Adulting is Hard, So I'm Running Away! ~ An Oct 2016 PTR ~ Update 10/19: Peace Out, Yo!

Glad your safe and sound with your kitties!!! I hope it passes quick and you can get home where everyone is comfortable once again!
Thankfully i keep tabs on you on facebook.
Stalker level 12

I read the above post.. the only thing that is sticking is MICKEY WAFFLES AND THAT ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!

OH MY YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Be safe my friend!

Glad you and your family had a safe place to go. Even the hotels here where I live. York county, SC are booked up now and they are sending people on to Charlotte.

Plans all look fab as usual.

But I was more stopping in to see how you were with this storm! Hoping your safe and all I good.

Sending positive vibes xoxo

Glad you and the kitties are safe in your hotel! Hope they are behaving themselves and that your apartment back home weathers the storm well!

I've been thinking of you and your kitties since reading your post, I hope you all came through A-OK! While having your house & family be safe is top priority I would have been cringing about moving my cats out of the house :headache: My old boy pretty much would have refused to go and not let me forget how much I inconvenienced him the whole time we were gone, and my little girl would have just been a terrified mess. They're worse than children lol!

Day 5 plans look :thumbsup2 I can't wait to see all the face painting you have done!

Gah! I hate when I get this far behind on replies. Granted, I have been a little busy the last few days, but still! And don't worry, once these replies here are done, I'll get to work on my next post, which will include Hurricane Matthew updates as well Day 6 plans!

First, hope you all get out of town ok and stay safe this weekend. Scary times I am sure. Keep us posted if you all need anything and of course tell Aunt Debby and Uncle Mark we say hi :-)
I've seen Uncle Mark a couple times since I've been here, but tomorrow I'll be going to their house and seeing Aunt Debby for the first time since all this craziness began. (I've been sticking close to my hotel room so that the kids don't think I've abandoned them, but it's been a few days now and they're pretty well settled in, so I feel okay leaving them for more than an hour or two at a time.) I'll definitely give them the message! ;)

Looks like you have a great AK/MK day planned. If you get time (and you like them) be sure to stop for one of those delicious bloody marys at dawa bar. Oh so good!
Sadly, I am not in the Bloody Mary fan club. I hate tomato juice. But that doesn't stop me from appreciating your love of them! And besides, I may still hit up Dawa Bar for something else. I figure anything with any kind of fruit juice is an acceptable morning cocktail, right?

Hope that you and your family including the kitties will be safe.
We are! Ready to go home, but definitely safe!

That B&C sundae looks so good! Not to mention massive. I don't think I'd be able to fit any dinner in after lunch and that sundae. But in no way do I dare underestimate your abilities ;)
My stomach is the 8th wonder of the world. I should have been a competitive eater. I'm in the wrong business!

And of course no Disney trip can ever be complete without Wishes.
You got that right!

My gosh that's a full day! I don't know if I could do it!
Me either, hence the midday rest/nap hour!

Awww, I missed this so much when it was down for refurb. I once stood in the stand by line for over 90 min, and it was still worth it!
Absolutely! My last two trips I did good, I caught it once with a FP, then a second time during late EMH. Hoping to pull that off again on this trip!

Loved the manatees and the aquarium. Wish I had stayed longer, but DH was grouchy.
Further evidence of why #solotripsarethebesttrips

It was great, and Crush was right - we don't say "Dude" enough!
Dude, it's so true!

Well, you can have mine. Pumpkin pie, absolutely! Pumpkin anything else, not so much for this gal.
Must eat ALL the pumpkin things! Om nom nom.

Yaaaasssss! Haunted Mansion at midnight was pretty cool, and I bet it's even better at the party!
Yes, it was pretty excellent when I did it during the party in 2014. So looking forward to it!

Yes, kitties, be good for your mama! Stick together and stay safe!
They've been SO good for me. I thought they'd be skittish and weird in the room, especially after getting stuck in a travel trailer in their carriers for 10 hours, but nope! They settled in wonderfully. I'm really proud of them, although not at ALL looking forward to the return trip. Especially getting them back in their carriers for it, especially now that they know my game. The bed frame sits really low to the floor, so if one of them decides to hide under there on departure day, I won't be able to do anything but wait him out.

Yup - another that I will stand in a long line for (with a book!)
I've been debating bringing my Kindle to the parks with me, but that'll just be one more thing weighing down my bag. And I've always done really well just people-watching while waiting in line, but we'll see!

I think this might be my favorite - rainbows and stars and glitter!
It's my favorite one I've had done so far! I'm trying not to have any repeats, but that one sure is tempting!

Aaaaahhhhh, this all looks so perfect, can't even pick out anything to comment on because my brain just went to happy mush.
Yeah, that happens to me too.

Yes. Must see Wishes. That's a for sure for me, even when sick I went to see it one last time!
Now that's dedication!

Holy Macaroni!! I did not know about this bowl if creamy goodness! I MUST have that! I think Cosmic Ray's just went out the window and in went the Good Friar!
Dude, it's SO GOOD. I can't wait to have it again!

When I heard today about the evacuation in SC, I immediately thought about you and your fur babies! I've only been through 1 hurricane and we didn't have to evacuate, but it was still pretty scary, and my cats were a little weirded out. Be safe and keep us updated when you can :grouphug:
Me and the kitties are all safe! They've been very good!

Sending prayer and pixie dust your way for safe, quick and uneventful travels in the next few days.
Thank you so much, Lynn!

Stay safe, Billie!
I will, and have, I promise!

OMG! The Milky Way sundae from Beaches and Cream is my absolute favorite! Personally I think it's a lot better than the No Way Jose but then again my favorite candy on Earth are Milky Way's. And I really think it's quite a bargain for the size of thing!
It looks absolutely AMAZING. I can't wait!

Loving the plans (and I'm more convinced than ever about getting my face painted!)......
You should! And when you do, I want pics!

BUT BE SAFE THROUGH THIS STORM!!! This isn't one to mess with (and I know you know that). We'll be here whenever you can update. :grouphug:
Yep, that's why we got out of town! It's turning into a longer stay than hoped, but that's okay. At least we're all safe!

PURPLE MAGICBAND!!!!!!!!!!! (I hope that was enough exclamation points)
I know! Isn't show gorgeous?!

I've never done it, but I'd say bus from Epcot to Poly because it's fewer methods of transportation.
Although you'll probably be closer to Beach Club than you will be to the buses, so that might actually be faster.
I think either option should work ok...
Somebody brought up the problem of cutting through Epcot means also trudging through Security. So maybe just bus to MK then monorail to Poly!

How have you never been on Dumbo??? That needs to be rectified. Great views of the park from up there.
Playing it by ear sounds like a good plan.
I agree! It's totally weird, right?! I really hope to fix that on this trip!

I hope you guys get through this okay and can go back home soon!
Me too! I miss my bed!

Okay, I'm all for anything with an actual Milky Way candy bar in it. I mean, I am a peanut butter gal, but ... this definitely works too.
I like peanut butter, but I LOVE caramel. And chocolate, of course. So this is so right up my ice cream alley!

I have to admit, I thought I was the only one who hadn't done Jungle Cruise in years. You'll have to tell me how it is so that I know if I should plan to do it on my next trip.
I will, should I decide to do it. It's nothing I'm going to go out of my way to do, but if I have time, I feel like I'm ready to give it another chance!

It's really cool at night. Different than during the day. We try to do it at night every trip. Definitely worth it.
Eeeee, how exciting! I can't wait!

Um ... it's possible we can't be friends anymore. I love MSEP. (I mean, I also wanted to see Paint the Night, but ... I still love MSEP).
Bahaha. Sorry, but I was a SpectroMagic girl. Plus the MSEP gets on my nerves a little. So I could take it or leave it!

Definitely agree - no trip is complete without Wishes!!
(Confession: I'm usually okay at the parks, but if I hear the music from Wishes when I'm not at the park (like when I'm at the Disney Store at the mall), I start tearing up because I love it so dang much and I'm not there watching it)
I do the same thing! But I also cry at the parks. I'm a big baby!

I hope everything works out okay with the storm and you guys get through it okay without too much damage!
Thanks, me too!

Loving your plans so far. Hoping you are safe and sound and everyone is ok at the hotel. Crossing fingers that the storm doesn't hit anyone as hard as predicted.
We are all fine! Not a lot of info about our homes yet, though. The town is a mess, though.

Hi Billie. I hope you have a safe evacuation.
We have!

I wanted to mention that you can't take a bus from Epcot to the Poly. You can only take the monorail. Now you can get the Poly bus by going over to Hollywood Studios from the Beach Club. You wouldn't have to go through security. But you will find that security at the International Gateway is super quick and easy. So don't worry about it. :)
Hmm, I kinda like the idea of scooting over to HS, then hopping on a bus. I like the idea only having to load/unload the scooter from one form of transportation rather than two!

I didn't realize that you are in SC. Good luck. Stay safe:goodvibes
Thank you! And so far, so good!

Just doing a quick drive by to add to the stay safe brigade. Hope you and the kitties have somewhere dry to ride out the storm!
We do, and have! All safe, dry, and accounted for!

Glad your safe and sound with your kitties!!! I hope it passes quick and you can get home where everyone is comfortable once again!
Thankfully i keep tabs on you on facebook.
Stalker level 12
I like it when you stalk me. Makes a girl feel loved!

I read the above post.. the only thing that is sticking is MICKEY WAFFLES AND THAT ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!

OH MY YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Those were the most important parts of the post anyhow, really!

Glad you and your family had a safe place to go. Even the hotels here where I live. York county, SC are booked up now and they are sending people on to Charlotte.
Yeah, it's been nuts. I'm 250 miles from home, in Griffin, GA, and even all the hotels here are Sold Out due to evacuees. I'm so thankful that I have a big beautiful travel-savvy brain that made reservations when I did. If I had followed my families "Let's wait and see what happens" approach to all of this, I would have been so screwed!

Plans all look fab as usual.

But I was more stopping in to see how you were with this storm! Hoping your safe and all I good.

Sending positive vibes xoxo
I am safe and all is good, I promise! Update coming soon!

Glad you and the kitties are safe in your hotel! Hope they are behaving themselves and that your apartment back home weathers the storm well!
The kitties are being VERY good! I'm actually surprised how well they've adjusted to hotel living!

I've been thinking of you and your kitties since reading your post, I hope you all came through A-OK! While having your house & family be safe is top priority I would have been cringing about moving my cats out of the house :headache: My old boy pretty much would have refused to go and not let me forget how much I inconvenienced him the whole time we were gone, and my little girl would have just been a terrified mess. They're worse than children lol!
They've been so good though, really. They were pretty miserable on the trip here, though!

Day 5 plans look :thumbsup2 I can't wait to see all the face painting you have done!
I can't wait to see all the Facepainting, either!

I hope you are all safe and sound!
We are! Thank you! :)

12 days until WDW! :hyper:

Hey, ya'll! :grouphug:

First of all, thank you SO SO SO much for all the well wishes and support after my last post about evacuating with the kitties due to Hurricane Matthew! I promised an update tonight on how things are going, so I'll do that first, then get back to the Disney planning.

Just to recap, the plan was on this past Thursday morning we were going from our homes in Beaufort SC to where my Aunt Debby and Uncle Mark live about 250 miles away in Senoia GA, which is just southwest of Atlanta. My parents would be staying with their dog in their travel trailer in my aunt and uncles yard. I booked a hotel in the last town that we would be passing through along the way, Griffin GA, for me and the cats.

The trip up on Thursday took about 9 hours (instead of the usual 5 hours), which put the kitties in their carriers for 10 straight hours. I rode with them in the travel trailer that my parents were towing behind their pickup truck. It was a tight squeeze with all the slides pulled in, but we fit just fine. The only problem was that the one operational USB port is at the back of it in the kitchen area, and on the road I can't get to it from the sitting area without vaulting over the kitchen counter, which I'm not about to do going down the interstate at 70 MPH. So I was without my phone after about the first 2 hours, but at least I had my Kindle. It got a little warm in the trailer, but nothing we couldn't handle. Worse than the temperature was how dang BUMPY the ride was. At some point though I must have gotten used to it, because I managed to doze for a bit in one of the recliners.

The kitties were NOT happy during the drive, Butters especially. I've determined that I need to get a bigger pet carrier for his chubby butt. He pretty much fills up the one he has, which I never worried about because it's fine for quick trips to the vet and what-not, but not so much for 10-hour journeys. He'll have to deal with it again for the return trip, unfortunately (and hopefully it won't be no dang 10 hours this time), but if we ever have to do this again in his lifetime, I know to go buy a bigger fat cat carrier for him to travel in.

We got to the hotel and got me all checked-in, no problems. I was able to get 15% off the normal rate using a discount code I have through my work. The hotel staff has actually been very cool. I talked to the manager (or maybe owner, I wasn't sure) a bit, and he told me that they're not normally a pet-friendly hotel, but they've made an exception during the hurricane for the evacuees, which I think is extremely cool of them. I've had zero problems with my room, it's very clean and comfortable, and housekeeping has respected my DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. The kitties settled right in. I thought they'd be all weirded out and freaked by the unfamiliar surroundings, but nope. None of them have even taken any interest in the door or escaping. In fact, within the first half-hour, they were all alternately curiously exploring their new temporary digs, or carelessly lounging on the bed with me.

Now here we are 3 nights later, and they've actually settled in so well there isn't any room left in the bed for me. No, really. This is me, right now, having been banished the arm chair, sitting with my feet up on the bed and writing this post:

20161008_220559.jpg

They're such little a-holes.

As far as the actual hurricane damage to my town, it's pretty much a mess. Lots of flooding and downed trees and power lines. Also, an entire section of I-95 near my town is completely closed down, going both ways. My Mom is losing her mind because we can't go home tomorrow like we originally planned, but that's her typical drama. Anything that inconveniences her is the worst thing in the entire world, basically. (Really glad the cats were a perfect excuse/reason to have my own space during this evacuation.) My stepdad keeps saying we're going home as soon as they open I-95 back up, but I keep telling them there's bigger problems than just that. Primarily that police are stationed at the county line, and are not letting anybody return until they get the road cleared of fallen trees and busted power lines. Who knows how long that will take. Tonight we extended my hotel room through Tuesday, but they said that if we check-out on Monday, they'll just refund the one-night's stay.

So that's that! We're all safe and sound, and will HOPEFULLY be back on the road headed home on Monday. Fingers crossed!

With that all covered, it's time for some Day 6 Plans!

Day6-Itin%201.png

This will be a comparatively chill day that includes just one park,and a somewhat later start... sorta. This is the morning I'll be endeavoring to get up and get some time in at...

bc-day2.png

Stormalong Bay! This will be the real test of that new swimsuit I bought, too! Hoping to spend some time floating along the lazy river, maybe checking out a jaccuzi, and perhaps even just relaxing poolside with a drink in one hand and my Kindle in the other (because drinking at 8am is totally accpetable on vacation). Around 10am, I'll head back up to the room to get changed and cleaned up, then back down to the pool deck for lunch at...

hurricane-hanna-grill-00-new.jpg

Hurricane Hannah's! Which I know it seems kinda silly to be excited about eating at a pool bar, but it's all for one specific item. I've been itching to sink my teeth into this beauty for ages...

hurricane-hanna-s-grill.jpg

Lobster, Shrimp, and Scallop Roll. It just looks SO TASTY!

After that, I'll be on my way for a full day of fun back at...

epcot-night.png

Epcot! I'll begin by strolling (scooting) along through World Showcase over to my first FP+ of the day...

Frozen-Ever-After-580-1.jpg

Frozen Ever After! While I was sad to see Maelstrom go, I have to admit, I'm excited to check this out!

After my ride through the northern kingdom of Arendale, I'll then stroll (scoot) along exploring Norway and Mexico on my way down to my next FP: The Character Spot! Because I love an opportunity to get pics with classic Mickey & Minnie!

From there, I'm going to try for another first, especially since this one is likely going away soon, I want to make sure to get it done before it's gone forever...

energy.png

ellen-energy.png

Ellen's Energy Adventure! Not that I have some big love of Energy or anything, but I dig Ellen, and I dig Bill Nye! But mainly I just don't want it to go away without ever having seen it. And I know it's silly long, so it should kill just the right amount of time before my third FP, over at.

mission.png

Mission: Space! Green Team, of course. Because I'm a big ol' wussy girl about spinning rides. But I love the more mellower Green side!

From there, it's a little trip back up through World Showcase to resume my country touring and probably some F&W nibbling along the way. I'll start in China, and the goal is to make my way through at least Morocco by 7pm. Because then it will be time for my dinner ADR at...

monsieurpaul.png

Monsieur Paul! I don't see much about it on these boards, but it's one I've always been incredibly curious about. And it's probably the nicest restaurant I've EVER eaten at, too. So I'm really really excited for this one!

monsieur-paul-food.png

I'm expecting this to be a longer meal, which is good, since I figure I should be wrapping up my meal right around the time Illuminations is wrapping up (which I'll be seeing later in the week). Then I can stroll (scoot) right back over to Future World, for tonight is late EMH at Epcot! Two main goals during this time: Single rider line for...

test.jpg

Test Track! Followed by one more ride of Soarin'. Beyond that, just playing it by ear, hanging around, and soaking up the enjoyment of Epcot at night!

Around 11:30pm, I'll make my way back to the International Gateway and on to the Beach Club to tuck myself into bed for the night!

Last edited:
I am so happy your safe! I hope the damage isn't to bad when you get back. This stuff is so scary! Also get home safe!

Plans as always look great!

Glad you were safe during the hurricane! I hope you are able to go home soon! I'm going to try Tusker house breakfast on my next trip I saw it in one of your dining reports and was sold!

That looks divine.

I'm so glad you are safe in your cozy hotel room! I'm sure it's frustrating not knowing what is going on at home though. Ugh.

Loving your plans though. The relaxing morning at BC sounds so nice. Right now actually...sigh!

That's so great that the hotel owners are making an exception to their pet policy for hurricane evacuees - very nice of them. :thumbsup2

I've never hung out at Stormalong Bay either but am really looking forward to it next spring! I will have to check out Hurricane Hannah's. I'm thinking a morning relaxing by the pool while my parents do their own thing would be wonderful.

Hope your drive back home is much shorter and that you can get going very soon!

Your morning at SAB sounds lovely. You'll have to wait a little while until Hurricane Hana opens up before you can have that drink. ;)

Ellen's Energy Adventure! Not that I have some big love of Energy or anything, but I dig Ellen, and I dig Bill Nye! But mainly I just don't want it to go away without ever having seen it. And I know it's silly long, so it should kill just the right amount of time before my third FP, over at.
Ellen is a cute show. It used to be one of our "must do's" every trip. ::yes::

Glad to hear you are safe and that your kitties have adjusted well. I am laughing at your being kicked off the bed, because my two kitties do that to me! I love reading your super-detailed plans, and I am IN AWE of your ability to go, go, go from sunup to sundown! I bow to you!!

12 days until WDW! :hyper:

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! (18 for me, but who's counting....:rolleyes1)

Now here we are 3 nights later, and they've actually settled in so well there isn't any room left in the bed for me. No, really. This is me, right now, having been banished the arm chair, sitting with my feet up on the bed and writing this post:

20161008_220559.jpg

I heart this picture so much.... Look at those sweet furry faces, all content and curled up and happy! I have four of these critters myself; I'm a total cat sap. :flower3:paw: So cool that you could have them in your room; good call on the hotel's part!

Aaaaand I love that the first item on your EP agenda is face painting!! :rotfl2: (and yes, I will have it done and YES!...I will post a pic for you!)

Gotta get caught up on your last 3 updates!

Soarin'! If forced to choose a favorite ride in all the parks, this would be it. I can't get enough of it, and I am beyond excited

You're gonna love it!!

Once I head back out, the Polynesian will be my destination! I can't decide if I should (1) take a bus from the Beach Club to Magic Kingdom, then grab the resort monorail, or (2) scoot all the way through Epcot, then grab a bus directly to the Polynesian. Any advice from those who have had to do this before?

We did this a few times and my preferred method would be take the bus from
BC to MK, the bus will most likely be less crowded from there than taking it from Epcot. Then just catch the monorail to the Poly. But I love all things monorail and anytime I can get on it I will. I've also done the monorail from Epcot to the TTC and switched to the resort monorail from there which is pretty easy, a lot of it depends on the amount of people coming out of Epcot at the same time you are.

Ohana! Would you believe that I nearly skipped this one? But @Jerusalem Gal and her dining report convinced me otherwise. Close call, because I need this food in my life!

Loved Ohana!!!!

How can I resist another Facepainting session?! Simple... I can't!

Gotta love me some Billie face painting!

ICE CREAM! That's the Milky Way Sundae. I know people are always talking about the No Way Jose, but I'm waaaaay more into caramel than I am into peanut butter. And I mean, just look at that thing! YES, that is an actual freakin' Milky Way candy bar stuck in the whipped cream! Yeah, this is totally going in my belly.

Me too girl! Caramel over peanut butter all day long

they've made an exception during the hurricane for the evacuees, which I think is extremely cool of them

That is awesome

So that's that! We're all safe and sound, and will HOPEFULLY be back on the road headed home on Monday.

Hope you get to head back home tomorrow!

Monsieur Paul! I don't see much about it on these boards, but it's one I've always been incredibly curious about. And it's probably the nicest restaurant I've EVER eaten at, too. So I'm really really excited for this one!

Looking forward to hearing how you like this one

I've been lurking on this ptr and just read your last trip report. Your plans look wonderful, and I'm so jealous that you are so close!!

So happy that you and your family are safe and that your cats have adjusted well. How wonderful for the hotel owners to accommodate evacuees' pets.
Your Epcot plans sound great.
I'm looking forward to your report on Stormalong Bay. It looks so wonderfully relaxing.

Hopefully you're on your way back home right now. I'm glad your friend has been keeping you posted on the local progress though.

Wishes Nighttime Spectacular! Everybody loves Wishes, and I'm no exception. I arranged my schedule the way I did because as much as I love HalloWishes, I have to see regular Wishes too. My trip wouldn't be complete without it!

We'll be there watching Wishes too...for the first time ever! I'm sure my face will be a little damp. Tears or sweat...I'm not telling. :)

SAY WHA????? That looks fabulous!

Glad you're safe and sound, even if the whole ordeal is taking longer than expected. Hope that you find your home damage-free when you return.

The trip up on Thursday took about 9 hours (instead of the usual 5 hours), which put the kitties in their carriers for 10 straight hours.
Poor kitties :(

They all look completely cozy and chill.

Wow, this looks AMAZING! And a drink at 8am is TOTALLY okay on vacation ::yes::

and I dig Bill Nye!
I love, love, love Bill Nye the Science Guy!
BILL, BILL, BILL, BILL, BILL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter