ADR Burnout

I think as we (and Disney) grow and change, it’s normal to change things up.
Rolling with what life is throwing us.

In the past we made maybe one or fewer adr’s per day and did qs mostly when we felt like it because that’s what worked for us as a family. ADRs did seem so restrictive.

Last trip I went with just my sister for the first time (no hubby/kids) and we did more ADRs!
We shared most meals and really enjoyed just about every TS place we ate at (the Plaza, Rose and Crown and Round Up Rodeo were just mediocre). We especially enjoyed Jiko, Tiffins, Space 220, CRT, San Angel Inn and Y&Y.

But it was a totally different trip than I ever did before and it was worth the change up of how I normally did things.

That being said, we each just paid for ourselves (and we mostly shared app/meal/dessert) and not for a family so it was more affordable. It would have been outrageously expensive to pay for a family, or even for a couple!

I can see being burned out after always having 2 ADR/day… I hope you have fun trying something different at Disney this time around!

There are always lounges to try as well as the qs places at some of the parks if you want to make it more grown up feeling than all qs would feel like. It is a big change from eating at mostly ts to mostly qs and you’ll definitely save a ton of money!

I hope you find joy in trying Disney in a different way 😊.

Just finished this week (as an AP) and ZERO ADRs, ZERO TS and I absolutely loved our decision. We ate when we wanted where we wanted and how much we were actually hungry for .... and we "splurged" on some snacks when I usually don't. At this point now .... it will be a rare ADR if it happens but I'll likely only book day of. And I would say I have burnout on high prices for mediocre meals. 9 times out of 10 when I get the bill I just feel so ripped off.

While it is very easy to get most of what you want day of right now …. once the DDP starts back up that will likely change.

Last edited:
We just got back from 10 days and other than a Topolino's breakfast, V&A, and one other - we winged it for the 4th trip in a row and got anything we wanted.

Be careful that you know the cancelation policy. We booked Monsieur Paul's spur of the moment and immediately changed our mind. I had to call and get the $200 fee refunded. They have a $100 pp and greater than 2 hour policy. We were 4 hours out so it didn't cross my mind until the app wouldn't let me cancel.

We were crazy with ADR right after the Parker’s reopening and also up until about a year ago. Then I started noticing so much availability the day before or even day of. So on our trips now we get the ADR for one or two we really want to go to then “wing it” the rest of the time. This going without reservations has made us try so many new places we wouldn’t have tried had we continued making ADR for the whole trip. One night on a trip at Boardwalk we had no plans we ordered to go from Ale & Compass and sat out by the pool and ate and watched fireworks from there it was such a nice relaxed evening. The cast member saw us with our food and let us sit near SAB pool as it was night time. Something we never would have done before

We RARELY have any ADRs anymore. Did do 1 this year, for California Grill for our anniversary, last year, none, year before that, none. Not at all a factor in our Disney planning. Goodness, it sure used to be when we did the dining plans when the kids were under 9. Once we had to start paying the 10 and older prices, nope. I still have our printouts of ADRs, times and restaurants from the early 2010s.
DH did get a walkup at Crystal Palace this past trip, and we did a walk up at Geyser Point. I can't think of very many Disney restaurants we think are worth the time, effort, and most importantly: price. we LOVE Boma, but for 4 of us to eat there, it would be close to $250 or more, w/ tax and tip. Just not worth it at all, but we do miss it. We are fortunate to live in an area (south of Nashville,) where we have LOTS of yummy food options, and quite a bit of variety, so it's just not a necessity in Disney, unless it's a special occasion. We've been very happy with QS spots like Satuli Canteen, Disney Springs, and mostly Epcot festival booths. We always enjoy the festival food.

We haven’t given up on ADR’s just yet but find ourselves booking fewer and fewer each trip. We spend a lot of time in Epcot and are content munching our way around the festival booths. Beyond that we find ourselves eating in lounges more and more often. We love that we can decide spur of the moment where to go and usually come out ahead price wise as we make a meal out of a few appetizers that we split. And oddly enough we’ve had some of our best service in the lounges and we love the atmosphere.

Totally agree! Just left after a week. Only ADR was Boma and Jiko. It’s so much easier and cost effective without it.

I feel the same - especially the part of not wanting to have to commit to being somewhere at a certain time. I love the flexibility, plus, and this may be upsetting to some, I don't think *any* food at Disney TS restaurants is THAT good. I can make better food at home + my local restaurants at home for the price. I find myself disappointed more often than not.

I find some of the QS options more than adequate and especially because I can easily order a kid's meal and save on cost as well as calories. When I eat TS, I have no room for snacks!
Feel the same about almost all of the Disney restaurants we have dined. Exceptions would be Narcoossee’s and maybe Flying Fish. Think California grill food and the fireworks view from up there is meh (I know Disney blasphemy!)

Feel the same about almost all of the Disney restaurants we have dined. Exceptions would be Narcoossee’s and maybe Flying Fish. Think California grill food and the fireworks view from up there is meh (I know Disney blasphemy!)
I can’t argue against the popular opinion here but I have my favorites that I stand by and will seek out anADR. Narcoossee’s Flying Fish Tiiffins Yachtsman California Grill among others

I can’t argue against the popular opinion here but I have my favorites that I stand by and will seek out anADR. Narcoossee’s Flying Fish Tiiffins Yachtsman California Grill among others
I’ll have to try Flying Fish and Narcoossee’s! Everyone seems to speak highly of both.

I am trying Citrico’s in January because I love Mary Poppins and just want to enjoy the decor.

I’ll have to try Flying Fish and Narcoossee’s! Everyone seems to speak highly of both.

I am trying Citrico’s in January because I love Mary Poppins and just want to enjoy the decor.
Haven’t been there after many trips. I’ll have to put it on my list. I enjoy GFC for breakfast and make it a must do on every trip so if not staying there I don’t make it back to GF

I love TS eating. BUT, cost savings wins and I have cut down on the ADR's .

My last 3 trips, I've done 3, 1 and 2 ADR's respectively.

There were vacations when we did an ADR everyday. Not anymore.

When our family made a decision to do a WDW trip, the first question was always "Where do we want to make ADRs?". We'd have lunch and dinner of everyday pre-booked. Last week we went into our trip with 1 pre-booked ADR. With the current 2 hour cancellation policy, we were able score most of the spots we wanted to eat on the fly, without having to plan around pre-booked meals. We'll miss that flexibility when the Dining Plan rears it's ugly head again, I'm sure.

Years ago when my wife and I started going to WDW we always bought that Gold Key Grand Plan, or whatever it was called. It included everything, all food, activities, golf, boat rentals, water skiing etc.

We would always have 3 reservations a day, table service breakfast, lunch & dinner. AND, most afternoons we'd stop at one of our favorite places for appetizers, the Outer Rim at the Contemporary used to be a raw bar.

The tough thing was it got to the point every waking minute was spent thinking about where we have to go to eat next. Everything we did was dictated by where we had to be at 8 am, 1 pm and 7 or 8 pm. Lol, it got to be exhausting.

Now, we make few ADR's. We do no more character meals, but we will make an ADR for 1 or 2 favorites, maybe Narcoossee's or Tiffins.

We find if we want anything else we can usually find it within 24 hours or the day of. If things are really tight we have a couple standby's that we really like and can usually get in on very little notice, Il Mulino & Shula's, Frontera Cucina.

My white whale has become Jiko. I've tried at 60+ days on the past few trips and just can't get it, same thing with trying within 24 hours. What the heck is up with that place?

Years ago when my wife and I started going to WDW we always bought that Gold Key Grand Plan, or whatever it was called. It included everything, all food, activities, golf, boat rentals, water skiing etc.

We would always have 3 reservations a day, table service breakfast, lunch & dinner. AND, most afternoons we'd stop at one of our favorite places for appetizers, the Outer Rim at the Contemporary used to be a raw bar.

The tough thing was it got to the point every waking minute was spent thinking about where we have to go to eat next. Everything we did was dictated by where we had to be at 8 am, 1 pm and 7 or 8 pm. Lol, it got to be exhausting.

Now, we make few ADR's. We do no more character meals, but we will make an ADR for 1 or 2 favorites, maybe Narcoossee's or Tiffins.

We find if we want anything else we can usually find it within 24 hours or the day of. If things are really tight we have a couple standby's that we really like and can usually get in on very little notice, Il Mulino & Shula's, Frontera Cucina.

My white whale has become Jiko. I've tried at 60+ days on the past few trips and just can't get it, same thing with trying within 24 hours. What the heck is up with that place?
We could have walked up to Jiko every day of our recent trip …. Owners at AK but have never eaten at Jiko or Boma for some reason … we did try Sanaa for breakfast and it was actually pretty good and the view of the savanna from our table was amazing

Now that my kiddo is older, she is no longer interested in character meals. And we are happy to split QS meals between the three of us. We do have one ADR almost every day this time but we are staying near Disney Springs and since we've never been there, are trying out some of the food options there.

Everyone splits in the morning, does their own thing, and we get together for dinner. This works great for us, no one complains and we have lots to discuss.

For years I've been a must plan at least one TS a day (many times 2!) for our trips. This upcoming trip I have totally switched gears. For 9 days I'm planning on 3 ADRs. Two dinners (Narcoosees and Jikos) and 1 character breakfast (Topollino's). The rest of our dining will be QS meals.

Couple of things have driven the change for us

- We have not found the Genie + system or VQ system particularly ADR friendly. Conflicts between them led to a lot of frustrations on our last two trips and frantically trying to be too many places.
- Price points...the cost of dining has really become crazy. For my family of 5 (2 adults, 9, 4 and 2 year old) we're looking at about $700 alone for the three ADRs were planning on our upcoming trip.
- Time, the parks seem more crowded (or genie+ is screwing with waits) overall. Navigating waits and baby swaps seem to eat more time (or more money if you pay to skip em) and something had to give. The cost plus the time suck of ADRs is how we gain that time back in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter