A Reservation Procedure/System Must Be In Place for Galaxy's Edge @ DHS

I'm sorry,

But it is absolutely shocking to me that so many of you seem okay with any type of 'free-for-all', 'line up and wait until the park it at capacity', 'Virtual Que' solution to Galaxy's Edge. For a laundry list of reasons it WILL NOT work. I guess everyone needs to just see it to believe it. Shocking!

If it is anything other then some closely comparable solution used at Disney Land, it will be an unmitigated disaster.

Need recent proof?..................Universal Studios: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. 6 hour+ waits..................for one ride.

Star Wars crushes Harry Potter when it comes to popularity/crowds etc.
If I’m not mistaken those first few days Hagrids was not running at full capacity those first few days and is still having some issues. They also have weather closures to deal with which inflated those waits even higher. That’s not really something SWGE will have to deal with.

I'm sorry,

But it is absolutely shocking to me that so many of you seem okay with any type of 'free-for-all', 'line up and wait until the park it at capacity', 'Virtual Que' solution to Galaxy's Edge. For a laundry list of reasons it WILL NOT work. I guess everyone needs to just see it to believe it. Shocking!

If it is anything other then some closely comparable solution used at Disney Land, it will be an unmitigated disaster.

Need recent proof?..................Universal Studios: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. 6 hour+ waits..................for one ride.

The only time we have ever gone to Universal to experience the original Harry Potter land, we were handed a paper slip which included when we would be allowed into the land. We didn't have to wait in line to get into the park, we didn't have to wait in line to walk up and get our 'return time' for lack of a better term. Once we were able to get into the land, there were some lines, mostly for Butter Beer and to buy wands, but it was an enjoyable time.

Virtual Queues are just the same, only they are electronic. The only people who will be waiting in long lines to get into the land will be those who choose to line up early to be in the land as soon as the park opens. If people choose to wait in line before the park opens for hours to get in right away, that is their choice. If people choose to wait until later to try and get in, they are risking that all the return times have been distributed.

The fact that you would need to be physically in the park in order to receive a return time makes this about as fair and equitable as possible. And, if they manage the number of people in the land properly, the wait for the attractions should be very manageable. There are going to be people who get locked out and they will be understandably disappointed.

The take away, is that it is waiting in line for hours before park opening or risking not being allowed to enter the park, it is all personal choice. With the number of people who go to WDW on a daily basis, I struggle to see what else would work as well as the virtual queue.

I'm sorry,

I don't know if I'd say that everyone is "ok" with it. They made their decision and there's nothing anyone can do about it until we see how it works in practice. If it's a disaster, hopefully they make changes. I don't know what we're supposed to do otherwise, it's not like Disney is going to listen to people on a message board who think they're making a bad decision here.

If I’m not mistaken those first few days Hagrids was not running at full capacity those first few days and is still having some issues. They also have weather closures to deal with which inflated those waits even higher. That’s not really something SWGE will have to deal with.
correct, and it's still not running at full capacity and it has been thunderstorming everyday. I just came back and was able to ride using the single rider line in 45 minutes. The standby was 180 min.
Plus SWGE is a whole land not just a ride so it will absorb A LOT more people

I'm still in the camp that WDW will have some sort of reservation system for SWGE when it opens.
To have the level in interactivity they want, you cannot have the land shoulder to shoulder people.

I'm still in the camp that WDW will have some sort of reservation system for SWGE when it opens.
To have the level in interactivity they want, you cannot have the land shoulder to shoulder people.

100% HAS TO BE THIS!

I read someone mentioning that SWGE can 'absorb' the extra crowds because it is more than just one ride. My apologies, but that is very shortsighted.

Has anyone paid any attention to the size of the other attractions that will be in Galaxy's Edge? .... not including the actual rides!!! Everything is very small and intimate, very low capacity to 'absorb' anyone, thus equaling more lines!

It's one thing to have differing opinions on whether or not WDW will have a reservation system in place, that is fine of course.

It's another thing altogether to think that it is okay that WDW doesn't implement it, and just assume everything will work out! Crazy stuff.

100% HAS TO BE THIS!

I read someone mentioning that SWGE can 'absorb' the extra crowds because it is more than just one ride. My apologies, but that is very shortsighted.

Has anyone paid any attention to the size of the other attractions that will be in Galaxy's Edge? .... not including the actual rides!!! Everything is very small and intimate, very low capacity to 'absorb' anyone, thus equaling more lines!

It's one thing to have differing opinions on whether or not WDW will have a reservation system in place, that is fine of course.

It's another thing altogether to think that it is okay that WDW doesn't implement it, and just assume everything will work out! Crazy stuff.
There's is no need for a reservation system to accomplish a comfortable crowd level inside the land.
They do this by limiting the number of people in the land. They do this all the time, almost everyday during busy season at Hogsmead in Universal. They have barricades out and only allow the number of people in that the land can hold and still be comfortable for guests to enjoy, as people leave they allow more in. They did this in Pandora, this is what they'll do in SWGE
That's why the land will have a capacity number, known to management and they will allow people in as they see fit by that number

They definitely need something to limit the # of people in the land - but that can be done with a queue (virtual or standard) - you don't *need* a reservation system to accomplish that

Disney World guests have been so conditioned to needing to make reservations way in advanced that it is almost inconceivable that there could be a day of system to manage crowds.

If they manage the influx of guests into SWGE via the virtual queue, I think the experience will be fine. There may be a wait for the rides (although not outrageous), and reservations for building lightsabers and the cantina will be necessary, but the crowd will remain manageable as long as the flow of guests into the land remains controlled.

I think that most (not all) people will, be ready to move on after a few hours in SWGE.

I may be totally wrong, but having to make yet another reservation in advance, just to get into SWGE seem like the wrong direction. Just my opinion, it isn't necessarily right, it may not be wrong.

Ya okay.... You realize Harry Potter has pulled in basically the same movie revenue? Star Wars being more popular I am fine with but crushes is way overselling it.

WILL NOT work.

Enlighten us how it will not work? Show up early enough and get in a virtual queue and do other stuff until you can enter. See the virtual queue is full before going to HS then just hit another park for the day.

They don't even need return times they could just do an approximate time and could be extra cautious. There could be a wait list for unlikely to enter that people can enter at their own discression.

Plenty of ways they can get this to work. Not to mention launching the land during the slowest time of the whole year.

You just limit the number of people let in... It's a virtual line not an automatic get to go in card.

Also at this point how can you tell people who dropped 1k, 2k, 5k, or more on a trip specifically for Star Wars that they are now choosing to make it so they won't get in that park?

Virtual lines are so easy not sure what's not to understand. Want to get in quicker show up earlier before it fills or when the virtual queue is not as long. Someone wants it bad enough they just get up earlier.

Last edited:
Enlighten us how it will not work? Show up early enough and get in a virtual queue and do other stuff until you can enter. See the virtual queue is full before going to HS then just hit another park for the day.

Look, I get your overall point and somewhat agree with you, but you're way oversimplifying it on this particular point.

I think for the first three weeks minimum at HS, you're going to literally have to line up at 1 a.m. in order to get a spot in the virtual queue. There's no way you're going to be able to just "show up early enough." If WDW limits the logistics of this thing to just a virtual queue, I guarantee we're going to see new stories showing people camped out outside the gates of HS every night for weeks.

You didn't see that happen at DL because they controlled the chaos with a soft-opening that was anchored by a reservation system. If WDW doesn't follow suit, it's just not going to run as smoothly, virtual queue or not.

Look, I get your overall point and somewhat agree with you, but you're way oversimplifying it on this particular point.

I think for the first three weeks minimum at HS, you're going to literally have to line up at 1 a.m. in order to get a spot in the virtual queue. There's no way you're going to be able to just "show up early enough." If WDW limits the logistics of this thing to just a virtual queue, I guarantee we're going to see new stories showing people camped out outside the gates of HS every night for weeks.

You didn't see that happen at DL because they controlled the chaos with a soft-opening that was anchored by a reservation system. If WDW doesn't follow suit, it's just not going to run as smoothly, virtual queue or not.

1am..................no way no how, for me........

It is going to interesting to see how Disney does indeed handle things, there is no way they are going to let people line up for days to get in, in the summer heat and humidity, that is a PR nightmare....Certainly WDW has a gameplan in the works other then EEMH, if not SWGE is going to be a huge mess.....

Ya.... Okay.....

16 hours a day, at least 4000 people in the land at a time (land is bigger than DL supposedly right?), 4 hours in the land on average, 16,000 people daily

Sorry but you are not going to have 16,000 people lining up at 1am every day for weeks. Especially when those 16,000 people would be onsite guests of which if WDW completely sells out (right now its far from that it seems based on resort/room availability) its 30,000 rooms with 3 people per room (on the high side) equaling 90,000 resort guests with an average stay of 4 days and 1 park each day leaving 22,500 resort guests looking at going to HS daily.

I am not over simplifying anything you are just trying to purposely make it more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone who would be willing to show up at 1AM daily for weeks would be in California this summer going to basically the exact same land.

Lots of locals will want to show up but a reservation system would not account for them anyways because it would have to go to resort guests anyhow. The resort guests get the 3 hours in the morning to get in to the land or hit the virtual line before the normal public even has a chance. Locals are getting their crack at the land with the limited previews they are going to do.

1am..................no way no how, for me........

It is going to interesting to see how Disney does indeed handle things, there is no way they are going to let people line up for days to get in, in the summer heat and humidity, that is a PR nightmare....Certainly WDW has a gameplan in the works other then EEMH, if not SWGE is going to be a huge mess.....
They allowed people to camp out over night every year during sww , so they've done it before. No nightmare, everyone was civil.
Some people would camp out overnight from Thursday night after the park closed all the way through Sunday. .
They would sleep out Thursday into Friday do sww all day, camp out Friday into Saturday, do sww all day and camp out Saturday into Sunday and do sww all day

Ya.... Okay.....

16 hours a day, at least 4000 people in the land at a time (land is bigger than DL supposedly right?), 4 hours in the land on average, 16,000 people daily

Sorry but you are not going to have 16,000 people lining up at 1am every day for weeks. Especially when those 16,000 people would be onsite guests of which if WDW completely sells out (right now its far from that it seems based on resort/room availability) its 30,000 rooms with 3 people per room (on the high side) equaling 90,000 resort guests with an average stay of 4 days and 1 park each day leaving 22,500 resort guests looking at going to HS daily.

I am not over simplifying anything you are just trying to purposely make it more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone who would be willing to show up at 1AM daily for weeks would be in California this summer going to basically the exact same land.

Lots of locals will want to show up but a reservation system would not account for them anyways because it would have to go to resort guests anyhow. The resort guests get the 3 hours in the morning to get in to the land or hit the virtual line before the normal public even has a chance. Locals are getting their crack at the land with the limited previews they are going to do.

I am sure the first two days, when those extra hours are open to everyone, will be a little nuts and people will camp out early ... but I really think once we get a week or two into it, it won't be crazy. Crowded I am sure and people will show up before 6 but it's not going to be a zoo for months and months

Ya okay.... You realize Harry Potter has pulled in basically the same movie revenue? Star Wars being more popular I am fine with but crushes is way overselling it.

They don't even need return times they could just do an approximate time and could be extra cautious. There could be a wait list for unlikely to enter that people can enter at their own discression.

Plenty of ways they can get this to work. Not to mention launching the land during the slowest time of the whole year.

You do realize that your reply basically agrees with my post right? :rotfl2:. I could care less about revenue, I'm only only referring to overall popularity (I have never mentioned revenue once) which is the basis of this entire thread. And yes, StarWars CRUSHES Harry Potter. I am in no way crazed StarWars fan or a Harry Potter fan, just stating facts. So Thank you for agreeing with me. :thumbsup2

And as fiasco32 said: "You didn't see that happen at DL because they controlled the chaos with a soft-opening that was anchored by a reservation system. If WDW doesn't follow suit, it's just not going to run as smoothly, virtual queue or not.", Completely agree, all the talk of how well DL opened is because of how organised/strict the first few weeks are.

Paid (and probably expensive) reservation system at WDW is the only way to avoid a complete mess. It has to be paid due to number of on-site guests on a first come, first serve basis.

Unfortunately, a harsh reality, that it seems many people are having a hard time digesting/understanding is the following: Just because you have booked a trip to WDW after August 29 does not mean you are entitled to gaining access to SWGE. As mentioned before 88 million WDW visitors last year (and only increasing after GE opens) proves my point entirely and is the only math needed. The virtual que mathematics I'm reading in this thread are so short-sighted and reality of it being it just won't work!

just stating facts

So please show me these facts as I showed you actual numbers? Oh well you will just keep stating the word facts enough to try and trick people.

your reply basically agrees with my post right?

Okay good you agree then just a virtual line is enough glad we are on the same page.

And as fiasco32 said: "You didn't see that happen at DL because

And you realize the reservation system will be gone for roughly 70 days prior to WDW opening? Meaning any crazed fans can go there (in the summer, when kids are off, when factory shutdowns are)? Those who are left might want to go a day or two specifically for SW but they wouldn't be camping out for weeks in any tangible number of people. Not to mention people are already booking FP+ for their trips that run through SW opening.

So again though you just state "it will not work" with nothing extra. I will go out on a pretty thick limb and state they will not have any meaningful reservation system just a virtual line. Don't like it? Don't plan on going.

Want to refute this come with an actual laid out issue to the system that is not already solved by them implementing a virtual line which can allow on site guests a leg up to get in to the land and off site guests an actual path if it's a slow day for on-site guests.

I am sure the first two days, when those extra hours are open to everyone, will be a little nuts and people will camp out early ...

I have no doubt that weekend will be packed with long lines. Disney wants that though those first couple days just like how Universal didn't do a virtual line the first day to allow for the news story on every channel.

I wouldnt be suprised to hear Disney incentivize people to camp out for opening day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter