into town (I grew up on a farm) to get groceries and also went to the library....new books :cool1::cool1:...any way now I am passing that on to my daughter...she is 7 and big into The Magic Treehouse books right now....I have read them with her too...

Anyway I just read Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden. I really enjoy her books and thought this one was good as well.

I am starting Nevada Barr's 13 1/2 now.

Heading to B&N today to get the free Alice in Wonderland book download for the Nook. I've already gotten the screensaver set via the B&N website. Pretty cool.

21342_nook_Alice_f1_post0305.jpg

ok Kevin, just downloaded Pirates latitude. Ill be looking for a thread to report on. thanks

Hi! Haven't posted in a few months but just had to stop by and say how much I LOVED reading "The Help". Now to read Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (my favorite aurthor) so that I can see the movie when it comes out. :goodvibes

I'm reading Angels Everywhere, by Lynn Valentine. It includes true stories by people who have been touched by angels. I'll read anything that has something, or anything, to do with angels.

Thank you to everyone who recommended The Help! I'm about halfway through it and I already know I don't want it to end!!!

Decisions, decisions! Morelli for me. ;) I love these books. Funny, when I read Kevin mentioned Sandra Bullock as Hilly in The Help(I LOVED this book), I have always pictured Bullock as Stephanie Plum! :)

I think of Jennifer Anston as Stephanie - and I can't decide who should play Morelli or Ranger but Grandma kills me ! LOL

Due to a lack of free time and desire, my reading over the years had dwindled so much that unless it started with "www" or was a Sunday newspaper ad I didn't read it. My DW on the other hand is an avid reader and our house tends to look more like a Nora Roberts / JD Robb shrine at times. I gave her a Kindle this last Christmas, feeling a little awkward that she now had a new techie toy and I didn't. Then again, I couldn't justify the cost of a device for what little reading I did.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've got a Nook in my hands. Since I powered the thing up on 2/12, I've finished 5 novels and two paperbacks! I've done more non-Internet based reading since I got my Nook than from when we were married 13 years ago! Need less to say, the DW is calling it money well spent.

So, what's on the "My Library" list?

• Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane was a pretty good page-turner with an unexpected ending
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - I really enjoyed the main character in this one and it brought a few laughs along the way
  • Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo by Heather Wardell was ok, but kind of dragged at times
  • Just One Of The Guys by Kristan Higgins - After getting over the thought that a guy would download a sample to a Harlequin book, I really got hooked within the first few pages and enjoyed this read; enough to grab another of the author's stories.
  • Catch Of The Day by Kristan Higgins was an okay story but not nearly as good as the previous in the list. After all, how many times can you read about the wrinkles near a person's eyes and how flushed someone can get? I had the ending figured out with 6 chapters left to go; very predictable.
  • Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn - Um, yeah. Interesting concept for a story but incredibly hard to get into and believe. Written as notes between characters, I grew tired of the big SAT words and ended up dropping the book after a couple of chapters.
  • The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox - I guess this would be considered as a "fluff read". It was a little humorous but wasn't enough to make me think about reading any other of the series.
  • The Shack by William P. Young - This was a very thought provoking book that I really enjoyed. It makes the reader think about their "church pew" concepts of God and opens the mind for a little deeper interpretation of God's relationships. This is definitely a re-read!

Last year's reads included As Simple as Snow and Thirteen Reasons Why plus the two current Kingdom Keepers books which are really enjoyable.

Thanks to all who have posted what they are reading and some general reviews. It has really helped me to look at titles that I normally would have overlooked.
:thumbsup2

I think of Jennifer Anston as Stephanie - and I can't decide who should play Morelli or Ranger but Grandma kills me ! LOL

I am catching up on some old library emails and found this from February 10th.

Heigl Gets PLUM Role
It can be a very long time between a book being signed for the movies and it actually appearing on the screen.

This is proved once again with Janet Evanovich’s One for the Money, which was signed in 1994, before the book was published. For a while, it was rumored that Reese Witherspoon would star as lingerie-buyer-turned-bounty-hunter Stephanie Plum.

According to Variety, Katherine Heigl (Grey’s Anatomy) has just signed for that role and the movie is “back on the fast track.”

Due to a lack of free time and desire, my reading over the years had dwindled so much that unless it started with "www" or was a Sunday newspaper ad I didn't read it. My DW on the other hand is an avid reader and our house tends to look more like a Nora Roberts / JD Robb shrine at times. I gave her a Kindle this last Christmas, feeling a little awkward that she now had a new techie toy and I didn't. Then again, I couldn't justify the cost of a device for what little reading I did.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've got a Nook in my hands. Since I powered the thing up on 2/12, I've finished 5 novels and two paperbacks! I've done more non-Internet based reading since I got my Nook than from when we were married 13 years ago! Need less to say, the DW is calling it money well spent.

So, what's on the "My Library" list?

Last year's reads included As Simple as Snow and Thirteen Reasons Why plus the two current Kingdom Keepers books which are really enjoyable.

Thanks to all who have posted what they are reading and some general reviews. It has really helped me to look at titles that I normally would have overlooked.
:thumbsup2

Wow we sound like twins. In the three weeks since I've had my Nook I've spent more time reading and less time on the laptop at home. Welcome!

Is anyone signed up at Goodreads.com ? I just created an account to track books on my bookshelves.

1) What I've read
2) Currently reading
3) Want to read

Those are just the basic shelves.

A lot of us use Amazon and Barnes & Noble for our purchasing but this looks like a nice neutral site to friend each other and chronical our reading. :goodvibes

I'm on Goodreads too. When I hear of a book I want to read I add it to my To Read list so I don't forget what the name of it was. I also go there to read reviews other people wrote if I want to find out more about a book.

Wow we sound like twins. In the three weeks since I've had my Nook I've spent more time reading and less time on the laptop at home. Welcome!

Is anyone signed up at Goodreads.com ? I just created an account to track books on my bookshelves.

1) What I've read
2) Currently reading
3) Want to read

Those are just the basic shelves.

A lot of us use Amazon and Barnes & Noble for our purchasing but this looks like a nice neutral site to friend each other and chronical our reading. :goodvibes

I am going to check out goodreads, thanks!

I'm on Goodreads as well just to keep track of what I've read and wish lists. Is there a Disboard group over there?

I'm on Goodreads as well just to keep track of what I've read and wish lists. Is there a Disboard group over there?

On Goodreads I'm just Tamara, but I have the same pink budgie avatar that I have here. Not sure how all that works either. I joined when a distant friend invited me and other than her, I've a loner over there. :rotfl: It does seem to have the ability to allow you to make groups both private and public in addition to having your friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter