Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were originally booked at BC (Standard View) and basically got a free upgrade to our first ever Club Level YC with a water view when those deals hit a few weeks ago. We were so excited! Then shortly after the dog announcement came out. Like others I'm concerned with barking, allergies, etc. So our Dreams Unlimited agent spoke to Guest Services on our behalf regarding dogs. I hope it's ok to quote them here in the interest of helping. Interestingly, I have heard GS has a "consumer" side who talks to us regular folk and a "Travel Agent" side that is used to talking to the pros and can be a more reliable source. Anyways, TA Guest Services confirmed that the "Club Level rooms at Yacht Club are NOT part of the pilot. So there will be no dogs in the YC Club Level area at all." Second, Guest Services confirmed the official FAQ where it says: there will be certain rooms/floors/buildings at the different resorts that will be designated for dogs, while the majority of the resort will be dog-free."

So our choice became stay at another resort (BC was not one of them) Standard View or stay with YC, Club Level with water view, but risk some dogs barking below us. Like others I'm still a little concerned how all of this will be enforced, but I could say that about a lot of Disney rules I see get broken (like theft). I'm paying a lot of money, true, but if I go in with the attitude that "I paid for a perfect experience" I'm bound to be disappointed. And I like the perspective stated above comparing this policy to booze (something I was for). If you go in looking for drunks and thinking your trip is going to be ruined because of it then it will. Look - we all know Disney parks. If you don't go in with the right mindset Disney can be a miserable experience. But for my family, who are more excited for this trip than maybe any other vacation we've ever taken, I'll look past my prejudices and do my part to help fulfill their dream.

Did I miss where it said that the owner must return within 30 minutes if contacted about their pet barking/causing a disturbance..

Yes conveniently that appears to have been left out of the waiver guests are signing. Along with an explaination of designated pet relief areas. And a number of other things. Basically they are not well prepared to implement this policy.

Guys PLEASE let's keep this thread to actual experiences only! There's still plenty of other places to debate this policy until you're blue in the face!

The waiver that guests sign is part of the real life experience of the trial in the resorts. So discussing how it lines up with the original published policy is, in my opinion, quite on topic.

I agree. Discussing conversations those of us have had with cast members from management office is also relevant, IMO.

It's not exactly an experience with a dog, as the title says.

My idea of "actual dog experience" is you're staying there with your dog and you report back how everything was handled, or you're at the resort and you report back how dogs affected or didn't affect your vacation. Policy and enforcement seems to vary from CM to CM (even management level) so it adds very little to how dogs actually factor in to a Disney vacation.

Last edited:
I just don't understand the painting of the dogs and dressing them up. It was causing lots of attention and you're not suppose to pay attention to a service dog.

Actually, if they were in training, that makes perfect sense. They need to be trained to ignore lots of attention.

Yes conveniently that appears to have been left out of the waiver guests are signing. Along with an explaination of designated pet relief areas. And a number of other things. Basically they are not well prepared to implement this policy.

That would be a ridiculous expectation, really, if the guest was using Disney transportation. It's just not possible to get there that fast with busses, even if you left the minute you got a phone call.

That would be a ridiculous expectation, really, if the guest was using Disney transportation. It's just not possible to get there that fast with busses, even if you left the minute you got a phone call.

It's not my policy. It is Disney's. "Dogs should remain silent if left unattended in your Guest Room. If noise is heard you will be called to address the issue within 30 minutes." That is a direct quote from the official rules that Disney published.

I've said all along that it would be nearly impossible for noise issues to be addressed within 30 minutes, but the waiver provides no guidelines of what acceptable timelines are for guests to respond to noise being made by their unattended dog. It also fails to outline what steps Disney will take if it is inconveniencing other guests.

Has anyone been granted a hotel move due to this policy? And if so have they charged you to move resorts?

Since many discounts were available at time of booking they are no longer valid. Do they adhere to previous discount?

Thanks

Yes, I have been moved. We paid our original AP discounted price, but the room we moved into did cost more. Disney is making up the difference of $160 for our move. They offered quite a bit of options when moving me as well.

This was our experience this week at a non dog resort.

My wife and I checked into the Polynesian Villas this week in the Tokelau building. As soon as we entered there was a guest sitting on the couches with their dog. The dog was barking at guests and then started "marking" the funiture up. The owner of the dog barely looked up as the dog was tearing up the building lobby. Clearly it was not a service dog. (pics below) Had a good talk with the front desk and shared the pics and video of the dog tearing up the lobby area. DVC executive leadership responded quickly and called after it was reported, I did let them know our overall frustration and dissapointment.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 267

My wife and I checked into the Polynesian Villas this week in the Tokelau building. As soon as we entered there was a guest sitting on the couches with their dog. The dog was barking at guests and then started "marking" the funiture up. The owner of the dog barely looked up as the dog was tearing up the building lobby. Clearly it was not a service dog. (pics below) Had a good talk with the front desk and shared the pics and video of the dog tearing up the lobby area. DVC executive leadership responded quickly and called after it was reported, I did let them know our overall frustration and dissapointment.
She reminds me of the parents I've seen who stare at their cell phone with no attempt to pay attention to their child while they are creating havoc.

Thank you for sharing your experience. That sounds incredibly frustrating and it is exactly the kind of situation I am concerned about for my upcoming trip. This is now two reports within a week of non-service dogs at resorts that are not participating in this trial.

:mad: Unfortunately, this does not shock me. I am so happy that you brought this unacceptable behavior to the front desk's attention and I hope that the dog and its owner were promptly evicted from the resort.
edit: grammar

Last edited:
She reminds me of the parents I've seen who stare at their cell phone with no attempt to pay attention to their child while they are creating havoc.
I've yet to see a child urinating on furniture.
ETA: I've not yet seen it but I'm now pretty sure it has happened before! Totally forgot about potty training accidents.

Last edited:

That is total BS and I agree I would SUPER PISSED off if I saw that at the Polynesian. Not only is that dog NOT ALLOWED there but its sitting on the furniture. Unacceptable. Im glad you reported this to Disney. Question is did they actually do anything about it? Im not as cool headed as I used to be (maybe its age or maybe just a Jersey thing) but I probably would have gotten into a confrontation with that person.

The only thing that Disney has done for me when they "SPOILED THE MAGIC" is provide a guest services fastpass. Those definetely help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter