A question I just have to ask ( its eating away at me)

On his first trip to Disney my then 6 year old asked me to buy him an autograph book -- so I did. He then asked me to "sign" the names of the characters he saw from a distance. I told him this would be forgery and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "Either YOU can pretend you're Mickey Mouse and write his name or HE (pointing at the character) can pretend he's Mickey Mouse and write his name. There's no line for you. What's the difference?"

I bought him the autograph stickers as a compromise!

His trip wasn't any less magical than if he'd "believed". He loved seeing the characters, just not the lines, and loved everything else about the trip.

My point is that most 6 year olds will figure it out fast.

I love this. Too funny.

On his first trip to Disney my then 6 year old asked me to buy him an autograph book -- so I did. He then asked me to "sign" the names of the characters he saw from a distance. I told him this would be forgery and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "Either YOU can pretend you're Mickey Mouse and write his name or HE (pointing at the character) can pretend he's Mickey Mouse and write his name. There's no line for you. What's the difference?"

I bought him the autograph stickers as a compromise!

His trip wasn't any less magical than if he'd "believed". He loved seeing the characters, just not the lines, and loved everything else about the trip.

My point is that most 6 year olds will figure it out fast.

I also love this story, it reallly made me laugh.

We are not religous so that helps with our inner debates on the subject of the forementioned "characters"

That said though if asked my standard line is "what do you think"

I certainly can't remember the point when I found out that Santa Claus wasn't real, obviously I did at some point but it didn't have a scaring affect on me.

Kirsten

Your kids are 10, 9, and 6. I doubt you will have to tell them anything. These are not small children who don't understand what a cartoon is.

I agree. When you said they were small children, I was expecting them to be under 3. At those ages, I'm pretty sure they already know about Mickey Mouse, or will know as soon as they see him.

Every time this comes up it gets controversial. I just didn't think I would have to deal with it in late February! :lmao:

People are passionate about which time of the fence they are on!

I think if your children start asking, answer honestly. I think that is what we are supposed to do as parents. It doesn't mean we go out of our way to ruin the magic, but we can tell them it is pretend and fun.

Dawn

I like what the PP said about Santa Claus (and other make-believe characters) being a type of faith children can wrap their mind around. When asked about who Santa is, we tell our children that he is a lovely old man who loved Jesus so much that he gives all the children gifts every year in remembrance of Him.

When my DD (now 17) was younger, alot of the kids in her class had been told "the truth" about Santa Claus, she would argue with them and say "Yes, there is a Santa Claus, cause there is no way my mommy can afford to buy all the things that Santa Claus brings me."

We say the same thing about Santa. He loves Jesus and Christmas so much and that he wants to share his joy and celebrate by brings gifts to children on Christmas. and he leaves three gifts for each, just as the Wise Men brought three gifts.

Just ask my oldest about believing. One year he was so mad at me for "lying" to him that he insisted there wasn't a Santa, wouldn't go for his annual picture or anything. I warned him to think carefully about what he was saying but he wouldn't budge. That year Santa didn't bring him anything,:sad2: he only got the boring stuff that Mom and Dad give. :scared1: He is 24 now and will tell you there is a Santa. Santa brings the good stuff that Mom and Dad can't afford and refuse to buy. :thumbsup2

My oldest is very sensitive too. We couldn't grasp why Santa would love us more than the poor kid down the street, so were let in on the secret early.

I consider myself fairly religious. I think imagination is a wonderful thing. And even if dealing with a literal minded child, Jesus and the prophets taught big lessons in stories and in parables. As parents and teachers, we can do the same without fear. If it's done with love, the love shines through more than the hard facts.

My problem with Disney fantasy right now with my kids is the oldest thinks she should get a job as an actress there right out of school. Problem is, I have a dear friend that did just that (well, out of college). As a young Disney freak, I wanted to be an animator. Until a boyfriend pointed out every one of them was male.

We do Santa. I am a christian too. Many in my church and my sons school don't do Santa. I have always felt it was a personal choice. No big deal. However, I did tell my son that the characters were people in costumes. I did this because he was really afraid of them. It was just easier to tell him. I don't believe that it ruined our experience. We still have fun getting pictures with them!!!!

Our kids have always been told that the characters are just people in costumes. They pretend they are real on their own. :)

Do we tell them about easter bunnies, santa, and the tooth fairy. Yes, but DW insists. I struggle with it personally. So when they ask me questions I tell them I'm santa, or I'm the easter bunny, or I'm the tooth fairy. They never believe me. :rotfl2: So day the figure it all out and I will say, "I told you I was he." :goodvibes

every kid is different. My friend told her daughter, because she was terrified of the characters, any characters, including Easter bunny. They just got back from the dcl & had a wonderful time. Pictures the whole nine yards.

I respect your views, but please explain to your children that to some people, children & adults Santa, etc is real, as real as the love, compassion, giving attitude that they represent. I am a devote Christian. I had a turkey food basket delivered to my house when times were tough. And I have delivered Christmas to other families when things were tough for them. I believe in Santa Claus....he just doesn't always look the same.

Which ever you decide. I truly hope you and your family have a magical, spiritual experience onyour vacation. :)

A 6yo who knows the truth about Santa doesn't need to be told that Mickey & friends are costumed characters. I'd let it go without comment unless one of the kids point-blank asks, because at that age they understand the difference between real and make believe but still like to get caught up in the make believe.

My mom didn't believe in "lying" to my sibs and I and told us early on that Santa and the Easter Bunny weren't real, for the same reasons teh OP listed. I made a point to do the opposite when my dd was little and am very glad that she was able to enjoy the excitement of waiting for Santa for a few years before she figured it out on her own. We are Catholic and in no way diminish the importance of Christ at Christmas and Easter. I just think there should be room for some childhood magic. She never questioned the Disney characters but if she did, I would have fibbed. Today, she has fond memories if when Santa came and doesn't feel she was lied to.

My kids told me! Don't worry, they know but if they ask you, be honest. Otherwise, let people choose to pretend if they want to believe in the magic.

Just curious.....when you and your DH were little, did either of you believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy?
My children believe in Christ and know that December 25th is his birthday and we celebrate at mass.
But at the same time, we did let them believe in Santa and all the others.
Guess what? They no longer believe in Santa, bunny, etc. yet they still believe in Jesus Christ.....go figure!

LOL!! I just asked my 12 year old daughter if she's mad at me because I 'lied' to her about Santa not being real and she just laughed at me and said I'm 'weird'. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter