A Photo Safari Halloween Solo Trip for Oct'13: Trip Report Started!

4 days to go!

Last night I told DD that I was going on a business trip this weekend which is what she calls all of my conference trips. She asked me where my conference was this time and I told her Orlando.

Her eyes lit up and she said "Your meeting is in Disney World?"
Me: "I'm staying at a Disney hotel but the meeting is closer to Orlando."
DD: "But Orlando IS Disney World!"

Which gave me a nice chuckle. This week I've been feeling a bit guilty going to this meeting and WDW without DW and the kids. Since we planned a trip for upcoming January as a family before I even started making plans for this conference, it would have been difficult to make this a family vacation especially since DW's allotment of vacation time this year has been at a premium after our two week trip to Korea. So, I'll definitely be making it up to the family in January - or at least that's how I'm trying to alleviate my guilt. ;)

And I'm sure it will or has been manifesting in other ways too. :lmao:

Exhibit A: DS' birthday is tomorrow. We already did the major celebration down in Williamsburg a couple of weekends ago. A few days ago, I called around and found a bakery that will make a Cars themed cake. It's for 25 people and it's really going to be just for us 4. But hey, I thought the decorations were worth it! :rotfl:

B: Things are usually pretty much split down the middle in our household with the kid duties. When it comes to homework, baths, and nighttime routines, DW and I usually alternate during the week. So, the past couple of days I started doing the evening rituals and duties by myself and plan to do so for the entire week to make up for me being gone for 4 days.

C: Also, I started planning a two night weekend excursion for me and the kids to Baltimore the weekend after I come back from WDW, to give DW a break of her own. I had originally planned on taking the kids to see my brother and his family in NYC but they are still dealing with the remodeling mess for their condo after a construction crew accidentally triggered the fire sprinkler system in the unit above them and flooded their entire condo.

D: I've been promising lots and lots of gifts to DD and DS from this trip. :rotfl: Starting to doubt whether my usual conference luggage gear will be sufficient to haul back all of the goodies.

E: Oh and I keep telling myself that this trip is really about my continuing medical education and conference obligations. ;)

Her eyes lit up and she said "Your meeting is in Disney World?"
Me: "I'm staying at a Disney hotel but the meeting is closer to Orlando."
DD: "But Orlando IS Disney World!"
She knows what's what. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Exhibit A: DS' birthday is tomorrow. We already did the major celebration down in Williamsburg a couple of weekends ago. A few days ago, I called around and found a bakery that will make a Cars themed cake. It's for 25 people and it's really going to be just for us 4. But hey, I thought the decorations were worth it! :rotfl:
You can NEVER have too much cake... :rolleyes1

B: Things are usually pretty much split down the middle in our household with the kid duties. When it comes to homework, baths, and nighttime routines, DW and I usually alternate during the week. So, the past couple of days I started doing the evening rituals and duties by myself and plan to do so for the entire week to make up for me being gone for 4 days.
:thumbsup2

C: Also, I started planning a two night weekend excursion for me and the kids to Baltimore the weekend after I come back from WDW, to give DW a break of her own. I had originally planned on taking the kids to see my brother and his family in NYC but they are still dealing with the remodeling mess for their condo after a construction crew accidentally triggered the fire sprinkler system in the unit above them and flooded their entire condo.
:faint: :crazy2: They triggered the fire sprinkler? Wow! That would be... frustrating to say the least.

D: I've been promising lots and lots of gifts to DD and DS from this trip. :rotfl: Starting to doubt whether my usual conference luggage gear will be sufficient to haul back all of the goodies.
I'm sure there's a place you can fill a box and ship it via UPS or FedEx.:thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

E: Oh and I keep telling myself that this trip is really about my continuing medical education and conference obligations. ;)
But we all know better... :rolleyes1:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:faint: :crazy2: They triggered the fire sprinkler? Wow! That would be... frustrating to say the least.

I'm sure there's a place you can fill a box and ship it via UPS or FedEx.:thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yeah, the bigger mess has trying to get the contractor's insurance company to pay up. Just like all insurance claims, the company is fighting almost everything that wasn't part of the unit structure. It's ridiculous. Because those gallons of water that poured on top of the LCD TV or the computer had nothing to do with it getting broken. Riiiiiiiight. What a pain.

UPS/Fedex is not a bad idea! I wonder if the resort will be able to help me out with this.

I've decided to use Twitter for my live updates and reports during this trip. I've done live reports on DIS before which was a lot more cumbersome especially when trying to post pictures.

So starting on the morning of Saturday 10/26 I'll start posting updates on my Twitter account. Twitter account is under Daveinfallschurch @DaveinFC. The pictures for the live report will be from my cell phone. I may be able to post a few pics from my camera on this PTR thread at the end of each day.

Most of my Disney updates should be coming in late afternoon or evening hours. I could post some pictures from my conference in the mornings and early afternoons but I have a feeling that won't draw as much interest from ya. ;)

Your DD has learned well! That's too funny. You can be sure she's going to ask where your conferences are located from now on.

Happy birthday to your little guy! Please feel free to share a photo of his Cars themed cake! :)

And yes, keep reminding yourself that you are there for CEUs not ADRs and EMH! :rotfl2:

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I'll have to follow you on Twitter.

So what does being under 10 days to go usually mean? It means that I find myself checking the 10 day weather forecast multiple times a day. So far so good but you can never trust these forecasts until 3-4 days out. Which begs the question why I even check. :rotfl:
We all torture ourselves with this futile exercise. Some of us might even check weather averages from many previous years...

Sounds like your daughter has it all figured out! Hehehe waiting for your January family trip will go so slowly now. But how sweet of you for spending so much extra time with them before you go. :)

. E: Oh and I keep telling myself that this trip is really about my continuing medical education and conference obligations. ;)

Suuuure, sure.

I've decided to use Twitter for my live updates and reports during this trip. I've done live reports on DIS before which was a lot more cumbersome especially when trying to post pictures. So starting on the morning of Saturday 10/26 I'll start posting updates on my Twitter account. Twitter account is under Daveinfallschurch @DaveinFC. The pictures for the live report will be from my cell phone. I may be able to post a few pics from my camera on this PTR thread at the end of each day. Most of my Disney updates should be coming in late afternoon or evening hours. I could post some pictures from my conference in the mornings and early afternoons but I have a feeling that won't draw as much interest from ya. ;)

Following along!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Awww I'm disappointed no pics from your conference???

I could be one of those conference attendees who take pictures of every. single. powerpoint. slide. and post them on Twitter for ya. :lmao:

Your DD has learned well! That's too funny. You can be sure she's going to ask where your conferences are located from now on.

Happy birthday to your little guy! Please feel free to share a photo of his Cars themed cake! :)

And yes, keep reminding yourself that you are there for CEUs not ADRs and EMH! :rotfl2:

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I'll have to follow you on Twitter.

I'll definitely put up some pictures of the cake tonight. Very curious to see how this turns out and what kind of reaction we get from DS.

We all torture ourselves with this futile exercise. Some of us might even check weather averages from many previous years...

Sounds like your daughter has it all figured out! Hehehe waiting for your January family trip will go so slowly now. But how sweet of you for spending so much extra time with them before you go. :)

:lmao: I've done that too - looking up weather archival data for the time period we're traveling!

I've decided to use Twitter for my live updates and reports during this trip. I've done live reports on DIS before which was a lot more cumbersome especially when trying to post pictures.

So starting on the morning of Saturday 10/26 I'll start posting updates on my Twitter account. Twitter account is under Daveinfallschurch @DaveinFC. The pictures for the live report will be from my cell phone. I may be able to post a few pics from my camera on this PTR thread at the end of each day.

Most of my Disney updates should be coming in late afternoon or evening hours. I could post some pictures from my conference in the mornings and early afternoons but I have a feeling that won't draw as much interest from ya. ;)

Following. :thumbsup2

And I get it. You don't want to post from the "conference" so you don't get into trouble... :rolleyes1 :lmao:

I'll be following in!

Consider this a scouting trip for your January trip- of course you want to find all the best magic before you bring the wife and kids back!

Following. :thumbsup2

And I get it. You don't want to post from the "conference" so you don't get into trouble... :rolleyes1 :lmao:

Actually, it might help me convince my coworkers that I will attend the conference by taking pictures as proof. Those who know me well in the office are pretty certain that I'll be spending very minimal time at the conference. :lmao:

I'll be following in!

Consider this a scouting trip for your January trip- of course you want to find all the best magic before you bring the wife and kids back!

:thumbsup2

That's right! It's a scouting trip and I'm doing this for my family. ;)

I mean, you know. It's not like I... Well that would be totally... It wasn't me or anything. It happened to a friend of a friend of mine. :lmao:

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

:lmao:

Thanks to having lived in Houston for a few years I have become a weather nerd which all started with hurricane tracking and trying to figure out if that storm is going to head our way.

Excellent cake!

(I hope you will have time to come back later and post MNSSHP pics on here, too [I don't twitter]; I'm going to try out my daughter's new Hero camera at the party -- an interesting complicated gadget that looks fun but not sure I'll get much postable from it).

Learn lots and have a little fun (or vice versa!).

The cake is very cute! Happy birthday munchkin!

Thanks!! DS loved the cake! His eyes lit up when I showed it to him and he pretty much spent all of his time before dinner hovering over the cake and trying his best not to touch it. ;)

Excellent cake!

(I hope you will have time to come back later and post MNSSHP pics on here, too [I don't twitter]; I'm going to try out my daughter's new Hero camera at the party -- an interesting complicated gadget that looks fun but not sure I'll get much postable from it).

Learn lots and have a little fun (or vice versa!).

I'll definitely post of all of the good pictures from my DSLR when I start my trip report after coming back.

The twitter pictures were mostly for live update purposes. I know I love living vicariously through other people's trips as they happen so trying to return the favor. I'll also try to post a couple of pictures on this thread during my trip.

Your son's cake looks amazing.
I keep trying to figure out twitter. Guess this is a good time to start. I signed up a year or so ago and all I have really done was check the road conditions last winter.

Well, I've made it through the work week. I made plans awhile back to take a vacation day tomorrow before heading out to Orlando on Saturday morning. And to make the most of the extra day off, I signed up for an all day photography seminar! Won't be able to stay for the whole thing as I need to pick up DD after school and take her to her theater class. But I'll still be able to get a good number of sessions done.

I picked up the rental lens today. Decided to go with the Canon 35mm f1.4 which I'll probably use mostly for the dark ride photos and night time parades.

Haven't started packing but that's what Friday night is for, right? :lmao:

Two more days!! :cool1:

Yay! Glad you have concluded your work week and can now have a little fun before you leave. Enjoy your photo seminar tomorrow.

Last minute packer huh? Don't forget to include your HM tee! :)

Just started to follow you on twitter. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter