Admit it, you've been that rude guest!

I probably shouldn't tell this on the board, but my DH swiped a car in the parking lot of our resort (the car was definitely still totally operational, it was just a scrape, but still). We told the security at the resort, left our information, and our insurance took care of it, but I really hope we didn't ruin their vacation.

Accidents happen- at least you left your information. Beats the people who did swipe my daughters brand new car on our trip at the Wilderness Lodge in June. $3000 in damage. no note, didn't notify anyone, just drove off. That's more than rude.

It's the first time we ever chose not to valet- won't make that mistake again.

As for being that rude guest- If I have been, it was without my knowledge. And I have to say, other than the bums who damaged the car, the guests we encountered on our last trip were some of the most polite we've ever experienced. No one shoving their way thru, people offered their seats on the bus when appropriate, apologies when someone bumped into someone- it was a nice surprise. Not sure why, but I'll take it!

Ok Back in NJ LOL...we are never rude I think that its other people's perception.

In any event my DW can get pretty crazy if some random person is taking a picture of our DD when she is with a character. There are only certain people that should be taking pics of my child me my wife or the photopass CM. So I do NOT feel bad when either me or my wife goes and tells that rude person off. There is no reason for you to take a picture of my daughter with a character. PERIOD Sorry there are no excuses for this. If you don't want to stand in line and wait for a M&G that's your problem

Ok Back in NJ LOL...we are never rude I think that its other people's perception.

In any event my DW can get pretty crazy if some random person is taking a picture of our DD when she is with a character. There are only certain people that should be taking pics of my child me my wife or the photopass CM. So I do NOT feel bad when either me or my wife goes and tells that rude person off. There is no reason for you to take a picture of my daughter with a character. PERIOD Sorry there are no excuses for this. If you don't want to stand in line and wait for a M&G that's your problem

You'll get a lot of mixed reactions on this. I tend to agree with you. Sure, it's a public place and you should expect to show up randomly in other people's photos. But I do think it's wrong to take photos of other kids where they are the subject of that photo. I understand it's not against the law, but I do think it's wrong.

I have had CMs step in the way of others trying to do this and always appreciate when they do so.

You'll get a lot of mixed reactions on this. I tend to agree with you. Sure, it's a public place and you should expect to show up randomly in other people's photos. But I do think it's wrong to take photos of other kids where they are the subject of that photo. I understand it's not against the law, but I do think it's wrong.

I have had CMs step in the way of others trying to do this and always appreciate when they do so.

Yea I have had that where CM's get in the way.

Mixed reactions or not it shouldn't happen. If you want a picture of a character take it during a parade or wait in line on a M&G

Because there is a common stereotype that New Yorkers are rude. I don't really think we are all that much ruder than any other state but its easy just to blame it on being from NYC.

well, how about not as friendly....people can just take that to being rude if they walk into a situation expecting to encounter over the top niceness....

I absolutely agree with this, and I don't have any children.
One SWW I was meeting the at Jedi Council and a random guy decided to show my meeting time on periscope. Even after stating that I don't know who this guy is or why he is filming me he didn't stop. I had already been in this line for 2 hours to get all 4 members and was not happy with him.

It's one thing to show up in others photos/videos, it's a whole other thing to be intentionally recorded by strangers.

Last month at Epcot I guess I was rude getting on the Monorail, but I didn't mean to be. I have problems with my hips and once I sit down I can't walk very well immediately after standing. A very nice older man offered me his seat and I just said "no thanks". He and his wife looked offended, but I didn't want to explain my health issues to a monorail car full of people.

How do you really know what they are taking a picture of? I could be zooming in on the characters face and cropping out your darling snowflake because I have no interest in having a picture of him or her. You would be the rude one telling me off, don't you agree?

How do you really know what they are taking a picture of? I could be zooming in on the characters face and cropping out your darling snowflake because I have no interest in having a picture of him or her. You would be the rude one telling me off, don't you agree?

Let me put it simply I don't care why or what they do or don't want a picture of. if there is a lens pointed in my daughters general direction I wont say anything because my wife would haven already said something. End of story. You can call me rude all you want I could care less. The rude one is the person that is taking a picture of someone else's child.

Its not like I am photobombing you while you are trying to take a still shot of castle. Taking a pic of someone else's child is a deliberate action

Let me put it simply I don't care why or what they do or don't want a picture of. if there is a lens pointed in my daughters general direction I wont say anything because my wife would haven already said something. End of story. You can call me rude all you want I could care less. The rude one is the person that is taking a picture of someone else's child.

Its not like I am photobombing you while you are trying to take a still shot of castle. Taking a pic of someone else's child is a deliberate action

You do realize you are in a public place when you go to Disney, right? I can have my camera pointing in your child's general direction and NOT have them in my picture. I have every right to do that and you would be rude to accuse me of something I didn't do. By the way, most people also take general pictures which inevitably includes other people and their children. Do you make sure no one else's children are in your pictures?

Wow. I've never even thought about people taking pictures of my kids. Honestly, I've never noticed if it's happened. I'm so busy taking my own pictures that I wouldn't even notice if someone was doing it. And I'm probably guilty of doing just that to someone else. I've taken many pictures of characters in passing while inadvertently catching someone else in the picture. I've never even thought twice about it because that other person is always cropped out of my picture so I just have the character. Or I zoom in to eliminate the other person. I think when you're in a place like Disney, it's pretty hard to prevent absolutely everyone else from taking pictures of your family with characters. You'd have to have every M&G in a private room to prevent that. It's a public place, and people are going to take pictures. The same way that random people are going to be in my castle pictures. It's unavoidable IMO.

You and/or your wife has actually confronted someone as they were taking a photo of a character with your DD?

You do realize you are in a public place when you go to Disney, right? I can have my camera pointing in your child's general direction and NOT have them in my picture. I have every right to do that and you would be rude to accuse me of something I didn't do. By the way, most people also take general pictures which inevitably includes other people and their children. Do you make sure no one else's children are in your pictures?

Totally agree! I don't care about your kid I don't want them in my picture. They don't add anything special to it because I don't know them. If I'm taking a picture of the castle do you know how many people are getting into the frame? A lot because there are hundreds of people at Disney World. It's not because I'm being creepy and trying to take pictures of strangers and their kids as some weird creepy fetish. Everyone thinks their kid is so important but no...they aren't. Their just important to you and their families, the rest of us just want a freakin picture of Cinderella or whoever lol

I love staying in Fort Wilderness. I truly do. Checking-in, however, is a whole ‘nuther ballgame …

1985: After two short, introductory trips to WDW by just the two of us, I began planning months in advance for the first truly on-site visit for my husband, my parents and me. My father had just retired and he and my mother had very recently purchased an RV after years of vacationing across the country in a succession of ever-longer and more curve-defiant recreational trailers. And it rapidly became apparent that the principal consideration as I put together ten days in Fort Wilderness would be the care and feeding of an exceedingly sanitary and sensitive motor home and the mandatory deployment of its awesome awning.

Because, my father had begun to say at every opportunity, it was absolutely critical that there be room on our campsite to ‘put out the awning’. There was, it would seem, no reason at all to travel a thousand miles to the rumored-to-be Happiest Place On Earth if he couldn’t fully extend the mystical, magical canopy. Evidently, the RV and its master and mistress were incapable of functioning in a state of rest unless that ridiculously-expensive rectangle was properly taunt. Might as well stay home and kick the equally ridiculously-expensive tires, don’t you know.

Note: It is my firm belief that the primary reason that campers camp their way through their leisure lives is their unwholesome fascination with process and tyranny. That, and their astounding prissiness. Example: Mother often remarked to rather startled bystanders that, when traipsing merrily about the countryside, she ‘certainly did not sleep in beds previously occupied by strangers’. The clear implication being that, if her listeners were among the unfortunates reduced to transient slumbering in commercial chambers … Well, bless their hearts!

So, budding little Disney aficionado that I thought myself to be, in every correspondence – oral and written – and there were many of them - with WDW regarding our impending arrival, I dutifully made only the one permitted request: ‘Please’, I implored – furnishing in every instance the exact dimensions of the blasted thing – ‘Please make certain that we are assigned a site large enough for my father’s awning. Pleeeze!’

And, of course, when we arrived in the dead of the night - Note: it is considered terribly impolite to disturb a sleeping campground - and pulled in as silently as possible and my parents had done all of those things that must be done to complete that sacred ritual - including unhitching the little VW that they always pulled along for side-trips - and I saw the set of my father’s jaw and the tremble of my mother’s chin, I knew …!

I grabbed the keys to the VW and told my father to go get in. And I’ve tried, unsuccessfully, for all these years since to remember that tone of my voice, because for the first and only time in my life, my father did what I asked him to do.

Now, I do not drive a stick-shift well. So, I’m certain that the rest of the campground woke up as we made our grinding and thrashing way to the office.

I slammed one door shut. I slammed through the next. ‘Why', I demanded in that same pater-mobilizing voice, ‘can’t my poor, exhausted, fragile and absolutely impossible father get his blasted awning out?’. ‘What’, they said, innocently, ‘are you talking about’. ‘The awning!', I screeched. ‘The awning! That precious awning that I’ve been telling you people about for months. The one prominently mentioned in every scrap of paper you have about our reservation!’ ‘Awning?', they feinted.

‘Call a manager’, I growled. ‘Heck, call Eisner, if you must! But, in the end, you are going to take us to an awning-lovin' patch of moonlit ground … tonight!’, I roared (stretching menacingly to my full 4 feet and 11 inches of imposing stature).

And I’ve often wondered if they might have honestly thought that the miniature madwoman before them actually knew the Disney CEO. However, pointing out the ungodly - for a righteous campground - hour, ‘Would the morning do?’, they asked. ‘No, it won’t', I replied (by then my father had left to scrunch down as far as humanly possible into the VW’s upholstery), ‘No’ (and by now I was blubbering fairly copiously), ‘it just won’t’.

And that is how it came to be that a small caravan of golf cart, motor home and brilliant German engineering made its way through grumbling pathways to a preferred site with a lovely view of the lake and a marvelously-broad expanse just beggin’ for an awning to fill it. And we all lived happily ever-ten-days-after.

1986: Back in Fort Wilderness the following year, all went beyond well. So far beyond well, in fact, that some of the visitors to Magic Kingdom on a certain day could be heard wondering if our family might, indeed, know Eisner. But that’s another story … :)

2003: I had no Fort Wilderness plans.

Following stays at several other WDW resorts, this was to be the Grand Visit. Eleven days at The Grand Floridian. The Platinum - or whatever they were calling the year’s most exorbitant package - Plan. Paid in full.

But the gods will have their way with those who get too big for their britches and so, one fine day, in one fine conversation with Concierge Services, I casually mentioned smoking on our room’s guaranteed-to-be-lovely balcony. ‘Oh, no’, she said, aghast. ‘You can’t do that!’

‘But’, I sputtered, ‘I smoked on the balcony at the Boardwalk Villas without any issues. So, if one can smoke on those balconies, then why not on The Grand Floridian balconies?’

‘Fire codes’, she said sternly. ‘They can be different at various resorts. Something to do with the roofs, I think’, she said. ‘Piffle!', I said. ‘I’ll go to back to The Boardwalk!' But, of course, when I called the hotel several days later to confirm that it was still permissible to smoke on their balconies, it wasn’t. And I couldn’t. And so I wouldn’t. Go back to The Boardwalk, that is.

Nor, after prolonged conversations and several made-to-be-unmade reservations, would I go to The Polynesian, or to The Beach or Yacht Clubs, or to The Wilderness Lodge - almost made it there, until someone checked the roof for the nefarious code - or to The Animal Kingdom Lodge, or even to the concrete and glass Contemporary.

But, I could go back to Fort Wilderness. To a cute - presumably asbestos-roofed - little cabin with a wonderfully-welcoming - bring-your-own-ashtray - deck. Parking at the door for our golf cart and car. And the all-paid-for Platinum Plan.

There were no actual ‘Smoking’ cabins still available, but, as I explained, I didn’t need one. My daughter wouldn’t permit me to smoke inside even if I wanted to. And I didn’t want to. So, despite the circuitous and rather aggravating route required to reach home, I was, once again, a pretty happy camper. Until …

The phone call to inform me that I couldn’t have my all-paid-for Platinum Plan. ‘Fort Wilderness simply can’t afford you Platinum Service’, he intoned. ‘There would be no Nightly Turn-Down, or Chocolates, or Room Service, or Club Amenities, or Itinerary Planning, or ….’

‘I don’t care’, I said (as calmly as possible), 'about any of it other than Itinerary Planning and Concierge Services during our stay. And you certainly can do that! There actually are phones in Fort Wilderness and on my own and on my daughter’s persons. And you, or some other officious soul, already has my lists and so I expect all of my dining, shows, cruises and recreation to be booked and to be able to call the number that I already have for any assistance that I might need before or during my stay in Fort Wilderness. Have a magical day.’ And I hung up.

And darned if they couldn’t do every last bit of that … :) So, I was actually, once again, a pretty happy camper. Until …

We arrived a bit late again. And when my daughter went in to pick up our keys and cart, I thought it was taking far longer than it should. So, I went in. To find my daughter crying.

Now, she doesn’t blubber as I do. She cries silently. And rarely. But she had done all of the driving for the past two days and now she was crying so loudly that I could actually hear her if I listened carefully. And she was crying, it seemed, because they had no ‘Smoking’ cabins available. And, given that I had so strenuously demanded one - at this point, I’ll remind you, gentle reader, of my earlier remarks concerning that - they felt that, in fairness to their non-smoking guests, they could not offer me a Non-Smoking cabin unless I paid the assessment for my fully-expected non-compliance with the no-smoking-inside dictum … in advance of my eagerly-anticipated transgressions.

I sent my daughter to our now-Detroit, USA car. I called the number and briefly, but colorfully, explained my uncomfortable circumstances and - I thought - my quite justifiable reluctance, for the moment, to pay anyone Disney any other Dollar.

But, in 2003, I didn't mention Michael Eisner.

And then I let their people talk to their people. And, very shortly, a caravan of two – golf cart and car – wound their way to another – really – wonderful stay in Fort Wilderness.

2016: We’re headed once again to The Beach Club. No Awning. No Smoking. No Platinum Plan. No Fort Wilderness, perhaps. And, perhaps, I won’t ever be rude in WDW again.

DisneyTrips5_zpsr9psage0.gif

Great stories! Now... When, exactly, will you be staying at Beach Club next year?

I've refused to let children in front of me during a parade before, I'll admit it. You snooze, you lose. I put in the time to stake out my spot, I'm not letting your precious snowflake in front of me just because you arrived at the last minute.

This! I had people cursing me bc I wouldn't let their child sit in front of myself, my daughter, and my husband during the MVMCP parade. Sorry, not sorry. I arrived two hours in advance!

Every parade I stake out our spot early and show no mercy. But on the flip side, I would never expect anyone to let my child in front of them.

I'm never rude! I just have a low tolerance of fools and BS, so my reactions are sometimes perceived as being rude, whereas it is merely frustration in dealing with incompetence, inefficiency, lack of common sense and a failure to acknowledge one's responsibility to the social community. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter