A question I just have to ask ( its eating away at me)

Butterflies31

Mouseketeer
Ok I know this may be a touchy topic, But it is something I must know. Im a believer in Christ. That is 1st and for most. Me and the DH both agreed to tell our children at young ages that Santa and The Easter bunny are not real, because of our belief in telling the truth and being honest. We think that why would our kids believe in God when they can not see him, If we lie to them and tell them and tell them Santa is real and then years later they found out we lied. So any who. back to the topic--- Do you think that if I tell them Mickey is just a character in a costume, that it would ruin their Disney Experience.. I dont Think so but my friends are ridiculing me about it. They say tell them when they get home from Vacation... :confused3 Have any of you been threw this?

Ok I know this may be a touchy topic, But it is something I must know. Im a believer in Christ. That is 1st and for most. Me and the DH both agreed to tell our children at young ages that Santa and The Easter bunny are not real, because of our belief in telling the truth and being honest. We think that why would our kids believe in God when they can not see him, If we lie to them and tell them and tell them Santa is real and then years later they found out we lied. So any who. back to the topic--- Do you think that if I tell them Mickey is just a character in a costume, that it would ruin their Disney Experience.. I dont Think so but my friends are ridiculing me about it. They say tell them when they get home from Vacation... :confused3 Have any of you been threw this?

Your kids are 10, 9, and 6. I doubt you will have to tell them anything. These are not small children who don't understand what a cartoon is.

Let the flames begin!

If the subject dosen't come up about whether Mickey is "real" or not, why volunteer any information? And actually the person in the costume is "real" so an indirect answer can always be "Sure thats a real being." I mean we all don't tell our children the specifics of intercourse when they are at a young and impressionable age. Do they need the specifics of costumes vs characters vs make believe? And as far as the lying about Santa and the Easter Bunny and such....they are real. Ask any parent staying up late at night finishing up wrapping presents, decorating eggs or listening to hear if a bedroom door is being opened. I am a real individual. They can have faith and trust in me. And also believe in God and Jesus at the same time. I'm not lying about any of it.

May I ask how old are your children?

I still insist that Santa is real and so is Mickey Mouse. My oldest is 14 and very active in Church and Youth for Christ.

I think your kids will realize it as soon as they seem him! I don't think you need to spill the beans - it will be obvious.

I have to agree with the pp, I would think at your kids ages that they know full well that they are just characters and people inside of suits and costumes. My youngest was just under 5 when we went our first time, he knew.

I hate to say it but as for the whole God, Santa, Easter Bnny thing- they may grow up and not believe He is real either. You can't see him and I know many adults who do not really believe even though they were raised to. They are also not angry about having SC and EB as part of their childhood...just a thought.
As for the characters, well, they are old enough that they should figure it out on their own. I also don't see the harm in letting them have a little make believe once in a while. It's not like they are going to think that every Mouse they meet will be over 5 feet tall.

Why ruin the magic? I would just not tell them anything about it either way. They will figure it out. And if you tell them, they may say something in line and upset another child. I understand that you feel it is lying to your children. But many of us don't feel that way and don't tell our young children. This is just my opinion and not meant to offend. I sent my DS to Catholic school and even they didn't tell the kids Santa isn't real. They did teach the story of Christ and the origins of Saint Nicholas without ruining the magic of it all for the kids.

Yup at those ages...you definitely won't have to say a word. My DD figured it out at 4 without anyone saying anything to her. Kids are observant. They can see the zippers ;)

Do they think that shows on TV are real? That dogs can talk and dinosaurs are purple? That giant mice wear big shoes and polka dot dresses?

IMHO, at their ages they will ask if it bothers them, I wouldn't offer the information. Let them enjoy the magic of it without pointing out that it's not real.

I say let them figure it out for themselves. Eventually, they have to make up their own minds about any number of issues whether it relates to faith or not. Kids are smarter than many of us give them credit for.

First thing---ease up on yourself! We can only do the best we can do when it comes to our children. Your friends need to let up a little bit, too. I'm sorry they're giving your such a hard time about something that's pretty clearly important to you.

The tactic we've decided on for those things -- Santa, Easter Bunny, ToothFairy -- We regard them as characters in stories and we talk about them like that. For example, at Christmas, we never said Santa brought anything, but did watch specials and talk about Santa stories. They are cultural icons for us. We'll allow the kid to come to his own conclusions, but if we're asked directly we will be gently honest (and mention that other kids may believe, so it's best to keep the truth to yourself).

I think that one way to handle the characters might be the same kind of tactic. You don't NEED to tell them the stark truth for fear they will believe in what they see if you don't. They likely know, and if they want to suspend disbelief for a little bit when coming face to face with their friend Mickey, let them. Deep down they know what's real and true, but allowing them the freedom to pretend if they want to will make their experience all the richer.

I think your kids are more than old enough to know or be told that a character is just that: "a costumed character."
Honestly I don't get how this is a "magic killer" ?? I know they are 'not real' and still love to get my pix with them, talk to them, get autographs. It didn't even cross my mind to say anything about the characters on our last trip (the kids were 5 and 7) and I'm pretty sure they "knew" and they still loved the meet and greets and character meals.
Do what works for you. It's not a big deal.

I also believe your kids will probably know it's not a real mouse but I have a unique perspective on the whole Santa issue.

My husband attended and graduated from a Baptist seminary several years ago. He asked one of his professors his opinon on letting kids believe in Santa or not. There was a lot of discussion with some people thinking kids should never believe in Santa. His professor told him he thought that believing in Santa Claus and other such things was a great lesson in faith. Usually during the ages when kids do believe in Santa, they are too young to fully understand the real meaning of Christmas. They might be able to repeat back to you that Christ was born to save us from our sins, but it's a tough concept for anyone especially a small child. He said he thought believing in Santa gave them something to believe in until they could grasp a larger concept.

JMHO

I was about 5 when we went to Disneyland the first time. It never occured to me to think a giant costumed mouse was "real." :confused3

I was slightly older than that when we went to Sea World and a man in a gorilla costume entertaining the crowds at a show grabbed at me and I screamed. They immediately announced over the loudspeaker that the gorilla was not real. I was mortified to think people thought I thought he was real. I simply screamed because a man in a costume was grabbing at me. Over 40 years later and I still remember how insulted I was.

One of your children has autism, right? I guarantee that child KNOWS (or will, as soon as he/she sees the character) that they are people in costumes. My son with autism figured it out at, like 1.5 years old. He had seen Mickey on t.v. and stuff, and one day at Disneyland, I said to him "look, there's Mickey Mouse!" all excited like, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I think his inner dialogue went something like this (based on his facial expression)..."that's OBVIOUSLY not the same mouse I see on t.v. This one is WAY bigger and he is walking around like a person."

He has NEVER been a believer in the "imaginary". Many autistic children cannot grasp that concept. They only process what they actually see and can touch, etc. My son doesn't play pretend games, he is VERY literal, and if I run around acting like an animal and say "I'm a bear...GROOOOOWL!!!" he, at the ripe age of 5, says to me "that's a silly mommy, bears have fur!"

So, for US, although we believe in God, Christ, etc, our children do not really think the characters are "real." They know they are people, but that doesn't stop my younger son from being in LOVE with Mickey, and running up to hug Pluto at any chance and saying "nice puppy" while he snuggles in. :) My older son, though, stays away from the characters for the most part. I don't think he understands WHY he should go stand next to one.

My children have gone to Disney since they were babies. We have never had a conversation as to whether the characters are real or not. In November we had friends with us and it was their DD4's first trip. They were so excited for her to see the characters. The first morning at breakfast Mickey walked in the dining room and their DD literally dove under the table and started screaming. Even louder when Mickey looked under the table at her. My DD7 went under the table and said "Chloee, it's okay, don't be scared. It's just some big kid like John (her DB) in a costume." I never told DD that, but she knew.

and no, you aren't lying to them by not explaining it all to them ahead of time. Unless one of them has asked you point blank, I wouldn't even bring it up. It's make believe. An important part of childhood.

The tactic we've decided on for those things -- Santa, Easter Bunny, ToothFairy -- We regard them as characters in stories and we talk about them like that. For example, at Christmas, we never said Santa brought anything, but did watch specials and talk about Santa stories. They are cultural icons for us. We'll allow the kid to come to his own conclusions, but if we're asked directly we will be gently honest (and mention that other kids may believe, so it's best to keep the truth to yourself).

I think that one way to handle the characters might be the same kind of tactic. You don't NEED to tell them the stark truth for fear they will believe in what they see if you don't.

This is the way we've always handled it with Santa etc. Our kids know that the characters at Disney are TV/Movie characters. We've never really had to talk about it.

Of course Mickey is real! How can the experience of high-fiving Mickey or hugging Minnie be enjoyable if you don't pretend a little bit...

I still insist that Santa is real even to my older teens. They know Santa isn't real... but they just smile and laugh and play the game... after all, they want presents don't they?

I knew someone once who didn't put gifts under the tree from Santa, instead, they were from Jesus..... well Jesus isn't coming in the middle of the night in a sleigh either. So, I don't think that's any different either. To me Christmas is two celebrations... There's the religious celebration and there's the holiday celebration (Santa, Christmas tree, lights, etc.). The two don't have to be confused and having fun with Santa and Christmas decorations isn't being unfaithful. I have friends who are Jewish who celebrate the holiday part of Christmas...well because it's fun.

I think the same about Halloween. I don't think I'm going to hell because I dressed up like a pirate and went trick or treating at Mickey's Halloween party at Magic Kingdom. It was just good fun.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a little bit of imagination and pretend. My DS is 4 and knows "there's a person in there" but it doesn't take away the fun of pretending and meeting characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter