Advice for visit with new T1D diagnosis?

Whenever we have to make changes to my husband's basal rate, bolus rate or delivery we do overnight checks. Even if you have a fantastic BG at bedtime, there's no way to know what the BG + insulin onboard + insulin sensitivity will translate to overnight. Especially in the beginning, you may need to wake her for overnight testing whenever there's a change (environmental or medical) so that you have good information on how it's affecting her.
Most kids don't even wake up. I know mine never did. Grab a hand, test, look, back to sleep for me. He never was disturbed.

Oh, that's another important thing (not at all disney related, but it's important) . Your child is still young. The worst (and I mean it) the worst thing you can do is let this be her job. It's your job for now. It will be her job the rest of her life. Just remember that. She will not go off to college not knowing what to do, trust me. Do all of it for now. All of it. And watch for her trying to claim the whole thing and trying to shut you out. Kids get burnt out quickly. So, carry the supplies yourself. Do the testing. Do the shots. Take away as much of it as you possibly can from her. Let her just be her. And there are no "bad" blood sugars. They're just high or low. The best thing someone ever told me was that the only answer when your child tells you their blood sugar should be "thanks for telling me". If you have to go into the bathroom and scream, do it, but infront of your child, you are calm and cool and it's alllllll groovy. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter