• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Warning to Disney Resort Guests

Theres a scam in the UK at the moment where someone phones from 'IT Support' calling about the 'Windows 8 issue' you've been having, they wanna take your card number to fix your PC remotely..

They just couldn't understand that I was using an Apple Macbook!
I'm in the states and I've gotten the same calls...also told them I have a Mac. I keep blocking the number but they are a call center.

Which hotels still do this? Most times the desk agent writes down the room number. It's been a personal-safety precaution for years.
Maybe Disney has been doing this for years, and yes, my room number is often written down on the key card holder, but as recently as last month at a Choice hotel we had our room number stated out loud by the desk clerk. This was of course followed up with the typical, go down this hall to the elevators on when you get off the elevators turn right and it is just around the corner. Lobby full of people...

Maybe Disney has been doing this for years, and yes, my room number is often written down on the key card holder, but as recently as last month at a Choice hotel we had our room number stated out loud by the desk clerk. This was of course followed up with the typical, go down this hall to the elevators on when you get off the elevators turn right and it is just around the corner. Lobby full of people...

that is NO GOOD.....it might actually be needed to mention it to corporate, because it has been an industry necessity for quite a while....for just that reason of theft and fraud....

I'm in the states and I've gotten the same calls...also told them I have a Mac. I keep blocking the number but they are a call center.
If I am not busy, I'll keep them on the line as long as possible just to mess with them. It's funny how mad they get at the end of the call! So upset about ME wasting THEIR time when they are the ones who called.

Most hotels write down the number for that reason and usually just point to the elevators. However, here's the common scenario. One person picks up the keys, starts waliking away, the other asks what room they are in and the person with the keys says the number. Happens constantly in our group's hotels. Not much we can do about that. The best way to answer is to show the number don't say it.

If I am not busy, I'll keep them on the line as long as possible just to mess with them. It's funny how mad they get at the end of the call! So upset about ME wasting THEIR time when they are the ones who called.

LOL :). Once I know what I'm getting? My favorite line is .... "ummmm, you DO realize that you've phoned a Police Officer?"

I'm not one. But they are not Microsoft either :). Funny side effect - our number seems to vanish, QUICKLY, from the Internet "Sucker list" of phone numbers :).

I've done this so many times that I'm banned from answering the house phone unless it's a relative.:rolleyes1

I never answer a hotel room phone. If someone wants to call me they can call my cell.

I know there are definitely naive people out there that might give out their credit card info without thinking twice! Just today, I was in a fast food restaurant. I was quietly reading, there were only a few people in the seating area. All of a sudden, a woman's voice started reading off what was clearly a credit card number. I looked up, and saw a woman talking on her cell phone. She very clearly (and loudly) stated all 16 digits of the card, the expiration date, the CVV code on the back, and the name on the card (and even spelled the last name!). I wanted to go over and warn her that it wasn't a good idea to do this in a public place - she was lucky I was the only person nearby who heard her. But I figured she wouldn't appreciate my unsolicited advice! It's quite naive to think that there aren't already enough "bad guys" out there to deliberately try to get your information -- and here she was, basically giving it away for free!
I think I'm guilty of this!! I have never thought twice about it. I will definitely be more diligent going forward. Thank you!

Very good info here. I, too, will remember these tips. I hadn't heard about the pizza thing before. ugh. HATE scammers.

This thread definitely opened my eyes to a few things...so thank you!

Got a fake flyer tonight (9/11/2015) between 645pm and 930pm at CBR. Looks like they "raised the prices" since the tv report online about them, lol!

Hi all,

I'm at the Polynesian now and someone called my cousin in her room pretending to be the front desk and attempting to get her to divulge her credit card number. The only thing that stopped her was that she heard a recording say it was from a jail in the middle of the conversation so she hung up. I just wanted to make other people aware.

NEVER, NEVER divulge your credit card # to ANYONE over the phone unless you initiate the call and 'know' who you are calling!!!! That should be part of having a credit card 101!!

Theres a scam in the UK at the moment where someone phones from 'IT Support' calling about the 'Windows 8 issue' you've been having, they wanna take your card number to fix your PC remotely..

They just couldn't understand that I was using an Apple Macbook!

We have gotten those calls quite often in the US also - one just this week - but, we also only have Macs.

Disney used to place a little notice warning against this next the the phones at the resorts. I didn't notice it when I stayed earlier this month, but honestly I wasn't looking for it either.

I get enough calls at home. Too bad they call the resorts. Thanks for the warning!

I wonder how they get through?

They could be calling from another room, from a house phone, just asking to be connected to common names, etc. There's quite a few ways to get through to hotel rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter