Advice for First Timer

I didn't take it personally. People are way more rude on most of the other boards. I find most Brits don't have a mean bone in their body. You were so quick to apologize. ;) I forgot to mention the absolutely best thing about DLP...Creme Brulee everywhere!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, I will be sure to write everything down so I don't forget.

I was thrilled to hear about the Christmas celebration, what a bonus! I can hardly wait to see the DLP castle and experience all the attractions. I appreciate all you've shared, and welcome any and all tips anyone would like to add.

Two questions maybe some folks can help with--Any suggestions on good places to view the Christmas parade? (BTW Eileds, I hope you get to go at Christmastime eventually). And can anyone compare the size of DLP to DL in California? Just trying to get an idea in my head of what to expect. I am postive it will be a great experience, as MK is my favorite park in WDW, and from what I hear DLP is even better.

Thanks again for being so helpful, I just LOVE the DIS boards people!

Mar'

I'm curious about this too. Does anyone have the exact size of each park? If I had to guess I would say that DLP is a bit bigger than DL but not as big as MK.

We always watch the parades from the bottom of Main Street - usually outside a shop I think is called the Storybook Store or something similar. It's never too crowded there whereas sometimes in Main Street the crowd can be 5 deep, and the children always manage to get to the front without a problem.

On the subject of CMs, I've been to DLP 4 times now and have never had a problem with any of them. Some have been friendlier than others but no-one has ever been rude to us. I always remember one on IASW who intercepted a tantrum about to start from my eldest DD by teaching her "Bonjour". I was impressed at the time and she still talks about it.

Thanks for the thread.

I am also taking my first ever trip to Europe and of course DLP in November. My travel buddy wanted to go to Europe and I said fine as long as you realize that it will include a trip to Disneyland!!

I'm am trying to get to all the parks during the Disneyland 50th anniversary celebration. Already been to the CA park a few times, going to Paris in November and WDW in Feb. I just need to get to Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Keep the tips coming!!

Also, if you want to do the Buffalo Bill dinner show, make reservations when you book your room. It's very popular. When you call, they'll take your credit card number but won't charge a deposit. Instead, you'll pay in full 30 days prior to your trip. They'll tell you the exact date your credit card will be charged. (If you want to do a day trip to Paris, they can also arrange this when you make your room reservation.)

Dining reservations are not as hard to come by as they are in WDW. You can make reservations when you get there.

There's a shuttle bus that runs directly from CDG to DLP. So no worries there.

I'll be at the Disneyland Hotel in a couple of weeks. I'll post a report when I return.

Michael

I'm sure that someone will be able to help you with the exact size of the park, I think that the MK is bigger than DLP.
I have to say that I agree with you about the Newport Bay, we had the same experience that you did and would have no wish to go back there. ( Other people love it though )
I have had mixed reactions from CM's some are very friendly and pleasant and others are just downright rude, one that springs to mind from our last visit is the bar man at SL, he was downright rude. Whenever I went to the bar he pretended that he couldn't understand a word of English and yet he clearly understood it very well at other times. Maybe it was my welsh accent:confused3
They really do need a few more CM's in the parks who speak english, if only for reasons of safety.
I guess my DH sums it up quite well when he says ( this is just our opinion ) "The french do not and cannot do disney like the Americans." He thinks that Disney should bring a few more American cast members to the parks to show the French how to do it.:rotfl:
Anyway none of the above spoils the enjoyment of the parks, it is still Disney and we keep going back.
Michael, maybe you should try a different hotel next time we love both the Cheyanne and the SL and I am certainly being swung towards the NYH thanks to some brainwashing on this board;)

Mar, Have a great time at DLP. I wish I had a friend like yours :)

Dee8197 said:
Michael

Michael, maybe you should try a different hotel next time we love both the Cheyanne and the SL and I am certainly being swung towards the NYH thanks to some brainwashing on this board;)

Dee, Don't know what you mean by this! Who would do such a thing like that :rotfl2: ;)

I dont think I have any tips that haven't been mentioned, especially as I am yet to complete my first 'in control' trip - 11 Days!!

Maybe the most usesful things I've learnt on the boards were about: the Good Morning Fantasyland breakfast (walk, dont ride to it!), that you can have many FPs at once (already mentioned!) and... lots of things about the different restraunts etc, but the dlp food site can cover all that! Do a search for favourite restaurants on here to find some really good (and honest) recommendations and criticisms of practically every place you can eat!

Being a WDW vet., I'm a little confused by the fast pass system at DLP. If we can have several fast passes at once, will staying in a Castle Club room at DLH really be that much of an advantage? :confused3 Could someone please explain exactly how the fast pass system works & how the regular system is different from staying in a CC room? Thanks :)

I found this FastPass information on DLP.info. It's a little out of date because it only mentions about guests staying at the DLH being given the three hotel FPs - whereas they have since extended this privilege to some of the other hotels (and taken it away again from some of those!!)

This is the bit about the VIP and hotel FPs -

"Guests of the suites at the Disney Hotels should note that they receive a "VIP FastPass" during the check-in which allows unlimited(!) use of the FastPass-entrances to all FastPass-enabled attractions without the need to obtain a FastPass-ticket and wait for FastPass-time slot to open. The VIP FastPass is limited to the number of guests booked into the suite.

Guests of the Disneyland Hotel with the exception of guests in its suites receive three "Disneyland Hotel FastPass" per stay each of which allows them once(!) to use the FastPass-entrance of one(!)l FastPass-enabled attraction of their choice without the need to obtain a FastPass-ticket and wait for FastPass-time slot to open."

My only question now is - do Castle Club guests currently receive VIP or just the hotel FPs?

Becky,
Thanks for the info. :) That link is great! I hadn't seen it before. I have more reading to do. :teeth: The fast pass system at DLP is wonderful.

I thought it was only the Castle Club that got VIP passes. :confused3 Obviously, I'm confused. :blush: I'll have to do more research on the suites. Although, with the FP system the way it is, we'll have to decide if it's even worth booking a suite. Thanks again :sunny:

Wow Becky, I didn't know about the DL Hotel/FP connection, thanks! And thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas/advice. I read this thread several times a day, I appreciate all the postings.

Mar'

Hi idratherbeinwdw!!! I just got back on 25th from California. I think you'll find DLP very very similar to the MK in Anaheim but I'd guess the Anaheim one is a bit bigger though I don't have any stats. The layout is certainly very similar.

Personally we always watch parades at DLP from the seats for the Castle stage or a bit further up from outside the Pizzeria Bella Notte. People always gather in Main Street or round the hub and the areas I mentioned are often almost empty. The parade passes right by the Castle Stage seats and finishes opposite the Bella Notte so you'll get a great view.
Hope you have a great time!!

Becky,
I can't get the "DLP Food Guide" link to work. Typing in the web address doesn't work either. :confused3 Any idea what the problem is? Thanks again for all your help. :sunny:

Any idea what the problem is?

Sorry, no! I've just tried the link myself and it works fine for me, but maybe that's because my PC knows the link or something technical like that!! So you've typed in www.dlpfoodguide.com and that still doesn't work?

I hope someone else might be able to help with this problem

I loved the restaurant in the Pirates of Caribbean which you will need to book in advance as it gets busy.

Hopefully you can ice skate too outside the New York hotel at the time of year you are going.

Take lots of warm clothes!!!

Have a great time.

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter