A question for car seat safety experts.......

kpm76

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>Charlie Brown is
We used the Chicco KeyFit 30 infant car seat for DD, who is now 3 yrs old. We bought the seat in 2007 and it expires in January 2013. The seat was used from May 2007-March 2008 and was never in an accident. I am expecting another baby in August and we just assumed we would buy another infant carrier; however, I have been reading that unless the seat has expired it's ok to use it again.

Honest answers please....would you re-use the seat or purchase a new one? I will never compromise safety for a few hundred dollars but if it's perfectly safe to re-use, I will consider it. DD is in a Britax Marathon now and I love it so the new baby will be getting one as well when he outgrows the carrier.

Thanks so much :)

When I was a State Trooper I got sent to Child Safety Seat Inspection training put on by NHTSA....

I don't remember EVERY little thing they told us, I do remember a few things:

1) Expiration dates are determined on several factors...

2) It was STRONGLY recommended not to use past expiration dates.

Models are tested and evaluated on rotating basis. As new technology becomes available, and safety is increased, those advances are developed into the new models. The springs, belts, connections and other fasteners DO wear out, and it only takes one failure to lead to a tragedy.

It might be fine, and the Good Lord willing, you hope and pray you never need the protection, but the bottom line for me personally is that I would get a new seat...but that's just me.

When I was a State Trooper I got sent to Child Safety Seat Inspection training put on by NHTSA....

I don't remember EVERY little thing they told us, I do remember a few things:

1) Expiration dates are determined on several factors...

2) It was STRONGLY recommended not to use past expiration dates.

Models are tested and evaluated on rotating basis. As new technology becomes available, and safety is increased, those advances are developed into the new models. The springs, belts, connections and other fasteners DO wear out, and it only takes one failure to lead to a tragedy.

It might be fine, and the Good Lord willing, you hope and pray you never need the protection, but the bottom line for me personally is that I would get a new seat...but that's just me.

Thank you!! I guess I am hung up on the fact that the seat does not expire for another 2.5 years and I would be using it from August of this year until approx. May 2011 so it would still be within the "safe" range. I used it for DD though so that bothers me as well......seems like every baby should have a new seat. It just got me thinking when I started reading that it can be re-used as long as it has not expired.......

I left a message for our State Police and Injury Prevention Center to see what their position is on the issue......

Thanks again!

No problem...:thumbsup2

For the record, my DW thinks the newest should still have new stuff too....:lmao::lmao:

I guess it didn't count for us, we're both the oldest, so no hand me downs:rotfl2:

Edited:

I think that's exactly what you should do, they will have the latest and greatest info, including all the recalls..

When we were expecting DD, we were told it also depended on where and how it was stored. If it was outside in the garage where it got extremely hot or cold, it could make the plastic brittle and break. We also found out that it was supposed to be covered so insects, mice, etc couldn't get in and get the foam/padding out of it. I guess it makes a pretty nice nest for some "critters" as we were told. :lmao: Since we had stored DS's car seat in a spare closet, we went ahead and used ours. You might want to take this into consideration. HTH! :goodvibes

*Former *but haven't forgotten what I learned* CPST here* I'd reuse it ~ so long as it was stored properly as the PP mentioned.

If you weren't in any accidents with it, stored it properly and it's not past expiration- why wouldn't you use it?

If you do decide on a new one please consider donating this one to someone in need!

We got a new one before DD was born but only because our first car seat was a 3pt harness and 5pt harnesses were now out. We used DDs seat for DS when he was born. There's no reason not to use it as long as it was stored safely and it hasn't expired unless there is a safety feature missing that you'd like to have on a new one.

I would reuse it - I see no reason not to as long as it was stored properly. We are re-using our infant seat from my first son (also born in 2007) for my 2nd (not expired, no accident, etc)

Ditto to the others! I'm a freak about carseat safety and assuming it wasn't out in the heat,etc and was stored properly, I'd reuse it. Great seat!

Thanks everyone! The seat was never in an accident and it has not expired, but I am wondering if it was stored properly. We had it uncovered in our finished basement. The basement flooded a few months ago but the seat was on a couch and it was one of the first things I moved upstairs once the water started coming in rapidly......I can't imagine it was damaged but who knows? I guess I am leaning toward getting a new one and using this one as an extra in case we need it for DH's car......

I think stored in a finished basement would be fine. Extreme cold or heat might do damage to the plastic, but it sounds like it wouldn't have been exposed to such extremities.

I would reuse it, or if you decide to buy a new one, donate the old one to a women's shelter or something :thumbsup2

I would also reuse it.

You probably won't have any luck donating it...most places aren't allowed to take used car seats. So unless you reuse it or give it to a friend/family member who trusts you that it is safe to use/never been in an accident etc, into the trash it will go.

What??? I have never heard of such a thing! I'm betting the car seat manufactures are the ones putting expiration dates on carseats and spreading rumors that your kids are gonna die a horrible death if you don't have the latest, greatest one. Oh, and the one that kept your last kid safe last year, boy did you luck out, it was a death trap!!! This mentality is insane! My mom was put in a crate on the floorboard as a baby, when her mom wasn't holding her in the front seat that is, and she's alive and well today :thumbsup2 I'm all for keeping kids safe, but this country has really gone off the deep end if we think something we just used for one kid is not good enough for the next! Either that or we just have way too much disposable income, maybe we should donate some to the kids eating dirt and bugs in other countries!

Please also know, in addition to safety concerns with an expired carseat, most insurancecompanies require you to be using a non-expired caraway in order to file any claims.

I would reuse it, or if you decide to buy a new one, donate the old one to a women's shelter or something :thumbsup2
While that's a generous thought, in my experience, no agency will take those kind of donations. There's no way of knowing if the seat was in an accident, or if it was properly maintained. These organizations (in my area) collect money to buy very basic (but safe) car seats for the families they serve.

While we are not done having children, I had threw out one of our infant seats -- the one we brought our DD home from the hospital in. No one I knew could use it, and it was expiring within a couple years. We have newer seats (one for each car) that we will use for our potential family.

My DS is 7 tomorrow and I'm currently pregnant with our second. I am planning on using DS's car seat for the new baby. I agree with the PP about expiry dates and how ridiculous it is that suddenly something that was good enough for your previous child is not good enough for the new baby. I didn't keep much from DS so having the car seat was a relief as it is one of the few thingsI will not have to buy again.

As long as it isn't expired, and is safe for use (no cracks, no accident, etc.), then I would use it.

As far as expiry dates, for the conspiracy theorists on the boards who have expressed their displeasure in this thread, please do some research about how plastic breaks down before making ridiculous statements about the car companies using expiry dates as a marketing ploy.

Car seats are government regulated and follow rigid safety standards - expiry dates are there as most car seats are made of plastic. Plastic breaks down and cracks - just look at toys, cups, dishes, etc., and you will see this happening. Car seats must be in perfect condition in order to work properly - the properly is protecting your babes in case of accident. Since plastic breaks down, especially when exposed to the elements, such as heat in a car, the seat can crack. This is where the problem lies...it's not hard to see how this would be problematic.

Pandv 2000 - I would highly encourage you to get a new seat, as I'm pretty sure after 7 years that your old seat is expired. Why wouldn't your new babe be worth the small cost of replacing the seat? You may not want to buy a new seat, but since your seat is more than likely over 7 years old, you will need a new seat. I don't understand your reasoning at all...you chose to have another baby, and so your children are 7 years apart, you will have to replace some items - car seats would be the first to replace. If you need to purchase new items for safety's sake, that's the way it is. Safety must come first.

Good luck to OP with new baby! Tiger

As long as it isn't expired, and is safe for use (no cracks, no accident, etc.), then I would use it.

As far as expiry dates, for the conspiracy theorists on the boards who have expressed their displeasure in this thread, please do some research about how plastic breaks down before making ridiculous statements about the car companies using expiry dates as a marketing ploy.

Car seats are government regulated and follow rigid safety standards - expiry dates are there as most car seats are made of plastic. Plastic breaks down and cracks - just look at toys, cups, dishes, etc., and you will see this happening. Car seats must be in perfect condition in order to work properly - the properly is protecting your babes in case of accident. Since plastic breaks down, especially when exposed to the elements, such as heat in a car, the seat can crack. This is where the problem lies...it's not hard to see how this would be problematic.

Pandv 2000 - I would highly encourage you to get a new seat, as I'm pretty sure after 7 years that your old seat is expired. Why wouldn't your new babe be worth the small cost of replacing the seat? You may not want to buy a new seat, but since your seat is more than likely over 7 years old, you will need a new seat. I don't understand your reasoning at all...you chose to have another baby, and so your children are 7 years apart, you will have to replace some items - car seats would be the first to replace. If you need to purchase new items for safety's sake, that's the way it is. Safety must come first.

This exactly. Not to mention that in many states, if you have an expired car seat, you can get ticketed for it if the police check the stickers. It's 130 bucks.. really, if you save for just a couple of weeks you can get a seat with no problems.

I live in the UK and there are no expiry dates on car seats hence why I do not understand it. The UK laws are generally very rigid - we have to have our children in some form of seat until they are 11 years old so if expiry dates were a neccessity then I assume they would apply here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter