Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the person told the security it was a service dog, they have to let them in. Nothing further can be done with current laws.

As far as Boardwalk, based on the above Pet Agreement for POR there are no rules on where a dog can walk in a resort other than Food, Pool, Fitness and Lounge.

Seems strange that they don't require the pet to be crated while in the room unsupervised, just available in case of emergency or transport. What happen to the 30 minute thing? Or was that a phone report from early on, don't remember...

Nothing a CM on a phone says means anything. They are not at hotels, they might not be in Orlando, they have no authority and usually don't even have good info. And it was reported that BW CMs at the front desk told guest who inquired they had no info on dog rules.

So, someone posted the Pet Agreement from POR ............... just PRICELESS.

There is NO mention of Pet Relief areas to be used, there is NO mention of restricting dogs to certain areas of resort, there is no restriction from walking to POFQ, there are NO restrictions on pathways, walkways and most public areas.

Some thoughts in red.

DISNEY'S PORT ORLEANS RESORT - RIVERSIDE PET AGREEMENT (This agreement applies to domesticated dogs only, other than Service Animals) The hotel may accommodate my pet in the room provided that my pet is fully trained and appropriately restrained by me. The hotel allows no more than two domesticated dogs per room. In consideration for the hotel permitting me to keep my pet in the room assigned to me, I hereby agree to the following:

1. I agree to pay a non-refundable fee for my pet of $50 (plus tax) per room, per night.
2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.
3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.
4. I must keep my pet restrained on a leash or in a pet carrier when my pet is outside my guest room. Unattended pets may be removed from the property at the expense of the pet owner.

No mention of what areas of the resort, neighbouring resorts or other resorts are off limits to
dogs.
5. I must not leave my pet in my room unattended for more than 7 hours.
6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.
7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

No mention of what transportation services are off limits to dogs.
8. I am responsible for my pet's proper care, behavior and pet waste maintenance throughout the hotel and on the grounds. I am responsible for cleaning up after my pet on hotel property.
No mention of pet relief areas.
9. I agree that I am responsible for the noise my pet creates and will ensure that my pet does not disrupt the quiet enjoyment of other hotel guests. I agree that should the hotel determine in its sole discretion that my pet is objectionable to other hotel guests, I must immediately make other arrangements to house the pet outside the hotel.
No mention of what constitutes a noise disturbance that would
result in the dog being accommodated elsewhere.
10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.
No mention of the 30 minute response outlined in the official policy that has been posted. No mention of the consequences to a resort guest that is unavailable or refuses to answer the call.
11. I understand that pets are not permitted in Walt Disney World® Resort theme parks and water parks or the Disney Springs® area.
12. I understand that pets are not permitted in Food and Beverage, Club Lounge, Pool or Fitness Center areas.
13. I understand that pets are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises.

Does this mean that dogs aren't allowed on furniture in guest rooms? They are on the premises. How does that work?
14. I understand that the bathing and grooming of pets is not permitted in the guest room.
If a dog gets muddy, say post Florida Thunderstorm while using the pet relief area what then? They return to the guest room and potentially stain/damage the soft goods but cannot be bathed in the bathroom facilities in room? They aren't allowed in the pool facilities so they can't be cleaned in the change rooms/bathrooms there? This seems to put pet owners in a difficult situation. Will the damage/stains be charged to the hotel folio?
15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room.
16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.
17. I understand and agree that if my pet is involved in an incident involving a bite and current rabies vaccination cannot be verified, it may be necessary to quarantine my pet, subject to the discretion of the local health authority.
18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties.

This does not indemnify Disney of all liability. Only pet owners are signing this waiver. Unless they have all guests at the trial resorts sign a waiver acknowledging that the property is now pet friendly and that they are assuming risk associated with staying at a property that welcomes dogs they are still open to litigation from guests that experience an incident with a dog staying onsite.

Last edited:
I fired off another email and received a reply that the cast member from George K's office with whom I spoke with last Thursday will be calling me tomorrow.
I am not very hopeful as to what will come of the phone call, since it seems the assurances from the offices regarding adhering to and maintaining of rules don't find their way to those that need to know.

Seems strange that they don't require the pet to be crated while in the room unsupervised, just available in case of emergency or transport. What happen to the 30 minute thing? Or was that a phone report from early on, don't remember...

The 30 minute response thing is in the official written policy that they posted on the Disney Parks Blog. There are so many inconsistencies between what they have posted officially and the waiver they are having guests sign that it makes my head spin.

The 30 minute response thing is in the official written policy that they posted on the Disney Parks Blog. There are so many inconsistencies between what they have posted officially and the waiver they are having guests sign that it makes my head spin.

Ah, thanks - I knew it came from somewhere but I was spacing it - seems odd it doesn't match up with waiver, maybe an adjustment if people didn't think it was possible/enforceable?

EXCELLENT catch. So right now other guests simply have no real expectation of peace. It will be completely up to WDW discretion.

Best part ... they don't have to be crated while you are gone but they "...are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises." So I guess we are going to trust the dogs to stay on the floor ..... let alone where they will sleep at night.

So after all the complaints and concerns .......... the actual Pet Policy is even MORE LAX then the proposed ones.

The old "you can't make this stuff up" applies. o_O

Last edited:
EXCELLENT catch. So right now other guests simply have no real expectation of peace. It will be completely up to WDW discretion.

Best part ... they don't have to be crated while you are gone but they "...are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises." So I guess we are going to trust the dogs to stay on the floor ..... let alone where they will sleep at night.

So after all the complaints and concerns .......... the actual Pet Policy is even MORE LAX then the proposed ones. The old "you can't make this stuff up" applies.

I was thinking about the expectation of peace (so to speak) since they've made it more vague, but also the safety of the dog or CMs in case of emergency. I've mentioned the fire alarm at the YC last year. That was an actual situation with the construction there, not a drill or someone pulling the alarm. I have no idea how serious, obviously not very serious at all since we were let back in eventually, but it wasn't a drill and we were outside for a long time. If a CM is supposed to evacuate your pet, how does that work? I understand there are lots of pet friendly hotels so maybe someone has experienced this, but I've never brought my dogs to a hotel, and at WDW there are guests that are gone for a while and/or quite a distance away at a park...

ETA: I'm guessing most people would crate their dog if they were out of the room, but I don't know, our last dog wasn't a big crate guy but we didn't travel with him much.

I was thinking about the expectation of peace (so to speak) since they've made it more vague, but also the safety of the dog or CMs in case of emergency. I've mentioned the fire alarm at the YC last year. That was an actual situation with the construction there, not a drill or someone pulling the alarm. I have no idea how serious, obviously not very serious at all since we were let back in eventually, but it wasn't a drill and we were outside for a long time. If a CM is supposed to evacuate your pet, how does that work? I understand there are lots of pet friendly hotels so maybe someone has experienced this, but I've never brought my dogs to a hotel, and at WDW there are guests that are gone for a while and/or quite a distance away at a park...

Disclaimer: Have two very spoiled dogs.

I do not believe that any CM should put themselves in any jeopardy to get a dog out of a room. They have no idea, with alarms/sirens particularly, how a dog will react to them let alone how much time they have themselves to get out. The removal of animals should be left up to the fire department. If CMs were to go down hallways, my hope is they bang on every door to alert everyone as they themselves got out.

Having been in MULTIPLE (I'm a magnet) fire emergency evacuations ... NOT ONCE were there an employees of such hotel/condo building assisting guests/residents get outside, help carry anything, hold doors etc. ALL are to evacuate.

That said, if I were ever traveling with pets I would put sign in room's window or on door that they are inside so fireman would know.

This thread is moving away from it's original intent: a place to report and discuss actual dog sightings and experiences.

There is another thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/trial-run-for-dogs-in-resort-rooms.3640424 to dicuss policy.

Of course, people can continue to morph this thread into another policy thread but then we risk having the two threads combined. If that happens, we lose a place to discuss actual dog sightings and experiences without wading through endless policy discussion and "what if" scenarios.

Has anyone been granted a hotel move due to this policy? And if so have they charged you to move resorts?

Since many discounts were available at time of booking they are no longer valid. Do they adhere to previous discount?

Thanks

But by ADA definition, the dog must be trained. I'll agree that dogs who can sense seizures, diabetic lows, etc. most likely have some inherent ability, but they also must be trained. Part of that training should be obedience. A true service dog "on duty" should never react to other dogs or people or other stimuli - except to protect his person.

Providing "emotional support" does not qualify as a service dog. Some PTSD dogs are trained in other tasks, and therefore are service dogs. Those who simply calm fears by being near are not. What you mention are not tasks a dog has been trained to perform, therefore not a service animal. No gray area to interpret. But I do agree with you that people who wish to abuse or cheat the system can do so easily by being prepared with the "right" responses that cannot be challenged.

I do not think the new policy will have any particular increase in "fake" service dogs. People who were so inclined would have brought their dog without a pet-friendly policy.

I would like to point out and sorry if I am being the devils advocate, but to point out why we have abuse.

ADA does not state the dog must be trained as you state. The law states the dog must be trained to do a task or work for a disabled individual. That is much much different than stating the dog must be trained. I think of a trained dog as going to obedience school, I think of a trained dog as one who knows sit, down and stay. I think of a trained dog as one who walks on a leash without pulling. ADA does not make any claim what so ever that a service dog needs any of that training. It states the dog is a service animal if trained in a task or to perform work. Which means the most i ruling dog who detects seizures would follow under ADA law, even if he pees on the floor, pulls you down the street, or jumps up on people ( then you have to rely on the laws or policies a business has or city has) like all dogs must be on leash, or all dogs can be held responsible for damage, yet we already know that Disney can not train CM to iliminate fake service dogs.

Do I like this no, and I can see both sides of the fence, some people who need service animals can find then at a pound and train them to do a task, does not in my opinion mean they should take that dog into public, unless they are going to make a few more adjustments, like obedience, like house training, like being spayed or neutered, like not being overly friendly and so on, ADA does not state any of that has to be done for or with a service dog, all they state is the dog must be trained to do a task. Many many dogs can and do fall under ADA laws that are not trained as we would normally think of trained dogs.

On the other hand, the person who said we all have this picture of a service dog in our head and assume it is correct. Yes, people see my dog out and about and see this well behavied dog 99% of the time. They don't see this dog at home. Every time and I mean every time the dog knocks or bell rings we are in a fight as to whom gets to open that door and whom needs not to be so excited they jump or wag the tail hitting someone off the steps. And my dog comes from Guiding eyes for the blind, $60000 worth of training. She is my everything, and at home she knows that ihe is not allowed on furniture, she also knows not to get in bed at night unless told she can, but on the few occasions I leave her home guess what, she climbs on the couch, she claims on the bed.

In May I was at Epcot, before it opened to the public, waiting for a tour of the gardens. I had my dog down in a down position, harness on, leash lose and was just chilling. Remember Disney has millions of distractions, smells, kids and it over tasks even the best of dogs. A bunny I am told ran right across the dogs nose, the dog jumped and ran, I thankfully remembered commands and yelled Leave it, sit, down stay and the dog obeyed. Everyone around me was apologized to, I was so upset as to how they may feel, they were all fine they were not in awe that the dog ran after the bunny they all had dropped faces because I was able to remember those commands that fast and that the dog obeyed them immediately.

That is what the ADA law should actually be, trained each dog that well and no one will have a problem. My dog is a dog, she was taught not to be distracted by other animals, but at no point in training did they make a cat or bunny or squirrel run across her nose and actually distract her that way, I'm sure and as a dog her instincts took over and she chased. They law that covers it is the is usually city law, that states dogs must be in the handlers control at all time, or be able to quickly get the dog under control. Under ADA it states that a service dog can be asked to leave a public place if the handler does not have control of the animal or if they can not quickly maintain control of the animal.

So my points are no where does ADA state a dog has to be trained in obedience, a loop hole in the law if you ask me. The law states it has to be trained to perform a task. The law that states dogs have to be in control is usually city laws, ADA does state a service animal can be removed it if is not housebroken, which includes peeing, jumping on furniture or people, or when the handler can not get the dog under control, so a dog that runs 50 ft to say yellow without the handler giving a command and the dog following it to me would be a dog unable to stay in public.

Until they fix some of the laws we will have more and more fake service animals and we will have ligitimate untrained in obedience service animals. When people ask me how do you tell a real service animal? Well you can't but there are signs I would look for, if you are trying to cut down on service animal abuse.

Is the dog spayed or neutered, if not probably not a service animal. Why, because it causes a distraction even if you can control your dog, you can't control other dogs so you will have distractions.

Does the handler have control of the dog, thru voice commands or leash corrections, which also means that by every city law I have ever seen would have a leash no longer than 8 ft. If it is a retractable leash, not a service animal because the longer the leash the less control you have.

Does the dog bark at things other than to alert a person, of say a seizure or a diabetic low, if so probably not a service animal.

Is the dog carried or in a lap, not a service animal, we learned in school all paws on the floor at all times no matter what the service the dog is doing, if all four paws are not on the floor than not a service animal, a small dog needs to be on the floor but can be trained to jump on the lap if detecting a diabetic low or a seizure but they need to start on the floor.

When in public is the dog comfortable with how to get on a bus, how to immediately sit on the ground, or under a table, or in a booth, if the dog seems to want to sniff, walk around, has no clue how to get on a bus or sit down than most likely not a service animal, because these should be done daily every day at home not just at Disney or out in public on vacation.

My dog does wrong many times a day. She is now three years old and I have to do obedience work with her daily. I have to work with her on many things. And some days she is just as distracted as a 7 year old and I have to stop in the middle of Disney and get out some treats and work with her to get her focused again.

The public needs to be educated that even service dogs are not these 100% well trained animals, they do make mistakes it is up to the handler to get and keep them in control. The public should be aware of what a true service animal should look like, which is difficult, but there are some businesses that are starting to question more with the public help. Not long ago in Costco we ran across a barking dog, the first time I said leave it and walked away, but by the third time we ran into the dog and they barked it was interfering with my shopping, so I went and got a manager. He said well it is a service dog also, I said then it needs to be in control and behaved or it needs to be placed in the car, so he followed me and saw my dog ignored the other dog, but the other dog barked, pulled and fought every time we turned a corner and ran into each other. He asked the lady once to get the dog in control, we walked around the corner the dog barked and he asked the dog to be taken outside because it was not in contro, it was doing other things also, like eating from the kids hands when they got free samples. Anyway, I take it upon myself to educate the public and businesses, I carry a small card with ADA laws, and I tell them how to spot or ask to have service dogs who do not behave removed. Because it effects me and my ability to access the public when I have to deal with 20 fake or not trained service dogs a day when I am doing my business.

Some thoughts in red.

DISNEY'S PORT ORLEANS RESORT - RIVERSIDE PET AGREEMENT (This agreement applies to domesticated dogs only, other than Service Animals) The hotel may accommodate my pet in the room provided that my pet is fully trained and appropriately restrained by me. The hotel allows no more than two domesticated dogs per room. In consideration for the hotel permitting me to keep my pet in the room assigned to me, I hereby agree to the following:

1. I agree to pay a non-refundable fee for my pet of $50 (plus tax) per room, per night.
2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.
3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.
4. I must keep my pet restrained on a leash or in a pet carrier when my pet is outside my guest room. Unattended pets may be removed from the property at the expense of the pet owner.

No mention of what areas of the resort, neighbouring resorts or other resorts are off limits to
dogs.
6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.
7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

8. I am responsible for my pet's proper care, behavior and pet waste maintenance throughout the hotel and on the grounds. I am responsible for cleaning up after my pet on hotel property.
9. I agree that I am responsible for the noise my pet creates and will ensure that my pet does not disrupt the quiet enjoyment of other hotel guests. I agree that should the hotel determine in its sole discretion that my pet is objectionable to other hotel guests, I must immediately make other arrangements to house the pet outside the hotel.
10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.
No mention of the 30 minute response outlined in the official policy that has been posted. No mention of the consequences to a resort guest that is unavailable or refuses to answer the call.
11. I understand that pets are not permitted in Walt Disney World® Resort theme parks and water parks or the Disney Springs® area.
12. I understand that pets are not permitted in Food and Beverage, Club Lounge, Pool or Fitness Center areas.
13. I understand that pets are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises.

Does this mean that dogs aren't allowed on furniture in guest rooms? They are on the premises. How does that work?
14. I understand that the bathing and grooming of pets is not permitted in the guest room.
If a dog gets muddy, say post Florida Thunderstorm while using the pet relief area what then? They return to the guest room and potentially stain/damage the soft goods but cannot be bathed in the bathroom facilities in room? They aren't allowed in the pool facilities so they can't be cleaned in the change rooms/bathrooms there? This seems to put pet owners in a difficult situation. Will the damage/stains be charged to the hotel folio?
15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room.
16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.
17. I understand and agree that if my pet is involved in an incident involving a bite and current rabies vaccination cannot be verified, it may be necessary to quarantine my pet, subject to the discretion of the local health authority.
18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties.

This does not indemnify Disney of all liability. Only pet owners are signing this waiver. Unless they have all guests at the trial resorts sign a waiver acknowledging that the property is now pet friendly and that they are assuming risk associated with staying at a property that welcomes dogs they are still open to litigation from guests that experience an incident with a dog staying onsite.
Makes me wonder how much Disney Legal was involved in this statement.

Some thoughts in red.

dogs.

Please consider sending these very valid comments in an email to upper management.

I would like to point out and sorry if I am being the devils advocate, but to point out why we have abuse.

ADA does not state the dog must be trained as you state. The law states the dog must be trained to do a task or work for a disabled individual. That is much much different than stating the dog must be trained. I think of a trained dog as going to obedience school, I think of a trained dog as one who knows sit, down and stay. I think of a trained dog as one who walks on a leash without pulling. ADA does not make any claim what so ever that a service dog needs any of that training. It states the dog is a service animal if trained in a task or to perform work. Which means the most i ruling dog who detects seizures would follow under ADA law, even if he pees on the floor, pulls you down the street, or jumps up on people ( then you have to rely on the laws or policies a business has or city has) like all dogs must be on leash, or all dogs can be held responsible for damage, yet we already know that Disney can not train CM to iliminate fake service dogs.

Do I like this no, and I can see both sides of the fence, some people who need service animals can find then at a pound and train them to do a task, does not in my opinion mean they should take that dog into public, unless they are going to make a few more adjustments, like obedience, like house training, like being spayed or neutered, like not being overly friendly and so on, ADA does not state any of that has to be done for or with a service dog, all they state is the dog must be trained to do a task. Many many dogs can and do fall under ADA laws that are not trained as we would normally think of trained dogs.

On the other hand, the person who said we all have this picture of a service dog in our head and assume it is correct. Yes, people see my dog out and about and see this well behavied dog 99% of the time. They don't see this dog at home. Every time and I mean every time the dog knocks or bell rings we are in a fight as to whom gets to open that door and whom needs not to be so excited they jump or wag the tail hitting someone off the steps. And my dog comes from Guiding eyes for the blind, $60000 worth of training. She is my everything, and at home she knows that ihe is not allowed on furniture, she also knows not to get in bed at night unless told she can, but on the few occasions I leave her home guess what, she climbs on the couch, she claims on the bed.

In May I was at Epcot, before it opened to the public, waiting for a tour of the gardens. I had my dog down in a down position, harness on, leash lose and was just chilling. Remember Disney has millions of distractions, smells, kids and it over tasks even the best of dogs. A bunny I am told ran right across the dogs nose, the dog jumped and ran, I thankfully remembered commands and yelled Leave it, sit, down stay and the dog obeyed. Everyone around me was apologized to, I was so upset as to how they may feel, they were all fine they were not in awe that the dog ran after the bunny they all had dropped faces because I was able to remember those commands that fast and that the dog obeyed them immediately.

That is what the ADA law should actually be, trained each dog that well and no one will have a problem. My dog is a dog, she was taught not to be distracted by other animals, but at no point in training did they make a cat or bunny or squirrel run across her nose and actually distract her that way, I'm sure and as a dog her instincts took over and she chased. They law that covers it is the is usually city law, that states dogs must be in the handlers control at all time, or be able to quickly get the dog under control. Under ADA it states that a service dog can be asked to leave a public place if the handler does not have control of the animal or if they can not quickly maintain control of the animal.

So my points are no where does ADA state a dog has to be trained in obedience, a loop hole in the law if you ask me. The law states it has to be trained to perform a task. The law that states dogs have to be in control is usually city laws, ADA does state a service animal can be removed it if is not housebroken, which includes peeing, jumping on furniture or people, or when the handler can not get the dog under control, so a dog that runs 50 ft to say yellow without the handler giving a command and the dog following it to me would be a dog unable to stay in public.

Until they fix some of the laws we will have more and more fake service animals and we will have ligitimate untrained in obedience service animals. When people ask me how do you tell a real service animal? Well you can't but there are signs I would look for, if you are trying to cut down on service animal abuse.

Is the dog spayed or neutered, if not probably not a service animal. Why, because it causes a distraction even if you can control your dog, you can't control other dogs so you will have distractions.

Does the handler have control of the dog, thru voice commands or leash corrections, which also means that by every city law I have ever seen would have a leash no longer than 8 ft. If it is a retractable leash, not a service animal because the longer the leash the less control you have.

Does the dog bark at things other than to alert a person, of say a seizure or a diabetic low, if so probably not a service animal.

Is the dog carried or in a lap, not a service animal, we learned in school all paws on the floor at all times no matter what the service the dog is doing, if all four paws are not on the floor than not a service animal, a small dog needs to be on the floor but can be trained to jump on the lap if detecting a diabetic low or a seizure but they need to start on the floor.

When in public is the dog comfortable with how to get on a bus, how to immediately sit on the ground, or under a table, or in a booth, if the dog seems to want to sniff, walk around, has no clue how to get on a bus or sit down than most likely not a service animal, because these should be done daily every day at home not just at Disney or out in public on vacation.

My dog does wrong many times a day. She is now three years old and I have to do obedience work with her daily. I have to work with her on many things. And some days she is just as distracted as a 7 year old and I have to stop in the middle of Disney and get out some treats and work with her to get her focused again.

The public needs to be educated that even service dogs are not these 100% well trained animals, they do make mistakes it is up to the handler to get and keep them in control. The public should be aware of what a true service animal should look like, which is difficult, but there are some businesses that are starting to question more with the public help. Not long ago in Costco we ran across a barking dog, the first time I said leave it and walked away, but by the third time we ran into the dog and they barked it was interfering with my shopping, so I went and got a manager. He said well it is a service dog also, I said then it needs to be in control and behaved or it needs to be placed in the car, so he followed me and saw my dog ignored the other dog, but the other dog barked, pulled and fought every time we turned a corner and ran into each other. He asked the lady once to get the dog in control, we walked around the corner the dog barked and he asked the dog to be taken outside because it was not in contro, it was doing other things also, like eating from the kids hands when they got free samples. Anyway, I take it upon myself to educate the public and businesses, I carry a small card with ADA laws, and I tell them how to spot or ask to have service dogs who do not behave removed. Because it effects me and my ability to access the public when I have to deal with 20 fake or not trained service dogs a day when I am doing my business.
We have over a dozen service dogs in the federal complex where I work and never seen anything but professionals at work and some of this discussion may be moot soon after many years the organizations that do train service dogs have complained and complained about fake service dogs and Congress is ever so slowly looking at reforming parts of the ADA lay concerning service animals by closing some of the most obvious loopholes. What thing I cannot understand is the part about not proving a service dog is a service dog when they do so in federal courthouses.

This thread is moving away from it's original intent: a place to report and discuss actual dog sightings and experiences.

There is another thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/trial-run-for-dogs-in-resort-rooms.3640424 to dicuss policy.

Of course, people can continue to morph this thread into another policy thread but then we risk having the two threads combined. If that happens, we lose a place to discuss actual dog sightings and experiences without wading through endless policy discussion and "what if" scenarios.

I agree with this post :goodvibes

Let's keep this thread free of opinion and speculation and as neutral as we can.

Just the facts folks!

PS: I heard there's another dog thread for opinions...I don't think it has gotten many responses though :rotfl:

ADA does not state the dog must be trained as you state.

My statement was in direct response to someone suggesting a service dog for seizures might be "some random dog I get at the shelter can sense [seizures] and save his life..." I was pointing out that the dog must be trained, not simply able to sense the seizures. You are correct that I didn't clearly state the dog must be trained to perform the task. Within the context, I thought my intent was clear but I apologize it wasn't. However, I do find it hard to believe that a dog would successfully go through any degree of training to perform a task related to the disability without having some degree of obedience training included. I suppose anything is possible, but I still think that's the exception and far from the norm.

I can't argue with you about the fact that current law has loopholes, and there are people who exploit said loopholes.

Nothing a CM on a phone says means anything. They are not at hotels, they might not be in Orlando, they have no authority and usually don't even have good info. And it was reported that BW CMs at the front desk told guest who inquired they had no info on dog rules.

FWIW, I know that the phone call I received back from WDW was from a woman CM who called saying she was responding from George K's dept. So not a random CM at a call center.
That said, there is going to be a lot of "winging it" from my impression of that conversation. They were certainly not expecting the level of negative response to this policy and there were definitely details they were still working on (as of 10/17, so they clearly had not worked out all details prior to roll-out).

FWIW, I know that the phone call I received back from WDW was from a woman CM who called saying she was responding from George K's dept. So not a random CM at a call center.
That said, there is going to be a lot of "winging it" from my impression of that conversation. They were certainly not expecting the level of negative response to this policy and there were definitely details they were still working on (as of 10/17, so they clearly had not worked out all details prior to roll-out).
Which is par for the course. They put things into play before they work out all the bugs.

Thank you for posting this. I think it is very informative/helpful info.

I think those poodles are local from a service dog training program that brings the dogs to the parks regularly for training. I see them on every trip.

Same here. I've seen them in DHS on our last 15 trips. If I don't see the poodles, I start worrying something happened to them. But, they always turn up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter