• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABC Fall Schedule and New Shows

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Disney-owned ABC announced their Fall schedule this afternoon. I’ll have the exact breakdown tomorrow morning, but AP has already released some copy on it: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020514/ap_on_en_tv/tv_new_season_10&printer=1 .The article also talks the WB schedule which was also announced today.

The most interesting (and saddening) thing about the schedule is how bad off ABC really is. Here are some quotes from the article:

“Struggling ABC will try to reinvent itself by adding seven new series this fall, instituting a weekday "happy hour" of comedies and removing "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire “ from its schedule. ABC executives also pleaded for patience Tuesday while the network tries to rebound from a 23 percent drop in viewership this season.

‘The core goal for us is to stop the downward trend in our ratings," said Susan Lyne, ABC entertainment president. "We need to stabilize and move the needle a little upwards. Nobody is expecting us to jump into first place next year.’"

Other highlights (and some not mentioned in the article) –

The schedule is based around a “family-friendly happy-hour” of sitcoms from 8PM-9PM Monday through Friday. Saturday will remain a movie night and ‘Wonderful World’ and specials on Sundays.

‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ is off the schedule with vague promises about “specials” to come sometime later.

‘Spin City’, ‘Philly’ and ‘Dharma and Greg’ are cancelled. There was no mention of it, so I’m assuming ‘Alias’ will be back.

‘The Bachelor’ and ‘The Bachelorette’ will both be back. ‘The Chair’ won’t.

‘Drew Carey’ and ‘Who’s Line’ will be moved to the Monday pre-football spot. For people on the proper coast of the United States, that’s the post-Monday Night Football spot. Frankly I don’t see a lot of people hanging around sports bars really all that enthused about ‘Scenes from a Hat’.

After football season, ABC will air a remake of ‘Dragnet’. Yes, that 'Dragnet'.

‘Dinotopia’ will become a weekly series. It will be a major struggle for the company to create such an effects-heavy series in so short a time. That and they’ll have to get the rights to that ‘Land of the Lost’ song from Sid and Marty.

Both ABC and WB have series about thirty year old men that travel back in time to relive their high school days in the 1980s. Get out all those ‘Saved by the Bell’ jokes now and avoid the rush.

Other new shows (from the article):

“8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," starring [John] Ritter and Katey Sagal in the comedy focusing on Ritter's relationship with his daughters.

"Dinotopia," a fantasy that extends the concept of dinosaurs and humans living together.

"Less Than Perfect," a workplace comedy set at a TV network. Andy Dick, who once starred in a workplace comedy set at a radio station ("NewsRadio"), is in the cast.

"Life with Bonnie," a family comedy starring Bonnie Hunt as a local TV host.

"Meds," a one-hour drama featuring renegade doctors trying to undercut the frugal HMO that runs their San Francisco hospital. ABC compares its mix of comedy and drama to "M-A-S-H." [don’t they wish!]

"Push, Nevada," a drama the network compares to "Twin Peaks." Developed by [Ben] Affleck, it offers clues to a puzzle that viewers can solve to win money. [Three months in secluded rehab and that’s the best he can come up with?]

“That Was Then” – the back to high school “but this time I know all about girls” show mentioned above.

Other News –

ABC also cancelled ‘Politically Incorrect’ and will be replacing it with a show starring Jimmy Kimmel, the guy from Comedy Central's ‘The Man Show’. Hard to tell if this is going to be following ABC “family-friendly” trend. Just as long as they keep Girls on Trampolines I’ll forgive them.

I’ll post the full schedule in this thread tomorrow.

Just as long as they keep Girls on Trampolines I’ll forgive them.
YEAH!!! I'm with you Voice!!! :bounce: (I thought I was the only one that saw that show!)

Pretty sad network though. Hey Peter!! I seem to recall a conversation with you about a year ago. In it you said that ABC was a great asset!! Still think so?

Found the new line-up a little sooner.

Monday
8:00 The Drew Carey Show
8:30 Whose Line Is It Anyway?
9:00 Monday Night Football

Tuesday
8:00 8 Simple Rules To Dating My Daughter
8:30 According To Jim
9:00 Life With Bonnie
9:30 Less Than Perfect
10:00 NYPD Blue

Wednesday
8:00 My Wife And Kids
8:30 The George Lopez Show
9:00 The Bachelor
10:00 Meds

Thursday
8:00 Dinotopia
9:00 Push, Nevada
10:00 Primetime

Friday
8:00 America’s Funniest Home Videos
9:00 That Was Then
10:00 20/20

Saturday
8:00 Movie of The Week/Specials

Sunday
7:00 Wonderful World of Disney
9:00 Alias
10:00 The Practice

I'm quite sure I NEVER said it WAS a great asset. I'm quite sure I DID say it SHOULD BE a great asset. I'll admit my dire concerns though. It bothers me that a giant and supposed industry leader can't conquer television. I believe in quality, just like the rest of you and I readily admit ABC hasn't given us any. Still, I can't see writing it off at this point (it's become a regular catch-22).

Further, I'll admit here that my confidence in Eisner is waning drastically. I can still see and appreciate what has been done on his watch for the good but I'm afraid the ledger may be no longer be leaning positive. I don't worry about the Parks as much as the rest of you as I believe that WDW, even on auto-pilot, has enough magic to sustain us for quite some time, but the money drain really bugs me...The apparant loss of direction really bugs me & mostly, and mostly the lack of quality conciousness really bugs me.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I hope this is just a bump in the road. There was a time when the only shows I watched camed from ABC -- if you wanted some light, funny shows that were either knockoffs of Seinfeld or Friends or Cheers, ABC was the place to go. Two Guys and a Girl, Drew Carey, Spin City etc.

Now, I can't find much except for Drew & Drew to look out for right now. I'll wait and see.

By the way, M. AV, I think they changed the name of 'Meds' to "The Oath." At least that's what Newsweek said in its article about the new boss at ABC. She sounds refreshingly honest about her situation...there is a quote in there that she won't move her family over yet, because if the network doesn't turn around, she said she would be fired. :) I thought that was pretty funny.

ABC tried this "family hour" concept back in the late 1970s. They spread their half hour comedies over the week during the 8-9 hour. I remember this was in Mork & Mindy's 2nd season and it took a bit of a dive in the ratings.

I guess this could be considered "That 70s Network Programming." :D :p :cool:

I think it's interesting that Susan Lyne has requested treatments from all new pilots for the fall that outline the next 10 or so episodes following the pilot. Supposedly, ABC felt like it got burned on a couple shows (Bob Patterson) that couldn't develop past the pilot. The idea is not new, but the trades say that the move was prompted by the producer of "Alias", who submitted an outline for his 22 episode season before the show was even picked up for a full run.

I want more women jumping on trampolines!!!! Now thats family entertainment!!!

I am disappointed that they cancelled Spin city and Dharma & Greg. These are just about the only shows I watch on ABC.

While I was mildly entertained by Dinotopia, I do not think it was all that great. The effects were good. I think this was/is Disney's way of getting more merchandising and another thrill ride for AK. That is all I could think about as I was watching the scene last night with Karl and David riding in a canoe down one of the flumes. LOL. However, if it is a series it may be a decent enough show for me to watch with DD 5 yrs old.

ABC needs better writers and better formatting. Otherwise their line up looks pretty pitiful.

Some comments:

Most of the shows on ABC are now produced by Disney Studios. While some might say this is a low-cost way of providing products, there are some serious problems involved. First and most importantly this practice chokes off a major source of revenue for the corporation as a whole. Instead of selling the programs to other networks and getting cash, Disney is “selling” programs to itself and only getting accounting entries. Unlike Warners or Fox, Disney has not been able to broaden their production to fulfill both internal needs and to sell outside. Another issue is that most producers in town feel that their programs are always going to take second place to Disney produced product. The Company will give preferential scheduling to corporate shows. No one wants to put themselves in that role and it discourages people from bringing shows to ABC. A network needs fresh ideas, not rehashes from the same group time after time.

Another problem with ABC’s decline in ratings is that it impacts two networks. The justification for the ABC Family deal was that hit shows from ABC could be rerun endless on cable, mining profit at ever increasing rates. But without a hit ABC show there’s really nothing to drive profits from ABC Family. And various attempts to boost ABC ratings by marathons and special programming on ABC Family haven’t worked either (count the times they’ve tried with ‘Alias’). Even NBC, which invented the second-network-on-cable concept with PAX, has seen it fail miserably. There is still no clear-cut rationale for investing $5 billion in the project.

This really looks like a “cut your losses” schedule. There isn’t a single show that looks like it’s trying to be a break-out hit. To be a hit, a show has to leak QUALITY out its pores long before it even airs. There are too many shows and too many choices for an audience to “discover” a show. People have to go looking for it and people have to drawn to it. None of the shows on ABC have that quality. The schedule seems exceptionally bland; clumps of family sitcoms where the main sets are the living room, kitchen, bedroom trio; tired series that seem like refugees from NBC (‘NYPD Blue’, ‘Practice’), and outright embarrassments just to fill up time (‘Home Videos’, ‘Bachelor’, ‘Whos’ Line’).

The entire Company is terrified of the slightest risk these days, but this just seems way, way too cautious for a fourth place network. Quality and effort don’t have to cost anymore than mediocrity does – in fact most of the biggest breakout shows in TV history, ‘All in the Family’, ‘M*A*S*H*’, ‘Friends’, were all very cheap shows at the beginning.

It would have been very nice for Disney to have taken a risk or two and produce some quality television. The downside could have been managed and the rewards could have been tremendous. An audience doesn’t watch a show because it’s cost effective, they watch because it interested them. Why can’t Disney find someone who understands that concept?

P.S. By all accounts Ms. Lyne is a bright and capable person. But rumors continue that her influence in the Company remains slight and that the schedule you see above is more the work of The Big Guy than of anyone else.

Girls on Trampolines? :confused:

Why couldn't "Push, Nevada" be something interesting? A lot of people enjoy solving a good mystery. Oh I said "good". Never mind... :rolleyes:

Dinotopia is an odd choice IMO. It was an OK show with the special effects being the major selling point. I can't see Disney spending that kind of money every week so do we end up with a cheesy looking show along the lines of Land of the Lost? And they're placing it up against NBC's powerhouse!

This is really rather pathetic.

Girls jumping on trampolines is certainly good/wholesome family entertainment!! And may help the ratings!!!

I don't quite understand what all the complaints are about. First off, ABC's schedule this past season (we all agree) faltered. So, what do you want them to do? Keep it the same? No, they revamped their schedule, and I think they've done a good job. Let's take a night-by-night analysis approach:

Sunday
The one night of the week that they didn't change. "Wonderful World of Disney" is one of the top-rated shows among familes. "Alias," although not a huge ratings success is consistently high-rated in the coveted 18-49 bracket (plus it is the best show on tv, IMHO). "The Practice" saw its ratings decline this year, but I think its because of the lack of other quality shows on the network. Also, it consistently built upon the "Alias" audience.

Monday
I think that the pairing of "The Drew Carey Show", "Whose Line Is It Anyway", and "Monday Night Football" is perfect. "Drew" was faltering this year and "Line" is just filler on Thursday, so take these two male-oriented shows and pair them with the male-oriented "MNF." Where's the fault in that? Why didn't they get rid of "Drew," you may ask: it was renewed for two seasons at the end of last season, so they had to keep it. As for the low-rated "Line," it's cheap to produce. And with "MNF's" acquisition of John Madden and the departure of the horrible Dennis Miller, "MNF's" prospects are looking up.

Tuesday
Three new comedies, plus one that has proved succesful this year. ABC has committed to going the family route, so "8 Simple Rules About Dating My Daughter" and "According to Jim" seem to follow those guidelines. So what if "Rules" features John Ritter? What's the big deal. "Life with Bonnie" starring, directed by, and written by Bonnie Hunt seems like your typical star vehicle, but with the wonderful Hunt (watch "Return to Me" on video and you'll see that her family-style humor is amazingly funny) this could be great. "Less than Perfect" seems like a headline waiting to happen. With Andy Dick starring in it, this comedy could live up to its name. Still, bringing "NYPD Blue" back to 10:00 is a good move. When it was there this year, it took away some audience from CBS's "Judging Amy." The cop show is still a ratings-grabber for ABC.

Wednesday
"My Wife and Kids" and "George Lopez" start off the night. "Wife" is a bonafide hit for the network (it won its time period last night in 18-49) and "Lopez" did about the same numbers as "According to Jim." At 9:00, "The Bachelor" returns and despite the fact that it may be ridiculed here on the boards, the show was a success. What's wrong with continuing with a success? Putting this up against "West Wing" is a very smart move (I think), since this is going for a completely different demographic. At 10:00 "Meds" (or "The Oath" - whatever they're calling it right now) probably can't do much to knock ratings juggernaut "Law and Order" out of the top spot, but if it's good it might pull in some numbers.

Thursday
In a very smart move, ABC places "Dinotopia" at 8:00. What else could ABC put there? They've had "Whose Line" there for the past several years which has simply been filler up against "Friends" and "Survivor." I think that it's quite possible that ABC may have a moderate hit on their hand with the family crowd. While it may not take any audience from "Friends," I think that "Survivor" may see its ratings dip. At 9:00, "Push, Nevada" puts a "Twin Peakish" spin on the murder-mystery. Once again, going up against "CSI" seems troubling, but "Will and Grace's" popularity is waning. At 10:00, the mandatory slot for ABC News with "Primetime Thursday."

Friday
Friday brings the never-dead "America's Funniest Home Videos" which did very well this year in the family demographic. I understand the premise of "That Was Then," but I'm not sure if the back-in-time aspect will be more family or adult-oriented. If it's the former, it may find some success following "AFV." And then "20/20" gets to keep its Friday spot (depite the fact that ratings are very poor this year).

Saturday
Specials and movies that will go up against specials and movies on NBC and "The District" and "The Agency" on CBS.

Overall, I think ABC's schedule is pretty good. They needed to overhaul nearly everything and I think that what they've done is made a schedule that will put their hit shows up against other decently-rated shows on other networks...I think that this season they will see success.

But, that's just my opinion...everyone else seems to disagree with it.

RyMickey

But, that's just my opinion...everyone else seems to disagree with it.
...I'm more than willing to let you have your own opinion, but I feel compelled to point out a detail concerning the justifications you offer.
ABC has committed to going the family route, so "8 Simple Rules About Dating My Daughter" and "According to Jim" seem to follow those guidelines.
"The Bachelor" returns and despite the fact that it may be ridiculed here on the boards, the show was a success. What's wrong with continuing with a success?
You justify out of both sides of your mouth, here. Is Disney committed to family, or is Disney committed to any damn thing that someone will watch?

The schedule is suspect because it's such a mish-mash of family fare (and by "family," I mean only "that which will show up on ABC _Family_ in about a week and a half") and lowest-common denominator ratings grabs.

The apparant loss of direction really bugs me & mostly, and mostly the lack of quality conciousness really bugs me.
I always like to make a public note whenever I can say: I agree with the Pirate completely.

Jeff

I completely understand the point that "The Bachelor" and, say, "According to Jim" stand at complete opposites of the "family fare" spectrum, but, why not bring back something that is a hit? "NYPD Blue" or "The Practice" aren't family fare, but would you expect ABC not to bring them back? ABC is not solely trying to covet the family market. The bulk of the schedule does, but that's not the only market that is out there.

I read these boards daily, but rarely post because I feel like I don't "dislike" the practices of Disney enough. I'm more than willing to give Disney the benefit of doubt on this schedule. They needed to make a change...they made a change. Granted, the shows may all turn out to be duds, but no one has any idea if they will or not. Everyone (myself included) felt that ABC needed a change...they made major changes. Where is the problem?

Everyone's complaining that Disney doesn't take enough risks and that the ABC schedule is bland. ABC had a wide array of shows last September and all tanked (with the exception of "According to Jim" and "Alias" which isn't a hit, but a solid performer). Who's to say that one of ABC's new shows won't turn out to be the new "Home Improvement" for the network. That was a bland show, but it was a huge success.

I could just ramble on and on, but I have finals to study for...Still, this college student thinks that ABC made a move in the right direction. I don't really see how anyone could disagree with that. Anything (and I mean anything) would have been better than what they have now.

RyMickey

‘Drew Carey’ and ‘Who’s Line’ skews to men???????

Not even if they adopted the girls on trampoline segment.

The problem with ABC’s schedule isn’t that it’s bad. The problem is that it’s not good. The company likes to bellow all about quality yet all too easily just presents the mediocre. Is there a single show on the schedule anyone would make a point to see? There might be a few that creep up into the “if there’s nothing else on” category – but you can’t have a hit show that way.

ABC is not making fundamental changes. This all really feels just like more of the same stuff we’ve seen for years now: laugh-track drenched sitcoms about “wacky” make-believe families, unclothed cop rumps with lots of overlapping dialogue, and cheap reality programming to fill in the gaps so the static doesn’t leak through. There isn’t a single program on the entire network that makes anyone go “wow”. Just because all the shows from last year flopped doesn’t mean Disney should stop trying.

Of course, they really didn’t try last year either. Again, nothing is changing.

My car three co-pilot Mr. JJ said it best
I always like to make a public note whenever I can say: I agree with the Pirate completely.
And now I’m afraid to say anything!!! I think I’ll just let the Pirate’s quotes stand on their own!!
I'll admit my dire concerns though
I believe in quality, just like the rest of you and I readily admit ABC hasn't given us any
Further, I'll admit here that my confidence in Eisner is waning drastically
but I'm afraid the ledger may be no longer be leaning positive.
The apparent loss of direction really bugs me & mostly, and mostly the lack of quality consciousness really bugs me.
Ahhhhhh!!!! The past two years really have been worth it!!!! :bounce:

ps: AV!! You are on a roll lately (not only on this thread, but all of them to which you add your insight). If you really want me to stop posting, just keep going like you are. I find that after I read your posts, I have nothing to add. A very strange thing for me!!! ;)

Surprisingly, I don't disagree with much of what you say Voice...Except that Alias (IMO) really does have the potential to be something great. They've got to imrove the storylines, though...Also, a good season of MNF can mean big things to the bottom line, but still some quality does need to be infused in the genral content...

Landbaron, I'm happy to see that I'm giving you pause for a smile or two, but don't get carried away. I still think WDW is very magical & I don't have many concerns there (and WDW is my main Disney focus)...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Wow, I’m getting people to agree with me. I must be doing something wrong.

And Sir Baron, I’d never do anything to prevent you from posting. You’re the only one that can beat some sense into that Pirate fellow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter