A question for Android techies, or, how did this photos get on my phone? photos added

TTFN

DIS Veteran
I have several photos that appear in my photo library that I cannot identify. They are not on my camera roll, so my phone didn't take them. They are on the internal storage of my phone, not the sd card where my photos are stored. They are apparently Russian photos, as one of them has a roadside sign in Russian. The sign translates to a construction ahead notice (at least according to the Google Goggles app). A couple appear to me to be border crossing areas; small shacks on either side of the road. The date that shows up with the odd photos is last Friday, May 17. I recognize the image before (my Mother's Day flowers), and the image after is the first picture I took on a weekend trip to DC. I've talked to the local Verizon people, but he was baffled. Any ideas? I'm mainly curious, with a bit of "creeped out". :confused3

Were you reading an article online or something that could have downloaded the photos from the web. Tbey can show up in your downloaded photos.

Disneychix, that was the Verizon tech's first thought, too. He ruled it out for 2 reasons: the Google Goggles app could not find the same photo anywhere for any of the 10 images (if they were from an article the app should have found a match), and that fact that they are in internal storage instead of sd card storage. Also, the only thing I looked at on the phone for the weekend was Google walking directions for DC, and restaurant info. :confused3

I found it very scary/creepy when I first found them, but now I'm more confused and curious.

are you saying that they are stored on the internal sd card rather than the removable one? Even though I have my external card set as the default storage for downloads sometimes the phone still puts things on the internal card.

I have several photos that appear in my photo library that I cannot identify. They are not on my camera roll, so my phone didn't take them. They are on the internal storage of my phone, not the sd card where my photos are stored. They are apparently Russian photos, as one of them has a roadside sign in Russian. The sign translates to a construction ahead notice (at least according to the Google Goggles app). A couple appear to me to be border crossing areas; small shacks on either side of the road. The date that shows up with the odd photos is last Friday, May 17. I recognize the image before (my Mother's Day flowers), and the image after is the first picture I took on a weekend trip to DC. I've talked to the local Verizon people, but he was baffled. Any ideas? I'm mainly curious, with a bit of "creeped out". :confused3

:eek: :teleport:

That is just. . .:scared:well. Creepy.

Yes, the pictures are stored on the non-removable internal storage of the phone, not the removable sd card. All of my camera pictures go to the sd card. Some downloads could go onto the internal storage, but these pictures I don't recognize and did not download.:confused3 It's a mystery!

Obviously your phone is a secret agent and the Cold War isn't over.

:rotfl: I had this whole spy thing going on in my head for a bit when I found the pics, but I hope a real spy would have better camera equipment than this photographer had! :lmao:

I have no idea how that could happen! Could the phone be preowned? If so maybe the previous owner took the pictures and they are just now showing up.

Please come back and update us when you find out.

I have no idea how that could happen! Could the phone be preowned? If so maybe the previous owner took the pictures and they are just now showing up.

Please come back and update us when you find out.

Nope, I've had this phone over 2 years (considering an upgrade). When I look at the photo info for these pictures, it says they were taken May 16, 2013 and they showed up in my library on May 17.

I've uploaded a few of the images (I hope....this is my first time to add pictures to the DIS ;) )

d5f3d339-9873-448e-baaa-bfad02f7ce05.jpg
[/URL]

875d7121-f048-4ee4-a9f6-fb16194ac12e.jpg
[/URL]

b25e459f-2ee6-45d0-b4ba-d9a671107c6f.jpg
[/URL]

Do you have an antivirus program on your phone? If not, get one! Phones can be hacked into quite easily. There is one for Android called AVG Free Antivirus.

I have strange photos and videos appear in my "gallery" all the time, but they are always multimedia related (from articles or videos I've watched). I just delet them when I find them.

They're coming from some app you've installed. I'd look at what you've installed recently and start deleting those apps. Then add one app at a time until you find the one that reinstalls the photos. :)

That is really weird!! As someone mentioned, I would definitely install the AVG Antivirus app on your phone. I don't think those pics came from an app you downloaded. Keep us updated with what you find out!! In the meantime, I will be looking through the pics on my phone, LOL.

Do you have an antivirus program on your phone? If not, get one! Phones can be hacked into quite easily. There is one for Android called AVG Free Antivirus.

I have strange photos and videos appear in my "gallery" all the time, but they are always multimedia related (from articles or videos I've watched). I just delet them when I find them.

I do need to get an anti-virus...I think the Kaspersky we own may have an android option. I can't imagine what I would have been looking at online that would have these strange ( and not very good) pictures.

They're coming from some app you've installed. I'd look at what you've installed recently and start deleting those apps. Then add one app at a time until you find the one that reinstalls the photos. :)

Hmmm... the only thing I've downloaded recently was a Sudoku game on March 1, and then the Verizon guy added the Google Goggle app to look at the odd pictures. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Downloaded and ran the AVG Antivirus...no threats found. :confused3

The photos themselves may not be "threats", and you may not have a virus, but if someone gained remote access to your phone to put them there, that is what you want to prevent in the future.

The AVG software will prevent remote hacks from occurring in the future.

I would also recommend password protecting your phone at this point.

And, finally, DELETE the photos. You never know what they could be from and you don't want to end up involved in something that you have nothing to do with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter