A DISers Book Club!

For those of you on Facebook, look up the "Visual Bookshelf" app. You can keep track of the books you've read, post ratings and reviews, and get recommendations. I love it since I can see what my friends are reading and get new ideas!

I wanna join in!!!:worship:

I have a couple of suggestions if you all do not mind.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The novel is not easily classified by genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. However, the book breaks certain romance genre conventions—the heroine, for instance, is slightly older and more experienced than the hero. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of eighteenth century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel. when Claire journeys from the 1940s to the eighteenth century.

Claire Randall is a nurse in the British Army during World War II. She and her husband Frank, who were separated during the war, have recently reunited and are enjoying a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. Claire goes plant-gathering with an amateur botanist, Claire realizes she can hear a buzzing noise from the stones and investigates. She ends traveling back in time to 1743 where she is thrown together her husbands ancestor and a new Scotsman named Jamie.

Marian:worship::cheer2:

The novel is not easily classified by genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. However, the book breaks certain romance genre conventions—the heroine, for instance, is slightly older and more experienced than the hero. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of eighteenth century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel. when Claire journeys from the 1940s to the eighteenth century.

Claire Randall is a nurse in the British Army during World War II. She and her husband Frank, who were separated during the war, have recently reunited and are enjoying a second honeymoon in Inverness, Scotland. Claire goes plant-gathering with an amateur botanist, Claire realizes she can hear a buzzing noise from the stones and investigates. She ends traveling back in time to 1743 where she is thrown together her husbands ancestor and a new Scotsman named Jamie.

When I saw romance, I went started to skip over it, then I saw time travel. I'm a sucker for time travel stories. :) Guess it depends on the ratio of romance to sci-fi is. :rotfl:

I LOVE this series! I just finished the newest one and there must be more coming, it left so many questions!

The Help is a wonderful read as well, and I love the way it's written.

Although I did not read the first book (not a big Michael Crichton fan), I do have a suggestion for the 2nd book. How about Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane? I know that this book is a movie, but I still think that this book sounds pretty interesting. It is about "A United States marshal hunts for a beautiful patient escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane on an island in Boston’s outer harbor."-from New York Times Bookseller information. Another suggestion I have is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This book is about "Race, poverty and science intertwine in the story of the woman whose cancer cells were cultured without her permission in 1951 and have supported a mountain of research undertaken since then."-from New York Times Book Review. This is a non-fiction book, but from the reviews I have read, it seems like a great book. I am not sure if anyone else is interested in non-fiction, but I thought I would suggest it.

Another suggestion I have is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This book is about "Race, poverty and science intertwine in the story of the woman whose cancer cells were cultured without her permission in 1951 and have supported a mountain of research undertaken since then."-from New York Times Book Review.

I just read about this book. Sounds very interesting!

This is my suggestion for Book Club.
Or just a really good book to read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

In a startling departure from her previous novels ( Lady Oracle , Surfacing ), respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be.
~ From Library Journal

For those of you on Facebook, look up the "Visual Bookshelf" app. You can keep track of the books you've read, post ratings and reviews, and get recommendations. I love it since I can see what my friends are reading and get new ideas!

I love visual bookshelf too!!

I haven't stuck with The Outlander series the whole way but boy did I LOVE that first book -- and at least the second one too.

Jamie is the best.

I'm not a huge fan of Margaret Atwood and especially not of Handmaid's Tale but that's certainly a book that's excellent for a book club.

I've never read anything by Lehane so I'm OK with Shutter Island if that's the next book.

I'd like to join in but I really only read non-fiction. For example, I just finished reading Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA and Perils of Peace: Americas Struggle for Survival After Yorktown. If you ever venture over to what people would call "books they make you read in school" territory, I'm in.

Just finished 'Help' loved it and at the grand age of 42 read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for the very first time, enjoyed both books. Now reading 'The Personal History of Rachel Dupree' Good so far would recommend it after 'Help'

A

Hi! Haven't posted in a few months but just had to stop by and say how much I LOVED reading "The Help". Now to read Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (my favorite aurthor) so that I can see the movie when it comes out. :goodvibes

I think this should be the next DIS Book Club pick....I think it would appeal to a wide audience.

I've heard good things about this one too.

LOVE this series, but some of them are very long - so it might scare some people.

Heading to B&N today to get the free Alice in Wonderland book download for the Nook. I've already gotten the screensaver set via the B&N website. Pretty cool.

21342_nook_Alice_f1_post0305.jpg

I downloaded this on my iPhone Kindle app - seemed like a good time to actually read the original.

I've heard good things about this one too.

LOVE this series, but some of them are very long - so it might scare some people.

I downloaded this on my iPhone Kindle app - seemed like a good time to actually read the original.

Which version did you get for Kindle? The one I saw said something about HTML version and I wasn't sure if that would be better or worse. Another version said it was missing the poems. So, I'd like to know what you got and what you think about it. I have Wonderland and Looking Glass as old books from the late 1800's so I've read them, but they are fragile so it would be easier to re-read on the Kindle.

I'd like to join in but I really only read non-fiction. For example, I just finished reading Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA and Perils of Peace: Americas Struggle for Survival After Yorktown. If you ever venture over to what people would call "books they make you read in school" territory, I'm in.

I really like non-fiction too. Right now I'm reading "Fatal Analysis." It's about a psychologist who is working with someone who he thinks is a serial killer.
I think, though, that you could give some fiction a chance. For instance, historical fiction has a lot of non-fiction qualities. It gives a lot of factual information, but adds it to a fictional story. You can still learn a lot that way.

Today's paper in Jackson has an article about "The Help" being scheduled to be a movie.

Let's list who should play the roles from the book.

Aibileen - Ophra

Minny - Whoopie

Skeeter - Winona Ryder

Miss Hilly - Nicole Kiddman

Miss Celia - Scarlett Johansson

Miss Leefolt - Jorja Fox

Has anyone here read The Secret? It was recommended to me tonight by a friend and I'm curious to see if anyone else has read it and whether or not they felt empowered by it.

I just filled it out. Thanks for doing that! I suggested the Lost City of Z. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back and it has been on my to read list for awhile. It seemed to get good reviews. I would also love reading anything Disney.

I just got the book Designing Disney from Amazon today. I can't wait to start it! :lovestruc

Good idea, PinkBudgie!

I've had Lost City of Z on my shelf for months and it keeps getting bumped for something else.

I just filled it out. Thanks for doing that! I suggested the Lost City of Z. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back and it has been on my to read list for awhile. It seemed to get good reviews. I would also love reading anything Disney.

I just got the book Designing Disney from Amazon today. I can't wait to start it! :lovestruc

Thanks for posting that! I just looked up the description on Amazon - looks like a great read. I'm going to get it from the library this week.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the second book of the book club. I was a little late in finding the thread on the first one. I read a little to slowly to start up in the middle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter