ADR Burnout

onewishupon

Mouseketeer
Somehow it happened... I went from the person who planned out every single meal in advance - at least 2 per day per trip - down to nearly zero for next trip! The prices for dining have skyrocketed while the quality has been mediocre for most places. I am an AP, so maybe I've just tried enough of the restaurants? I don't like feeling like I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I am enjoying the flexibility of not having ADR's. I have had FOMO a couple times while planning my upcoming trip. But ultimately I am looking forward to the flexibility and hopefully cheaper mobile order food options. Anyone else having ADR burnout?

I feel the same - especially the part of not wanting to have to commit to being somewhere at a certain time. I love the flexibility, plus, and this may be upsetting to some, I don't think *any* food at Disney TS restaurants is THAT good. I can make better food at home + my local restaurants at home for the price. I find myself disappointed more often than not.

I find some of the QS options more than adequate and especially because I can easily order a kid's meal and save on cost as well as calories. When I eat TS, I have no room for snacks!

I wouldn’t mind. However, TS are easier to deal with for our picky son. He goes off to college next year, so we will be doing a lot more QS and lounges in the future.

Somehow it happened... I went from the person who planned out every single meal in advance - at least 2 per day per trip - down to nearly zero for next trip! The prices for dining have skyrocketed while the quality has been mediocre for most places. I am an AP, so maybe I've just tried enough of the restaurants? I don't like feeling like I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I am enjoying the flexibility of not having ADR's. I have had FOMO a couple times while planning my upcoming trip. But ultimately I am looking forward to the flexibility and hopefully cheaper mobile order food options. Anyone else having ADR burnout?

Yup! I'm the same. We had 1 ADR last trip and we are going next month with zero ADRs. It's quite liberating, actually. I have found, as well, that with smaller parties, day-of reservations are fairly easy to get now that the 2-hour cancellation policy is in place. I'm enjoying doing things spur of the moment or just having QS whenever we feel like it. I love mobile order as well - it just makes things super simple. I have found, unless you are going to a signature restaurant, the quality of TS is about on par with QS anyway, so why waste the $$, time and effort of ADRs?

LOL, the last few trips I’ve told DH I just wanted to wing it, making day-of ADRs, trying out new places, eating more QS, and he’s agreed. Then as it gets closer he’ll say something like “We’ll be eating at [name hard to get favorite restaurant here], won’t we?” So off I go to look for that ADR. Then when we’re there he’ll start asking to eat at this restaurant and that one. Drives me crazy!

Agree! Only had 2 last trip and probably won't make any for this trip. We ate at Geyser Point a few times and didn't need reservations and I prefer their food to many of the restaurants at WDW. I just find the food quality lacking in a lot of TS restaurants, especially for the price you pay. I don't mind paying $$$ for quality, but when something is just okay - no thanks. The past few years, overall, I've had better food from some QS locations. We used to go to Ohana every year, but after 2 bad experiences there (food and service), we go to Tambu Lounge and enjoy that more. We are doing more lounge dining and it is more suited to us. If we decide we want to eat TS, we'll try walk up on the app.

I wouldnt call our take on it burnout - but love when we have no specific times or plans and what we found - is that it’s ok! We still eat, enjoy ourselves and it’s even a little adventurous in terms of what’s going to happen. So our next trip is half and half by design …

LOL, the last few trips I’ve told DH I just wanted to wing it, making day-of ADRs, trying out new places, eating more QS, and he’s agreed. Then as it gets closer he’ll say something like “We’ll be eating at [name hard to get favorite restaurant here], won’t we?” So off I go to look for that ADR. Then when we’re there he’ll start asking to eat at this restaurant and that one. Drives me crazy!
Boy, can I empathize with you! DH was all for the "winging it" idea, until we got to WDW and on the first day hr asked "When are we eating at [yup, a hard to get favorite restaurant]" Glad to know I'm not alone.
But in lots of respects, I love "winging it" now. Who knows when I'll be hungry, or what I'll feel like eating? And TS has gotten so expensive! But if I do want to treat myself, I remember what happened recently-I kept trying unsuccessfully to get an ADR at Narcoose's, starting at 60 days out. The day I got to WDW, at the airport, I thought, "I'd really like a nice, relaxing dinner with a cocktail." Checked the app, and there was my last minute ADR a Narcoose's!

We make a few ADRs for our trips - never more than one a day and not for every day - and that works for us. We don’t always like being tied down to a reservation and enjoy checking out other options. This may be more difficult during busier seasons, but we tend to visit at less busy times.

We also have cut back on TS. We go for seven nights. Used to do atleast one a day, some days two. Last trip we did five , this trip will also be four or five. Between the prices and being tied down I try not to do many. Especially when you are leaving the parks to do one. Being in the park isn’t quite as bad.

We will do Trex (nephews request) arrival day lunch then have the evening at YC (and do Cape May that night). So two TS that night but no park so should be ok. One day we will do chef mickeys after a morning at MK. Tutto italia is my dads favorite so that’s a must do. We are throwing around LTT but not sure about that one. If we do it’ll be on an evening in MK.

One of our biggest downfalls is that the quick service at yc/bc isn’t that great. Although we have epcot close by which is a couple meals planned already. Just wish yc had a food court like the values where you can get an array of food.

last trip only had 2 reservations and I was nervous because I’ve always liked to end the day with a sit down meal in the past. It worked great! Doing it again for the upcoming trip and while it was hard to narrow down the choices…the prix fixe menus knocked out some old faves and I like having the flexibility and have found that with quick service and lounge options we still have great options that are more than chicken nuggets and cheeseburgers

I think a lot of people are feeling the same way.

I got a survey while I was at Disney this week, asking me many questions about eating in the parks and resort areas and asking about perceived value. Also, a lot of ADRs were opening up for the following two days. Space 220 alone had 4 openings the day before when I looked (5 later, as I also cancelled).

Disney food is actually pretty good for park food but the prices are outrageous. And it's so nice to just grab a snack, or CS, or make a last minute ADR, when you feel like it. I think Genie+ and ILL$ also contributes to the burn out. Having to be at certain places at specific times really adds to your daily steps (my average, and I am not athletic, was 20k). At some point it just becomes stressful.

I was about to purchase Genie + on my last day and I thought, I do not want to have to be somewhere because I have a lightening lane reservation. They are making people pay more to be more stressed out.

Dining is one of the things I look forward to the most. We don't go out to restaurants much anymore at home except for holidays...i.e. Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, or an occasional birthday. So I look forward to dining on my WDW vacation. The only thing I do though is to limit to once a day. Don't do multiple large meals every day. Can't eat like that anymore anyway. I also don't have to eat a 3-course meal or order a drink every time. We're cutting back on other things this coming trip. I'm only doing one park day and DH chooses not to do any so I don't feel too bad about at least enjoying some nice meals.

I’m probably more of the opposite mindset. I travel solo quite a bit and look forward to the downtime to enjoy a meal and a few cocktails. I’m not a fan of most QS so that doesn’t do much for me. With the new cancellation policy it’s not too difficult to manage your time. You can always cancel one and book another for a more convenient time. I definitely have my favorites and like to check out some of the new so having an ADR assures me that I’ll be able to do so. Plus it gives me pleasure leading up to a trip to check and see what becomes available.

Same. Hotels and tickets are expensive enough now, we plan on eating breakfast in our room and doing a few sit down meals but will mostly do quick service and snacks. My 11 year old is now adult prices for all fixed/character meals, and I just cannot justify paying adult prices for her so we’ll only go to one on our next week long trip when last trip we did almost one a day.

I just returned from a trip and made zero adrs beforehand. The surprising thing was how available adrs were. One evening I looked for Candlelight Processional availability just for grins and giggles and there was wide availability. Ended up not doing it for other reasons. I did book Boma for one evening the same day and pretty much had anything I wanted.

Sounds like someone I know LOL! Last year we agreed to cool it on ADR's for our next visit. Due to our new home construction lasting from when we got home a year ago until September and our son and DIL doing some overseas trips we actually skipped 2023!

We are all getting together for Halloween 2024 and I am hearing rumblings of "well we have to go to Topolino's, Steakhouse71 has such good breakfast" etc. I think one or two per trip is okay. First day makes sense as does last day. I never did add up what we spent over five weeks last year, but at about $400 a pop ouch. We often split QS, which ends up being about $10 PP can't beat it and there is room for Dole Whip!

Enjoy!

We hardly go out to eat in real life so eating at Disney was a treat. But a bunch of years ago, we got tired of making sure we left wherever, considering travel time ,( whether in park or not)get to adr, checkin and still wait 20-30 mins. It just seemed it took so much time out of a park day. Yes, a TS can be recharging, but not the waiting and the “are we going to get there in time” grief.

Last trip we ate at boma twice , break fast and dinner, but these were on resort days. And we were staying at kidani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter