• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Air passengers behaving badly

my friend's husband is a cop one of the world's largest airports... Many cases where they have to remove people is when there is prescription drugs AND alcohol. Basically people already borderline personality/agresssion wise who are nervous or other reasons and take some pill they normally dont take to chill/relax/sleep ( have a bad reaction) and then have a drink or two or three and then just snap .

these are usually the cases where you see the tic toc videos of people being hog tied and dragged off while mumbling jiberish

Also the US culture is often so that many take personal offense of "rudeness" AND responses. if somebody looks at one the wrong way, mutters something, or saying something they find a tad rude it is personal offense and attack back and thus an exchange starts that can get ugly... Other cultures yes there is "rudeness" but rarely do you see the other respond back or call it out,, the "offended" simply moves on and ignores, brushes off and forgets as making a scene is consider more rude than the original rude offense.
OTC cold medicine and alcohol also don't mix well. I've seen it recommended to take cold meds before flights even if you aren't sick to help with the ear pressure.

We had a late flight out of Fort Lauderdale in July which meant connections were very tight in Newark. When we landed and got close to the gate one passenger gets up and stands I. The aisle because “she needed to run to catch her connection”. Plane couldn’t move into gate until she sat down she was refusing to sit down made us ten minutes later

To start with they are not called stewards are you stuck in the 70s?
And garbage men are called waste collection technicians now. That doesn't make them not garbage men. Not that there is anything wrong with being a garbage man or a steward. A rose by any other name..... Shakespeare.

I can't speak for international travel, but I fly a lot domestically. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone behaving inappropriately on a plane. There's always an occasional bad apple, but given how stressful flying is these days I'm heartened that, in my experience, almost everyone behaves at least properly and most often courteously.

We had a late flight out of Fort Lauderdale in July which meant connections were very tight in Newark. When we landed and got close to the gate one passenger gets up and stands I. The aisle because “she needed to run to catch her connection”. Plane couldn’t move into gate until she sat down she was refusing to sit down made us ten minutes later
Our most recent flight was delayed. We had a lady toward the back of the plane who did the same. She did sit, but when we reached the gate she was literally pushing people out of the way to get through the aisle because she was going to be late to make her connecting flight. Everyone on the plane had the same issue and told her that, but she was convinced that she needed to get through first. Of course, she also pushed past everyone waiting on the jetway for our gate-checked bags (it was a tiny plane so everyone had to gate-check their carryon). We did try to tell her, but she just ignored everyone and continued being very rude.

And garbage men are called waste collection technicians now. That doesn't make them not garbage men. Not that there is anything wrong with being a garbage man or a steward. A rose by any other name..... Shakespeare.
Flight attendants has been universal for decades. When someone says stewardess they really date themselves. If you want to sound old by all means go ahead.

https://careersuk.virgin-atlantic.com/customer-services/cabin-crew

I am from an age when the young ladies were called air hostesses, and I was curious…. Virgin still seem to refer to stewards on their recruitment page.
They changed it in the 70s to be more gender-neutral. Obviously, there are lots of male flight attendants now. Stewardess has a more negative connotation because back in the day you had to look a certain way, be rail thin, and be in your early 20s to be a "stewardess".

They changed it in the 70s to be more gender-neutral. Obviously, there are lots of male flight attendants now. Stewardess has a more negative connotation because back in the day you had to look a certain way, be rail thin, and be in your early 20s to be a "stewardess".
And in the 60s there was the impression of the “swinging stewardess,” a male fantasy that they’d jump into bed with any 50 year old paunchy businessman. And I think the airlines promoted this impression.

“Fly me”

C10107B0-EBD3-4DEC-A2B5-EB7D59A32F85.jpeg

https://www.foxnews.com/us/mayhem-s...ace-fmr-air-marshal-reveals-cause-fueling-all

Shocked to see how much the incidents have increased in the past year.

Please don't just jump on me about hating the source I used, as I read a wide variety of news sources from a wide spectrum of sources on all sides of the issues.
Keep in mind, and this isn't to say we haven't had an increase on issues on planes and in airports, but in 2021 people still weren't traveling much. 2022 is when travel really ramped up. An increase should be expected and observations should keep this in mind if discussing year over year or even to 2020.

In addition one thing that I have noticed is that the airlines and airports are less lenient than in the days past, that's kudos for them they need to be less lenient, but in terms of drawing trends if they were lax on taking action before (which generally speaking they were) it's going to be easy to see an increase in incidents there too especially when we're talking about ones where police or FBI are involved meeting the plane at the gate or diverting the plane. Remember regulations have changed to harsher penalties so incidents in the past may not have amounted to much nor caught the media attention but for this or that one off situation.

That's good that it was stopped. It seems like even outside of planes, people have no issues listening to audio at max volume without headphones. I also hate when people have phone conversations with the speaker on so everyone can hear the person on the other end. I'm almost tempted to add in my commentary since I was suddenly being forced to listen to the conversation.
I have done that. I live in Chicago so ride public transit fairly often, and I frequently encounter people listening to music out loud or watching videos at full volume, or taking phone calls on speaker. Last week I was riding the train and the guy in front of me was watching videos on instagram or something. I started laughing and following along, and making comments about what was going on in the video. The guy turned around to look at me and I just put a syrupy sweet smile on my face. He stopped.

Not quite bad behavior, but one time on a Southwest flight a guy in my row wouldn't buckle his seatbelt. We were in the bulkhead seats and the flight attendants were sitting in their own seats (so facing our row) waiting for takeoff. This guy's seatbelt was just dangling in the aisle, so the flight attendant clearly saw it. Had to tell the guy three times to buckle it. And had to do it again when we were getting ready to land.

The guy didn't really put up a fight or anything, he just ignored the FA, several times. About a seatbelt, lol.

Not quite bad behavior, but one time on a Southwest flight a guy in my row wouldn't buckle his seatbelt. We were in the bulkhead seats and the flight attendants were sitting in their own seats (so facing our row) waiting for takeoff. This guy's seatbelt was just dangling in the aisle, so the flight attendant clearly saw it. Had to tell the guy three times to buckle it. And had to do it again when we were getting ready to land.

The guy didn't really put up a fight or anything, he just ignored the FA, several times. About a seatbelt, lol.
I saw a woman on our BA flight from Athens to Heathrow few weeks back get told to put her laptop away for takeoff. She acted like she was putting it back her in backpack but then just immediately took it out and placed it on her lap though she didn't open it back up again while initially taking she did open it back up before cruising altitude was reached. She didn't say a word to the FA but she clearly felt like this really short time period she couldn't be without her laptop :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter