• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Salute to All Vacations… But Mostly This Sorta-Solo One! – August 2022 TR - NEW 2/15

Continued from Previous Post!

Snapped this pic while waiting in line!

We walked off at 3:03. They did a great job with this ride!! M recounted it recently to her family and recalled the immersiveness of it. It was our first time on a trackless system so I thought that was cool.

I snapped a pic of the Skyliner. I’ve never been on, so maybe I will make that a “must-do” for next trip.

Now we were on a mission. M and I were looking over the F&W guidebook while we were back in Mexico and M saw something that had caught her eye. It was the Guinness Baileys Coffee Shake from the Ireland booth. M likes coffee, Baileys, and Guinness so that was her must do.

She seemed pretty pleased with it. She let me try it and I thought it was fine. Not bad not great. Peep the cooling towel.

At this point we were just moseying. Our reservation at Tutto Italia wasn’t until 5:30 and it was only a bit past 3 at this point. So wandering we went.

First stop was Morocco.

We walked around the back alleyways of Morocco, which to me is one of the most “immersive” areas of World Showcase. It really feels like you are in another country. M and I agreed that we would like to go to Morocco one day.

Continuing on to Japan, we stopped again to get a Teriyaki Bao Bun. We had these on our last trip to F&W and really loved it.

For some reason, these weren’t as good as I remembered them being. They were kinda cold with not as much flavor. Oh well. We munched on these while walking through the Mitsukoshi Department Store.

At this point we were both hot and tired of being on our feet. We decided to see if Tokyo Dining could seat us so we could order drinks and sushi. We trudged up the stairs and asked how long the wait would be. They said it would be a 10-15 minute wait. It was 3:45 at that point and we just needed a break so we waited.

Continued in next post!

It was all of 15 minutes until we were brought back to the table. Kinda surprising because it wasn’t that busy but I understand how it can be when it looks empty but there is only enough staff to tend to a few tables. Here was a view from our table by the window.

I know we had dinner reservations in a little over an hour, but when in Japan….

We ordered a spicy crunch roll.

Yummy. Not as good as the sushi we had at Morimotos but still good. And you can’t eat and not drink….

I got the Tokyo Sunset and M got the Japanese Breeze. Maybe the other way around, but I remember both of them had coconut rum and pineapple. Both were good.

So at this point I have to mention that as we were eating we stated talking about Magic Bands. Mine was a limited edition band from Pandora M had gotten me on our last trip to commemorate our first ride on FoP. I love it because it is pretty, from M, and represents a special memory. I'll share pics later in the TR. M had commented that hers was lame. It was one you used to be able to order before your trip and it had Dory on it. During our conversation we questioned what the most expensive Magic Band out there was. We surfed through Ebay just for fun to look at some of the most expensive Magic Bands for sale.

All of this to say, this comes up later at dinner so just keep that convo in mind.

So after an appetizer and drinks, we left around 4:35.

We found our first (and only of the trip) photopass photographer. I asked him to take some pics on my cell phone.

You can see my shirt has Sam Eagle on it and says "A Salute to All Nations but Mostly America". This part of MuppetVision cracks me up, hence the inspo for my trip report title!

We continued to make our way around the world until it was time for dinner.

Next: Germany, Dinner in Italy, China, and Norway

I like your trip title. :)

Riverside is one of our favorite resorts. We've stayed in Magnolia Bend but prefer Alligator Bayou. I like all the vegetation. :)

How long did you have to wait in the virtual cue for GotG? The virtual cues for Remy were always really long.

Those who have been, feel free to share your experiences!

We had reservations at the 220 Lounge and the best part was the "ride" to the space station. It reminded me of Coral Reef. We didn't have a meal, just drinks and an appetizer. It was a "once and done" experience for us. It was nice to have done it but need to go back again. :)

I like your trip title. :)

Riverside is one of our favorite resorts. We've stayed in Magnolia Bend but prefer Alligator Bayou. I like all the vegetation. :)

How long did you have to wait in the virtual cue for GotG? The virtual cues for Remy were always really long.

We had reservations at the 220 Lounge and the best part was the "ride" to the space station. It reminded me of Coral Reef. We didn't have a meal, just drinks and an appetizer. It was a "once and done" experience for us. It was nice to have done it but need to go back again. :)
Thank you!

Riverside is one of my favorites too! I stayed in the royal rooms one year and enjoyed that. I may have to try Alligator Bayou next time!

My notes say that we tapped into GotG at 10:10 and walked off at 10:45. I would say close to 20ish minutes to get to the reshow section. Not bad.

Thanks for sharing your 220 experience! I will make it a must-do for next time!

Hi everyone!

I am so sorry for the prolonged absence, but it’s been crazy around here! M got a new job that has transfers her/us to Charleston! This is so exciting because this is something that we have been working toward for a long time. We have found a house and plan to close the beginning of December so you can understand why I have been away for so long. Buying a house is no joke! I hope to update more frequently but these times are crazy. Thanks for sticking with me!

That being said, let’s go back to a warm Epcot day in August….

8/20 – Saturday– Germany, Dinner in Italy, China, and Harmonious

Where we left off we had just finished up pre-dinner appetizers/drinks in Japan. Dinner wasn’t for another hour so we continued around World Showcase. We passed American Adventure (nothing much to see there, sorry) and Italy (we would be returning for dinner) and spent time in Germany. M’s family (great-grandparents specifically) is from Germany so we wanted to spend some significant time in there.

We walked in the area behind Karamelle-Kuche that has the shops and stopped inside the Weinkeller. This indoor bar is small and easy to miss, but is full of German wines and spirits. You can purchase samples of the drinks before purchase, so we jumped in line. We wanted to try this liquor that had a full-sized pear inside because duh! Look at this thing, how could you not?

1/10. Would not recommend. I can’t really describe it, but it was not pear forward and tough to choke down. But 10/10 for the experience!

We also tried some wine based on which bottle we thought was the coolest. We enjoyed both of them and would end up coming back to buy bottles after dinner. Until then, here is M with her German wine!

Wine in hand, we went on to check out the gift shop. Here we found a nutcracker that we thought M’s mom would really like. Her parents went on vacation to Germany this year and visited an old-school cuckoo clock maker. Her mom also collects nutcrackers and puts them out for Christmas. So how perfect was this…

His clock even works! We thought about getting this for her mom as a gift, but ultimately decided against it. But we took pics of the label, and we will likely end up ordering it here soon to give to her mom for Christmas.

It was almost 5:20 at this point so we walked over to the Italy pavilion and checked in a lil early for our 5:30 reservation at Tutto Italia.

Don’t hate me because I actually don’t have any pics from this dinner. None. And here’s why….

So if you will remember back in Japan M and I were scrolling on Ebay to see what the most expensive Magic Band of sale was. We had a laugh about it and moved on. Well as soon as we sat down for dinner M checked her phone and had an email from Ebay. Long story short it said “Thank you for your purchase! To confirm your order, please fill out this additional information”. TURNS OUT SHE ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT A $5,500 HADES MAGIC BAND! She did 100% not mean to order it and we think she probably accidently selected “Buy Now” while having her phone in her hand and not paying attention.

M stepped out of the restaurant to call Ebay customer service. When she returned, she said that since she did not confirm the order, she did not have to pay and Ebay cancelled the order regardless. So, it was a lot of panic for nothing BUT STILL. We joked that if the payment had gone through we would have kept it in a glass display box for everyone to see when they came over. We laugh about it now, but it was anxiety inducing at the time. Hence the lack of pictures.

Anyways, M ordered the Manzo Brasato which is braised beef chuck short rib, Portobello mushroom ravioli, red wine sauce. I got the Chicken Parm. I was less than thrilled with my choice, but OMG was M’s meal delicious!! It was one of the best things we ate all trip. I helped her finish her meal and we paid and left around 6:45.

Continued in next post!

It was about to rain but we headed back to Germany to pick up bottles of the wine we liked. No pics in Disney but I did take pics when we got home.

This rose we gave to her sister as a thank you for watching our cat.

This other one we liked so much we bought two bottles for ourselves. It’s a pinot noir with a mild cherry flavor. The bottle was so cool and hand painted. We already drank one bottle but are saving the other for a special occasion.

After we bought our bottles we went to get dessert at Karamelle-Kuche.

M got a whoopie pie, as seen by my stylistic pic.

And I got a caramel butter bar.

We sat at a circular table and hate half of our treats. We were stuffed so we saved half of each for later. It was here where it started to rain so we donned ponchos and headed on to China.

Continued in next post!

In China we didn’t do much. We looked at the gift shop, mostly to avoid the rain, but then I started not to feel great. I think the heat, food, and alcohol started to hit me at that point like it did to M earlier in the day. We took a break on the steps in between two of the buildings in China.

It was 7:45 at this point and we decided to move on to Norway. After taking a glance inside the Norway shops, I told M I needed to lay down for a minute because I wasn’t feeling well. I found a bench to lay down on and M went inside and explored the Stave Church exhibit. At this point I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stay for Harmonious. On one hand I really REALLY wanted to see it because I hadn’t before and knew I wouldn’t be back later in the week. On the other, I REALLY wasn’t feeling well.

We walked toward the exit and stopped for a sit at Port of Entry. I decided to push through because I wanted to see the show so bad. Plus it was about 45-minutes till show start and I could sit till then. M was supportive of either decision at that point.

Here is a picture of our spot.

M ran and got two waters for me while we waited. I started to feel better by show start and boy was I happy I stayed!

Continued in next post!

Pics aren’t great but you get the point.

Anyways, I loved the show and was really glad I made the decision to stay. My favorite parts were the songs from the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Princess and the Frog. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is such an underrated movie but reminds me so much of my childhood. I had an Esmeralda doll that I took everywhere with me so that part was specifically nostalgic. Again, super happy that I stayed. Now time to fight the crowds toward the exit.

We pulled out at 9:29 and pulled into the hotel at 9:42. Talk about an easy drive!

We got back to the hotel and at that point both M and I were not feeling well. Maybe it was something we ate, but we were both struggling after a long day. We didn’t have to get up till about 9 the next day so it was nice to know we could sleep in a little, but let me just say it was a rough night. Spoiler – we felt 100% better in the AM.

Next: Brunch at Disney Springs, Typhoon Lagoon, and Dinner at Ohana

Enjoying your trip report! But buying a house is a huge event for most folks- take your time- most of us check back frequently:-)

You can drink that other bottle of wine when you move in to your new house, that's a special occasion!
Thank you! We haven't opened it yet, but lots of champagne was drank in celebration!
Enjoying your trip report! But buying a house is a huge event for most folks- take your time- most of us check back frequently:-)
Thanks so much for joining. Its been a wild ride thus far but I appreciate anyone who sticks with me!
Best wishes on your new home! Really enjoying your trip report!
Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Hi everyone! I apologize, again, for the long absence. M and I are getting settled in our new home so it’s been a whirlwind, especially with the holidays and some other unexpected life happenings. But I am more than willing to teak a break to relive fond memories of months past. So without further ado…

8/21 – Sunday– Disney Springs

It’s a new day and we woke up feeling great. Our plans today were to go to Disney Springs for breakfast, spend the afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon, then have dinner at one of my favorite spots on property.

We woke up around 9am today. The drive over to Disney Springs was quick and uneventful. It is kind of shocking how empty DS is in the morning!

Is it just me, or is it prettier in the daytime?

Anyways, soon we were checking in at Homecomin’! This was a new to me (and M) restaurant, but I had heard great things about their brunch so I was excited to give it a try.

We were seated next to a window so this was our view.

To start, I ordered a watermelon mash (mule) and M got a blueberry mimosa.

Both were good but I preferred my drink.

To eat, M ordered the famous biscuit and I got the french toast. Sorry, no pictures. I think I get so excited when the food comes I forget to take pics. I know this makes me a bad trip reporter. Lol!

Both were good. Overall everything was good but nothing was outstanding. I would go back, but I’m also eager to try brunch at the Boathouse, especially the rolls! If you’ve had them, please let me know how they are because they look SO GOOD!

I digress…

Continued in next post!

Full of brunch we stopped to do a mini-photoshoot on the bridge.

Well I stopped and made M take the pictures. There were more, but I will spare y’all.

After that M wanted to look around for a new Magic Band. Specifically an affordable one after last night’s fiasco. Ha! We peeked in WoD and didn’t find much. A cast member told us to check out Pin Traders so we made our way over there. Nothing caught M’s eye so we bought a bottle of water and left. It was just after 11am and it was already hot. That means it was time to head to Typhoon Lagoon.

I snapped this picture leaving DS. I thought it was pretty good for being on my iPhone and in a moving car.

We pulled in and parked in the second lot, kinda far from the entrance. Oh well, that’s what you get for getting there an hour+ after opening.

After scanning in, we asked a cast member where to check in for our umbrella. That’s right, I reserved an umbrella for our few hours at TL. Why? Well, M already doesn’t like the heat and I knew all the good spots would be taken by the time we got there. I was right in that regard and overall I’m super happy with this decision.

We checked in at High and Dry Bar, which I thought was a little weird but we rolled with it. They gave us our wristbands and a map with our umbrella area circled. We ended up being umbrella #13 that overlooked the wave pool.

M seemed to like it!

Continued in next post!

Here was the view from the front of the umbrella section.

So this was actually the last photo I took at TL. I didn’t want my phone to get wet, duh, so I just put it away.

It was packed at TL that day, of course it being a weekend in August, so there was a small line to get a float at the lazy river. I’ll be honest, the lazy river was what I was looking forward to most at TL. I LOVE lazy rivers and really just wanted to spend time floating, so this is where when spent most (ok, all) of our time. Judge all you want, but I was super happy with this plan and don’t really regret not spending time waiting in line for slides or rides or anything.

The lazy river is surprisingly long, which I appreciated. That being said, we did the lazy river 2x before getting out to find a snack. We settled on chicken fingers to share. After our “lunch” we went to fight the crowds in the wave pool. Literally we got in and they were only doing the little waves. We waited and waited for what felt like 30 minutes for a “big” wave. Just as we stepped out the horn sounded, and one big wave came. Immediately after that the lifeguards had to clear the pool because someone was unwell. Not like sick, but we think they passed out in the wave pool. Since we could see from our umbrella, we saw the lady get pulled out then come to on shore. I hope she was ok.

Knowing everywhere else would be packed due to the wave pool closing, we went in search of a drink. We landed on something banana (can’t remember the name) and brought it back to the umbrella to just chill. I tanned and M sat under the umbrella. After the wave pool opened back up, we ended up going back to the lazy river. We did the lazy river 3 more times then packed up and left around 4:20 so we could get ready for dinner.

I know that sounds crazy to some, to buy tickets, rent an umbrella, then only be there for 5ish hours to do only the lazy river….but I had the best time! Vacation is for doing the things that make you happy and how you want to do them!

When we got back to the hotel we both showered and were in bed right before 5 to take a quick power nap and get geared up for dinner!

Next: Dinner at Ohana
& Fireworks

Vacation is for doing the things that make you happy and how you want to do them! So very true.... besides, 5 hours is a good amount of pool time for those of us who are not in the sunbelt....

Just found your report and can’t wait to read the rest. I think your time at TL sounds lovely! Congrats on your new house 😊

Vacation is for doing the things that make you happy and how you want to do them! So very true.... besides, 5 hours is a good amount of pool time for those of us who are not in the sunbelt....
It was definitely worth it to us!
Just found your report and can’t wait to read the rest. I think your time at TL sounds lovely! Congrats on your new house 😊
Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

8/21 – Sunday– Dinner at Ohana

After our post Typhoon Lagoon nap, we were up and out the door at 6:50pm. We pulled into the Polynesian at 7:05.

I stayed here with my family as a kid and I remember it being one of my favorite vacations! Being able to jump on the monorail, the Peter Pan kids club, I loved all of it and look back fondly on those memories. I would love to stay here again, but dang its expensive.

We were a little early for our reservation, so we stopped to take some pics.

We walked around the lobby for a bit before checking in. Side note, I miss the old lobby.

We checked in and walked over to the lounge to order some drinks while we waited.

I got a pina coLAVA and M got a mule. As soon as we ordered drinks our table was ready. I paid and met M at the table. We sat on the right side of the restaurant, which was new to me.

Continued in next post!

My pina co LAVA and a distracted M:

Then me:

Pineapple bread came then soon enough I got what I came for: THE NOODLES!!

Y’all, the noodles here amazing. Like I crave them all the time at home. The wings and pot stickers are also amazing.

After filling up on, arguably, the best part of the meal, the meat came. I didn’t take a picture but, honestly, the meat was underwhelming. It was good, but I just remember it being so much better. Last time I was at Ohana they still served everything “Brazilian Steakhouse” style, where they walked around with the meat on skewers. Now it is served family style, and I still felt like it tasted different too. The shrimp was probably my favorite of the meats.

Then the SECOND best part of the meal: Bread Pudding!!

Yum!

After our meal was over, I asked M what she liked best. She said the shrimp, pineapple bread, and the pot stickers. Um…. Did she even try the noodles!?! Haha, she did but for whatever reason they didn’t make the cut.

Overall, it was still really great and I love the ambiance, but it wasn’t as great as I remembered it. Oh well, I would still recommend it and go back.

Post meal we decided to walk around.

Continued in next post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter