A few weird things we saw people do on our trip

I will never forget a terrible story from a California State Park campground/beach from 1998/2000ish on the news. An aunt took her 10yr old nephew to the mens bathroom and stood outside waiting. He never came out. When they went in and found him, he had been stabbed by an obviously unstable teen and ultimately died.

This story in the back of my mind makes me anxious about letting my 8 yr old go alone into men's bathrooms. He's at the age that going into the women's really bothers him. Fortunately, my husband can often be with him and many places (including WDW) have "Family Bathrooms" or "Companion Bathrooms" that are okay for both genders. I'm "careful" not to be too over-protective and give him independence in other environments, not the public mens bathrooms.

I've heard some moms have their sons count out loud while they're in there and know if the counting stops, something is wrong.

That is truly horrible. I know I have told my XH so many horror stories about kids going into bathrooms alone I am suprised he takes our DD out in public......however, about 3 years ago they were at Home Depot and of course being a kid and having to hit every bathroom in every store on the East Coast, she had to go. He picked her up and covered her eyes ( it's really kinda funny to see him do this ) and started to walk into the men's bathroom with her. ( I have told him numerous times I would really rather her see that then be in danger ) An employee yelled at him, "hey, you can't take her in there!" My ex is a pretty big guy, and I really thought I was the only one with the bazumbas to stand up to him. He turned around, didn't say a word, and walked right into the womens bathroom with her. By the time DD was done, the manager had just arrived. :lmao: ( he was about 5'2") when they saw him come out, they just said, "um, sir..is everything ok?" I laughed for months every time I went in there. :rotfl2:

This story in the back of my mind makes me anxious about letting my 8 yr old go alone into men's bathrooms. He's at the age that going into the women's really bothers him. Fortunately, my husband can often be with him and many places (including WDW) have "Family Bathrooms" or "Companion Bathrooms" that are okay for both genders. I'm "careful" not to be too over-protective and give him independence in other environments, not the public mens bathrooms.

I totally feel for you Mommas and Daddies who have to hear these kinds of stories and it strikes fear into you. "What if that were my child?" But I have to say, if that unstable teen wanted to stab someone, it wouldn't have matter what age they were or WHERE they were. This kind of unpredictable, random violence is not something you can truly shelter your child (or yourself) from. You have to live your life, and can't let it scare you from letting your child grow up on a regular normal timeline.

Please understand, I am NOT trying to diminish your very real fears. I have such compassion for parents trying to raise their children in this crazy world. But please, remember that these incidents are very few and far between and are truly not anything you can fully avoid. You have to live your life, y'know?

8 years old may be a little big to be in the ladies room, but it wouldn't bother me as much as seeing a boy in there who had gone through or is going through, puberty. To me, there's a difference.

I will never forget a terrible story from a California State Park campground/beach from 1998/2000ish on the news. An aunt took her 10yr old nephew to the mens bathroom and stood outside waiting. He never came out. When they went in and found him, he had been stabbed by an obviously unstable teen and ultimately died.

I've heard some moms have their sons count out loud while they're in there and know if the counting stops, something is wrong.

At 8 years old, if there isn't a man with you to take your son into the men's bathroom and there is no family bathroom near, I would take him into the women's bathroom also, expecially if he is not a big (in size) boy. My son is as big as a man and weight trains (for hockey - he plays AAA), but he is still only 12 years old so I'm still careful. I always say - better safe than sorry.:thumbsup2 Your story is also one of the reasons we avoid bathrooms that aren't busy.

I totally feel for you Mommas and Daddies who have to hear these kinds of stories and it strikes fear into you. "What if that were my child?" But I have to say, if that unstable teen wanted to stab someone, it wouldn't have matter what age they were or WHERE they were. This kind of unpredictable, random violence is not something you can truly shelter your child (or yourself) from. You have to live your life, and can't let it scare you from letting your child grow up on a regular normal timeline.

Please understand, I am NOT trying to diminish your very real fears. I have such compassion for parents trying to raise their children in this crazy world. But please, remember that these incidents are very few and far between and are truly not anything you can fully avoid. You have to live your life, y'know?

I completely agree. The very reason that these types of things make national headlines is that they are freak occurrences.

As parents, we unfortunately cannot guarantee our children's safety. One of the biggest killers of children is automobile accidents, yet I'm sure none of you think twice about driving your children around every day.

Life is full of risks. You should obviously take every reasonable precaution, but you can't keep your child in a bubble. They have to be able to grow and become independent.

I once saw a woman get out of the pool, and lay her baby down to get the swimsuit off and some dry clothes on. Anyway, she took off the swim diaper, and instead of using a babywipe to wipe the baby's bottom, she walked over to the pool with her naked infant, and dipped the baby (up to the baby's waist) in the pool for a cleaning.

Must have been a Disney first-timer and wasn't aware of the many "baby-bidets" that are located throughout WDW!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LSU TIGAHS OMAHA BOUND ONE MORE TIME

Family Guy Quote of the Day

Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

The Boom Box went out in style last night!!

LSU 21
UCI 7

Family Guy Quote of the Day

Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

The Boom Box went out in style last night!!

LSU 21
UCI 7

off topic much?

I see your point. I'm not necessarily concerned he's going to be stabbed in a bathroom and I haven't told my child this story NOR does he live life in a bubble. He's independent and has a healthy sense of confidence and self esteem.

Very true, random acts of violence can occurr anywhere. But, bathrooms are a public place where i would be sending him in with strangers to possibly literally expose himself to pedophiles. In such a situtation, i feel better with him accompanied by a trusted adult to protect from the chance of those rare incidence.

Some people think pedophelia is on the rise. Maybe it just used to be something that wasn't talked about/reported. I'll take the safe vs. sorry while he's so young.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter