Adding adult child as 3rd driver on Costco Alamo car rental.

miamimama

Mouseketeer
it’s been a few years but we are again renting a car through Costco and Alamo and I know they give you a free extra driver and Alamo says a spouse is included. So if your adult child is also with you and you want to add them as a driver does anyone know if that is included as a free extra driver since the spouse is also included? I tried calling Alamo but they didn’t know. I assume we have to pay for the extra driver but just seeing if anyone has had that experience.

it’s been a few years but we are again renting a car through Costco and Alamo and I know they give you a free extra driver and Alamo says a spouse is included. So if your adult child is also with you and you want to add them as a driver does anyone know if that is included as a free extra driver since the spouse is also included? I tried calling Alamo but they didn’t know. I assume we have to pay for the extra driver but just seeing if anyone has had that experience.
Other relatives are not free. It should be $15 a day to add an additional driver.

Other relatives are not free. It should be $15 a day to add an additional driver.
Thanks. I was really thinking about adding my daughter as a free additional driver from Costco which apparently you can do. I was just wondering if my spouse would be legally allowed to drive too. Just saw this so i will call 590790B6-2A23-4A6A-9B73-9BB9CCE2E136.png

It’s more complicated than that. Alamo rentals through Costco include one additional driver (25 yo minimum) at no additional cost. The $15 a day fee is for booking directly through the Alamo site, but the renter’s spouse is free in that case. The confusion is the OP’s case of wanting two free additional drivers, a non-spouse additional driver, per the Costco rental rule, and the renter’s spouse, per the Alamo rule. I think the Costco rule would apply, so one free additional driver (spouse or other) and pay for any additional drivers.

You can always reach out to Costco although their terms and conditions say to contact the pick up site for full additional driver conditions but it's been my impression that the basic rules of a rental car company are not removed when you book with Costco, Costco just has a deal arranged with these several rental car companies.

The Costco rental includes "One additional driver fee is waived for Costco members at participating locations in the U.S., Canada, UK, Puerto Rico, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain." Alamo does not charge an additional driver fee for a spouse or domestic partner. It would not make sense to waive a fee that isn't charged to begin with so my impression would be OP would need to declare their daughter as the additional driver and their spouse would still be able to drive for free. Again call the pick up site if you want to speak to someone first before making the reservation as I would not take my word as what it is.

All the car companies Costco has a deal with (Alamo, Avis, Budget and Enterprise) include the spouse or domestic partner without an additional fee.

I used Costco rental car in Hilo Hawaii this past summer and when we got to the counter to pickup the car I told them that my adult son was the additional driver and they said fine. They didn't look at his license or anything. It may depend on the rental location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter