A Wrinkle in Time is taking a beating in early reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that people are saying they won't see the movie/ didn't like the movie because it's "political" and their only reason for calling it political is that there are POC in it is a little...ugh

I don't think it is the fact it *has* a diverse cast - it is the fact that is the aspect of the movie that is being *promoted*. That is, the push is "come see a movie featuring a divers cast!" rather than "Come see a movie that has an amazing cast!"

After watching the preview for this movie with my kids, I would say it's definitely not going to be a 'family' friendly hit as Craig suggests.

I was really excited to go see it together, but ALL of my children (even the 12 and 14 year old) were genuinely creeped out by the trailer. My 14 year old asked if it was a horror film and why in the world would I take them to see it?! Not sure if Disney was going for a border-line horror flick feel to their trailer, but this is one family that won't be going to see it. If Disney's mission was to scare my kids before they even set foot in the theatre, they succeeded. :(

Trailer here:

After watching the preview for this movie with my kids, I would say it's definitely not going to be a 'family' friendly hit as Craig suggests.

I was really excited to go see it together, but ALL of my children (even the 12 and 14 year old) were genuinely creeped out by the trailer. My 14 year old asked if it was a horror film and why in the world would I take them to see it?! Not sure if Disney was going for a border-line horror flick feel to their trailer, but this is one family that won't be going to see it. If Disney's mission was to scare my kids before they even set foot in the theatre, they succeeded. :(

Trailer here:
It is based on a book so if you read the book you should get an idea of what to expect. It's not Moana or Frozen type family friendly.

It is based on a book so if you read the book you should get an idea of what to expect. It's not Moana or Frozen type family friendly.
Oh, yes I am very familiar with the book. The book is nowhere near as scary or intense as the movie appears. That's why I was so disappointed. From the book, I was excited to take them - until we watched the trailer.

Oh, yes I am very familiar with the book. The book is nowhere near as scary or intense as the movie appears. That's why I was so disappointed. From the book, I was excited to take them - until we watched the trailer.
Understandable. Trailers don't always represent a movie though either. Often times trailers will even have scenes not even in the film.

You aren't supposed to agree with his methods, but his point that Wakanda's isolation has been/is harmful (which Nakia was also telling T'Challa) was valid.

That's his perspective, but from T'Chaka's perspective not being isolationist would be harmful to Wakandans, which is also a valid point. Also, Killmonger didn't really want to "help" anybody, but rather punish those he felt wronged him. It's the classic villain with a chip on his shoulder scenario. I'm not saying he didn't bring up some interesting things to think about, but I think the movie also offered other perspectives, eventually settling on T'Challa's "meet in the middle" sort of approach.

Of course, none of that is going to matter much when Thanos and his Gauntlet come to town!

Which should lead us to ask ourselves, does casting a white heroine constitute a political decision? If not, why should casting a minority? Acting is acting. Nick Fury in the Marvel Cartoons was a white guy, I don't remember all this fuss about Samuel Jackson being cast for that role in the movies. People have lost their ever loving minds.

I wish I could do a hundred "likes". Yes, I think so too. A movie is a movie and actors are actors, whatever their politics, religion, or race is!

The fact that people are saying they won't see the movie/ didn't like the movie because it's "political" and their only reason for calling it political is that there are POC in it is a little...ugh

I think most people aren't going to see it because a large majority of the reviews says its a stinker all the way around.

Having actually watched the movie, I had to actually google what the “political” talk about the movie was.

Are you kidding me? Typical “drudge”ry drama.

Now, if you decide that the movie is not great for entertainment value, I would not debate that point.

Having actually watched the movie, I had to actually google what the “political” talk about the movie was.

Are you kidding me? Typical “drudge”ry drama.

Now, if you decide that the movie is not great for entertainment value, I would not debate that point.
So mj2, you didn't find it entertaining?

I just got home from watching the movie and thought it was wonderful. As I said earlier, I absolutely love this book. I've read it several times as a teenager and several times as an adult. I thought it captured the themes and essence of the book really well while updating the story to make it more appealing to modern audiences. But it absolutely reflected the things I loved about the book - the importance of love of family and community, the joy of discovery in science, the struggle to learn who you are and to stay true to that. The movie's strength was definitely the moments of emotion and connection between the characters, not the special effects. I though the casting was great for the most part. The little boy that played Charles Wallace was phenomenal. I thought Oprah was the only mis-step in casting. Her voice and presence always screams Oprah and that was too jarring. The cinematography was artistic, and I often felt like I was looking at a beautiful piece of art instead of being immersed in an action adventure. Which I appreciated but I can see how some people may not prefer that.

We were in a theater full of kids and they all seemed to have really enjoyed the movie. It is darker than the typical Disney movie but so was the book. I would have hated it if they had tried to remove that element.

I'll eventually see it but I wasn't going to see it in theaters. It interests me somewhat just not enough to spend $ to see it in theaters when there are other movies in the near future I'm much more excited to see.

We're in the minority, but my wife and I both really loved it (so much so that we saw it twice!). Both times we left the movie theater feeling hopeful and inspired.

Neither of us had read the book until a few months ago, so I guess we wouldn't be considered super fans of the novel. We both thought it was a pretty straight-forward representation of the book. I personally enjoyed most of the visuals and liked the inspirational aspects a lot of people called cheesy.

1.3 million from Thursday night previews. That's 200,000 less than Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Not a good sign.

Does that take into account the huge storm that pretty much wiped out the northeast's power grid for that time period? I'm guessing no one in MA, NH, ME, or some other areas in the storm's path went to the movies Thursday night.

The book is just as intense - but doesn't have the visual aspect, that's all. I can read horror/murder mysteries, rape scenes and have no problem. I cannot watch them on screen.

Have they read the book? If not, maybe they should?

Does that take into account the huge storm that pretty much wiped out the northeast's power grid for that time period? I'm guessing no one in MA, NH, ME, or some other areas in the storm's path went to the movies Thursday night.
I hadn't even thought about that. Are people still without power? Maybe the theaters are closed?

Just got back from the theatre and stumbled upon this post while looking for something else. I had read (and loved) the books as a kid, and just re-read Wrinkle In Time last week. It definitely affected my perception; I’d give it maybe a B- for an adaptation of the book. As a movie, however, it was in B+ to A- territory. Chaitali’s post above pretty much reflects my opinions. There were a few changes I liked, a few I found curious, and a handful of parts I really missed - but again, most of my criticisms stem from having So freshly read the book. I went with three friends, and I think all of us cried at some point. I found it very emotionally resonant.

The race in casting was a non-issue for me. I went “Oh that was an interesting choice!” I was more bothered by the fact that they eliminated the twins, lol!

TL;DR, would I recommend it? Yes. (From mid-elementary or so on up. I don’t think it would hold the attention of someone younger.)

Just watched the trailer and whoa! It feels far creepier and more sinister than the film. What were they thinking?!

I will catch this on netflix or whatever Disney uses when it eventually comes out. Not an Oprah fan, and the trailer did not look interesting. I am bummed that life will not let me see Black Panther a 2nd time. Can't wait for the dvd. I look forward to the day where we cast movies with great actors and race is not an issue. Of course I'm from California, so we are all a little hippyish out here. :hippie:

Well this thread took a turn late. Normally I’d just give a warning but I’m not sure it can recover at this point....

So thanks for those who kept a civil discussion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!