Adults and “skipping” at rope drop.

Honestly, I kinda get why the girls would be weirded out by a random dude starting a conversation like that. I get that was not your intention and that you had no bad motives. But I get it. No need to call them names just because they weren't receptive to you.

Also I get the CM at the pizza place, honestly I wouldn't have gotten the joke either in that situation 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, that cookie line looks insane and I 100% agree about adults running. Kids I would get, the excitement of it and everything, but adults should know better. It's dangerous to run at rope drop.
I agree with you. I am socially awkward and sometimes I come off as rude to new people if I'm not into spontaneous conversation. My DH's family dubbed me as "stuck up" when they first met me. What they didn't realize (hopefully they do now lol) is that I can be the nicest person once you get to know me (often to a fault). It just takes me a bit to warm up. I also take things very literally so I likely wouldn't have understood the joke at Pizza Planet either. I may have even been worried the guest was angry at me and I missed something!

I agree with you. I am socially awkward and sometimes I come off as rude to new people if I'm not into spontaneous conversation. My DH's family dubbed me as "stuck up" when they first met me. What they didn't realize (hopefully they do now lol) is that I can be the nicest person once you get to know me (often to a fault). It just takes me a bit to warm up. I also take things very literally so I likely wouldn't have understood the joke at Pizza Planet either. I may have even been worried the guest was angry at me and I missed something!
I relate to you so much!! I am incredibly shy and it takes me a long time to warm up as well. I feel like I get labeled a snob too. Usually when meeting new people I just listen and take things in and don’t talk a lot. I also have RBF, which I try to be more aware of. Lol. But I think that doesn’t help people’s perception of me either. 🤷‍♀️ it used to really bother me when I was younger, but now that I’m older I don’t care as much. Life is too short to worry about things like that!

Women not wanting to converse with random men isn’t them being stuck up. It’s them simply not being under any obligation to talk to people they don’t want to talk to. No matter how nice you may be, you need to remember that woman are under no obligation to give you the time of day. They’re under no obligation to be polite to you. They’re under no obligation to engage with you in any way shape or form. What you want out of the encounter, the expectation of conversation, shows absolutely no care for what they want, which seems to be to be left alone, without being classified as rude, stuck up, or anything else. The owe you absolutely nothing.

I, as a woman, should be allowed to ignore everyone in the park if I want. Excuse me for trying to enjoy my morning in peace. I’m tired of men thinking my job is to provide entertainment for them.

Women not wanting to converse with random men isn’t them being stuck up. It’s them simply not being under any obligation to talk to people they don’t want to talk to. No matter how nice you may be, you need to remember that woman are under no obligation to give you the time of day. They’re under no obligation to be polite to you. They’re under no obligation to engage with you in any way shape or form. What you want out of the encounter, the expectation of conversation, shows absolutely no care for what they want, which seems to be to be left alone, without being classified as rude, stuck up, or anything else. The owe you absolutely nothing.

I, as a woman, should be allowed to ignore everyone in the park if I want. Excuse me for trying to enjoy my morning in peace. I’m tired of men thinking my job is to provide entertainment for them.
Agreed! The fact that he felt upset enough to come here and call them names and complain about 2 young women at his big 40yo age is very ... odd to say the least.

EDITED TO ADD: Thinking about it, the "issue" with the CM seems to be on the same vein. The expectation that someone should react a certain way to WK's commentary (in the case of the CM, they didn't get the joke or laughed) and then getting upset when that person doesn't follow the expected script.

Last edited:
The two daughters – 21 and 23 – seemed a bit haughty and/or annoyed at my talking to them. Usually people aren’t like that; often they're cool and receptive. The older girl in particular struck me as arrogant. Oh well. That's her (and her parents’) problem.

Not cool to call her arrogant, seriously you need to understand not everyone enjoys talking to strangers. I would also be careful taking random/up close crowd photos. I used to think your trip reports were fun to read but this is very odd red flag behavior- especially as I assume older adult man being upset over younger woman not speaking to you(?)

Last edited:
I don't get the joke... at all. I probably would have been confused, as well. I would suggest maybe considering that rather than being "miffed," perhaps the cast member was just very confused.

And I will agree with previous posters about your judgment of the girls in their young twenties. They don't know you and you start talking to them and their family. You have no idea what their history is. Maybe one or both are extremely shy. Maybe they have had a bad experience with men. Maybe they were just wanting to have some nice family time. Maybe they were hoping to plan their day as a family and didn't want to spend the time making small talk with a stranger. Whatever their reasoning, they are under no obligation to speak to a stranger, and to call them haughty and say they are their parents' problem is very judgmental and raises some red flags that make me think that perhaps their girls' reactions weren't completely off-base.

I have daughters about that age (20 and 24) and I also have no problem striking up a conversation with a random person in line, at the grocery store, at DL, whatever. However, it always makes my daughters slightly uncomfortable, like they think I'm bothering people. I'm not and I do pay attention for indications conversation isn't welcome. But I've also met a lot of interesting people that way.

I might have a problem with a 40s guy attempting to talk with my daughters if they were on their own, but if he was mainly talking to me or my husband and me, I wouldn't think anything of it. This comes up fairly often from one of my daughters ... she works part time at a coffee house and it always makes her uncomfortable when a guy over about 35 attempts to engage her in conversation.

There's a lot on social media the past few years about women not needing to feel obligated to smile, etc., when they're approached by a male in public. GenZ girls/women especially would be very aware of that. Men above that age might not be.

Thanks for the pictures, they're always great to see! And now I've got to add Harbor Gallery cookies to my list!

Last edited:
Maybe the young women didn’t want to engage with a stranger? And the poor CM being called out on a Disney board for not getting your joke? Good grief..glad I didn’t work at Dland during the social media age.

I usually enjoy reading your DLR notes, but this came off super weird.

Last edited:
Wow, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who found this post so off-putting. Of course, the OP often reports on whether he decides to "gift" the first ride on Peter Pan (a distinction that would be noticed by few and cared about by even fewer) to other guests based on his judgements about their character and whether they "deserve" it.

I don't like talking to people either that I do not know, I'm just shy. I do my best to maintain a conversation as long as needed, and then am glad it's over. It's probably why I was initially mildly interested about the Galactic Starcruiser, until I learned that ,to make the most of the experience, you would have to interact with people for most of the trip, and that, plus the price, made it an impossibility that I would ever experience it.

The only time I would have a conversation with two young women that I did not know is if they approached me, or I was lost or something like that

Being first on PP is actually a big deal for some people. I'm sure whoever he's given it to was very happy.

I totally get why people were upset by the comments about the young women whose family he was talking with being unfriendly, but this guy has provided a lot of helpful content here and has done nice things for a lot of people on this board for literally years. The amount of vitriol displayed in some of these comments is over the top IMO.

Being first on PP is actually a big deal for some people. I'm sure whoever he's given it to was very happy.

I totally get why people were upset by the comments about the young women whose family he was talking with being unfriendly, but this guy has provided a lot of helpful content here and has done nice things for a lot of people on this board for literally years. The amount of vitriol displayed in some of these comments is over the top IMO.
My post will probably get deleted, but I find it really hypocritical that the OP complains about runners and skippers when there is video of him doing that exact same thing just to be first at Peter Pan. He then turns to the person filming him and takes off his hat so there is no doubt who that runner was.

Was the comment to the CM was supposed to be a Taxi Driver reference? If so, another character with an obsession. I am over 60 and would be annoyed with some random stranger talking to me. I'd politely make small talk but end it quickly.

I'm truly interested in how he is able to beat people to Peter Pan when they are running and he isn't. I can't seem to get an answer and while I have no interest in being first on Peter Pan, I'd love to know how he does it so I can hopefully get to Mr. Toad more quickly.

You’re buying into the (frankly bizarre) notion that it’s his job or right to “give” it to anyone. Any time he’s first to the ride he reports on it as if he somehow magicked himself there, and any time he isn’t first it’s because people “cheated.”

Also, look up the definition of vitriol. This is not that.

As I have read the comments from start to finish I found myself nodding in agreement with the various posts. So here is my take, whatever its worth.

I have read enough of WK's posts to know that he is very outgoing and loves to have conversations with CM's, fellow Dis'ers and strangers. He finds enjoyment in these interactions. He does this out of his love for DL. Ok.

On the flip-side, there are those that are not seeking those interactions and will enjoy the parks privately in their own way with their friends and family. Ok

I understand both sides but we need to be careful not to judge others that don't align with our thoughts or beliefs of how things should go. There are so many variables involved.

Because I have two DD's, 24 and 18 that I can be over protective. If I was the Dad in that described interaction and felt the conversation was more directed at me and my wife, Ok. If I felt one was trying to include my DD's in a way described by many have you, I would immediately shut down the conversation in a polite and direct way but not to cause a scene. But this Papa Bear would deal with it, make no mistake about it.

Who is right?!?! We all bring to the table different expectations, feelings, and past experiences that influence the outcome of our encounters.

This is getting out of hand. An individual posted his perception. It was his experience and his description of the experience. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but there is no need to attack him. As the guidelines state, please step away from the discussion.

DIS Board Guidelines

While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction

This is getting out of hand. An individual posted his perception. It was his experience and his description of the experience. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but there is no need to attack him. As the guidelines state, please step away from the discussion.

DIS Board Guidelines

While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction
No one is attacking anyone and no one is being sarcastic. People are discussing their reactions to a post that clearly touched a nerve with many. Negative reactions are not by definition “attacks.”

Not sure why you think it’s your job to tell people what they’re allowed to discuss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter