Accessible room not by choice

Since you all are experts, what is the roll in shower like and tub/shower set up? Also in what rooms are the beds lower? This past trip, we brought a half step for DH to get in and out of bed.
The roll-in showers we've had had an angled tile edge like a ramp. Nothing at all to step over unlike the lip the walk-in showers have. However, that ramp can let water leak out onto the floor. If you're careful to tilt showerheads away from that edge, you can reduce the leakage somewhat.

The roll-in showers at VGF1 have built-in benches with a handheld showerhead and a rainfall showerhead. That makes it easier for those not needing the HA features.

The tub-shower HA combo we once had was a pretty standard one with grab bars and a portable bench. DH has difficulty stepping into/out of a tub so prefers the roll-in shower and books that whenever we can.

One drawback of the VGF1 roll-in shower villas is that they're lake view. So, you may need more points than you anticipated using if you decide to try booking this type there.

ETA: DH says the HA beds are slightly higher, because it's easier to lift up a bit when transferring from chair to bed.

One major drawback in the VGF HA studios is that the hanging clothes section of the closet is extremely narrow. There are several shelves alongside it but hardly any room for clothes needing to be hung. That's one reason why we bought enough more points to book a 1br every trip.

We've only stayed there and once in BRV, so I don't know what the HA rooms are like anywhere else.

Last edited:
I’ve been in HA rooms at HH 75% of my stays lately. not sure why. I guess no one is booking them.
Not surprising to me.

Having a beach wheelchair doesn't necessarily make a beach more accessible for families with a disabled person. Someone needing a customized wheelchair to enable them to sit upright safely or needing motorized controls might not be able to use a beach wheelchair at all. That could be especially so for a child requiring a smaller chair than those available.

I can understand why HH stays may not appeal much to families needing an HA room. Having much fun at a beach can be immensely more complicated for mobility impaired people. Others may feel as we do. Why try it when it would take so much more effort for not much reward?

Yes I was given an accessible studio one night on my first DVC trip (split stay to test out lots of resorts). I begged to be changed but they couldn’t. It was a big problem as I soak my aches on a regular cycle when doing Disney and that was one of the nights I was supposed to soak. I managed to get a bath the following night instead but it’s not only children that need the tub (chronic pain condition). Every time since then I put that I need a tub on my room request but I didn’t know until that first painful night that it was necessary.

Every time since then I put that I need a tub on my room request but I didn’t know until that first painful night that it was necessary.
Yours is clearly reason to book an HA tub/shower room, I'd say. Since it's a bookable category, you can then be assured of having a tub.

Otherwise, as we all know well, you may/may not get what's merely requested.

I have an upcoming one-bedroom club level villa at Jambo... can anyone who stayed there give details on why you did not like the Jambo Club Level HA 1-bedroom? (Hoping I don't get assigned to HA, but just want to be prepared for what it is like in case that is what we get.)

For those of you who don't want HA, but sometimes get one, you might want to stay at Kidani in a Savannah view studio. Last week I stayed there, and since I had a very sore knee and also since I'd been reading from everyone here (15+ years ago we were there with you, getting HA villas but not wanting/needing them), I asked at check in if there was a HA savannah view studio available, I'd be willing to take it. Surprisingly she said that there were only two HA savannah view studios in the entire building and they were both occupied.

I have an upcoming one-bedroom club level villa at Jambo... can anyone who stayed there give details on why you did not like the Jambo Club Level HA 1-bedroom? (Hoping I don't get assigned to HA, but just want to be prepared for what it is like in case that is what we get.)
This was years ago ... perhaps some of my complaints have been addressed since our visit. From my fading memory:

1. There were no "closets" -- rather, instead, there was only a smallish mansrobe. It was mostly insufficient for our gear.

2. ALL the surface, racks and hooks were low. Not just "some" to assist the wheelchair guest but 100% of the the kitchen surfaces, towel racks, towel/robe hooks were reachable from the chair. This seemed, to us as rather tall people, an overkill. Couldn't there be a compromise? Some lowered and some at normal height?

3. The roll-in shower flooded the entire bathroom floor. Housekeeping, aware of the hazard, had left an abundance of towels, but trying to manage the water was ridiculous. Trying to hang the towels, between use, for drying became quite the joke given how/where they placed the (lowered) towel racks.

4. The location has a very compromised Savanah view. The unit was tucked far into a corner, had the thatched roofing obscuring some of the view ... and had only one ostrich visiting the space.

5. (related to #3 above): No Jetted Tub! Worse, no tub whatsoever. (This was something I was eagerly looking forward to having come from a long conference at the Boardwalk. In fact, it was a particularly sore point for me.)

6 & 7. The room is simply so, so, so, so dark. Again, we had come from BWV from "light and airy" to a room themed in dark woods, tucked into a corner with partly obscured outdoor lighting given the thatched roof. While I was still acclimating to the darkness, it struck me that the kitchen had NO cabinet covers. All were left off for easier wheelchair access ... and I simply thought it looked ugly. (Given: I was already in a rather sour mood at this point. I was "fault finding.")

Anyway ... we've since enjoyed several other stays at Animal Kingdom Villas in both Jamba and Kidani. We've never revisited the Club Level.

EDITED TO ADD: We frequently stay in the "HA Wheelchair Accessible with TUB" studio at VGC. Love that unit! The bed is lower and there is less furniture (to create more floorspace) but the unit is 100% functional for us. We have also stayed in a 1BR HA unit at VGC with roll-in shower without ANY problems managing water on the floor. The shower floor design worked perfectly -- and water drained exactly as it should. We've also stayed in HA units at DVH w/out having complaint. There was just something really poorly designed at the AKV Club Level 1BR HA unit. (Never again!)

EDITING AGAIN to add links to prior comments I've made about this room ... in case my memory has gone sideways:
Oct 2019: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...within-moments-of-the-7-month-window.3774267/
Apr 2014: This post suggests our "one and done" stay at AKV CL 1BR was in 2011'ish?? (The post is 2014 and I'm referring to a stay "a few years back." Nothing particularly valuable from my post other than to suggest it has been a really l-o-n-g time since our CL stay.)

I've given up looking for older posts. I did find evidence that our visit was in Jan 2008 ... but posts from that period now seem to have been removed/lost. (I'm hitting "ERROR 404" on older links. Oh, well.) I also found that in some random comment, that the shower drain in our bathroom was in the dead center of the room (not in the shower space itself) and that the grab-bars doubled as towel racks (quite low, thus, towels were touching the floor). I also spotted a post from another user suggesting that their HA unit had a tub, of sorts, but it shallow compared to expectations. So, perhaps the bathroom has enjoyed a refurb/improvement, of sorts, since 2008.

Last edited:

I need a shower, and bought at VGF specifically for studio stays because they have a shower stall! At least 3 times over the years, I had been given a HA studio there with a tub and no shower. I cannot walk into a tub…it’s unusable….I was told to put a request in whenever I book a GF studio that I need the shower stall. However, since the last time they gave me the HA studio with only the tub, I have not booked at the GF, I have been afraid of getting something I can’t use.

I am taking a chance this September because we want to go to MNSSHP after a DCL cruise, and the 40 points I had left was exactly the number needed for VGF SV studio for the dates I wanted. So, I have made the request for the booking at 11 months.

I have had the HA CL 1 bedroom at Jambo with the roll in shower, and we had no problems at all! I am not in a wheelchair but have limited mobility.

I had one in Club Level at Jambo House and did not mind at all. The regular one bedrooms have that huge spa tub thing you have to shower in, but the HA room had the roll in shower which was an improvement for me. I am staying at Kidani the next time because the have stand-alone showers in the 1 bdrms.

This seemed, to us as rather tall people, an overkill. Couldn't there be a compromise? Some lowered and some at normal height?
Consider that you felt inconvenienced for a few days. That is how many persons with disabilities feel daily.

I was given two HA rooms (Treehouse and 2BR) at SSR on the same trip. I wanted the nice primary bathroom of the Treehouses which the assigned HA did not have. They moved us to a Treehouse available a few hours later. My guests in the 2 BR didn't say a thing and I didn't realize it until going to their unit a day or two later.

Thank you so much, bwvBound! This info is extremely helpful and I appreciate having these details for my upcoming stay. :)

Years ago we were put in one at our home at BWV. We decided to stay in it because it was on the 1st floor facing the pool.

I stayed in a handicapped accessible Club level 1-bedroom that has a tub with a shower in it, not a roll-in shower. That was back in 2014. My notes say:

The tub is very high: 18 inches. My tub at home is only 12 inches. There are grab bars in tub. There are no anti-slip treads in the tub. It gets very slippery.

There are no drawers or shelves under the bathroom sink. There was one shelf over the sink. The sink did have a big counter. There is no second sink in the tub area.

There is a closet which contains the safe and has the high chair in it [remember this was 2014]. Neither of those has a rod. There is an armoire in the bedroom which has a rod in it, but it is short. It is 40 inches from the rod to the floor. There is nowhere to hang a dress or a long coat. They don’t even have a hook to hang the bathrobe (although they do supply a bathrobe because it’s club level).

Best Aunt, Thank you for your info regarding the Jambo 1-bedroom club level; I appreciate your observations… and it reminded me to definitely pack my over-the-door hooks and hangers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter