Accessible room not by choice

New Mouse

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had the odd experience where they were put in an accessible room and a regular room was available?

It happened to me this last trip and I had to request a room change because the shower just didn't work right.

I find it odd they put people in a room they didn't request when the one they did request was obviously available.

Yes, it has happened to me as well. Don't care for it, but as long as everything works and is not too weird, I will usually keep the room. If it has a roll-in shower I will request a change. I hate those, water gets every where.

Yes. Had it happen a couple times. DVC books 100% most the time. Someone has to be in those rooms if they aren’t booked by someone who needs them. We just roll with it.

Yes we have been given one. Room assignments are done in advance..I have read at least 5 days ahead. so maybe when they did everything was full but an opening happened after that with a cancel.

We've been assigned an unrequested HA unit multiple times -- but I have no idea if a standard unit was also available for the same dates. Some configurations I can live with while others have caused me to go back to the front desk begging for a reassignment.

I especially hate the HA 1BR at AKV Jambo, Club Level. I will NOT book Club Level again for risk of getting that assignment.

This has only happened to me at VGC (twice) and after the 2nd time I started requesting "Anything but accessible room" for my room requests. Then they made it a separate category and now I don't need to make that request.

EDIT: a couple of curiosities I recall after thinking about it a bit more.
1) the 2nd time it happened I asked the front desk if it was an accessible room and they said it was. I was able to get them to change it before going to the room.
2) both times the reservation was made via stalking and pretty late notice. I strongly suspect I was the last to book in that category for that date. I wonder if the last-to-book is more like to be assigned the unwanted room or something (when it's available).

2) both times the reservation was made via stalking and pretty late notice. I strongly suspect I was the last to book in that category for that date. I wonder if the last-to-book is more like to be assigned the unwanted room or something (when it's available).
Unlikely. Room assignors have enough trouble without having to be aware of the order in which rooms are booked.

But they would have as I switched rooms after midnight which means the room I switched to was empty.

it is also possible that the room was assigned to someone who simply had not yet arrived Some do arrive late or early the next day.

But they gave it to you and that maybe that guest was then moved to a different room when they got there…we were upgraded once in a situation like this.

They gave our 1 bedroom to someone earlier in day and we were moved to a 2 bedroom instead.

Last edited:
I’ve been in HA rooms at HH 75% of my stays lately. not sure why. I guess no one is booking them.

At hilton head, i know a majority of the live oak lodge studio/1 bedrooms are HA. I have stayed in numerous of them as well.
Exactly. We always request the lodge, so that’s why. Also we only stay a couple of days while driving to and from WDW.

This has only happened to me at VGC (twice) and after the 2nd time I started requesting "Anything but accessible room" for my room requests. Then they made it a separate category and now I don't need to make that request.

EDIT: a couple of curiosities I recall after thinking about it a bit more.
1) the 2nd time it happened I asked the front desk if it was an accessible room and they said it was. I was able to get them to change it before going to the room.
Unlikely. Room assignors have enough trouble without having to be aware of the order in which rooms are booked.
Exactly. We always request the lodge, so that’s why. Also we only stay a couple of days while driving to and from WDW.
I had the experience of adding one night in a studio onto our stay at HHI the first week of October after having to cancel several nights at WDW the end of September. We kept the HHI nights in a 1-BR and added a night in a studio at the end that popped up just a few days before the trip. We ended up in a HA studio. So I suspect it has to do with last-minute bookings AND staying just a night or two.

I had the experience of adding one night in a studio onto our stay at HHI the first week of October after having to cancel several nights at WDW the end of September. We kept the HHI nights in a 1-BR and added a night in a studio at the end that popped up just a few days before the trip. We ended up in a HA studio. So I suspect it has to do with last-minute bookings AND staying just a night or two.
You likely booked after room assignments were made.

BWI front desk manager told me that they give the HA rooms to those who booked late. We had one that we hated but they wouldn’t look for us to be able to change rooms. We booked well before room assignments but not at the 11/7 month mark.

Fair point.

Though it could be part of how the reservation list is made available to the room assigners. The list of "here's the rooms you need to assign today" has to be sorted in some way, actually seems pretty reasonable that it would be based on booking date. This sorting could be done completely invisibly to them, too, so they wouldn't even know it was based on this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter