Advice for First Timer

idratherbeinwdw

<br><font face="comic sans MS" color=violet>I'll n
Hi There All!

I am new to this board, my usual "hangout" is the DVC boards. But my wonderful friend Elaine is using her frequent flier miles to take me to DLP for my birthday! I should also thank her DH Bill, because it's due to the business he started that they have so many miles.

Anyway, I am so excited, we are just getting started with the plans. We will be staying at the DLH , arriving November 16 and checking out November 19. I did a search here, but could not come up with any threads that have advice/tips for first time visitors to DLP. I would really appreciate any of your first hand knowledge regarding the park. I am aware of and been checking out the official website, and I have the unofficial guide to DLP. But I always find that advice from folks who have been there is the best. So what can you tell me about DLP that might make my trip even better than I know it's going to be?

Thanks so much for anything you can share! <TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=95 bgColor=#ffffff borderColorLight=#000000 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap align=middle>DLP!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mar'

Hi again!! Disneyland Hotel - you lucky girl!!! :cloud9:

I haven't got many tips, but I can tell you that as your stay there is mainly during the week, it shouldn't be to busy. If you do feel the need to use FastPasses you can hold one FP for each of the FP attractions simultaneously! You will also be there during the Christmas season, which starts earlier than the WDW one as we don't have to wait until after Thanksgiving!! And with a bit of luck you should get to see Fantillusion!

Our guide of choice is the Brit's Guide by one of our DLP moderators Simon Veness. He is bringing out an updated version in Feb, but that's too late for you, and me!! But there hasn't been a huge amount of change amd he has given us some updates recently. You can find one on the end of this thread, and also here.

You might also find reading the trip reports helpful - they can be found together in the sticky at the top.

Keep your expectations really low so you'll only be a little disappointed.

Thank you Michael623 for coming on to the DLP BOARD with that gem of infomation. :rolleyes:

Everyone here will agree that DLP is not WDW!! BUT we go to appreciate the park that Disney built here in Europe, which has some superior rides and some beautiful theming. It's different, but that doesn't, in anyway, make it a disappointment.

I was going to just ignore the naysayer, but you did a great job of telling it like it is Becky, thanks. I'm well aware DLP is not WDW, but I know my friend and I are going to have a blast. I love all things Disney, and I am sure I'll have a super time visiting the European version of Disneyland.

Now where are those helpful hints DLP people? I have told my friend I'll get her all inside scoop, you don't want to make a liar out of me do you? :teeth:

Now where are those helpful hints DLP people? I have told my friend I'll get her all inside scoop, you don't want to make a liar out of me do you?

It's been very quiet round here today!! But if needs be, I'll just keep bumping your thread up for you!!! :teeth:

I was going to just ignore the naysayer, but you did a great job of telling it like it is Becky, thanks.

Actually, I'm now feeling bad - I was a bit rude! Sorry Michael, but you have to admit it wasn't the most helpful comment - particular for someone who's already booked their trip!!

A few tips :)
get to the park for opening.
Aim to get FP for Peter Pan first as they are often gone by mid-day.

Reid

Thanks for the bump up Bexx. I also realized it's a lot later in Europe than it is in the U.S., so perhaps the local experts will check in in the morning.

And thanks to you for the Peter Pan tip Cyrano. I hear that is one of the attractions that is better at DLP than at WDW. Since it is one of my favorites in Florida I am looking forward to seeing the Paris version. First and foremost I can't wait to see the HM, but I'll be sure to get a FP so I can see Peter Pan.

Don't think you were rude at all Becky.

I love WDW but I especially love DLP and taking that one park into consideration find there is very little difference.

You must get to the park for opening - if not before to get up Main Street before the crowds.

Depends on which rides you like best - for me with or without children I love Fantasyland (I'm not a big ride person). You can ride Peter Pan at this time no problem probably a couple of times then grab a fastpass for later.

Dumbo is always a good one to do first, if you like that sort of thing as the queues are horrendous. POTC tends to be a walk on till at least mid morning, after that the queues start building.

I always try to leave the shops and shows till later.

If you're going into the Studios you should have that done by mid afternoon although you might want to hang around for the parade.

I've never been during the Christmas season - I'm vey jealous.

Have a great time! :cool1:

I can't compare with WDW but if you like HM then I think you'll love Phantom Manor, it is one of our favourites along with Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Reid

Middle of November I shouldn't think the crowds will be large at all. We went end of last November and the longest queue I saw all week was 20 mins for Peter Pan. Early morning and after the Christmas Parade all the rides in Fantasyland including PP were walk ons! It was wonderful, we rode as many rides in an hour as we managed to ride all day in July.

Hi
I would just like to say I hope you enjoy your trip to DLP. Having been to WDW recently I truly believe that for the following reasons DLP is superior to WDW:
1. The Rides: IMHO, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Phantom Manor (HM) and Rock n Roller Coaster are far superior to their Orlando counterparts.
2. Everything is all in one place and it's easy to get from one place to another on foot. This saves an enormous amount of time.
3. It has always been much less crowded when we have been there.
4. More characters just wandering about, and less of a queue system to meet them. Bit less organised, but you tend to see a lot more of them about.

The flip side, however, it is not USA, and so you lose out on the food and American levels of service, and of course the weather can be very unpredictable (but living in the UK I am used to this!)

Hope you have an amazing time!

Sarah :cheer2:

I also prefer DLP to WDW. The park is much more beautiful than Magic Kingdom and the castle at DLP beats WDW hands down!!! I think you have picked a great time to go as IMHO the colder weather lends itself perfectly to the Christmas theme (makes it feel more like Christmas). You have picked a wonderful hotel to stay at particularly when the weather is a bit colder, means you can nip up to your room or the bar for a hot chocolate to warm up and it is the only Disney hotel in the world that is situated right at the gates to the park (a big bonus!!!). If you are looking for tips on where to eat there is a website you can go on that will give you reviews of all the restaurants as well as menus. I can't remember what it is so can someone else please post it? Thanks. I also agree that the previously mentioned rides are better than their American counterparts. I think you will have a great time. I will come back again if I remember anything else. Unfortunately quite a few of the regulars are away on holiday at the moment, I think they are due back soon so no doubt you will get tonnes more info.

If you are looking for tips on where to eat there is a website you can go on that will give you reviews of all the restaurants as well as menus. I can't remember what it is so can someone else please post it? Thanks.

Is this the one you mean Nicola - the DLP Food Guide?

Hello!

I am in no way an expert...but I have had one trip to WDW and one to DLRP. Do you like character meals? If so, we went to Walt's for the character breakfast and LOVED it. Lots of characters, Pluto, Gepetto, the Penguin from Mary Poppins, Mr. Smee(he is too cute), Chip and Dale (Tic and Tac to the French). The food was great...think chocolate croissant :cool1: and it was a fun way to start our day.

Have a great time!
Katy :sunny:

Thanks Becky :cool1: That is indeed the one I meant.

OK, time for my rebuttal. I'm not talking out of school here, I went to DLP for 4 days in spring 2004. The DL park is beautiful! I loved Phantom Manner, Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are both way better than DL or WDW. I also felt Cinemagique is one of the best Disney attractions at any park. But I was hugely disappointed. As I mentioned it is a beautiful park but with a bunch of employees that would rather be anywhere else. I never met a single CM with any enthusiasm. Both parks were grossly understaffed. I was in line for SM and the que forked 3 times with no arrow instructing which way to go. I ended up walking back stage somewhere, it took me 2 minutes to figure out which fork combination to take and there were several other guests wandering aroung ainlessly too. Maintenance was lacking. I went to 3 separate attractions and the translator headphones weren't working for me or my wife. People who complain that DCA or AK are half day parks should visit the Studios park in Paris how they can charge the same admission for this park is beyond me. And the hotel is where it really came to a head. Granted I stayed at Newport Bay and never went into the DL hotel but I never so much as saw a CM at the hotel crack a smile. There was peeling wall paper and stains on every inch of the carpet in the hallway leading to my room. I spent one night at the Holiday Inn and wished I spent my whole stay there. It wasn't even about the money (although it was 1/3 the price), I met friendly employees who smiled and joked with me and really made me feel welcome. They were almost, dear I say Disney-like at the Holiday Inn. I love visiting Disney Parks as much everyone else on these boards. I just got back from DL and have reservations for WDW in January already. When I go to a Disney park part of the excitement is the atmosphere and the Disney spirit that is created by the CMs and to me this park lacked it. It almost gave me the vibe of a Six Flags with Disney rides. I'm also not one of those jaded Americans who think the French singled me out and were rude to me because I'm American; they were rude to everyone. In short I will return to DLP because they have great rides and the flight is the same length as DL from Boston but this time I will go in with different expectations.

Fair enough Michael, and I apologise again if I was rude. :) I did look at a few of your previous posts, and, just as you've mentioned here, you were very positive about some things (particularly the rides), while you obviously had bad experiences in other areas. But it might have been worth explaining this a bit more in your previous post.

We've been 5 times and never been met with anything other than smiles and enthusiasm from CMs both in the parks and in the hotels - I guess we all have different experiences and exopectations. My wife and I both rate DLRP above WDW (just her there - I've not been) and Tokyo Disney but it's horses for courses at the end of the day.

As for things to look out for, that haven't already been mentioned:

The Dragon underneath the Castle - wonderful example of animatronics and a brilliant example of 'creating an atmoshphere'.

If you go on Pirates of the Caribbean you'll notice that the ride is the reverse of that in America (so I'm told) but it does follow the story of the film which I found strange as I always thought they'd use the American version for the inspiration - glad they didn't!

Take at least a few words of French in your memory - like any country that's speaks a different language, they appreciate the effort.

Hope you have a great time, we've been in November and the lack of crowds was a great bonus! Do wrap up warm though, there'll be a chill in the air!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter