Accessible Minnie Van Availability?

gypsy_at_heart

DIS Veteran
I’m taking my family on a trip to WDW in September - my parents both will need to use mobility scooters for the first time, we’re intending on renting them through an external company instead of risking them running out of rentals at the park. Because there is two of them, I thinking it might be easier to use accessible Minnie vans instead of the bus all the time. Has anyone had experience booking them on the Lyft app before? I was kind of wondering the pros/cons and if there was actually availability in the mornings and evenings or if it books up really quickly?

Thanks in advance for any help ❤️

We use Minnie Vans fairly regularly - but typically more at park close than open.

The expense can add up quickly; we tend to be generous with our tips.

You will need to budget your time differently, since there is no way to make a reservation in advance. It takes between 5 & 15 minutes per mobility device, depending on the driver's proficiency as well as the ability of the ECV driver to park inside the van.

Depending on what Resort hotel y'all are staying at, it may not be as difficult as you think to keep your travel party together in the mornings - you might have to wait for a second bus if it's important that you all stay together, but that just adds (on average) approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Park close is when things tend to get a bit crazier; everyone is tired and grumpy, and that's when we pop for a Minnie Van without hesitation.

Use the Lyft app - sign in and click on the "hamburger" (3 horizontal lines) menu in the upper left, go to Settings, make sure that the "Wheelchair Access" button is turned on. As long as you are on Disney Property, Minnie Vans will appear in your search results, both standard and accessible.

The Accessible drivers are amazing - if you get Joey, consider yourself super lucky; he is the sweetest, and we were so fortunate to ride with him more than once last year!

I use them about once per trip but usually to go from hotel to hotel - because there's no direct bus service for that sort of trip. They are wonderful but not cheap.

I can't remember - do all of the WC Minnie Vans take two ECVs? Seems like maybe some vans only can take one -but I sure can't remember and it's only me with the ECV so it's not been a concern.

Last May (2023) I tried to get a MV and it kept saying it was 20 minutes out -then would cancel on me. I rebooked and waited...then it cancelled again after 20 mins. This was to get to the Glow party at Typhoon Lagoon. Super frustrating experience but not sure how common it is as that's the first time I've had problems.

As for the bus - it's not too bad if you have to wait for a 2nd bus so that your party won't get split up. However - if there's a few of you traveling with your parents - perhaps some could go with one parent and some with the other? My family often splits up and by the time we all get to the park, through security, go to the bathroom, get a coffee, .... and so on...the splitting up doesn't matter too much.

I was hoping to make use of these our last trip, but when I looked in the mornings I was getting 20-30 minutes until a ride was available. So we never used it. The only time it showed that we could get it in a reasonable time would've been in the middle of the afternoon. (Not that we needed it then but I checked out of curiosity).

I was hoping to make use of these our last trip, but when I looked in the mornings I was getting 20-30 minutes until a ride was available. So we never used it. The only time it showed that we could get it in a reasonable time would've been in the middle of the afternoon. (Not that we needed it then but I checked out of curiosity).

Just a reminder for your next trip... 20 to 30 minutes is the same wait for the next bus at your Resort Hotel, even if you get to the bus stop just as the bus you wanted is pulling away. So that might help your decision process in the future; if you will wait the same 20 to 30 minutes for a bus as you would for a Minnie Van (or vice-versa). Of course, the bus is free... and the Minnie Van can be pretty pricey. But you also get a level of privacy and service with the Minnie Vans that the buses just can't provide, even with the best bus drivers in the world.

There are times when I don't want strangers putting their hands on the back of my chair to balance themselves because they are standing on a full bus. There are times when my immune system is too fragile now to be exposed to a bus full of folks who may not realize they have themselves been exposed to a cold, the flu, COVID, etc. (and yes, I mask full-time at WDW, even outdoors now). There are times when (at Park close) we will arrive at the bus stop only to see 4 or 5 mobility devices in line already, meaning that I am possibly going to be on the third bus from now, which equate an approximately one hour wait. These are the times when I will take the Minnie Van (with the additional cost) over the bus, even if the bus is sitting right there.

...I can't remember - do all of the WC Minnie Vans take two ECVs? Seems like maybe some vans only can take one -but I sure can't remember and it's only me with the ECV so it's not been a concern.

The larger size "sprinter" style vans can hold up to 4 mobility devices, depending on the size and type of the device. (This was according to one of our drivers last year; it appeared that there were adequate tie downs available for that many devices) She said that she had personally loaded 3 devices before; a wheelchair and 2 ECVs.

IMG_1837.jpeg

That's not the best picture, but the amount of space in the back of van that is a *lot*.

Last May (2023) I tried to get a MV and it kept saying it was 20 minutes out -then would cancel on me. I rebooked and waited...then it cancelled again after 20 mins. This was to get to the Glow party at Typhoon Lagoon. Super frustrating experience but not sure how common it is as that's the first time I've had problems.

We had one "regular" Minnie Van cancel on us before; when we asked the second driver that we finally got what was going on, they had no idea, and suggested we let the Transportation folks know. The driver even gave us a card with the phone number for Transportation.

I am still surprised at times that Disney ceded the control of their fleet to Lyft; I know that it was probably easier (and maybe cheaper) at the time that the Minnie Vans came into existence, but they have had plenty of time to incorporate their own dispatch system into the My Disney Experience app. I understand the logistics, I know why they might want to use an outside vendor for this service (not least because they can blame Lyft when your driver appears to cancel multiple times) but I still would prefer a single-app solution when I am at Disney World.

Oh well. I'm sure Bob Iger will call *any moment now* to tell me he's ready to hear all of my magnificent ideas for WDW! 😂 😂 😂

Thank you for all the responses! I really appreciate the help.

I did read that they can all fit two scooters, it just means less passengers. There are only five of us - including the scooters, so I think space wise we should be fine. And 20-30 minutes is actually fine for us, I figured I'd book on Lyft as we were on our way out of the room (or almost on our way) so that way it wouldn't be a long wait? We're staying at AKL Jambo house.

When I was looking online it was saying around $30 per trip - I was budgeting like $40 with tip and budgeting for two trips per day - I'm not sure if that amount seems reasonable? I figured if there were other times we needed transport outside of that, we could use the bus. We probably could do my mom on with one of us and then the rest go with my dad - so that is an option I didn't really think of, but I think my dad would prefer the minnie vans if we can make it work as he likes to stay with my mom. I'll just pay for it and not tell him how much it costs so he can't complain about me spending my money on him as he generally does lol

That picture is great! I was having trouble picturing how it would work. Thank you :)

We use Minnie Vans fairly regularly - but typically more at park close than open.

The expense can add up quickly; we tend to be generous with our tips.

You will need to budget your time differently, since there is no way to make a reservation in advance. It takes between 5 & 15 minutes per mobility device, depending on the driver's proficiency as well as the ability of the ECV driver to park inside the van.

Depending on what Resort hotel y'all are staying at, it may not be as difficult as you think to keep your travel party together in the mornings - you might have to wait for a second bus if it's important that you all stay together, but that just adds (on average) approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Park close is when things tend to get a bit crazier; everyone is tired and grumpy, and that's when we pop for a Minnie Van without hesitation.

Use the Lyft app - sign in and click on the "hamburger" (3 horizontal lines) menu in the upper left, go to Settings, make sure that the "Wheelchair Access" button is turned on. As long as you are on Disney Property, Minnie Vans will appear in your search results, both standard and accessible.

The Accessible drivers are amazing - if you get Joey, consider yourself super lucky; he is the sweetest, and we were so fortunate to ride with him more than once last year!
The last time we went and used accessible Minnie Vans (pre-covid) you called a special phone number to request the accessible Minnie Vans and they would setup a scheduled time. So how do you tell the system you have two mobility devices since not all of the accessible Minnie Vans handle more than one mobility device, but there are ones that do?

Thank you for all the responses! I really appreciate the help.

I did read that they can all fit two scooters, it just means less passengers. There are only five of us - including the scooters, so I think space wise we should be fine. And 20-30 minutes is actually fine for us, I figured I'd book on Lyft as we were on our way out of the room (or almost on our way) so that way it wouldn't be a long wait? We're staying at AKL Jambo house.

When I was looking online it was saying around $30 per trip - I was budgeting like $40 with tip and budgeting for two trips per day - I'm not sure if that amount seems reasonable? I figured if there were other times we needed transport outside of that, we could use the bus. We probably could do my mom on with one of us and then the rest go with my dad - so that is an option I didn't really think of, but I think my dad would prefer the minnie vans if we can make it work as he likes to stay with my mom. I'll just pay for it and not tell him how much it costs so he can't complain about me spending my money on him as he generally does lol

That picture is great! I was having trouble picturing how it would work. Thank you :)

Personally, I would budget $50 per trip - so $100 per day if you are averaging 2 Minnie Vans per day. I saw that only because I believe there is still “surge” pricing even though it’s technically Disney. So it may cost more at park open and close than if you call for a van at (for example) 2:00 pm. Better to have a budget that is too high than too low. (And all in all, I’m not sure you could rent a vehicle for $100/day that could accommodate 5 humans + 2 mobility devices, so still a bargain! Yay! Daughter Points ™ for you!)

Just remind Dad that renting the Minnie Van is still cheaper than renting a car - and to think of it like a tool to get a job done. Just like using a hammer to pound a nail, using a Minnie Van to move all of you *together* plus the mobility devices is just using the best tool at your disposal.

The last time we went and used accessible Minnie Vans (pre-covid) you called a special phone number to request the accessible Minnie Vans and they would setup a scheduled time. So how do you tell the system you have two mobility devices since not all of the accessible Minnie Vans handle more than one mobility device, but there are ones that do?

I recommend that anyone with that question speak to the Concierge at their Disney Resort Hotel (@gypsy_at_heart I know from lots of personal experience that the folks at Jambo House are nothing short of amazing) and ask what the current procedure is for more than 1 mobility device in a Minnie Van. Our family has 1 mobility device user (me) so I cannot personally speak to how to guarantee the “Sprinter” style vans. I know that in all of 2023, (across 4 trips that totaled more than 2 months) when we called for an accessible Minnie Van, we always got the “Sprinter” style.

Personally, I would budget $50 per trip - so $100 per day if you are averaging 2 Minnie Vans per day. I saw that only because I believe there is still “surge” pricing even though it’s technically Disney. So it may cost more at park open and close than if you call for a van at (for example) 2:00 pm. Better to have a budget that is too high than too low. (And all in all, I’m not sure you could rent a vehicle for $100/day that could accommodate 5 humans + 2 mobility devices, so still a bargain! Yay! Daughter Points ™ for you!)

Just remind Dad that renting the Minnie Van is still cheaper than renting a car - and to think of it like a tool to get a job done. Just like using a hammer to pound a nail, using a Minnie Van to move all of you *together* plus the mobility devices is just using the best tool at your disposal.

I recommend that anyone with that question speak to the Concierge at their Disney Resort Hotel (@gypsy_at_heart I know from lots of personal experience that the folks at Jambo House are nothing short of amazing) and ask what the current procedure is for more than 1 mobility device in a Minnie Van. Our family has 1 mobility device user (me) so I cannot personally speak to how to guarantee the “Sprinter” style vans. I know that in all of 2023, (across 4 trips that totaled more than 2 months) when we called for an accessible Minnie Van, we always got the “Sprinter” style.
And don't forget to add in the tip!

Haha! Sorry for the drama, but I just realized I found the answers to your questions - from this page:

Minnie Van™ Service

Have one of our Cast Members whisk you around Walt Disney World Resort in these stylish vehicles decorated with Minnie Mouse’s signature polka dots!

Accessible Minnie Van service is also available through the Lyft app. Any Guest can order an Accessible Minnie Van. Guests do not need to use the vehicle’s accessibility functions in order to book a ride in an Accessible Minnie Van.

Accessible Minnie Vans include the following:

• Seating for 5 people
  • One complimentary car seat (which can be used by one of the 5 passengers)
  • 2 spaces for mobility devices (Guests may remain in their mobility devices for the duration of the ride)
There is a maximum capacity of 7 Guests per Accessible Minnie Van.

Please note that Minnie Van service is not a complimentary transportation option and requires payment through the Lyft app on your mobile device.

Learn more about Minnie Van service transportation at Walt Disney World Resort.

This leads me to believe that all of the Accessible Minnie Vans are now the tall “sprinter” style, and the minivan Minnie Van style is no longer used for accessible devices.

…20-30 minutes is actually fine for us…
Not enough time. I start looking for a MV at minimum 45 mins before I want to be somewhere, 60 mins if we’re talking rope drop. Not only do you have to snag one, it takes time to load and unload 2 ECVs. If you can’t find an accessible van you will have to take a bus so you should budget enough time for that.

The whole system changed. Everything is booked via Lyft, you select MV or Accessible MV. All accessible MVs can hold 2 ECVs.
And don't forget to add in the tip!
Just a note to the OP- tipping MV drivers is optional. The drivers are salaried Disney CMs, not your normal rideshare drivers. Nothing wrong with tipping if you feel you got extra awesome service- but it is not practically obligatory like when you get a normal rideshare or taxi in the US.

Just a note to the OP- tipping MV drivers is optional. The drivers are salaried Disney CMs, not your normal rideshare drivers. Nothing wrong with tipping if you feel you got extra awesome service- but it is not practically obligatory like when you get a normal rideshare or taxi in the US.

Thanks for all the info :) Are you able to tip in the Lyft app? or should I carry cash? I'm Canadian, so I always like to try and figure out how much US cash I need ahead of time.

Haha! Sorry for the drama, but I just realized I found the answers to your questions - from this page:

Minnie Van™ Service

Have one of our Cast Members whisk you around Walt Disney World Resort in these stylish vehicles decorated with Minnie Mouse’s signature polka dots!

Accessible Minnie Van service is also available through the Lyft app. Any Guest can order an Accessible Minnie Van. Guests do not need to use the vehicle’s accessibility functions in order to book a ride in an Accessible Minnie Van.

Accessible Minnie Vans include the following:

• Seating for 5 people
  • One complimentary car seat (which can be used by one of the 5 passengers)
  • 2 spaces for mobility devices (Guests may remain in their mobility devices for the duration of the ride)
There is a maximum capacity of 7 Guests per Accessible Minnie Van.

Please note that Minnie Van service is not a complimentary transportation option and requires payment through the Lyft app on your mobile device.

Learn more about Minnie Van service transportation at Walt Disney World Resort.

This leads me to believe that all of the Accessible Minnie Vans are now the tall “sprinter” style, and the minivan Minnie Van style is no longer used for accessible devices.
We haven't used the Minnie Vans, but usually at once per trip we walk from Old Key West to Disney Springs. That path goes along the water with the surface parking lot nearest Cirque du Soleil and House of Blues. That just happens to be the parking/staging area for the Minnie Vans.
The last 2 trips, we saw only the tall "sprinter" size ones. Previously, we saw mini van type ones also. The "sprinter" ones we say in November 2023 were also longer than the ones I took pictures of in 2019
2019 Sprinter accessible Minnie VanFullSizeRender.jpeg

November 2023 Sprinter Style accessible Minnie Van
FullSizeRender.jpeg

We haven't used the Minnie Vans, but usually at once per trip we walk from Old Key West to Disney Springs. That path goes along the water with the surface parking lot nearest Cirque du Soleil and House of Blues. That just happens to be the parking/staging area for the Minnie Vans.
The last 2 trips, we saw only the tall "sprinter" size ones. Previously, we saw mini van type ones also. The "sprinter" ones we say in November 2023 were also longer than the ones I took pictures of in 2019
2019 Sprinter accessible Minnie VanView attachment 841486

November 2023 Sprinter Style accessible Minnie Van
View attachment 841487
The new longer style looks as though it could hold 4 devices (under the right circumstances), and one driver we had confirmed that she had loaded 3 devices on one occasion in the bigger style van. (despite the website saying that 2 is the max number of devices)

If we get to go next month (plans are contingent on my next round of chemo) I will try to get a good picture of the back of the new style. It's HUGE in there - but you can maybe only seat 4 adult people (if one sits in the front seat) besides the mobility device(s). So if you had a device user who wanted to transfer to a van seat, they would count against that 4. Does that make sense? 🤔

I’ve never used Lyft/Minnie Vans…how much do you tip? Percentage? Set dollar amount? Thanks ahead of time. 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter