A Salute to All Vacations… But Mostly This Sorta-Solo One! – August 2022 TR - NEW 2/15

Continued from Previous Post!

It was on my to-do list to check out Trader Sams, so we walked over. It was an hour and a half wait, so we declined putting our name on the list. The hostess even mentioned she wasn’t sure if we would make it before it closed. Oh well, something to do for the next trip.

Moving on, we headed to the beach to watch the fireworks. We made it just in time to watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

After that, I mentioned to M I wanted to get a better view of the castle before the fireworks started. She was like, “Why, I can see it right there.” I argued that I couldn’t because it was behind the trees. We went back and forth on this for a minute or two until I realized M was talking about Beast’s Castle, which you can see in the center of the next picture while Cinderella’s Castle is on the far left partially behind the trees.

Lol, classic non-Disneygoer mixup. We both laughed about this and moved over to the right for a better view of the “main” castle. Haha.

Soon enough it was showtime!

Continued in next post!

I took a bunch more pics, but they were blurry so I will spare you.

This was my first time seeing Enchantment, albeit from far away. I thought it was pretty good,. Not as good as Wishes, but not as bad as I have heard others say.

After the show we headed inside with the masses. It was 9:30 at this point. We stopped to take more pics in the lobby.

We also went into the gift shop to pick up a gift for M’s sister who was watching our cat and dog while we were gone. We settled on a tin of cookies for her, which she confirmed later to have enjoyed. We also picked out a magnet for ourselves, since we always get a magnet on vacation.

Souvenirs in hand we headed out. We needed to get gas, so M typed “gas” into Apple maps and set out. After a few minutes on the road, I could tell we were no longer in the ‘guest’ areas. It was super industrial. Turns out the GPS brought us to the gas fill up for Disney fleet vehicles (Disney Fuel). Another classic mixup. We ended up going to the Mobil station down the way, which was obviously a gas station frequented by cast members. We saw at least two filling up while we were there. Oh well, I always love to see other sides of Disney. I made a note gas was $3.99 here, don’t ask why.

While M was pumping gas and picking us up some waters, I took pictures of the goodies we picked up in the Poly gift shop.

Cookies for M’s sister:

The magnet we got (M loves Dumbo):

We got back to the hotel at 11. I had to drop M off at the airport at 6am for her flight then it was my first solo day and boy was it packed! Stay tuned!!

Next: My First Solo Day, Starting at Animal Kingdom

8/22 – Monday – First Solo Day Starting at Animal Kingdom

Alarm clock went off early this morning because it was time for M to go home. Whomp-whomp. I was really sad to see her go. Vacay with her is always the best and I was still anxious about being solo. Who would I share my food opinions with or complain about my aching feet to? Oh well, it wasn’t my turn to leave so that was a plus.

We left the hotel at 5:15 and got to the airport at 5:42. I dropped M off and turned around and was back at the hotel at 6:15 to get ready. I left for the bus stop at 6:50. While waiting at the bus stop, I booked Genie+ and snagged a RotR LL starting at 3:40.

Timestamp for ~authenticity~

The bus pulled in at 7:28 and that meant I was already behind schedule. I forget how far away AK is from the other parks. My plan was to rope drop FoP but with early entry starting at 7:30, that plan was in the tubes. My next few pics will be blurry since I was walking and snapping.

Then things got worse when I got pulled for extra security screenings. Learn from my mistakes! Remember to take your umbrellas out people!!

So I tapped in at 7:31 and made my way toward FoP.

Continued in next post!

I got in line on the bridge at 7:38. This couple with a preteen came up behind me in line and asked if this was the line for FoP. I said yes and they asked how long I thought it would be. My guess was 45+ minutes and they continued ahead anyways. I ended up seeing them in line later far ahead of me, which bothered me, but what can you do.

Pics during my wait:

I ended up entering the decontamination chamber at 8:23, so overall a little less than an hour wait. Looking back, I wish I had just gotten a LL when I realized I wasn’t going to make rope drop. Oh well, that was actually one of if not the longest wait of my trip so not bad. I walked off at 8:38, coincidentally at the same time as that rude couple with the kid who skipped the line earlier. Being solo I got called up when they were looking for single riders, so I guess it all worked out (for me anyways).

FoP was amazing! This was my second time riding after my first with M on our last trip. We both loved it so much that M got me a FoP magic band to remember that trip by. I’ll share pics of that in my later report.

I wanted to try the Pongu Lumpia from Pongu Pongu, but they were out. I thought about getting a Night Blossom, but ultimately decided against that and just got a water.

The safari had a 30min. wait on the app so I decided to try to beat most of the crowds over there.

Pretty empty this morning:

Continued in next post!

I got in line at the safari with the wait still posted at 30 minutes, but the line started pretty far back and it wasn’t moving so I bailed. I then wanted to make my way toward since I made my first LL there.

I love this next pic!

There she is!

It was super crowded when I got over there and turns out EE was down. Another strike out. It was just after 9 at this point and my morning was not going as planned. I went on the app to regroup and ultimately decided to get in line for Dinosaur which had a 5min posted wait, so I walked over just enjoying the morning. I was hoping EE would come back up before my LL window closed.

Continued in next post!

I walked off Dinosaur at 9:24. I like the music and overall nostalgia of that ride, but it could use some updating. A different pre-show maybe? EE wasn’t back up yet so I got a redeem anywhere LL. I decided to use it to avoid the standby line back at the safari that I bailed on earlier.

I saw some more dinos on my walk over!

A more straightforward, not rushed pic of ToL:

Next: Continuing My Solo Day at Animal Kingdom

8/22 – Monday – Finishing Up at Animal Kingdom

Where I last left off, I was on my way to Kilimanjaro Safaris to use my anywhere LL I got while EE was down.

By 9:49 I was on the ride, and I ended up to a whole row to myself. IDK how that happened but it explains why the line earlier in the day basically wasn’t moving. Ha!

Sebastian was our guide today and I thought he did a great job. I will spare you the hundreds of safari pics (I usually scroll past these on other TRs, sorry!!) and leave you with my top 4.

I love these lionesses watching over the sleeping lion!

I walked off at 10:14.

Continued in next post!

My plan was to get in line for Nomad Lounge around 10:45 so I had some time to kill.

While leaving Africa I stopped and listened to the performers for a little bit.

It was nice to just take a second to stop and watch for a while, but it was getting hot and I definitely needed a break soon. It was a little before 10:30 so I walked over to Nomad Lounge to see if there was a line forming yet (hello anxiety). There wasn’t, but I decided to stay close and walk over to Pandora to take some more pics with my Magic Band.

M got me this Magic Band after our trip last year. I love it so much.

After checking that off my list I headed back the way I came and jumped inside the first air-conditioned shop I could find to kill some time.

Continued in next post!

Reactions: DLo

Mirror selfie!

I contemplated buying these shirts for my dad and brother, but decided against it. I didn’t want to carry them around all day.

Ugh only 10 minutes killed. My feet were killing me, so I got in line at Nomad lounge at 10:40. I was behind 2 groups of people. Ultimately I didn’t really need to be in line early, especially it being just me, as the bar never filled up the entire time I was there. I had heard stories of long lines and this was something I really wanted to do, so I decided not to risk it.

They opened the doors at 10:58 and I decided to sit at the bar.

Menu for reference.

I started with the Annapurna Zing and the fried cauliflower. Shortly after I ordered, another solo girl around my age came in and sat a few seats down from me. I thought about saying hi or complimenting her backpack, but ultimately decided not to. I really regret this, because it would have been the perfect time to step out of my comfort zone and initiate a conversation. Oh well, the going solo thing was still new to me and I just wasn’t ready.

Continued in next post!

Here’s my Annapurna Zing. It had gin, passion fruit puree, mint, simple syrup, lime juice, and ginger beer topped with a lotus glow cube.

OMG I think this was the best drink I’ve ever had on property. Like a Moscow Mule, but better!

Here was the cauliflower.

The flavors were good (spicy, soy), but it could have been crispier.

I just sat and took in my surroundings. I love the ode to travel vibe in here. I also listen to this soundtrack when I work, and it’s just so nice when you hear it in real life. I badly needed this break form the heat and walking.

I asked the bartender to recommend another drink and he recommended the Hightower Rocks, which was a watermelon margarita.

It had a front end hint of spice that was balanced nicely by the sweetness of the watermelon at the end. Another amazing drink.

While I was enjoying my second drink, I noticed all these handwritten tags hanging above me.

Continued in next post!

I decided to ask the bartender about them (yay for some sort of social interaction). He said if you donate to the Conservation Fund, you can put a tag up. A good cause and core memory? Sign me up! I gave $10 and filled out my tag.

I was in my feels a little bit and was just so happy and proud of myself for being in Disney by myself. It was such a goal of mine and it hit me here. Looking back on my trip as a whole, I would say this was my favorite part. Just the vibes, music, drinks, all of it. 100/10 for the Nomad Lounge.

The bartender hung my tag up and I checked MDE to see if EE was back up.

It was, so I ventured back into the sun a little after 12 with a big smile on my face.

Crowd check and views:

Continued in next post!

I got in the single rider line at 12:10 and walked off at 12:23. I contemplated getting back in line, but I could tell the single rider line had gotten longer so I didn’t. I then headed to It’s Tough to be a Bug, since that was the only attraction that didn’t have a long wait.

So while I’m walking in line to enter the holding area, note walking NOT waiting, I saw a couple had pulled their toddler aged kid aside and was letting him, um, relive himself on the side of the ToL. Now, I don’t have kids, but I found this to be super weird and highly inappropriate since we were by no means stuck in line. I guess when a kids gotta go…..???

Annnnyyywaysssss, I had just missed the last show so had to wait for another to start.

I walked out at 12:55.

The cauliflower I had wasn’t really holding me over, so I decided to walk back to Pandora to order the cheeseburger buns from Satuli Canteen. M and I had these on our last trip and loved them. So much so that I found a dupe at Trader Joes that I stock my freezer with when I am feeling nostalgic. Some people don’t like them but I think they’re great!

I had a table to myself and sat until about 1:40. Doing everything I had wanted at AK, it was time to end my time there.

Continued in next post!

8/22 – Monday – Continuing My Solo Day at Hollywood Studios

Where we last left off, I was heading to Hollywood Studios in an Uber from Animal Kingdom. It was about 2pm at this point when I pulled up to HS.

This was my first time seeing the skyliner up and running. I’ve still never been on, but it’s on my to-do list.

I got pulled again for the security check. It wasn’t until after I realized it was because I had an umbrella in in my bag. In case you didn’t know, you’re supposed to hold your umbrella out in front of you when walking though the detectors. Now I (and you) know!

I had a 2:45 reservation for Ogas so I headed over that way so I could check out Batuu before my reservation. Pics along the way!

I checked in a little early and the CM told me it would be closer to my reservation time so I continued just walking around.

I was so impressed with Galaxy’s Edge! I could not get over the immersiveness of it all. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but my brother loved it when we were kids, so I’ve seen all the older movies multiple times. Being in this land made me want to go back and watch them. It’s my ultimate dream to go on the Starcruiser with my dad and brother because I know they would love it!

Continued in Next Post!

Soon enough it was time for Ogas!

I got a spot close to the end of the bar in front of whatever this guy is.

Benjamin was my server/bartender and he did a great job. I ended up starting with the Fuzzy Tauntaun. I’m not a huge fan of things ‘numbing’ my mouth, but everyone I talked to said this was the drink to try. I’ll start by saying, it was not as good as the drinks at the Nomad Lounge, but definitely more creative! The numbing effect wasn’t overpowering and the drink itself was good. About halfway through, I got low on fizz, so Benjamin came by to top me off.

When I was done with my Fuzzy Tauntaun, I opted for the Bespin Fizz. This one has little boba balls that bubble and move within the drink with the help of what I assume to be dry ice. I have seen online that sometimes it is made without boba balls, but the one I had did. When Benjamin put it down, I started to take a video for Instagram, so he got everyone at the bar around me to ooh and ahhh, you know for effect!

I think I liked the Fuzzy Tauntaun more, but both were good. Presentation though, 10/10.

After regretting the fact that I didn’t make conversation with my fellow bar patrons at Nomad Lounge, I started talking to the couple next to me. Her birthday was the day before so her and her husband were celebrating. They were super nice and we chatted a little before until I finished my drink.

I said goodbye to Rex and he waved back.

Continued in Next Post!

Oga’s was amazing. A must do for everyone, Star Wars fan or not.

I walked across the way to use my 2:15 LL for Smugglers Run. Had to stop to take a pic to send to my dad and brother first!

Omg once you are inside it truly feels like you’re on the Millennium Falcon. I was blown away. If I thought it was cool, I’m sure Star Wars fans would be amazed!

I ended up being the engineer. Definitely the “lamest” of all the roles, but still cool. I imagine the experience is a lot better when you don’t have children piloting your ship. LOL. I’ll have to do it again to try the other roles, but again, the immersion is on point.

Back outside Chewy and Rey were playing a bit of hide and seek. Can you spot her in the second picture?

I stopped to watch for a bit, but had to get to my RotR LL, of course stopping for pics along the way.

Continued in Next Post!

My scared face:

I love that they let you stop and take pics here.

I walked off the ride at 4:13.

WOW WOW WOW. I have not been this impressed since getting off Flight of Passage for the first time. This was like that, but 10x better! I literally laughed out loud at multiple points and had a smile on my face the whole time. I just kept thinking about how much my dad and bother would love it.

After that I did a little more wandering. I stumbled upon a game of Sabbac in the market area. I watched a kid play a round with his dad. When they were finished it was just me and the cast member. She asked if I wanted to learn how to play, so I agreed. It was super easy to learn and pretty fun to play. I played two rounds and won one. I ended up buying the game for my brother and we’ve played it since. I highly recommend it. Here’s a pic of the cast member and her setup.

Next: Continuing My Solo Day at Hollywood Studios

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter