a question about art of animation vs pop century

adznyfan

Earning My Ears
hi

looking to visit wdw after a LONG time - the skyliner wasn't built the last time i was there so a few questions

does the skyliner cut transportation time?

why does the art of animation cost more than pop century? i'm getting a $50/nite difference with art of animation being more

thanks
cindy

hi

looking to visit wdw after a LONG time - the skyliner wasn't built the last time i was there so a few questions

does the skyliner cut transportation time?

why does the art of animation cost more than pop century? i'm getting a $50/nite difference with art of animation being more

thanks
cindy
Hello Cindy, and welcome back! Depends on when you’re looking to go. Reports are that Skyliner isn’t faster right now due to social distancing and one family/gondola. However, once closer to “normal,” Disney packs 10 guests/car and sends you on your way. So long as the system is moving, so are the lines. I’ll give you a better answer after next week when we stay at AoA for the first time.
As for the resorts’ differences, the overwhelming majority of AoA is the family suite setup and the only way to get 2 full baths and room for 6 without larger DVC villa prices. Even the basic rooms (Little Mermaid), while similar in layout to POP and the All Stars, are a little more theming intense.
We’re there this time around for a family suite, but otherwise I don’t know that we’d “upgrade” to AoA over POP. Especially after the room refurb, we love POP’s theme and convenience with the Skyliner.
Have fun planning!

Hi Cindy! We were just at AoA for the first time last weekend. We were at Pop our 2 stays prior. Honestly, if you are looking for a standard room, POP is a better value unless the Little Mermaid theming is super important to you. The Skyliner is fun and convenient but I would not say it is faster during peak usage times. It is certainly faster during the middle of the day.

The theming of AofA makes it a popular choice for families with young children. They charge the extra money because people are willing to pay it.

Keep in mind, the LM rooms at AOA are furthest from the main building, and have (IIRC) double beds instead of the new queen beds at POP. I hope this helps.

The refurbed LMM rooms have queens, but only a few buildings are refurbed so far.

Keep in mind, the LM rooms at AOA are furthest from the main building, and have (IIRC) double beds instead of the new queen beds at POP. I hope this helps.
The LM beds have been updated to queens. But, oddly enough, they didn’t put in Murphy beds like POP and All Stars, despite similar floor plans. The photos and a couple TouTube walk throughs I’ve seen look REALLY cramped without hiding a bed in the wall.

The AoA theming is cuter IMO, and I think maybe the pool is nicer?

I don't think I'd pay more unless you really want a Little Mermaid room.

The skyliner was lovely when I went before Covid. Reports are more mixed on it now. I'd still rather ride it than a bus.

All Pop rooms have exterior corridors. Many AofA rooms have interior corridors.
I have stayed at POP numerous times and I really like the remodeled rooms. The two resorts are so close in proximity, it is easy to visit the other. I've partaken of the AofA Food Court while staying at Pop- the options were a bit enhanced from those at Pop's food court, but it appears from the most current menus that the food court options in both locations may have been downgraded a bit.

I went on the skyliner when it first opened and I didn't find it quicker, but, it lot more relaxing than the bus as they don't cram you in and the views are lovely.

I have to agree with heresabe about the Pop Century rooms, they are a lot nice since refurbishment. I also go between AoA and Pop for food. I've never stayed at AoA but, I do walk the circuit and it's a heck of a walk from the Little Mermaid section which does put me off staying there.

Art of Animation is a newer resort and therefore more popular. The theme is also preferable to Pop. We love the LM rooms at AOA, but I’m not sure it’s with another $50 per night.

All LM rooms are now 2 queen beds but as others mentioned, 2 stationary beds so room is more crowded without the fold-down bed.
The AoA theming is cuter IMO, and I think maybe the pool is nicer?

I don't think I'd pay more unless you really want a Little Mermaid room.

The skyliner was lovely when I went before Covid. Reports are more mixed on it now. I'd still rather ride it than a bus.
The Big Blue pool looks great but it is closing soon for an extended refurbishment. Depending on when your trip is OP, this pool may not be open.
All Pop rooms have exterior corridors. Many AofA rooms have interior corridors.
I have stayed at POP numerous times and I really like the remodeled rooms. The two resorts are so close in proximity, it is easy to visit the other. I've partaken of the AofA Food Court while staying at Pop- the options were a bit enhanced from those at Pop's food court, but it appears from the most current menus that the food court options in both locations may have been downgraded a bit.
The AoA rooms that have interior corridors are the family suites so a lot more $$ than the Pop rooms. The standard LM rooms at AoA are quite a hike and also have the same exterior corridors that Pop has.

Sadly both food courts are pretty much the same food options right now and there are not a lot of those. Hopefully that changes in the future.

We have stayed at both Pop and AoA and personally would (and do) choose to return to Pop both for the cost of the rooms and proximity to transportation for the standard rooms. $50 is a lot of money per night. I would recommend Pop if you're staying in a standard room.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 as well for an early Feb 3-night stay (which may or may not really happen, but I need to daydream and plan to stay sane.) With the big POP pool being closed, I'm wondering if the recommendation would change to AoA from some of those commenting above. My daughters are 10/12 and while we won't be at the pools a TON, they do really love them at night after a day at the parks especially with the early closing hours which I assume will still be in place then. I feel like the other POP pools will be a madhouse with the main one closed. Thoughts?

that's what I can't figure out after doing some extensive searching - any recent visitors that can verify?

I'm trying to decide between these 2 as well for an early Feb 3-night stay (which may or may not really happen, but I need to daydream and plan to stay sane.) With the big POP pool being closed, I'm wondering if the recommendation would change to AoA from some of those commenting above. My daughters are 10/12 and while we won't be at the pools a TON, they do really love them at night after a day at the parks especially with the early closing hours which I assume will still be in place then. I feel like the other POP pools will be a madhouse with the main one closed. Thoughts?
The Hippy Dippy Pool (main pool at Pop) is not closed. It was closed for refurb at the begining of the year but has been open back up for a while.
The Big Blue Pool (main pool at AOA) will be closing in the near future for a big refurb

To be specific on some of the comments above, AOA’s Big Blue Pool will be closed for refurbishment January 11, 2021 through early April 2021, per Disney’s website.

With the new Visa discounts, we can get LM room for $30 less per night then standard Pop. Never stayed there, but wondering if it is worth it from this direction. I would never pay more for LM rooms.

i have stayed at both and i know AOA is newer but Pop Century is still where i would choose to stay. in standard rooms you are at the back of the resort far from the amenities, i enjoying getting a quick coffee while kids are in bed or getting ready. pop has a better layout with a pool near the snack area if you need to refill your cup.
this could be just a side note not a big deal but AOA seems to have strange path almost zig-zaging when you are trying to get to your room and with exhausted feet from the parks it seems a little useless with all the kids gear attached to you.
overall i enjoyed the set up at pop i have stayed 3 times but never had the urge to rebooked at AOA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter